Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lebron "bumps" Spoelstra...

Chachie

I'm really looking forward to Thursday's game. I'm not sure how ugly it'll be but I think I'll be happy with just about anything, unless he gets hit in the head with a d-cell or there's a brawl of sorts.

I fully expect someone to rush the floor, though. Security is gonna have an awesome open court takedown.

I'm really looking forward to Thursday's game. I'm not sure how ugly it'll be but I think I'll be happy with just about anything, unless he gets hit in the head with a d-cell or there's a brawl of sorts.

I fully expect someone to rush the floor, though. Security is gonna have an awesome open court takedown.

Maybe LBJ will KO a fan. :)

That is a great article GACOLB posted. It's why Lebron isn't a winner. Say what you will about MJ and Kobe but they thrived under Phil Jackson, who pushes his players(including the stars)more than anyone. Lebron just wants money and fame, he doesn't truly care about winning or being a great basketball player as long as he's "The King."

Someone needs to step up and tell Lebron to go **** himself. I'm glad Spoelstra is at least growing a pair, even though it may cost him his job.

Maybe LBJ will KO a fan. :)

Hahaha, that'd be hilarious.

I think Thursday will be a must watch game no matter the outcome. I'm just want to hear the boos bellow from Quicken Arena. This dude deserves everything he has coming to him. He has to learn.

He won't learn. He's oblivious. He wants to be liked SOOOOOOOOO much and tries so hard. He's like the Alex Rodriguez of basketball A-Rod wants nothing more than to be liked. And yet no one likes him.

That is a great article GACOLB posted. It's why Lebron isn't a winner. Say what you will about MJ and Kobe but they thrived under Phil Jackson, who pushes his players(including the stars)more than anyone. Lebron just wants money and fame, he doesn't truly care about winning or being a great basketball player as long as he's "The King."

Someone needs to step up and tell Lebron to go **** himself. I'm glad Spoelstra is at least growing a pair, even though it may cost him his job.

I'm glad Spoelestra is growing a pair, too. Though what would LeBron expect if Spoelestra was fired and Pat Riley came down?

You know, if Flip doesn't work out here in DC, Spoelstra would be at the top of my list for replacements. I kinda hope they do fire him.

Any way, let me start this by saying that I'm not a big Jordan fan. I think he screwed over the Wiz hard. His need to win hurt us. Him coming back hurt us. Instead of having high picks and drafting people like 'Melo, Bosh or D Wade we were barely missing the playoffs and drafting Jarvis Hayes at #10. Just because MJ wanted to win. So I'm not on his nuts just to be on his nuts. But I respect him as a man and I respect his career and I respect his worth ethic. He was the epitome of a champion.

So with that said, here's a great article from last year about Jordan and the need to win and be the best. And while I'm not a fan and I don't think he comes close to MJ, this is also what Kobe has.

It is what Lebron is missing (among other things) and why he will never be MJ, never be Kobe, and (God willing) will never win a championship.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=isaacson_melissa&id=4463664

Play hard, practice harder

Jordan left it on the floor in practices as well as games

By Melissa Isaacson

Archive - September 10, 2009

There was a perception of Michael Jordan that he could never survive retirement because there wouldn't be 20,000 fans cheering him at the golf course or gas pump.

But if you believed that, then you never saw him at practice, where all that mattered was the kill.

If you believed that, then you never saw him shooting in an empty Chicago Stadium, where all that mattered was the shot.

Ego is to the great athlete what petroleum is to gasoline. You can't have one without the other. Ego fueled Michael Jordan as much as anything. It made him want to beat his big brother Larry in the backyard and it made him want to embarrass Magic Johnson in the NBA Finals.

Jordan was also an entertainer who understood when the bus pulled into Sacramento or San Antonio, cities where fans would get to see him only once a year, that the flu, no matter how miserable, should not and would not keep him from performing.

And so he trudged out, fever raging more than once, and did not just play the game but nearly always rose above it.

