Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some things you need to understand

TK

I hate hearing the "what else did you expect?" excuse being used for this team.

Well, I'm sorry you hate that, but it's not really an excuse, it's a realistic statement. Our team has been so crappy, and so mismanaged for so long, things (including piss poor tackling :) ) aren't going to automatically turn around in 13 games.

poor handling of personnel

Are you referring to the Haynesworth cluster? If so, how would you have handled the situation? And, who would you have traded him to prior to the deadline (I hear this a lot from people complaining about the management of Haynesworth, yet when asked, never are they able to give a legitimate trade option...which is why I ask)?

Not only that, but we have not gone a week since this offseason without having to deal with drama.

Yes, and due to Shanahan's "mismanagement," we won't be having to deal with these issues much longer :)

Yes, and due to Shanahan's "mismanagement," we won't be having to deal with these issues much longer :)

I hope you're right. I thought this team would be looking better now than in the first half of the season.

Right now the team looks closer to falling apart then they are to coming together.

This is sort of the opposite of what a first year coach's season is supposed to look like.

I hope you're right. I thought this team would be looking better now than in the first half of the season.

Right now the team looks closer to falling apart then they are to coming together.

This is sort of the opposite of what a first year coach's season is supposed to look like.

You know, to be honest, I think this whole Haynesworth fiasco has taken a larger mental toll on this team and has impacted performance more than we suspect (not that I'm blaming him for all our woes in the least, but a major distraction like that can seriously mess up team chemistry and focus more than most would think, IMO). It also doesn't help that we've had a ridiculous amount of injuries as the season has progressed. And well, the whole McNabb situation has digressed throughout the season...so that experiment didn't pan out. Would it be nice to look like we are gelling and stronger now than 13 weeks ago, sure. Was I thinking that that would be the case back at the beginning of this season? Yes. However, once we were knocked out of playoff contention and it has become evident that we aren't going to be able to buy a little stopgap QB time with McNabb, I actually prefer our season to tank...

Well, I'm sorry you hate that, but it's not really an excuse, it's a realistic statement. Our team has been so crappy, and so mismanaged for so long, things (including piss poor tackling :) ) aren't going to automatically turn around in 13 games.

I'll agree it is realistic, but only to an extent. I'm well aware our roster isn't chock full of talent, however even with lesser talent I believe continuity can still be had given the proper motivation. I'm not saying they should be dominating other teams, but I am saying we are STILL a team that thrives on mental errors in every aspect and enjoys finding new and exciting ways to blow games.

Are you referring to the Haynesworth cluster? If so, how would you have handled the situation? And, who would you have traded him to prior to the deadline (I hear this a lot from people complaining about the management of Haynesworth, yet when asked, never are they able to give a legitimate trade option...which is why I ask)?

I don't want to sound like the armchair coach or gm, but the Haynesworth debacle IMO carried on for WAY too long. Could just be I listened to the media take the story and run it into the ground as usual. Obviously Al is not a team oriented guy, and of course we know who to blame for bringing him in. I know there were offers out there, and honestly whatever trade scenario that could be mustered up, sounds much more promising than having him anywhere near our team.

I truly hope that's the case K. I'm so tired of reading about my team in the funny pages instead of the sports section.

Shanny is never going to give it you straight when it comes to injuries. Check his history on it Denver. I believe he actually got his hand smacked for it with the Injury Report there. You know who else is like that? Belichick.

Shanny isn't going to tell you who the starter is at QB, kicker or any other position. In fact just the other day he specifically told the media the following:

On if Donovan McNabb will be starting on Sunday:

“I don’t go through the starting lineups. I’ve told you guys that before. We talk about it every week. Sooner or later, you’ll come to the game and find out who’s starting.”

Don't expect Shanny to squash the Rex/McNabb rumors. In fact, I'd expect him, given his words & actions, to actually fan the flames on these rumors just so Dallas has no idea which QB to prepare for.

Shanny will play mind games with opponents. Right now, he's got a serious Jedi Mind **** going on between Jason Garrett's ears. Hopefully he neither confirms nor denies anything the rest of the week. :)

Hey TK. Sorry but have to differ with you on this one. The first time I came around I told you that McNabb earned a spot in shanny's deep deep doghouse and was never coming out. There is a plan. They are drafting a new QB. I believe I also mentioned that McNabb was as good as gone.

