Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll:( Hypothetical Question) Would you still support this team, if for whatever reason the name was changed?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

If they change the name they would have to change it to something that references their history.

I wouldn't be against something like "Pigskins". "Hogskins", "Hogs", "Warthogs"

Warriors? It has no connection to me and would more than likely end my allegiance.

Already hanging on by a thread as it is! :)

I root for the Wizards. It doesn't get any worse than that . . .

/thread. :)

Honestly, I root for the team that represents my geographical area. It doesn't matter what their name is. I'm still praying that Ted Leonsis goes back to "Bullets" though and I hope that Snyder is never forced to change the name of our football team. (Actually I pray daily that Snyder isn't around to make that decision but hey- pray in one hand and crap in the other, right?)

I root for the Wizards. It doesn't get any worse than that . . .

Haha! agreed. Least they could do is scrap the teal, gold, and black look. Worst color combo ever? Any Capitals fans miss that look?

Keeping "Wizards" with the red, white, and blue color scheme would be a good compromise assuming Bullets is off the table.

Warriors? It has no connection to me and would more than likely end my allegiance.

Already hanging on by a thread as it is! :)

Warriors would probably be the path of least resistance, very little would have to be changed about the club. I think the name has a ring to it. "Washington Warriors"

"Hail to the Warriors...Hail Victory...Braves on the Warpath...Fight for old D.C.!"

:ols:

we could do a lot worse. Like "Wizards" for god's sake. :doh:

Come on. Do some of you honestly believe we suck because of our name, and that we will become a good team if we change it? If you believe that, then you believe there is A) a league conspiracy to make us suck, as punishment for our name or B) we are cursed by some force because of our name. For those who think we are cursed, why were the Redskins so dominant in the 80's and early 90's? Were the supernatural forces that place curses out of town that decade? If there is a conspiracy to make us suck, then why watch football? If there is a conspiracy then it would show that football is rigged and fixed.

Is changing our name the only option to us keeping draft picks? Is changing our name going to keep us from trading picks away? Is changing our name going to let us draft better in the later rounds?

Come on. Do some of you honestly believe we suck because of our name, and that we will become a good team if we change it? If you believe that, then you believe there is A) a league conspiracy to make us suck, as punishment for our name or B) we are cursed by some force because of our name. For those who think we are cursed, why were the Redskins so dominant in the 80's and early 90's? Were the supernatural forces that place curses out of town? If there is a conspiracy to make us suck, then why watch football? If there is a conspiracy then it would show that football is rigged and fixed.

Is changing our name the only option to us keeping draft picks? Is changing our name going to keep us from trading picks away? Is changing our name going let us draft better in the later rounds?

all valid questions, and the answer is No. We are just talking about the name itself though. Wins and losses put to the side. Even if we were winning, I would still be asking this question.

Edit: Actually, with a winning franchise that get's much more exposure, this becomes an even more valid question. Let me be clear, I don't support the name being changed, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it either, because I would understand why.

Warriors would probably be the path of least resistance, very little would have to be changed about the club. I think the name has a ring to it. "Washington Warriors"

"Hail to the Warriors...Hail Victory...Braves on the Warpath...Fight for old D.C.!"

I get it but....if they do **hypothetically** change the name they're going to drop the whole native american reference altogether.

If they're going to keep the indian head I don't see the point of going with "Warriors".

I would rather they just not have an official "nickname" and let every fan/pundit just call us the "Skins" *wink* *wink* unofficially.

I get it but....if they do **hypothetically** change the name they're going to drop the whole native american reference altogether.

If they're going to keep the indian head I don't see the point of going with "Warriors".

I would rather they just not have an official "nickname" and let every fan/pundit just call us the "Skins" *wink* *wink* unofficially.

but I think they would lose the logo also. The Indian head logo, would also become part of the team's history. Just use the 70th anniversary uni with the spear.

We could be like prince

The Washington "team formerly know as the Redskins" :ols: We could just have a logo, like the spear, and that's it. Nothing else. :D

all valid questions, and the answer is No. We are just talking about the name itself though. Wins and losses put to the side. Even if we were winning, I would still be asking this question.

Edit: Actually, with a winning franchise that get's much more exposure, this becomes an even more valid question. Let me be clear, I don't support the name being changed, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it either, because I would understand why.

Not really true. The name was never an issue until the Redskins started to suck year after year. With all the losing and an owner who didn't make a good first impression when he entered the league, superstitious people began to wonder if we were being punished for for our name. In addition, some whiny liberals (mostly spoiled white people with guilt) began to pile on our misfortunes.

Back in the 80's when the word "Redskins" was said. One got a feel of power and respect. It attracted positive emotions, with exception of Dallas fans. It was a cool word. With the losing, the word "Redskins" has attracted negative emotions, such as being a joke, dysfunctional, and racist.

Not really true. The name was never an issue until the Redskins started to suck year after year. With all the losing and an owner who didn't make a good first impression when he entered the league, superstitious people began to wonder if we were being punished for for our name. In addition, some whiny liberals (mostly spoiled white people with guilt) began to pile on our misfortunes.

I think the name has been an underlying issue post the civil rights movement. I am not one of those that thinks we are cursed, or another person with an obvious case of "white guilt." I'm just saying, if the name change was done in the interest of public relations, and as a measure of "good will," I would understand why and still support the team.

