Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll:( Hypothetical Question) Would you still support this team, if for whatever reason the name was changed?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

i voted no but truth is i really dont know if i would or not. if they went back to the old name "The Braves" maybe i could because that would be a reference to our history as a team but to change it to something say like "The Bulldogs" ..... hell no

i am a bit too nostalgic for a major name change

Those idiots who think our name is offensive don't realize this is a name we root and cheer FOR........ right?

I mean, if we were to be as rotten as the racists suing the Redskin organization, then sure........OK. Fine. Lets go by the name Frontiersmen. Daniel Boones. Colonials. Revolutionaries. Continentals. If we aren't allowed to even HONOR and CHEER for "native americans" without SOMEONE calling us racist, F it. Be done with that, and pick a totally different mascot. Don't let whiny racist cry-babies have any power over us. And be sure to pick a mascot that DOESN'T glorifiy whoever the few racist cry-babies extoll. Pick just the opposite, as I suggest above.

I don't see anybody complaining about Cowboys, Vikings, Padres, etc. F anybody who says "Redskins" is racist. When it was an indian chief who came up with the term as a non-offensive term, the team was named to keep an indian theme and even in deference to our head coach at that time, and the name was only made bad by the westerns movies. Go sue Hollywood you idiot lawyers! And go F yourselves.

/rant

I can't believe the origin of the name has not been mentioned yet. It is NOT a racial reference to skin tone. It is a reference to war paint.

Where did the name Redskins come from?

Surprisingly, the name Redskin is not a North American one. Its original meaning had nothing to do with the scalps of Indians. The original name was a European one used to describe Algonquins who painted their face with bright red ocher and bloodroot, thereby making their face red with war paint. Only later on was it implied that the name was derived from a Native American's exposure to the sun or from the scalps of Indians that were paid to cowboys as bounties. Unfortunately, for some reason, perhaps because of our own ignorance, the name is believed to come from the human scalps of Native Americans. However, the original meaning comes from Europe and was used by the Europeans when they arrived in North America, hundreds of years before any reference to any other meaning was used. This is supported by Reader's Digest in its book "Americas Fascinating Indian Heritage" where it is quoted as stating the name Redskin was..

"inspired not by their natural complexion but by their fondness for vermilion makeup, concocted from fat mixed with berry juice and minerals that provided the desired color. The men would streak their faces and bodies with bright red ocher and bloodroot."

It doesn't end there, red is the most common color used by Native Americans in painting their skin. According to Dress Clothing of the Plains Indians by Ronal P. Koch,

"Red is generally accepted as being one of the colors most easily available to and most used by Indians for decorative and ceremonial purposes,"

Therefore, contrary to popular, and misguided opinion, the original name was never meant to imply anything other than the color of war paint. It was only much later that people wrongly applied the name to mean something derogatory.

Read more: http://www.bukisa.com/articles/195813_the-battle-over-the-redskins-name-are-native-americans-offended#ixzz16jgs47Ue

do you think REAL boston braves fans switched their allegiance? how about the Tennessee oilers? i personally would still love the team because i am a hometown team guy. give me Redskins(or warriors), Wizards (or bullets), Caps, Nats, and (Mason) Patriots and im a happy man.

I've said it on several occasions, including on this site, I'm a fan of the Washington Redskins. If Daniel Snyder were to give in and change the name without being forced to change it, then I would have to think long and hard about whether I wanted to support the new team, whatever their name would be.

Not every stupid idea that pops into one's head (and that has already been discussed ad nauseam for years) needs to be a message thread. Why am I wasting my time even typing this?:mad:

actually, "ad nauseam" means something has been discussed until nobody wants to discuss it further. Judging by the response to this thread, I would say your off on your assessment. Personally, I'd rather discuss this topic than read a thousand "we suck" "there is no hope" "Snyder/Shanahan/Allen/Player X sucks" threads all day after a loss.

I would say all of THAT has been discussed ad nauseam.

I think they should rename the team the Washington Pigskins. We can keep the same colors, continue calling them the Skins, and have very little else. It fits with the glory years of the team and the "Hogs", pigskin is synonymous with football, and whether the Tea Party likes it or not, there will continue to be "pork" in Washington.

The Washington Hogs

:)

edit:

Virginia Wild Hogs?

I have had it with the "PC idiots", ****ing whining about names or logos of teams which were here generations before them.

Get a ****ing life, mind your own business, go feed the starving pigmies in New Guinea, ANYTHING, but just shut the hell up!

The people who own these teams can name them anything they want, its none of your business.

Whether some may think of it as being a possible change for the better, maybe the team will turn around,

B. ****ING S. !

Society today is SO SO SO SO different than it was 30 yrs ago; everyone so "concerned" with everyone elses business instead of taking care of their own; reminds me of how the team's performance is and has been for the last 10+ yrs...

This is a sore issue with a lot of people because of people who think that the name is a disgrace to Native American's but you never hear anything about the Florida State Seminoles, Atlanta Braves, or any other professional, college, amateur or high school team being accused of being disrespectful of Native American's. It is only due to the location of the this team that it has such a greater impact than any other team and some people just want to make a statement. When do we stop blaming what happened in the past and start livingin the present. Yes, I would still follow this team if it changed it's name but you don't change to because you want to make someone feel better about you. So do we also change the song? That also has references to Native American heritage. Why don't we just leave the names of teams off the end that way we don't offend anyone especially the diverse ethnic groups we have in this country. The Supreme Court has ruled on this and it is a dead issue. If you hate the name then don't root for them and instead continue to root against them either way I don't care what you think. the Redskins will be the redskins no matter what happens.

This might be the most thoughtful post I've seen in one of these threads. I would argue however, that despite the contrasting styles of Cleveland's "Chief Wahoo" or whatever his name is and the Redskins current logo, they're equally bad in the eyes of many. I think that if the name of the team was changed to "Warriors" or "Skins" then we should revert to the spear logo. But I think we should revert to that logo permanently anyway, so.. :)

I agree with you it was a well thought out post and I agree with parts of it but to change something just because a few say it is offensive is just plain dumb. But that is the way this country has become. We are too worried about what someone is thinking or feeling and God forbid if you do something a ethnic group thinks is discriminatory. You end up being portrayed in a bad light without anyone knowing the true meaning behind it. Don't change anything just because we want to be sympathetic.

actually, "ad nauseam" means something has been discussed until nobody wants to discuss it further. Judging by the response to this thread, I would say your off on your assessment. Personally, I'd rather discuss this topic than read a thousand "we suck" "there is no hope" "Snyder/Shanahan/Allen/Player X sucks" threads all day after a loss.

I would say all of THAT has been discussed ad nauseam.

IF you had even thought to follow the message board rules and done a search, you would have found dozens of these types of threads. It HAS been discussed ad nauseam and I AM sick of people bringing up such a useless thread AGAIN. Any moderator could have easily suspended your new threads privileges because you failed to follow the most basic rule on the this message board.

It is still the regular season and a lot of "real" stuff to discuss. Changing the Redskins name is not even going to happen. You just wanted to see you name up in lights.

IF you had even thought to follow the message board rules and done a search, you would have found dozens of these types of threads. It HAS been discussed ad nauseam and I AM sick of people bringing up such a useless thread AGAIN. Any moderator could have easily suspended your new threads privileges because you failed to follow the most basic rule on the this message board.

It is still the regular season and a lot of "real" stuff to discuss. Changing the Redskins name is not even going to happen. You just wanted to see you name up in lights.

The simple solution for you is to not post in the thread, if it bothers you that much.

Archived