But it was in his quietest moments that he would tell us that when it was gone, when it was really gone, that he would miss it all. The performance, yes. But also the smell of the gym, the b.s. with the guys, the competition that he knew he could find nowhere else.

He would miss the game. And after those precious years when he was at his prime, he would miss playing it on a plane that few would ever know.

"There's something about his induction that bothers me," Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said a few weeks ago about Jordan's entry into the Basketball Hall of Fame. "It bothers me that he should be part of a class. He should go in by himself, not so much as an honor for Michael but for the Hall of Fame."

He could be a pain in the butt.

They all knew that.

"We'd run a three-man shooting drill in practice," longtime assistant Johnny Bach recalled. "And Michael always made sure he had the threesome he wanted. Not Trent Tucker, not Johnny Paxson, not Craig Hodges [among the best 3-point shooters in the league].

"He'd say, 'I'm calling my pigeons up to shoot.' They were shooting for some remuneration. He'd force himself to shoot under pressure. He needed a challenge to beat [scottie] Pippen. He knew Horace [Grant] had a nice shot. He'd also throw some wicked passes to [his shooters]. You're supposed to honor the code to throw a good pass to the shooter, but he had a way of throwing screwballs and sinkers. Not that he would have tolerated that. That was imperial Michael at his best."

"Run it back, run it back," is what Michael yelled when his team lost. It is what he said whenever he had lost.

"Everyone heard of our famous card games," said former Bulls guard B.J. Armstrong. "Why did they last forever? Because Michael never loses. Whatever he's doing, he's going to win because he's going to keep on playing."

Walt Hriniak hated him. Well, maybe not him but the idea of him, waltzing into baseball, into the White Sox training camp and wasting his time in his batting cage. The Sox's batting instructor called Reinsdorf when he heard Jordan was coming to Sox camp.

"Walt started [swearing at] me," said Reinsdorf. "He was convinced it was some kind of publicity thing. He said, 'I'm not working with this guy.' He didn't want to have anything to do with him. But he told Michael to meet him that first day at 7:30 in the morning and Michael came every day until his hands were bleeding. Walter loves Michael. He loved that his hands were bleeding."

And when the challenge was not there, he simply made one up.

When Doug Collins was broadcasting the pre-Olympic games of Jordan's Dream Team in 1992, the U.S. was getting ready to play in Portland, Ore., against yet another team it would surely beat by 80 points. Beginning that morning at dawn, Jordan dragged along U.S. assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo through his customary 54 holes or so.

"Looking for a way to get himself fired up," said Collins, "he said to P.J., 'I'll bet you when I'm in the game tonight, my man doesn't touch the ball.'

"I'm broadcasting the game and watching Michael and he's like a rabid dog chasing a kid. The U.S. is up like 40 points and I'm watching Michael and he is not going to let his man touch the ball. He was walking next to the guy toward the huddle at the timeout and he just pointed at P.J."

The first conversation Phil Jackson ever had with Jordan stemmed from a talk he had with Collins a few years earlier, and it promised to be unpleasant.

"I mentioned to Doug that my coach in New York, Red Holtzman, always said that it's not what a star does for himself in basketball that's important but how much his teammates improve because of his presence," Jackson recalled. "Doug latched on to that and said, 'You have to tell Michael that.' I said, 'Come on.' And he said, 'No, he has to hear that from you.'

"I was impressed with his ability to just accept it and say, 'Thank you.' He accepted coaching. He may have had a certain sense of resisting an offense that was somewhat restrictive. But there was also a certain sense from him that he was going to have to find his way, make others better, which he did."

And he remained the best. Finding John Paxson in L.A. Finding Steve Kerr at the United Center. Jordan was even the best at making sick kids feel just a little better. The Make-A-Wish Foundation Chief Wish Ambassador. That title really does exist and Jordan was king, with more than 175 wishes granted.

Once, in March of 2005, Jordan met Ryan Aubert, a 16-year-old boy from Los Angeles with autism who experienced frequent seizures. Jordan was not shy with kids or their parents. He pulled up a chair next to Wayne Aubert and asked about his son's seizures, which were grand mal, the worst a person can have.

