Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A little Shanahan tidbit from Panther radio from a former player of his

Drew_Fl

Technically the guy was saying he picks a person like in the prison yard and cuts em...

So if there are several people, you just looked him in the eye on the wrong play...

He didn't say he cut everyone jogging off the field or holding the ball stupid or sliding ..

Technically the guy was saying he picks a person like in the prison yard and cuts em...

So if there are several people, you just looked him in the eye on the wrong play...

He didn't say he cut everyone jogging off the field or holding the ball stupid or sliding ..

Uh-huh, and who are these people? Some guy in 1995, Haynesworth, and McNabb?

Exactly, the guy never played in the league again after that and I would venture to guess that it wasn't just a "one time I jogged instead of ran" deal. He was probably doing a lot of "jogging" during the season/practice/etc.

I've disagreed with several of Shanahan's moves this season, but the way he handled AH isn't one of them. That POS needed to have the pacifier taken out of his mouth and get sent to boot camp. He's a class A idiot and is on his way out of the league if he doesn't learn the lesson this HC has offered. He wasn't happy in a 4-3, he wasn't happy in a 3-4, and he hasn't been happy playing in the 4-3 nickel package on 3rd downs. So **** that poor excuse for a football player.

Lots of people have talent, doesn't make them good, and AH has made that more apparent than anyone these past 2 seasons.

He grew up as a small, slow veer option QB. The veer is run best by highly disciplined, intelligent guys who have total buy in and are willing to sell out not the best athletes (that's why Navy and Air Force, who use a modernized version, can actually compete). It also is very hard to stop unless the defense buys in and sells out to the way you defend it.

well at the point that i visited him yesterday, that game had just ended and he was nearly at the point of tears. Saying that they should fire Tom C., and that he's too old-school like Shanny. When i mentioned that thier coach lead them to a SB and kept them competative since then, he didn't want to hear it. I guess it goes to show how irrational and spoiled sports-fans can get at times. While still drunk with emotion, he mentioned that Shanny should be fired for the way he handled Fat Al. When i mentioned that Fat Al wasn't being productive, he was insubordinate, was openly defiant to the wishes of the coaching staff (scheme), he continued to insist that no matter what you let your best players play....SMH

:ols: Yeah, I totally agree, that's why they Giants won that SB with their All Pro TE Shockey. Why, if not for him, they would NEVER have won that game. :ols:

Whaaaaaaa. You couldn't get your ass off the sideline fast enough and got benched. I suspect he had that ambivalent attitude toward more football issues as well, not just in his little stroll to the sideline...which would lead to his butt getting cut. Good. When I coached high school softball, I expected my girls to sprint on and sprint off the field

There have been some heavily flagged teams that have done very well, even during their recent playoff/SB run, the Raiders were VERY heavily penalized. I believe the Eagles have been penalized heavily this year as well, though maybe it's declined recently, I don't know. I don't buy that you have to never see laundry on the field to win championships or games, especially if you make big plays that overcome those penalties (not every 5 yarder is a game-breaker/changer.)

Also, as for Perry, the guy was an excellent player for years, a standout on a pretty talented Cleveland defense (with the likes of Hanford Dixon, Frank Minnifield and Clay Matthews, though towards the tail end of their run.) And no one is saying you shouldn't get chewed out for causing a penalty but there is growing evidence that this is what Shanahan does. Perry, Jake Plummer and now we have our own examples.

After all, how many quotes from ex-players have you seen talking about Joe Gibbs selecting a player to go into the doghouse and to be ridden until he quit the team or was cut? Whereas you hear all kinds of stories about Shanahan, Jimmy Johnson, etc.

Like Katt Williams said, if people say you're a crackhead for 20 years, it's not rumors anymore, ___ you smoke crack!

He grew up as a small, slow veer option QB. The veer is run best by highly disciplined, intelligent guys who have total buy in and are willing to sell out not the best athletes (that's why Navy and Air Force, who use a modernized version, can actually compete). It also is very hard to stop unless the defense buys in and sells out to the way you defend it.

I'm assuming you're talking about Shanahan, but I'm not sure why you brought this up, though it is interesting to know where his POV comes from. My point was that Al has the talent to be the greatest defensive player in the game, but he refuses to get off his *** and actually use the talent (unless you're in the NBA, but even then, if you refused to play or talk to your coach, you're probably not going to the All Star game that year). Talent doesn't equal success, talent + hard work = success. That was my point.

what about him?

We run a single TE offense. It's rare we play a double TE set. Why bench Cooley for Davis?

Fred Davis has been on the field several times this season with Cooley. Nobody's talking about benching Cooley we're talking about work ethic. Davis isn't exactly famous for his and he still plays.

Fred Davis has been on the field several times this season with Cooley. Nobody's talking about benching Cooley we're talking about work ethic. Davis isn't exactly famous for his and he still plays.

What have you heard about Davis' work ethic, besides the one incident where he slept in during his first rookie TC practice?

