Extremeskins

The Jazz Appreciation thread

CoolUsernameHere

Do you play to win the game?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play to win the game?

• Yes. I want to sweep Dallas.
    • No. I want to tank the season.

Lately I've been on a gigantic jazz kick. It's all I want to listen to. I can't get enough of Oscar Peterson, Miles Davis and Louis Armstrong. I recently purchased an album by John Coltrane called Blue Train that I really love. My favorite jazz album though is Oscar Peterson's Pastel Moods.

Right now I'm listening to Keith Jarrett and Charlie Haden's duet album, Jasmine. It's perfect- the most relaxing music you'll find. It's pretty similar to Peterson's material in Pastel Moods.

Any other ESers love jazz? Who are your favorite artists?

Any albums you'd like to recommend?

I'm a big jazz guy as well most of it started when I got into doing Jazz Band in middle and high school.

My favorite artists are definitely Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong and Buddy Rich(I'm a drummer so he's my idol)

As far as albums I really try to listen to bits and pieces of different albums and then go back and listen to the full album it self but as far as songs Channel One Suite by Buddy Rich is great

Overall I love jazz its able to keep me chill and in a relaxed mood on a bad day

Jazz is one of the genres I don't know nearly enough about, but I enjoy abundantly. It's one of the greatest contributions the U.S. has made to the world, and yet it's neglected by the country that birthed it. It's very sad.

---------- Post added December-14th-2010 at 11:18 PM ----------

Also OP if your looking more Fusion type Jazz then look a lot at Chick Corea his stuff with his various bands is genius

YES! Chick Corea is incredible. Spain is one of my all time favorite songs.

Jazz is one of the genres I don't know nearly enough about, but I enjoy abundantly. It's one of the greatest contributions the U.S. has made to the world, and yet it's neglected by the country that birthed it. It's very sad.

---------- Post added December-14th-2010 at 11:18 PM ----------

YES! Chick Corea is incredible. Spain is one of my all time favorite songs.

We played Spain my senior year and I must say playing the Congas on it was one of the most awesome things ever, drumset is fun but adding that conga feel to it was even better

Too many great ones to name.

If you like early Satchmo, then you'll want to check out his only contemporary peer, Bix Beiderbecke. At his best, he was a tone monster. At his worst, well, still pretty good.

I can't ever get enough Charlie Parker, but Cannonball and Train can also scratch that itch.

For West Coast, pianists Horace Silver and Vince Guaraldi.

On guitar, Lenny Breau. And Danny Gatton (but only his jazz stuff. I defy any guitarist alive to try to duplicate his playing on "9/9/94"). Stanley Jordan deserves his own planet, but he's really more of a pianist than a guitarist. Hugely imaginative, though.

For drummers, Steve Gadd always sounds great, and Billy Cobham is the opposite of boring. :)

I'm a fan of Dexter Gordon, Ben Webster, Johnny Hodges and Sonny Rollins. My kind of sax playing! You might also want to check out Louis Jordan (yeah I know - jump blues, but really he was a jazz guy too) and the Skatalites (they were inventors of ska and reggae, and most of them are/were jazzers to begin with).

As far as West Coast Pianists are concerned, it really doesn't get any better than this man:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKt1APrKGliw-r_UedddbCqDisdLFtuwL9sSWuTn2CmEDYuFDU

Time Out changed my freaking life, man. He's over 90, and I think he's still performing.

Edit: his 90th was just a few weeks ago. Happy belated birthday, Dave!

One of the greatest albums in jazz Time Out was a classic. My favorite song by Brubeck will always be Blue Rondo A La Turk

It really was; though my personal favorite chart was his version of "Besame Mucho" that combination of Brubeck's piano and Desmond's sax is just perfect. It could anyone at ease.

Another great choice Bluefood. Gotta say one of my favorites classic bass players now is Mingus. The more I listened to him last year I really liked him more than I thought I would. Some of his stuff is really out there but he's great at what he does, same with Coltrane one of the greatest and had some wacky stuff but it was amazing

I'll have to look into him. Once again, I love jazz, but I don't know nearly as much as I ought to about it.

Brubeck and Duke Ellington are the only ones I REALLY know a lot about. Brubeck because I admire his music so much and Ellington because he's one of the greatest AND he's from the greatest city in the world. :D

I'll have to look into him. Once again, I love jazz, but I don't know nearly as much as I ought to about it.

Brubeck and Duke Ellington are the only ones I REALLY know a lot about. Brubeck because I admire his music so much and Ellington because he's one of the greatest AND he's from the greatest city in the world. :D

No question the greatest city we spent a lot of time in my Jazz Class my senior year talking about Ellington and the beginning Jazz guys and how they influenced a lot of what is Jazz today.

Archived