"He wanted to learn about it, he seemed like he was really concerned," Wayne recalled. "He came in wearing a suit and tie, without an entourage, and looked us right in the eye. He held Ryan's hand and told us about his kids and commended us as far as the type of parents we were, hanging in there and dealing with it. He especially commended me for being a father hanging in there because a lot of fathers in these circumstances will leave. He spent a lot of time talking to our younger son."

Ryan had a 4-year-old's mental capacity. "But he understood basketball," his father said. "He loved basketball. All he wanted to do was watch the Bulls when Michael was playing. He was just so happy when he talked to Michael."

There was a time, around the midpoint of Jordan's career and the end of Larry Bird's, when Pippen was having his way with the Celtics great after being pounded by Bird earlier in his career.

Watching the tape, Jordan took Bach aside.

"You see what Scottie is doing to Bird," he whispered. "If someone starts doing that to me, would you tell me?"

Bach never did. And some say Jordan left too late. But too late for whom?

Does it matter now when he left or why?

Michael Jordan is 46 years old. That sentence feels weird even to type. His brother Larry says he still competes hard. His buddy Charles Oakley says he can still hit the fadeaway jumper.

They say that's good enough for him.

Even if it's not good enough for us.

Are you kidding me? ESPN crowned his ass and has put him up on a ****ing pedestal since he was a junior in high school. Maybe now, they're coverage has started to reflects the attitudes of the public but they're still pushing this King James bull****. Look how they and other media outlets covered the Heat's 10 point win last night against an injury depleted Wizards squad. Heat ROUT Wizards. Heat back on track after handling Wizards. On and on. They don't want negative stories about him.

I've hated Lebron for a half a decade now. I promise you it has nothing to do with ESPN. It has to do with the bull**** calls he gets, his crying, his smugness and his arrogance both on and off the court. I don't watch ESPN. I watched Wiz vs Cavs in the playoffs and in the regular season. We were ahead of the rest of the world because we DIDN'T get out view of Lebron filtered to us through ESPN.

Now why have you hated him for five years? Surely as a precocious high school senior there was no way his on the court play affected you negatively. You just hate his persona and that has so little to do with actual basketball. You talk about BS calls, but MJ, Tom Brady, and company always get those. Phil Jackson is always crying. Reggie Miller was always flopping.

I think the media gave MJ a HUGE pass. His gigantic ego was always lauded instead of derided. No one ever talked about the gambling and the womanizing. MJ was untouchable—still is.

Elessar brings up the points that can not be refuted.

Everyone knows MJ was an ego maniac and kind of a jerk. He AND Bird were widely known as trash talkers and full of themselves.

The media is partially to blame, but the fans should understand that and not feed into it.

Your exact words were that he was a spoiled baby who never had to work for anything in his life, and that he had no idea how to face or overcome adversity because everything in life came so easy to him.

I called you on your bull****. The kid was born to a 16 year old mother, and had a convict for a father who left them. And in Akron, Ohio of all places, not exactly the greatest town in the world. That's not facing adversity? The fact that he made it out of that starting hand he was dealt, took advantage of his God given talent is overcoming some sort of adversity. You think there was no work put in there? That everything "came that easy to him" as you so eloquently put it.

Wikipedia is an easy source to use, but his early circumstances as I posted them are pretty well known. So yeah, your original post was full of ****. I don't like LeBron either and I hope he never wins squat, but you were flat out wrong. And the fact that Mick was agreeing with you should tell you you're on the wrong side of the argument, Mick is never right about anything, and has never had to be in his entire life. See how I can play the same hyperbole game as you?

The London Fletcher example means nothing. Because someone overcame more difficult circumstances means what exactly? That LeBron doesn't get any credit for making it out of his situation because someone else went through a worse one?

