Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A little Shanahan tidbit from Panther radio from a former player of his

Drew_Fl

Of course the co-host kissed his ass and said that was terrible, so many worse things have happened, etc, ass kiss, etc....(much like Dukes and Lavar dynamic). No one wanted to point out the fact that Shanahan gave guys a chance who worked their tails off (AA) over a guy who's roster spot was given to him (Devin Thomas).

Course, you also don't want to point out that he did hand a roster spot to a player who didn't earn it on the field (Galloway) and played him over both of those other players, despite lack of production.

Personally, I think it is fine to point out that our head coach has his flaws, and it seems over time one of his flaws is that he will put the occasional player in the doghouse for seemingly nonsensical reasons. I think some of that behavior will mean that there are some players, who otherwise could be just fine on another NFL team, who aren't going to work here because they are going to have a personality conflict with the head coach.

I only hope it doesn't become more of a problem than it is worth. You can get away with doing some of this when you are winning, but when you are losing, it becomes more of a focus from those in and outside of the organization.

I do welcome discipline...but not a big fan of the grudge holding, arrogant, overlord type.

hah, the overlord part was kind of a joke.

i'm not a 'fan' of it, but you know what - after years of thinking we had something we don't, years or being fooled by big names and stars with big contracts, i'm going to sit tight and reserve judgement on anyone until i see long, sustained winning over a period of 3-4 seasons coupled with smart offseason moves.

Even better. Hustle counts.

More, we've had a country club attitude with the Redskins for too long where players practiced only when they felt like it. Goofed or slept through meetings and rosters were etched in stone. No one's positioned was challenged due to attitude, performance, or discipline. We need to have players who give a damn. One way to do that is to make the earth under their feet unsteady.

If he can out a hundred million dollar player... if he can bench a guy he traded draft picks for and then signed this season with a 14 million dollar bonus... then whose job is safe? Who can afford to slack and be a prima donna?

For the moment, I love it. This team needs a **** at the reins because anything less will get walked all over. We saw it with Zorn. Zorn treated them like adults and was nice to them... how was he repaid by Portis or Haynesworth or the team? What kind of effort did they give?

Close thread. Hammer meet nail on the head. Amen.

---------- Post added December-21st-2010 at 12:31 PM ----------

Well as one of my "Giant fan" friends told me yesterday, "Shanahan is overrated and he won b/c of Elway" :rolleyes:. You would think some people are capable of basic logic, perhaps i need to stop being so presumptuous.

You always have to reply with this: "If Elway was so great, how come he didn't win SBs 21, 22 and 24 by himself?"

Well as one of my "Giant fan" friends told me yesterday, "Shanahan is overrated and he won b/c of Elway" :rolleyes:. You would think some people are capable of basic logic, perhaps i need to stop being so presumptuous.

I hate, hate, hate this way of thinking! You can label almost every Super Bowl winning coach "overrated" if people want to talk like that.

Course, you also don't want to point out that he did hand a roster spot to a player who didn't earn it on the field (Galloway) and played him over both of those other players, despite lack of production.

Personally, I think it is fine to point out that our head coach has his flaws, and it seems over time one of his flaws is that he will put the occasional player in the doghouse for seemingly nonsensical reasons. I think some of that behavior will mean that there are some players, who otherwise could be just fine on another NFL team, who aren't going to work here because they are going to have a personality conflict with the head coach.

I only hope it doesn't become more of a problem than it is worth. You can get away with doing some of this when you are winning, but when you are losing, it becomes more of a focus from those in and outside of the organization.

the way i see it with Galloway is that he is a proven guy they were trying to squeeze a little magic out of. Even though Austin had played decently in the pre-season, it wasn't Earth shattering and back then the coaches were still thinking playoffs. I don't fault them for going with Galloway, I do fault them for sticking with him for so long though. I've never understood why Roydell has a spot though...

Poor Mike Perry. I really feel bad for him, having to move his ass faster and all. What a bum deal. :rolleyes:

I find it very comforting that somebody like Coach Shanahan is in charge of our team. We have needed this kind of authoritarian mentality here in D.C. for years. Coach Shanahan won't make many friends among the players (those who don't like being pushed anyway) but I have no doubt that he will bring respectability and wins back to the Redskins.

Yeah, I wonder how Banks, Armstrong, Lichtensteiger, Montgomery, Roydell, Rex, Torain, Keiland, James Davis, Lorenzo, Anthony Bryant and Riley all feel about that meanie Shanahan who is helping them establish NFL careers. I'm sure they're thinking "he's so mean to those poor little victim veterans in front of us who aren't working as hard as us". :ols:

---------- Post added December-21st-2010 at 03:08 PM ----------

I remember that Jags game. Perry did not jog off the field, he loafed off very slowly and caused the penalty that cost the Broncos the game. Shanny had every right to do what he did.

This will get overlooked by the contrarians.

Archived