Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A little Shanahan tidbit from Panther radio from a former player of his

Drew_Fl

Michael Dean Perry (The fridge's younger brother) was a veteran D-lineman brought in by Shanahan to the 95 Broncos team. He now has a radio show. Perry and his co-host were talking to a former Broncos beat reporter when the reporter asked, "Didn't Shanahan bench you back in 97?" (when the reporter still covered the team).

Perry was reluctant to tell why, just claimed that Coach Mike picks one player each year to send to the doghouse, and he never handles it well (alluding to 92 and mc5).

After some badgering, he finally gave the reason why he was benched (and subsequently cut):

He said in a game against the Jags, on a Jax punt, he jogged off the field too slow and got a 12 man penalty giving the Jags a first down. Didn't go in to too much more detail, just said Shanahan HATES being questioned on his methods and if you do, you're gonna be on your way out.

Of course the co-host kissed his ass and said that was terrible, so many worse things have happened, etc, ass kiss, etc....(much like Dukes and Lavar dynamic). No one wanted to point out the fact that Shanahan gave guys a chance who worked their tails off (AA) over a guy who's roster spot was given to him (Devin Thomas).

Heaven forbid a person who makes hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars have to hustle to the sideline to keep his job...Not much new here, just thought i'd share.

Poor Mike Perry. I really feel bad for him, having to move his ass faster and all. What a bum deal. :rolleyes:

I find it very comforting that somebody like Coach Shanahan is in charge of our team. We have needed this kind of authoritarian mentality here in D.C. for years. Coach Shanahan won't make many friends among the players (those who don't like being pushed anyway) but I have no doubt that he will bring respectability and wins back to the Redskins.

Poor Mike Perry. I really feel bad for him, having to move his ass faster and all. What a bum deal. :rolleyes:

I find it very comforting that somebody like Coach Shanahan is in charge of our team. We have needed this kind of authoritarian mentality here in D.C. for years. Coach Shanahan won't make many friends among the players (those who don't like being pushed anyway) but I have no doubt that he will bring respectability and wins back to the Redskins.

if we start winning the guys wont care about being pushed or being hard on. its when guys are getting benched/pushed and were losing that guys start crying about it.

win and the methods become irrelevant.

He's a disingenuous prick...point blank. I hated how smug he sounded yesterday after losing a game. But hey! tadah! I was right to bench McNugget! all is well in the world yayyyy.

I'm willing (not as if I have a choice) to give the man 3 years to put his stamp on the team in the fashion he does it and see what he can do. Have to stay the course and let the man do his thing whether i agree with the way he does it or not.

.Michael Dean Perry wasn't an "average player".

The man was a 6-time Pro Bowler and a 2-time First-Team All-Pro.

Even better. Hustle counts.

More, we've had a country club attitude with the Redskins for too long where players practiced only when they felt like it. Goofed or slept through meetings and rosters were etched in stone. No one's positioned was challenged due to attitude, performance, or discipline. We need to have players who give a damn. One way to do that is to make the earth under their feet unsteady.

If he can out a hundred million dollar player... if he can bench a guy he traded draft picks for and then signed this season with a 14 million dollar bonus... then whose job is safe? Who can afford to slack and be a prima donna?

For the moment, I love it. This team needs a **** at the reins because anything less will get walked all over. We saw it with Zorn. Zorn treated them like adults and was nice to them... how was he repaid by Portis or Haynesworth or the team? What kind of effort did they give?

Maybe Coach Shanahan pushing him had a lot to do with his success?

No, Most of Perry's best days were past when he came to Denver. The year he got cut was his last year.

---------- Post added December-20th-2010 at 05:36 PM ----------

if we start winning the guys wont care about being pushed or being hard on. its when guys are getting benched/pushed and were losing that guys start crying about it.

win and the methods become irrelevant.

Bingo! The big difference is just whether you win or lose. You can be the biggest dick if you win. If you lose, you'll be drawn and quartered. You can be the greatest guy in the world but if you lose, you run a country club. If you win,you know how to treat your guys. Mike Shanahan runs a system that requires players to totally buy into it and be willing to sell out to it. Going half-ass tends to show you don't really buy in and/or are unwilling to sell out to what he's doing.

I'm not buying it, there had to be more to it.

For example, Shanny has showed a lot of patience with our youth, like Riley's penalty and return call-back, Gano's missed FGs, etc. Those guys are still playing.

