Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fredericksburg.com: A new tone--if not new results (M.E.T.) Unbelievable (or maybe not) that I don't know Rule #10

Skadden

If you saw Tryon's comments in RI he says that it was night and day between Colts and Redskins. He said it's all business there and it was more like a fashion show here. I doubt Zorn had the respect of the players. I think we can rest assured that isn't the case now with Shanahan. It's not just two wins better, it's a culture change better.

what makes you so certain this isn't still going on? I wonder if it was like that during Gibbs II and Spurrier. I can even imagine it being like this during Norval's days here.

---------- Post added January-6th-2011 at 01:19 PM ----------

Really, what does getting "cussed out" mean? Does it mean using profanity during an angry conversation with the coach? If thats the case, then I find it almost impossible to believe that ANY coach hasn't been cursed out. Its too much on the line, and opinions clash. Somehow I think this is being overblown.

A bit nitpicky, Kdawg? A bit? :ols:

A team is made up of individuals. They become a good team when they are all moving toward one goal. What Sellers said is actually the very definition of team. I can't believe you found any justification in pointing out something wrong with his words, lol. Wow.

I can't believe you find fault in mine, so looks like we're on an even playing field ;)

According to the article, Shanny fined a BUNCH of players. My guess is that quite a few chafed at him, then they got a foot in the ass.

This right here is interesting not because we are just finding out about the fines. But because it may have been a reason why some players didn't get more playing time in the beginning of the season. Maybe the fines and playing time were a way for the coach to instill discipline into the team.

I say this because a lot of fans were yelling for some of the younger guys to get more playing time in the beginning of the season. However if the younger guys are not showing what the coaches want to see in practice and/or not following the rules why should the coach give them the playing time they desire? Just speculation ... just a thought.

Really, what does getting "cussed out" mean? Does it mean using profanity during an angry conversation with the coach? If thats the case, then I find it almost impossible to believe that ANY coach hasn't been cursed out. Its too much on the line, and opinions clash. Somehow I think this is being overblown.

Does it really matter? It's implied that it's behavior that happened here and didn't happen elsewhere for the most part. If it's disrespectful behavior that occurred under Zorn and doesn't generally occur (without punishment) elsewhere, it's an issue. How you technically define it is immaterial to me.

Good thing everybody was 100% against Fassel at the time, right? Zorn was so much better than a guy who at least got a team to the SB once and made it to the playoffs several times.

Amen. I wasn't against Fassel at that time, but I don't think I posted about it. I wasn't excited about the hire either, but it sure would've ended better than the Zorn debacle, I'm sure now.

What surprises me is that there wasn't MORE turmoil, that more players didn't chafe at Shanny's technique. There has been a massive, fundamental change in this franchise, and we need to acknowledge the fact that it has occurred because TheDan allowed it to. No matter what else has happened in the past, the evidence is clear that TheDan has decided to run things differently (for now anyway) and allow the pros to do their job, and that an overwhelming amount of the dysfunction stemmed from the lack of that previously.

It's because deep down players know what it takes to be a winner. I coached a group of kids to two city championships in a row. Then to the playoffs their third year. They moved up to another age group and within two weeks they were complaining to me about how things we run. The new coach didn't push them hard, there was a lack of discipline and practices were unorganized. Needless to say they had a bad year (only two wins). For kids that had never lost more than one game for 3 years that was tough! But even at ages 11 and 12 they knew before the season started that they weren't being coached to be a winner.

These Redskins players know the deal. Sure, they'll take short cuts if you let them. But when it comes down to it they will follow someone who they believe in. I think they believe in this coaching staff. And if they don't they'll be on a fast track outta here! Despite how Czabe jokes about it Shanny really did change the culture. And that's something to be excited about!

This actually makes me feel better about some of the hard nosed moved Shanny pulled this season. We all knew it was a wash this year anyway... its just that when we won a couple games we started to think we might make a mini-run. Well, we didn't.. but we did establish a few things.

Our coach is in charge, you are going to perform or you either won't play or you won't be here. As long as Shanny is here, win or lose, the players won't have the spoiled brat attitude. I definitely like that.. change the culture and results will eventually start to show.

---------- Post added January-6th-2011 at 07:27 PM ----------

It's because deep down players know what it takes to be a winner. I coached a group of kids to two city championships in a row. Then to the playoffs their third year. They moved up to another age group and within two weeks they were complaining to me about how things we run. The new coach didn't push them hard, there was a lack of discipline and practices were unorganized. Needless to say they had a bad year (only two wins). For kids that had never lost more than one game for 3 years that was tough! But even at ages 11 and 12 they knew before the season started that they weren't being coached to be a winner.

These Redskins players know the deal. Sure, they'll take short cuts if you let them. But when it comes down to it they will follow someone who they believe in. I think they believe in this coaching staff. And if they don't they'll be on a fast track outta here! Despite how Czabe jokes about it Shanny really did change the culture. And that's something to be excited about!

Exactly, and I compare it to Tom Coughlin.. he came in with an Iron Fist and started off almost so unreasonable.. players were going crazy. Then they started working harder so the coach, while still hard nosed and no nonsense.. did relax a little. He was so hard that the players were so shocked that they would and continue to do whatever it takes just to keep things a little relaxed and reasonable...which may have been Coughlins plan all along.. in the end you have some playoff runs and a SB victory over the Patriots, they didn't make the dance this year but they were still 10-6~!

Archived