Wow. You seem upset about my characterization of LeBron James. I will do my best to not be condescending or judgemental in my response. All LeBron had to do was stay alive long enough for someone to notice he is a great basketball player. This impresses you?

I didn't grow up in LeBron's neighborhood in Akron so I can only directly comment on his behavior and attitude since he has come into the public eye. Since that time I have been witness (excuse the pun) to his lack of toughness, how he flops, how he refers to himself in the third person, what a crybaby he is, his crab dribbling, how his mama fights his battles for him, how he disrespects opponents, fans and coaches, can’t shake hands with the victor of a hard fought series, how he shies away from pressure in big games, The frickin' Decision, his front running love of the Yankees and Cowboys, his self proclaimed kinghood and he has a crown but ain't won nuthin'.

Hyperbole aside, I'm sticking by my earlier comments. I guess you could say I don't like the guy.

Read this when you get a chance. It's pretty funny.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/matt-taibbi/blogs/TaibbiData_May2010/179533/83512

Not upset, just pointing out that you're off base. Remember, I don't like LeBron James either, for many of the reasons you've listed. But what you said is he never had to work for anything in his life, never had to face adversity, had everything given to him, etc.

Being born in Akron, Ohio, to a 16 year old mother and an absentee convict father isn't exactly being dealt Ace-Ace for a starting hand in life. He didn't pop out of the womb able to jump, dunk, or play ball the way he does. He had to overcome less than desireable starting circumstances and he had to put in some effort to develop as a basketball player when he was younger. What you said was completely false. I wouldn't take it personally, it happens far too often on this board in general, yours just happened to set me off.

Again, why do you care if they do?

Because you feel better about rooting for an athlete that conducts himself with class and dignity at all times?

It is easier to like any person who conducts himself with dignity. Just because someone is a talented athlete doesn't change that.

This is one of those things that we're just discussing but know we're never going to agree. When I watch a basketball/football game I rarely give a crap about who's doing what. To me, and I'm not trying to convince anyone to come to my side, but it helps keep games more enjoyable when I get my enjoyment from an athlete's performance.

It's just the sports culture we live in these days. The things outside of the game matter as much, if not more than what's in it. Santonio Holmes is a crappy human being. Philip Rivers is douche bag. Lebron is an egomaniac. Honestly, if the sports media just reported box scores and just ran highlights none of this extraneous stuff would be in our consciousness. As an extension, it's part of consumer culture too. Every major athlete is a brand and is marketed as such.

Tom Brady, TO, Chad Johnson (I refuse), Lebron, MJ, Ray Lewis, etc.—you don't get an authentic person from any of 'em. It's their public persona we see. They buy into it, they're coached by publicists, agents, marketers, and PR people on how and what to say.

I hate to defend him, but many people still hate Mike Vick. Like torturing and killing dogs is worse than cheating on your wife which a majority of these players do. It's just perception. If we really dig deep enough, all these athletes are flawed and it can be spun into that they are monsters. But it's the same flaws we all have. I'd rather just enjoy the sports and leave the soap opera stuff to pro wrestling.

I think Spolestra will be out before the end of the season and Riley will make one more "hurrah" behind the bench.

It bothers me that every night watching the scores on ESPN, they always show the box scores of LeFraud, Bosh and Wade. They make it a point to highlight this team. ESPN's love affair with the Heat is more sickening than anything.

I think the media gave MJ a HUGE pass. His gigantic ego was always lauded instead of derided. No one ever talked about the gambling and the womanizing. MJ was untouchable—still is.

LBJ doesn't get passes?

Elessar brings up the points that can not be refuted.

What? That there are other douchebags in sports? Totally irrefutable. Also says nothing to make the case that LBJ's not a jerk.

What? That there are other douchebags in sports? Totally irrefutable. Also says nothing to make the case that LBJ's not a jerk.

I never said he was a douchebag. I am agreeing that this is blown way out for no real reason. On a personal level the guy is not the guy he is on the court and in the media . A jerk on the court a decent guy otherwise. He is a lot more humble than people believe.

Archived