Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What happened to Kareem Moore?

Drastik

3 months ago, this guy was supposed to be the next big thing in the Redskins secondary.

Now we stand today and he is arguably the worst player on the entire defense.

What happened, and why was everyone so fooled that he was a good player?

How does anyone else feel about him?

Has started 9 games, 50 tackles, 1 int. Not terrible numbers. I think that he will get better and has the size to deliver big hits. He just has not developed yet into the tackler needed to be a play maker. Gets caught out of position too often. I think because he was a later round aquisition people may have hoped that he would be the next superstar. Will see what happens with teh D in the future and what his role will be.

has started 9 games, 50 tackles, 1 int. Not terrible numbers. I think that he will get better and has the size to deliver big hits.

his numbers might not look bad, but his play is TERRIBLE. so many big plays go right through him. he is one of the worst tacklers to ever put on a redskins uniform, and he is always caught out of position whether it's a pass or a run.

Kareem Moore isn't a bad player. He's not Ed Reed, Brian Dawkins, or Sean Taylor either. Last year, I thought he was actually worse than Reed Doughty and Chris Horton. Maybe he impressed Mike Shanahan during OTAs or something because I would have never thought he was starting material. To me, Moore is an example of a new coaching regime's miscalculation of what good talent is. I'm not saying he's bad, but Free Safety can be upgraded for sure.

I think he can still be a good player for us, but he has definitely struggled since half our team got injured. he's not a pro-bowler, but he could still be solid IMO. We have so many needs, we're gonna need some of the these young guys to keep working to get better and fill a role for us. Already looking forward to next year.

what happened is that... we found out that he CANT tackle anyone in the open field and is just average in coverage. Not a great trait when you are the free safety. Probably that is even worse than a free safety that can't cover but is sure tackler (Doughty).

He had early success and played very well in the 4-3 defensive scheme but has struggled like everyone else in adjusting to the Jim Haslett 3-4 defensive scheme. He has very good coverage skills but when you are not playing to your strengths because the coach isn't putting you in the best position then you will struggle. EVERYONE on the defense is playing like high school players so Moore hasn't digress as much as he is trying to learn the scheme of the defense. The whole defense has poor tackling skills and not just Moore.

He's a ball-hawking safety. Great in shorts or limited contact, but not showing well in real games.

Maybe he'll grow into it, maybe he's a backup/teams guy. We'll see. But the optimism was warranted... our supporting cast isn't good enough to put him into position to play the ball.

what happened is that... we found out that he CANT tackle anyone in the open field and is just average in coverage. Not a great trait when you are the free safety. Probably that is even worse than a free safety that can't cover but is sure tackler (Doughty).

Well, Blache thought that Landry (at free safety) was better than all of the other safeties on the roster (Moore, Doughty and Horton). Doughty, in particular, is decent at strong safety. So, it wasn't such a bad idea to give up a bit at the strong safety position (using Doughty for Landry) and get a very big improvement at free safety. We all know how that worked out. Now we have Landry back at his best position and a void at free safety. On paper, Macho Harris ought to be able to play free safety. I hope he can do well there because I'd like for at least one issue on the team to be solved. BTW - I'm happy with Doughty as backup strong safety and free safety in a pinch.

He had early success and played very well in the 4-3 defensive scheme but has struggled like everyone else in adjusting to the Jim Haslett 3-4 defensive scheme. He has very good coverage skills but when you are not playing to your strengths because the coach isn't putting you in the best position then you will struggle. EVERYONE on the defense is playing like high school players so Moore hasn't digress as much as he is trying to learn the scheme of the defense. The whole defense has poor tackling skills and not just Moore.
You are confused. Moore rarely saw the field prior to this year. He never had success, much less early success. You are probably thinking of Chris Horton.

I think Shanahan shed some light on this when talking about some of the younger running backs he's been getting on the field. He said you can only see so much in practice with drills and no tackling. At some point you have to put guys in a game and see if they produce and how they play in a live game. While he was talking about young guys he felt deserved a chance, the same applies to guys like Moore as well. He is by all accounts very athletic and has good ball skills - he had takeaways in each of his first two games back if I remember correctly. But in practice you may only see a guy closing and getting position - not so much how he actually performs when it comes to taking someone down and tackling form, and clearly that is something that is getting exposed in game situations.

This is also the same reason some teams get hosed in the draft by going after athletic guys like Vernon Gholston and ignoring their actual game tape (although Vernon did look good at Ohio State). Some people are just good football players but sometimes seem overshadowed in practice by phenomenal athletes. Some people are both. It can be difficult to tell which is the whole excitement of the draft, etc.

I think most of Moore's problems can be "coached up" and do not seem to be for a lack of ability, rather a lack of technique. But his play for most of this season has been painfully poor.

He's a ball-hawking safety. Great in shorts or limited contact, but not showing well in real games.

Maybe he'll grow into it, maybe he's a backup/teams guy. We'll see. But the optimism was warranted... our supporting cast isn't good enough to put him into position to play the ball.

I have yet to see any "Ball-hawking" ability from him, i don't really remember him doing anything on coverage either.

Kareem Moore had some flashes in 2009, notably a big game (and an amazing INT) against the Saints. THERE WERE LEGIT REASONS TO BE EXCITED FOR MOORE STARTING.

This year, IMO, he has been the single most disappointing player on our roster. I knew both lines would struggle, and I knew we were thin at the offensive skill positions. Kareem Moore, after a promising stint at FS to end 2009, and a solid training camp, I expected to be at worst a league average FS.

He has not, and he has had multiple critical missed tackles that directly lead to huge gains and/or TDs. As the last line of defense, you can not be the worst tackler on the defense.

Reed Doughty deserves to be starting at FS at this point. Kareem Moore is simply not a sound football player.

Archived