Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some things you need to understand

TK

IF Shanny can't get the QB he's been watching a lot of film on in the Draft, then that ups the chance of McNabb returning. Though Shanny does have his eye on someone in the Draft, it just depends on if we cam be able to move up to get him.

Wow...figured it would be Luck he fell in love with. Interesting.

I don't know....I doubt it was a typo. TK is usually pretty deliberate with his clues.

You think Newton will go top 5? I'm thinking someone will take him in the 1st but it will be around 10-15 range when he literally is the very best player available. Best athlete anyway, I don't think his NFL career will turn out to be much.

You think Newton will go top 5? I'm thinking someone will take him in the 1st but it will be around 10-15 range when he literally is the very best player available. Best athlete anyway, I don't think his NFL career will turn out to be much.

Why do you think that?

Will he be able to quickly read NFL defenses and make all the necessary throws needed to run this offense? We know he big and athletic. I don't care if he is a faster JC.

Im just curious as to what makes people think he wont. I know the general consensus is big, athletic and dumb but I just want to know why.

Will he be able to quickly read NFL defenses and make all the necessary throws needed to run this offense? We know he big and athletic. I don't care if he is a faster JC.

JC is a bad comparison, despite the Auburn connection. JC was a solid starter for one year with a GREAT team around him. That team relied on the running game, and JC just played well enough to not screw the game up. Completely a game manager. He was the same in the NFL, only he never had a good team around him.

I think the better comparison in Vince Young. The major knock on Newton I think is the fact that he really only throws the ball like 15 times a game, and has 1 year experience. He relies way too much on his feet and doesn't throw much. His accuracy is questionable and he has not shown he can read a defense, as mentioned above. While he will still be able to run the ball to an extent in the NFL, but a good defense can plan for that and force him to make throws. Huge question marks all around. No way I would spent a top 10 pick on him.

If we lose out, which is very likely, Cam will be there for the taking and I hope we draft him. I've hoped all along that we'd keep McNabb at least one more year and let Cam sit and learn the playbook, but after this whole benching it looks like Grossman will be the stop gap next season possibly. Wouldn't mind Bulger coming in for a year.

When I first heard about the McNabb benching and gave it a good thought, I thought this. Shanahan found the QB he wants in the draft, figures we'll be in position to get him and now is keeping McNabb healthy to either package during the draft to move-up or trade for picks before the draft happens. I think for this theory to even happen Shanahan/Allen already know teams are willing to trade for him.

Cam Newton has bust written all over his face. If we draft him, this franchise will officially be doomed for another decade.

That being said, where is McD5 at? Where is all of his posting about how Shanny gave up on this team and the players are now giving up on him? Hey, McD, let's here about all the giving up and locker room dissension you've been preaching for weeks. Come on, man up!!!

Someone on the "Newton is a bust" bandwagon... please explain to me why you think that. I'm talking specifics... Or are you just saying it based on nothing?

I don't think he necessarily WILL be a bust. I think that because of his lack of experience (not many throws), gimmick offense, unknown ability to read a defense, possible character issues, and questionable accuracy, there are just too many question marks to take him in the top half of the 1st round. With that high of a pick, you can't afford to miss on a draft pick, especially with as many holes as we have. If we traded down and were sitting at around 25-30, then I think you have to consider it if he's still available. I don't think he will be though.

In hindsight .. 'want to rephrase that post?

McNabb had a similar game to this against Houston. Dallas defense was terrible and it's secondary in particular corners were banged up. 4TDs is great, 3 turnovers, 2 of which lead to scores and the other which ended the game, not so much.

Joe Flacco played zero seasons at the Divison IA level. He played in a gimmick offense.

Newton won a national title at the JUCO level (where alot of 1A players are that are waiting for eligibility).

The character issues thing is a decent point, but the guy is a fiery leader who gets people involved and exciting for the games. I don't think his character issues are going to transfer to the real world. I think he's just a kid making stupid decisions right now, but that's a guess on my end.

The risk part of you post is a genuine, real concern. I think he'll be worth the risk. I've been wrong on the draft before, but we'll see. I like the trade back scenario, but we need a QB. But, let's see what happens with the draft and who comes out and all of that stuff.

Joe Flacco played zero seasons at the Divison IA level. He played in a gimmick offense.

Newton won a national title at the JUCO level (where alot of 1A players are that are waiting for eligibility).

The character issues thing is a decent point, but the guy is a fiery leader who gets people involved and exciting for the games. I don't think his character issues are going to transfer to the real world. I think he's just a kid making stupid decisions right now, but that's a guess on my end.

The risk part of you post is a genuine, real concern. I think he'll be worth the risk. I've been wrong on the draft before, but we'll see. I like the trade back scenario, but we need a QB. But, let's see what happens with the draft and who comes out and all of that stuff.

KDawg you and I both know I'm not the biggest on Newton and I've stated my concerns about him numerous times. The one thing I want to ask you is this. Pacman Jones made mistakes in college and got into trouble and it turned out it continued into the NFL and got him into major trouble. I'm not saying Newton is going to end up with a year suspension and into trouble but sometimes players will still get into trouble. Also the comparison of calling the Delaware offense gimmicky is kind of funny because they run a spread offense just like most schools do expect they make their QB's make reads and such. Newton on the other hand pretty much has 2 guys runs routes and if they aren't open he just runs. That's my main concern. Can he make those reads? I don't know and I'm very concerned about that

Archived