Big difference.

Shanahan will give you a pass if you make mistake while "playing at full speed." He has mentioned this phrase in several news conferences.

Mike Shanahan despises lazy players and players who don't give their all on the field or in practice.

It's been reported by Sonny, TO, and Freddie Mitchell that #5 has horrible practice habits.

This thread is hysterical.

He benches one player for thinking that he doesn't have to hustle in 1995. Fifteen years and two Super Bowls later, we're questioning his methods.

Brilliant, I tell you.

I heard that guys in LA didn't like him as their coach in the 80's too.

Guess he sucks as a coach.

Big difference.

Shanahan will give you a pass if you make mistake while "playing at full speed." He has mentioned this phrase in several news conferences.

Mike Shanahan despises lazy players and players who don't give their all on the field or in practice.

It's been reported by Sonny, TO, and Freddie Mitchell that #5 has horrible practice habits.

Okay, then how about Fred Davis?

This thread is hysterical.

He benches one player for thinking that he doesn't have to hustle in 1995. Fifteen years and two Super Bowls later, we're questioning his methods.

Brilliant, I tell you.

Well as one of my "Giant fan" friends told me yesterday, "Shanahan is overrated and he won b/c of Elway" :rolleyes:. You would think some people are capable of basic logic, perhaps i need to stop being so presumptuous.

Whaaaaaaa. You couldn't get your ass off the sideline fast enough and got benched. I suspect he had that ambivalent attitude toward more football issues as well, not just in his little stroll to the sideline...which would lead to his butt getting cut. Good. When I coached high school softball, I expected my girls to sprint on and sprint off the field at every changeover...and they were in high school, and not getting paid millions. Sure, they may not have been as tired from running multiple defensive series, but it's really not hard to get off in time to avoid a freaking penalty. That type of inane crap would raise my blood pressure too. Good for Shanahan.

Thing is, you have to instill discipline in these athletes before you start winning consistently. No discipline leads to stupid mistakes, stupid penalties, etc., etc., etc. With how undisciplined so many of our guys have been for so long, it's going to take a bit to turn things around.

I can't believe that was the ONLY reason he got cut. That may have been the straw that broke the camels back....You know its almost like Fat Al conducting an intereview about 10 years from now and he says "Oh yeah, Coach Shanahan suspended me because i didn't pass his stupid conditioning test in training camp."....Where in reality, there were MANY more transgressions that contributed to his suspension.

I'm not buying it, there had to be more to it.

For example, Shanny has showed a lot of patience with our youth, like Riley's penalty and return call-back, Gano's missed FGs, etc. Those guys are still playing.

Exactly, the guy never played in the league again after that and I would venture to guess that it wasn't just a "one time I jogged instead of ran" deal. He was probably doing a lot of "jogging" during the season/practice/etc.

I've disagreed with several of Shanahan's moves this season, but the way he handled AH isn't one of them. That POS needed to have the pacifier taken out of his mouth and get sent to boot camp. He's a class A idiot and is on his way out of the league if he doesn't learn the lesson this HC has offered. He wasn't happy in a 4-3, he wasn't happy in a 3-4, and he hasn't been happy playing in the 4-3 nickel package on 3rd downs. So **** that poor excuse for a football player.

Lots of people have talent, doesn't make them good, and AH has made that more apparent than anyone these past 2 seasons.

Well as one of my "Giant fan" friends told me yesterday, "Shanahan is overrated and he won b/c of Elway" :rolleyes:. You would think some people are capable of basic logic, perhaps i need to stop being so presumptuous.

Cool.

Tell him that they only lost because the game doesn't end at the 52:32 mark. :)

Cool.

Tell him that they only lost because the game doesn't end at the 52:32 mark. :)

well at the point that i visited him yesterday, that game had just ended and he was nearly at the point of tears. Saying that they should fire Tom C., and that he's too old-school like Shanny. When i mentioned that thier coach lead them to a SB and kept them competative since then, he didn't want to hear it. I guess it goes to show how irrational and spoiled sports-fans can get at times. While still drunk with emotion, he mentioned that Shanny should be fired for the way he handled Fat Al. When i mentioned that Fat Al wasn't being productive, he was insubordinate, was openly defiant to the wishes of the coaching staff (scheme), he continued to insist that no matter what you let your best players play....SMH

Archived