I'm assuming you're talking about Shanahan, but I'm not sure why you brought this up, though it is interesting to know where his POV comes from. My point was that Al has the talent to be the greatest defensive player in the game, but he refuses to get off his *** and actually use the talent (unless you're in the NBA, but even then, if you refused to play or talk to your coach, you're probably not going to the All Star game that year). Talent doesn't equal success, talent + hard work = success. That was my point.

Which was the point of my post.

There have been some heavily flagged teams that have done very well, even during their recent playoff/SB run, the Raiders were VERY heavily penalized. I believe the Eagles have been penalized heavily this year as well, though maybe it's declined recently, I don't know. I don't buy that you have to never see laundry on the field to win championships or games, especially if you make big plays that overcome those penalties (not every 5 yarder is a game-breaker/changer.)

Also, as for Perry, the guy was an excellent player for years, a standout on a pretty talented Cleveland defense (with the likes of Hanford Dixon, Frank Minnifield and Clay Matthews, though towards the tail end of their run.) And no one is saying you shouldn't get chewed out for causing a penalty but there is growing evidence that this is what Shanahan does. Perry, Jake Plummer and now we have our own examples.

After all, how many quotes from ex-players have you seen talking about Joe Gibbs selecting a player to go into the doghouse and to be ridden until he quit the team or was cut? Whereas you hear all kinds of stories about Shanahan, Jimmy Johnson, etc.

Like Katt Williams said, if people say you're a crackhead for 20 years, it's not rumors anymore, ___ you smoke crack!

How dare you question our Super Bowl winning coach. ;)

Hmmm, I was not aware of that. Do you have a link?

I do know of the one time he overslept in 2008.

I can't believe that people get their **** bent out of shape because Shanahan is a diciplinarian!

I've got news for ya. We've tried it the Downey soft way (Norv, Spurrier, Gibbs 2.0, Zorn) since Gibbs 1.0 and the result has been the same. This team needs a backbone and a new direction.

I'm ready for someone to kick ass and take names. Put up or shut up! Shape up or ship out! NO more cream puffs looking for a big payday. If you don't wanna be a part of this then get the **** out of the way.

You don't have to like Shanahan and you don't have to like his methods but you have to understand that there is a mentality at Redskins Park that needs to be changed, on the field and off. It's a tall order but like every great journey, it starts with a single step. Dicipline.

Let Shanahan do his job.

:helmet:

Hmmm, I was not aware of that. Do you have a link?

I do know of the one time he overslept in 2008.

You can search TK posts, it was back around the Devin Thomas days. The comments were related to his route running, exclusive of a couple of decent wheel routes.

I'm not sure why everyone is picking on M.D. Perry, it does say he was reluctant to explain what happened and only did so after being pressured into it. And even then, the doghouse thing was pretty thin, I think it was obvious that he knew he was wrong. I didn't think it was that offensive.

Also, I called him M.D. Perry because that was his shortened name in Tecmo Super Bowl. Cleveland Browns NT. An absolute animal if you were willing to use the Nose Tackle dive sack play. 78 sacks in one season with M.D. Perry. Don't question him.

I don't buy your theory at all. In fact, I think it's absurd. Negating the effect penalties have on a game because a team can "make up for it with a big play" is honestly quite laughable. I think most coaches don't buy your theory either, which is why you see the pissed off/exasperated look on the sideline when some jackass named Barron gets multiple holding calls that end up costing you a game :)

At the elite level, you have to build advantages wherever you possibly can. Not being disciplined and having stupid calls made on your team constantly is a hinderance, not a help, to your ultimate goal. I think a lot of that has to do with discipline and attitudes of players.

It's amazing to me that people have been complaining for so long about the "culture" of Redskins park, the fact that our players get paid too much and don't produce, then we finally get a guy in here who starts cracking down on this type of bullcrap and people are saying he's too harsh :doh:

Okay, then how about Fred Davis?

How about him? The guy was late to one ****ING practice as a rookie, because his alarm didn't go off. One.

He's NEVER shown a propensity for being lazy or not giving it his all before. In fact, seeing as he replaced a ProBowl TE and put up equal or better production for about 6 weeks, I'd say his work ethic and study habits must be pretty damn good.

The labeling on ES is ridiculous. A guy will do one thing and be remembered for that for a decade.

How about him? The guy was late to one ****ING practice as a rookie, because his alarm didn't go off. One.

He's NEVER shown a propensity for being lazy or not giving it his all before. In fact, seeing as he replaced a ProBowl TE and put up equal or better production for about 6 weeks, I'd say his work ethic and study habits must be pretty damn good.

The labeling on ES is ridiculous. A guy will do one thing and be remembered for that for a decade.

Whoa there mister and read thru ALL my posts in this thread to get the context of point.

after years and years of star players getting special treatment here - keeping in mind that it was for what they did somewhere else, not what they did while a redskin - i welcome our new disciplin-oriented, 'prick', arrogant overlord.

it shocks me more people do not.

after years and years of star players getting special treatment here - keeping in mind that it was for what they did somewhere else, not what they did while a redskin - i welcome our new disciplin-oriented, 'prick', arrogant overlord.

it shocks me more people do not.

I do welcome discipline...but not a big fan of the grudge holding, arrogant, overlord type.

Archived