Sorry you guys have to go through all this drama. It sucks. But just know that Shanny will make mistakes but he won't hesitate to try and fix it.

The good news is that you guys will have a lot to look forward to on draft day. This is a good thing.

Hey TK. Sorry but have to differ with you on this one. The first time I came around I told you that McNabb earned a spot in shanny's deep deep doghouse and was never coming out. There is a plan. They are drafting a new QB. I believe I also mentioned that McNabb was as good as gone.

Sorry you guys have to go through all this drama. It sucks. But just know that Shanny will make mistakes but he won't hesitate to try and fix it.

The good news is that you guys will have a lot to look forward to on draft day. This is a good thing.

How do you figure?

Please elaborate.

Just because I feel like I have to, I'm big time on the Cam Newton bandwagon if we can't acquire Luck (and I'd say getting Luck is almost a 0% chance).. Newton is the only QB other than Luck I would even consider that early. He's a cross between Culpepper, Vick and Rivers.

Big and strong like Pep.

Athletic (but not quite as athletic) as Vick.

Leadership reminds me of Rivers.

Now, keep in mind, I'm not saying that he's any of these guys, but he has qualities of each. He needs some mechanics work, but he's already better than Campbell when he came out of college as far as that stuff goes.

I have only seen him play a couple of times but he looked very raw as a passer to me. He was a two read passer, look deep, then check down or run.He looked like he would need a lot of work to run an NFL passing offense.

Im on the Blaine Gabbert bandwagon personally though he will probably not come out until next year. Much better passer than Newton and a guy who has mobility but is a passer first and who reads coverages well.

Are you suggesting you expect to see McNabb packaged with a pick to move up for a guy like Luck?

How do you figure?

Please elaborate.

Well, you guys didn't have much to work with last year. FA was limited and having to turn over a whole roster with limited resources is quite a bit to endure. You've already injected some youth into your roster and expect to see some skill positions upgraded as you're lacking. Shanny is pretty good at finding gems in the middle to late rounds.

I could be wrong. You may not be drafting a qb. You may be trading for one. Shanny has been stealthy on draft day. We never even worked out Cutler before we drafted him. It was a total shocker. If you look at Denver's drafts in Shanny's last three years, you'll see that he was mid rebuild and struck gold with more solid starters than the few years before that. Let's hope your scouting dept. is beefed up. It's a good time for you to be off loading old vets.

---------- Post added December-20th-2010 at 01:46 AM ----------

Are you suggesting you expect to see McNabb packaged with a pick to move up for a guy like Luck?

Well, it's possible. But like I said, you never know with Shanny. The only thing I had a gut feeling about was that the first time McNabb was benched, I knew it was over. I said Shanny was looking at making a move for another QB already.

---------- Post added December-20th-2010 at 01:50 AM ----------

I just saw the presser. I'm sure he's putting out feelers.

---------- Post added December-20th-2010 at 01:56 AM ----------

I just saw the presser. I'm sure he's putting out feelers.

IF Shanny can't get the QB he's been watching a lot of film on in the Draft, then that ups the chance of McNabb returning. Though Shanny does have his eye on someone in the Draft, it just depends on if we cam be able to move up to get him.

IF Shanny can't get the QB he's been watching a lot of film on in the Draft, then that ups the chance of McNabb returning. Though Shanny does have his eye on someone in the Draft, it just depends on if we cam be able to move up to get him.

It's weird, I watched Shanny's Friday press conference, and I don't think I've seen him be so open about what he is thinking about doing. Usually he keeps that stuff close to the vest.

It's happening fellas.

Don't see why we'd need to get rid of McNabb to bring him in though. Wouldn't it make sense to have McNabb mentor him for a year or two?

Rex has been in the system longer, but his deal is about up. Depends on what he shows these last 3 games on who gets brought back. Everyone's job is up for grabs.

I saw that too. I don't know what to think.

If we give up stuff to move up to pick Newton...I think I'm going to be sick.

Can you imagine what those bootlegs will look like with Cam Newton running them? They will have to have an extra defender EVERY time just in case.

Cam Newton

Cam Newton

Cam Newton

Archived