Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

AsburySkinsFan

Good news indeed, I knew there was a 4th planned but hadn't seen a definite release date. Hope it lives up to the level of the others.

On a related note I saw a very good "The Making Of..." documentary on the PoTC movies, and the manner in which they produced the effects made it even more impressive. The CG work is absolutely seamless, arguably some of the best out there.

Eh, I wasn't too impressed with the third one (though I did enjoy one and two). Looks like Hollywood is squeezing as much as it can from this franchise, and who can blame them?

Valid, but it was the culmination of the story from the first two, and it was constrained by previous info (an issue with any sequels/additions), but look at the squidy face tentacles on DJ or the maelstrom, the cinematography is incredible.

Valid, but it was the culmination of the story from the first two, and it was constrained by previous info (an issue with any sequels/additions), but look at the squidy face tentacles on DJ or the maelstrom, the cinematography is incredible.

Without a doubt, the maelstrom battle scene is probably one of the most intense sailing ship battle scenes ever shot, and the fact that this series keeps its sense of humor all the way through is one of the major reasons I love it.

No Kiera Knightley or Orlando Bloom = brilliant.

fixed for you. you take the lamest parts of the first 3 movies out (knightley and bloom) and replace it with more of the best part of the first 3 movies (depp) and youve got the best POTC movie yet.

Awesome. I'll definitely see this.. I've always loved this franchise as well. Great films that always succeeded in taking me away for awhile.

Same, I can always count on being whisked away into Jack Sparrow's world on the high seas whenever I watch these movies. At first I didn't like the Davy Jones character because it seemed a bit far fetched...but then I remembered Pirates of the Caribbean Night of the Living Dead and then I was ok with him, and then after #3 I really began to like the character, not to mention the fact that Barbosa truly becomes a favorite character. At first I was a bit disappointed with there being no Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightley but then their story is closed at the end of three. BTW, if you watch through the end of the credits you'll see that Will returns to Elizabeth who is waiting on the shore with their now 10 year old son.

_eBcQM8urAY

I'm not certain how you bring them both back into the story, or that I want them back. Remember, the only reason she was a pirate was because of her love for Will.

fixed for you. you take the lamest parts of the first 3 movies out (knightley and bloom) and replace it with more of the best part of the first 3 movies (depp) and youve got the best POTC movie yet.

I was actually considering the same thing. Bloom brought the movies down. He worked in the first one but he wore me down over the next two.

Besides, Ian McShane is flippin brilliant!!

And Penelope over Kierra? I'll take it

• 4 months later...

Just seen the new Pirates film tonight, and I have to say as a fan of the franchise the first big one of the summer left me feeling unfulfilled.

It still has the action, but the humours pretty flat in this one. Even the always beautiful Penelope Cruz failed to fill the boots of the gorgeous Keira Knightley. Cruz just doesn't have the same chemistry with Depp. In fact as I type and think about that, the missing Bloom/Knightley, Will/Elizabeth storyline; and the other missing cast members from the first three like the two crew members who's names escape me (one of whom had the glass eye) detract from the movie as a whole.

You'll see it, because it's in the series. But it isn't the first three. Not great. Not bad. Just a disappointing meh.

Maybe they'd of been better served leaving it as a great film trilogy.

Hail.

I'm usually not one to nitpick about the emptiness of most summer blockbusters or complain about more sequels coming out, but I always thought the idea of making this 4th Pirates film was a little off. I just don't see the point (besides it being in obvious cash-in of course, although this film is supposed to possibly launch a new Jack Sparrow-focused Pirates trilogy).

Whether people liked Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightley in the first ones or not- their characters were still important to the stories of the 2nd and 3rd ones, and they both balanced out Depp's Jack Sparrow character a little bit. I don't know how high the potential of a Pirates movie (or franchise) could be if it was just a lot more Jack Sparrow doing his crazy pirate antics, with some new random actors tossed in the mix.

(and taking a quick look at Rotten Tomatoes, this is the worst rated one so far, at 34% Rotten)

I'm usually not one to nitpick about the emptiness of most summer blockbusters or complain about more sequels coming out, but I always thought the idea of making this 4th Pirates film was a little off. I just don't see the point (besides it being in obvious cash-in of course, although this film is supposed to possibly launch a new Jack Sparrow-focused Pirates trilogy).

At the end of the third movie, Jack is on a dingy with the spinning map and he sets his course toward the Fountain of Youth...hence the purpose for this movie.

(and taking a quick look at Rotten Tomatoes, this is the worst rated one so far, at 34% Rotten)

Dead Man's Chest 54% Audience 86%

At World's End 45%...Audience 74%

Looks like it's tracking just fine to me! :D

Dead Man's Chest 54% Audience 86%

At World's End 45%...Audience 74%

Looks like it's tracking just fine to me! :D

Scientifically, we can predict that most audience members will hate this movie, ASF.

If the pattern holds, raw audiences numbers should track about 63%. But to determine actual audience satisfaction, you have to establish the Battlefield Earth/Gigli baseline. We know that it was impossible to enjoy those movies and yet they earned 14%-15% audience support. Clearly, there is a flaw in the reported data, therefore positive audience statistics must be adjusted accordingly.

Adjusting for real world conditions, we can safely assume that 51 to 52 percent of the audience will leave the theater and look for the nearest fork to poke their eyeballs out.

I remember hearing about a year back that Depp refused to sign onto this movie and didn't really want to do it. The studios pushed his compensation above something like 30 or maybe even 40 mil and then he begrudngly (or not) signed on. If there's one thing Hollywood likes it's a formula film.

I remember hearing about a year back that Depp refused to sign onto this movie and didn't really want to do it. The studios pushed his compensation above something like 30 or maybe even 40 mil and then he begrudngly (or not) signed on. If there's one thing Hollywood likes it's a formula film.

The man gotta pay his bills before doing more weird **** with Tim Burton.

Archived