Extremeskins

The Jazz Appreciation thread

CoolUsernameHere

Do you play to win the game?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play to win the game?

• Yes. I want to sweep Dallas.
    • No. I want to tank the season.

Even though 95% of what I listen to is hip hop, I do love jazz! I have a nice small jazz collection, probably like 30 or so albums. Here are several of my favorites...

Herbie Han****- Maiden Voyage. The vibe on this album is so smooth.

Cannonball Adderley- Somethin' Else

Dexter Gordon- Our Man in Paris

Jimmy Smith- The Sermon! Amazing organ.

Miles Davis- Sketches of Spain

Charles Mingus- Ah Um

Dave Brubeck- Time Out

All certified classics.

Even though 95% of what I listen to is hip hop, I do love jazz! I have a nice small jazz collection, probably like 30 or so albums. Here are several of my favorites...

Herbie Han****- Maiden Voyage. The vibe on this album is so smooth.

Cannonball Adderley- Somethin' Else

Dexter Gordon- Our Man in Paris

Jimmy Smith- The Sermon! Amazing organ.

Miles Davis- Sketches of Spain

Charles Mingus- Ah Um

Dave Brubeck- Time Out

All certified classics.

You and I are very alike. 90 to 95% of my IPod is Hip Hop and Rock but I have a good amount of Jazz on it. Probably not as much as I should but certainly better than some people who have none at all. Look at it this way Jazz was what music is today before it came to be. What Jazz did then was lay the ground work for the music we listen to today(minus the lipsyncing, auto tune and terrible trash music)

Look at it this way Jazz was what music is today before it came to be. What Jazz did then was lay the ground work for the music we listen to today(minus the lipsyncing, auto tune and terrible trash music)

Completely agreed. There are elements of jazz in pretty much every genre. I know that with hip hop, countless jazz songs have been sampled to create hip hop beats. Some view it as plagiarizing, I consider it more like an homage to those artists and a recreation to make something completely new. And the spontaneous free-from improvisation can be found in freestyles, and solos in rock. The harmonies, notes...all things I love. And I agree that electronic music is pretty much trash. I hate synth beats and all that mainstream rap/pop stuff. It baffles me how "artists" like Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane, Kid Cudi, etc. get so much attention. Not to say they are completely useless, just that I think they are majorly overrated.

One act that a lot of people forget about (as far as being a jazz fusion group) is Chicago. Yes, Chicago. That top 20 love ballad machine from the 1980s. In the early 1970s though, they had one of the most powerful and well rounded sounds of any group. They incorperated a lot of jazz in their music and even Buddy Rich said he listened to their stuff despite his distaste for pop music.

I've always thought Terry Kath was the backbone of that early Chicago sound. The man gave the band the kind of edge and soul that they lacked after his untimely death in 1978 (I believe). Chicago, for a time, was an amazing jazz-fusion group.

Completely agreed. There are elements of jazz in pretty much every genre. I know that with hip hop, countless jazz songs have been sampled to create hip hop beats. Some view it as plagiarizing, I consider more like an homage and recreation to those artists. And even the spontaneous free-from improvisation can be found in freestyles, and solos in rock. The harmonies, notes...all things I love. And I agree that electronic music is pretty much trash. I hate synth beats and all that mainstream rap/pop stuff. It baffles me how "artists" like Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane, Kid Cudi, etc. get so much attention. Not to say they are completely useless, just that I think they are majorly overrated.

Great points there I think I'm one of the few who actually like Cudi and it's a shame he's overrated because some of the stuff he's come out with has been very good and the lyrics as well were good. I think that Soundtrack 2 My Life is a great song but maybe its also the fact I've listened to it about 100 times since I bought it

Gucci is just Gucci :ols: not much I can say although he has some funny things and Wayne will always be a staple and becomes overrated because the whole world buys a Wayne album when it comes out and then proceeds to always talk about it.

I agree though Jazz is in everything whether we notice it or not. Look at Chicago rock band but had a horn section and many jazz styles are in their music. EWF is the same way great group but a lot of Jazz styles

Another one from Paul Hardcastle

dcyZ6tAW1Ko

---------- Post added December-15th-2010 at 11:48 PM ----------

I agree though Jazz is in everything whether we notice it or not. Look at Chicago rock band but had a horn section and many jazz styles are in their music. EWF is the same way great group but a lot of Jazz styles

As sticks mentioned earlier in another thread, A Tribe Called Quest included alot of jazzy tunes in their music, which IMO is what set them apart from a lot of other artists back in the day,evidenced in one of their best songs, We Got The Jazz.

Bohren & der Club of Gore is awesome. Their album Black Earth is brilliant.

I've been looking for a thread like this. Lately I've been starting to creep into jazz and/or jazz infused music. Is there a sub-genre of really chilled jazz with minimal horns? Perhaps like Portishead and Ulver's album Perdition City, but with a more natural sound (less electronic influences)?

I don't know if anyone knows who Bill Evans is (pianist on Kind of Blue) but I heard this concert from his trio (piano, bass and drums) earlier this week and I really enjoyed it. If you have an hour to spare and want to listen to some chill jazz, give it a try.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/bill-evans-trio/concerts/great-american-music-hall-march-12-1975-2nd-set.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived