Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll:( Hypothetical Question) Would you still support this team, if for whatever reason the name was changed?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Please, people, let's not regurgitate old, inaccurate stuff here -- like the comparison of the word "redskin" to racial epithets. A linguist at the Smithsonian discovered a few year ago that the first documented usage of the word "redskin" was by an American Indian chief during a meeting he had with the then-President in the early 19th century, describing himself and his tribe as "redskins" and the President and his advisors as "whiteskins." It was simply a statement of fact, epidermically speaking.

And this business about the U.S. Cavalry giving smallpox-infected blankets to American Indians during the Indian Wars of the 19th century? Firstly, this claim has nothing to do with the Washington Redskins -- who, last I checked, didn't even exist during the Indian Wars. Secondly, where's the evidence of this? Where's the telegram or letter from this Army official to that Army official ordering said operation to be done? It doesn't exist, and it doesn't exist for one simple reason. Most of the "evil blankets" allegations against the Army are said to have occurred sometime during the mid-1800s; but Man did not have a clear read on the causes and preventions of infectious diseases (like smallpox) until Louis Pasteur's breakthroughs in this area became common knowledge. And that didn't happen until the late 1800s and early 1900s. Even many doctors were ignorant of this reality for far too long -- so much so that Abraham Lincoln's physicians didn't even wash their dirty hands when examining his gunshot wound, a fact that many biographers now attribute to having worsened his already poor condition in April 1865.

In closing, there's nothing wrong with the team's nickname and no need to change it. Besides, trying to buy off the crackpots who whine about it by changing it to the "Washington Whatevers" is kinda like paying a cannibal to eat you last: you come to realize that such negotiation is pointless -- only after it's too late.

I think they should rename the team the Washington Pigskins. We can keep the same colors, continue calling them the Skins, and have very little else. It fits with the glory years of the team and the "Hogs", pigskin is synonymous with football, and whether the Tea Party likes it or not, there will continue to be "pork" in Washington.

That would be considered offensive to pigs.

I don't know...probably not. I'm a Redskins fan. It would almost be like the team moved or something.

It's not gonna happen and I don't want it to. Still, I understand why Native Americans might take offense and I'd never belittle them for feeling that way. That's certainly their right.

Yeah, I'd still support the team...my support is for the "Washington" part of the name, not whatever comes afterwards. Besides, I think there are some nifty possibilities with "Warriors" for the Stadium intro video, which only some people on this board are going to understand.

The video starts with this guy doing his "Warriors come out to play" thing...which would be a great opening.

topten_luther.jpg

Then it breaks into a bunch of highlights of our guys running over and beating the snot out of other teams players, like Torain running over Quintin Mikell in the first Philly game this year. Appropriate thumping music thoughout.

Then it ends with another scene from the same movie.

"You Warriors are good...Real Good"

'The Best"

And scene....that would be awesome.

still45.jpg

I haven't lived in Maryland/Virginia since 1994 although I grew up there. Like the Washington Bullets I grew up a Washington Redskins fan. When the Bullets died and that abomination called the Wizards was formed I became a fan without a basketball team. If the Redskins die and become something else I will become a man with no Football team much the same way. I grew up a Washington Redskins fan and will die a Washington Redskins fan. I am no longer associated with the local lifestyle in Washington DC and I won't support a team I didn't grow up with. I have no childhood memories of the Wizards and don't consider myself a fan of that team, I am still a Bullets fan. If the Redskins became the Washington Wuzzies or some other stupid name I will never become a fan of that team because I have no association with that team. My love is for the Redskins. Change the name and that dies. If the Capitals become something else I will not root for that team either,

The ratinale for changing the "Bullets" name is that DC had a big problem with gun violence in those days. There is something to be said about this I think, but I am no NBA fan so I will stay out of it.

That as Abe Pollins rationale because he had a world leader in the middle east that was a friend of his, assassinated. But his true rationale was that the Bullets were one of the worst teams selling merchandise and he had this big new stadium in Chinatown and he wanted to sell more jerseys.

If they change the name they would have to change it to something that references their history.

I wouldn't be against something like "Pigskins". "Hogskins", "Hogs", "Warthogs"

Warriors? It has no connection to me and would more than likely end my allegiance.

Already hanging on by a thread as it is! :)

What about the Washington Hogwarts? Harry Potter is pretty popular these days.

I certainly wouldn't be happy about it, but yes I would. Though if or when that happens I think they should maintain some elements of how it is now either in color or something to give us something to remember the team Washington Redskins

Apparently no one wants to read the link I posted. There is nothing racist about the name Redskins, at all.

If anything is racist, it is the Cleveland Indians mascot. The Redskins symbol is a proud representation of native Americans.

I read it, although some of the legal terms I didn't understand, but I got the gist of the article. Thanks for posting.

Not a chance in hell I would support a new team in Washington (which is what it would be). I'd actively root against the team and would support the stripping of the new team of any historical connection to the Redskins (ie they'd have to give up the Redskin trophies and records).

I've always seen the Redskin name as respectful. To me it shows admiration for the Native American people.

That being said, I wouldn't completely be opposed to a change of name. I would prefer if there were some hint of Native American-ness to it. But truthfully as long as the colors remained the same, and the uniforms didn't change (much), I'd be pretty okay with it.

Yes, I would still support the team, but they would have to change it to the Braves, the team's original name. I've never been one to feel the shame of being called politically correct, but switching back to the original name would be a good move IMHO. Whether it's a curse or whatever, but the the name I've loved since I knew what football was is no longer working for the team. If the name was the Braves then we could still sing HTTR, we would just have to emphasize the second line a bit more. I hate saying that, I feel somewhat traitorous, but I think going back to the original name would be good for the team.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

what about the washington hogwarts? Harry potter is pretty popular these days.

F that!

Woww, its a hard question at least for me.

I don't live in the area, even I don't live in US lol!

When I was a little kid and started to watch football games, I saw a lot of games and all the teams. Back in the day our national tv broadcasted 5 games per week, two at 1pm and 2 at 4 pm and the MNF.

One day suddenly I saw this beatiful helmet with those cool combinations of colors and the logo became an obsession to me.

Why? because my roots are the aztecs, brave people who fought against the adversity, I live in country built by natives. And then the connection was like instant magic.

Its not like cheer for the giants or the patriots for me.

The name to me is like paying tribute and show respect for the natives.

It's funny you bring this up. For me personally, I first heard the controversy when the Skins went to their last Super Bowl. When I first heard about the racial overtones about the team's name, my first thought was, "Come on, I don't see it as racist." But, then I thought about that. I don't see it as racist. While as a black man, I may know racism and have seen it, I don't know the Native-American experience. I don't know what words and what gestures may be offensive to some Native-American groups. And even Charles Mann commented that, "If some Native American groups see it as such, then it could be." What made me think that maybe the name should be changed happened when I was watching an episode of "The Lone Ranger." In one scene, Tonto was being harrassed by some cowboys, and one of them called him "Redskin" in a way the n-word would be used towards me.

Meantime, not too long ago, I attended a seminar at my job to commemorate Native-American Heritage Month. At the end of the seminar, I asked the woman leading it, a full-blooded Native American, if the team's name was racist and why. She commented that not all Native-American tribes don red war point -- something from which the name "Redskins" supposedly is derived. She also said that "Redskins" refers to the color the skin becomes when Native Americans were scalped for bounties.

Really, it all comes down to perception. So, even though, I grew up thinking of that name as Washington's football team, given this, maybe it is time to change the name. An earlier poster suggested "Skins," which I could live with. Another even said going back to its original "Braves" moniker.

It's funny you bring this up. For me personally, I first heard the controversy when the Skins went to their last Super Bowl. When I first heard about the racial overtones about the team's name, my first thought was, "Come on, I don't see it as racist." But, then I thought about that. I don't see it as racist. While as a black man, I may know racism and have seen it, I don't know the Native-American experience. I don't know what words and what gestures may be offensive to some Native-American groups. And even Charles Mann commented that, "If some Native American groups see it as such, then it could be." What made me think that maybe the name should be changed happened when I was watching an episode of "The Lone Ranger." In one scene, Tonto was being harrassed by some cowboys, and one of them called him "Redskin" in a way the n-word would be used towards me.

Meantime, not too long ago, I attended a seminar at my job to commemorate Native-American Heritage Month. At the end of the seminar, I asked the woman leading it, a full-blooded Native American, if the team's name was racist and why. She commented that not all Native-American tribes don red war point -- something from which the name "Redskins" supposedly is derived. She also said that "Redskins" refers to the color the skin becomes when Native Americans were scalped for bounties.

Really, it all comes down to perception. So, even though, I grew up thinking of that name as Washington's football team, given this, maybe it is time to change the name. An earlier poster suggested "Skins," which I could live with. Another even said going back to its original "Braves" moniker.

Almost none of that is true. Ignorance doesn't make something racist. The scalping story is simply not true at all. Think about this... do you really feel like the courts would allow this name to continue to be so prominent if it were truly racist? There is absolutely no evidence that the Redskins name and logo are in any way meant as or derived from negative connotations. It isn't like the name is the Washington Whop Deigo's. Simply because some people are too ignorant to read/understand the actual meaning of the term does not suddenly transform it into something racist... it makes them ignorant, victim oriented people.

Archived