The name "Redskins" may be offensive to some people. What if we were called the "Blackskins" or the "Whiteskins"? There is an argument to be made here. As such, I would support a name change. This team was originally known as the "Braves." Perhaps that would be better. The worst thing about this would be changing the fight song.

As a caucasion person or English American (or whatever p.c term you want to call me...I prefer just plain ol' American) I would personally NOT be offended if someone named the team "Whiteskins" or even "Palefaces" for that matter. It only refers to skin tone and not character. I don't see how that is demeaning. But that's just me. Some people are more sensitive to things like that I guess.

Now on the other hand, Fighting Irish to me refers to Irish stereoptypes (as well as the Civil War brigade) but no one seems to have a problem with them not changing their name...and neither do I. (take a look at their logo...little leprachaun looking white guy with his dukes up).:pfft:

I would still root for them as long as they are still associated with D.C. and keep the colors.

Although I find it all unneccessary in view of the fact that a native American actually designed our current logo.

As far as the hex goes....sometimes I wonder. I've often wondered if someone tried to bring a billy goat to Fed Ex and couldn't, declaring a hex on us. Or perhaps a construction worker who was a Cowboy fan buried a Cowboy jersey at Fed Ex when it was being built....because we have the damnest luck to this day...:mad::(

My post from a different thread that would be better for this one :

I grew up a Redskins fan and will die a Redskins fan I have always been proud of our logo, color and name. I believe we have the best of all 3 out of all 32 NFL teams maybe aside from the Raiders. I can tell you that some people become a fan or have became a fan of the Redskins just because of the uniform, colors and logo. Believe me if our name was changed (as some of you are talking about we should do) fans would be lost; keep in mind we are one of the biggest fan bases through out sports so fans don't just reside in Washington. I know many oiler fans who are not fans of the texans or titans, I know many Bullet fans who are not fans of the Wizards.

I absolutley hate that there is a so called controversy with our name and native americans and such a passion from some people (a select few) to try and change our name and logo. Number 1 to avoid all controversies all we gotta to do if we HAD to is change our logo to the old school R that eliminates all controversy and correlation with native americans; a name change should NEVER EVER be an option.

Back in the 80's when the word "Redskins" was said. One got a feel of power and respect. It attracted positive emotions, with exception of Dallas fans. It was a cool word. With the losing, the word "Redskins" has attracted negative emotions, such as being a joke, dysfunctional, and racist.

Absolutely false. In 1991 when the Atlanta Braves and Washington Redskins were both playing for championships (we won, suck it Atlanta!) was when the whole PC BS started. There were protests outside the World Series and the Super Bowl. That got coverage. That started this whole fiasco. And it turned out to be like 37 signators that started the whole mess:
The national director of the American Indian Movement announced plans today for a four-day "national summit on racism in sports and the media," including a protest march and informational picketing at the Super Bowl Sunday that could include as many as 3,000 demonstrators.

"We're going to rally . . . to launch a massive demonstration against the Super Bowl and one of the most racist and derogatory names in sports history {the Redskins}," said Clyde Bellecourt of Minneapolis. "We're going to let the world know we're not going to tolerate that any longer."

Bellecourt said the summit will begin Thursday at Augsburg College here, with representatives of Native American groups …

Team nicknames and logos receiving increased criticism

Braves fans' 'tomahawk chop' is focal point

The Associated Press

October 26, 1991

MINNEAPOLIS — Persuading sports teams to stop using Indians as mascots may be the second most difficult task for some American Indian groups. First, they must agree among themselves.

World Series protests over the Atlanta fans' "tomahawk chop," which attracted hundreds of people as well as national media attention, are the most visible episode in the debate. Bui Indians say the practice of naming teams after them has been a matter of contention for some time.

However, what if Dan Snyder (or some future owner) decides that changing the name of the team to something like "Washington Warriors," and losing the Indian warrior on the side of the helmet in favor of something like the 70th anniversary spear would be in the best interest of the public relations of the club.
Doesn't matter if they dress them up in top hat and tails and call them the Washington Wonkas. I'd be embarrassed but what other team in the world do I live and die for?

Besides, when I think warrior, I think Marines (like my son, Jacob, recently wounded in Afghanistan). I will never think of a warrior as anything else. Put an M4 on the helmet surrounded by a garland of grenades.

Absolutely false. In 1991 when the Atlanta Braves and Washington Redskins were both playing for championships (we won, suck it Atlanta!) was when the whole PC BS started. There were protests outside the World Series and the Super Bowl. That got coverage. That started this whole fiasco. And it turned out to be like 37 signators that started the whole mess:

That was probably the first incident, but it really didn't become an issue until we started sucking. There were incidents like you said, but it wasn't nearly as common as it has been recent years. I for one voted maybe, but if the Redskins did change their name, I probably wouldn't be a fan. I didn't grow up in Virginia so I would have no reason to pull for a team that is no longer the Redskins. The name is iconic. If your name is Scott in real life, change the c to an n and go by Snott. It's just a letter. What's the big deal?

We should never change the name. The name of this team of very little consequence in the big scheme of things. Everyone thinks the names offensive and America has a dark history with the Native Americans but I guarantee no one is going to give the land back that was taken and the other wrongs that happen.

Archived