Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fredericksburg.com: A new tone--if not new results (M.E.T.) Unbelievable (or maybe not) that I don't know Rule #10

Skadden

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2011/012011/01062011/598717/index_html?page=2

Say what you want about Shanahan, he does at least bring a different tone and fosters a much different -- and better -- culture to the team. While that's not too surprising, the contrast from the prior regime is pretty stunning. While we knew that Zorn was lax and was way over his head, he, according to Sellers, actually got cussed out by players. That is simply unbelievable.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2011/012011/01062011/598717/index_html?page=2

Say what you want about Shanahan, he does at least bring a different tone and fosters a much different -- and better -- culture to the team. While that's not too surprising, the contrast from the prior regime is pretty stunning. While we knew that Zorn was lax and was way over his head, he, according to Sellers, actually got cussed out by players. That is simply unbelievable.

Wonder who the player(s) were.

My guesses, London Fletcher, Reed Doughty and Lorenzo Alexander.

"I've had more fines here my first year than I did with Denver and the [Los Angeles] Raiders," Shanahan said. "That's a sense of responsibility, people doing things the right way, and sometimes it takes time for people to understand that everyone has a piece of the puzzle. Unless you have everyone going in the same direction, it's hard to get to that level."
THAT tells you all you need to know. This roster had a sense of entitlement at the beginning.
"The past few years, you had players cussing out the head coach, players doing whatever they wanted to do," Sellers said. "Now that doesn't happen anymore. There's no more prima donnas on the team. We're all just individuals trying to get one goal, and that's to win. It's a nice feeling to have."
Over the course of 1 season, players went from being prima donnas to a single cog in the wheel.

---------- Post added January-6th-2011 at 10:44 AM ----------

More likely they were prima donnas. The guys you listed are definitions of team players.

If you saw Tryon's comments in RI he says that it was night and day between Colts and Redskins. He said it's all business there and it was more like a fashion show here. I doubt Zorn had the respect of the players. I think we can rest assured that isn't the case now with Shanahan. It's not just two wins better, it's a culture change better.

What surprises me is that there wasn't MORE turmoil, that more players didn't chafe at Shanny's technique. There has been a massive, fundamental change in this franchise, and we need to acknowledge the fact that it has occurred because TheDan allowed it to. No matter what else has happened in the past, the evidence is clear that TheDan has decided to run things differently (for now anyway) and allow the pros to do their job, and that an overwhelming amount of the dysfunction stemmed from the lack of that previously.

What surprises me is that there wasn't MORE turmoil, that more players didn't chafe at Shanny's technique. There has been a massive, fundamental change in this franchise, and we need to acknowledge the fact that it has occurred because TheDan allowed it to. No matter what else has happened in the past, the evidence is clear that TheDan has decided to run things differently (for now anyway) and allow the pros to do their job, and that an overwhelming amount of the dysfunction stemmed from the lack of that previously.
According to the article, Shanny fined a BUNCH of players. My guess is that quite a few chafed at him, then they got a foot in the ass.

If you saw Tryon's comments in RI he says that it was night and day between Colts and Redskins. He said it's all business there and it was more like a fashion show here. I doubt Zorn had the respect of the players. I think we can rest assured that isn't the case now with Shanahan. It's not just two wins better, it's a culture change better.

I agree with you.

I think if the Redskins were on Hard Knocks and we could see really the challenge Shanny was facing we would be more on his side.

You know with the McNabb thing. McNabb was probably in the film room with Kyle. Kyles trying to correct things Donovan is doing.

Donovan probably agrees with Kyle face to face but then the next game comes and McNabb does what he decides is best.

What would you do if you were the coach and that was happening. I dont care if you are a star like McNabb or a scumbag like Haynesworth. You have to do whats right for the team and the fans might dislike you for it.

---------- Post added January-6th-2011 at 10:50 AM ----------

I was joking about this by the way...

---------- Post added January-6th-2011 at 10:51 AM ----------

My guess is Vinny Cerrato and Dan Snyder cussing out Zorn.

"The past few years, you had players cussing out the head coach, players doing whatever they wanted to do," Sellers said. "Now that doesn't happen anymore. There's no more prima donnas on the team. We're all just individuals trying to get one goal, and that's to win. It's a nice feeling to have."

This quote from Sellers bothers me a bit... "We're all just individuals trying to get one goal" - No Mike, you're a team trying to get to one goal. Individuals is what you would have been last year. But I realize that's a bit nitpicky.

Don't really care, and have no interest in piling on Zorn.

Nobody forced Snyder and Vinny to hire Zorn...the failure of his tenure is all on them. That coaching search was the most disastrous I've ever seen in the NFL and Zorn was the unsurprising result.

We aren't THAT far removed from Gibbs. And while Gibbs' ship wasn't THAT tight, many still could recognise a good coach.

According to the article, Shanny fined a BUNCH of players. My guess is that quite a few chafed at him, then they got a foot in the ass.

Well, Shanny is probably requiring stuff that may never have been required at Redskins Park, so that wouldn't surprise me either.

Oh yeah, I'd love to know how many fines and where just out of curiosity, but then I accept that isn't vital info so keep it in house but I wouldn't have been surprised to see the players fined and then still get pissy about it considering what a frathouse atmosphere we've had. We may not be that far removed from Gibbs but getting worse is way easier than getting better. I am just heartened to read this and similar articles on the topic, culture change was THE priority here and had to happen before anything could.

Shanny got a lot more done this season than shown by a W/L record.

This team definitely needs the discipline. It started going downhill when Turner took over. Marty started to fix it but we all know how that turned out. I've never cared for Shanahan but at least he is willing to step up and and take bullets in order to fix this mess so it can be solid for when he passes it on to the next coach.

That coaching search was the most disastrous I've ever seen in the NFL and Zorn was the unsurprising result.

Good thing everybody was 100% against Fassel at the time, right? Zorn was so much better than a guy who at least got a team to the SB once and made it to the playoffs several times.

bad apples or guys who are not good teammates... hmmm my guesses are....Portis, Landry, Hall, AH, Rogers, Cooley ? I don't know seems like we have had some good characters that can pull it together....Fletch, Carter, Rabach, Daniels, ....I guess not....we are not a real team yet....hopefully we get there....

I remember Fat Al being sent home early from practice for disciplinary reasons and it was said he was arguing and yelling with coaches. It was probably him.

Huh - I remember him being sent home in 2009 but not the part about him yelling and arguing.

I'd have thought that he'd skip cussing out the coaches because it would involve too much extra effort...

This quote from Sellers bothers me a bit... "We're all just individuals trying to get one goal" - No Mike, you're a team trying to get to one goal. Individuals is what you would have been last year. But I realize that's a bit nitpicky.

A bit nitpicky, Kdawg? A bit? :ols:

A team is made up of individuals. They become a good team when they are all moving toward one goal. What Sellers said is actually the very definition of team. I can't believe you found any justification in pointing out something wrong with his words, lol. Wow.

Archived