Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Colts Better Be Ready For "Rugged Redskins"

The NFL's rating system must be BS then.

Sad fact is that we are lucky. We have been lucky so far, but if we continue to give up this many yards then expect a below .500 season.

You sir are clueless. I don't care if we were giving up a 1,000 yds a game, because if the other team doesn't score than it is all for nothing. Also we were ranked #10 D last season and our record was 4-12, so yeah I am much happier with this D so far.

Sad fact is that we are lucky. We have been lucky so far, but if we continue to give up this many yards then expect a below .500 season.

In fairness to the NFL, it's not a "rating system" as much as a single statistic...yards per game. It's not like they are coming up with the defensive equivalent of the QB rating where they would take into account turnovers, PPG, 3rd down conversion, etc. If they did that, I would be pretty confident in stating that we would NOT be 32nd in the league.

Also we were ranked #10 D last season and our record was 4-12, so yeah I am much happier with this D so far.

Not to mention the offense is 15th in ypg (337.2) and 24th in ppg (17.8), and last year we were 22th in ypg (312.5) and 26th in ppg (16.6) so it's not as if our offense has changed much, yet we've beaten some teams we wouldn't have had a chance against last season.

I think the real difference is that we've become a Big Play team, I just wish we could get a solid run game going with it that would help keep our D off the field and let us run out some clock.

I like how physical we are playing, but it's not going to be an easy task. Peyton is probably the best QB in the NFL, is extremely smart and adept at reading blitzes/coverages, and has a very quick release. It's not going to be easy getting to him. The best we can do is slow him down by decleating his receivers. We need to lay the wood on his pass catchers and tight ends, so they think twice about catching the ball.

They are going to score points, period. If we have any chance of winning, it'll have to be on the shoulders of our offense. We need to have a big day rushing the ball, and score TD's for god sakes...not FG's

They are going to score points, period. If we have any chance of winning, it'll have to be on the shoulders of our offense. We need to have a big day rushing the ball, and score TD's for god sakes...not FG's

This right here is the key: 18 points ain't gonna win this one, this time. How many back-to-back bad games does Manning have in his career...this is the hardest game to pick this weekend!

I would tell the players that if they get close enough to Manning to hit him. Take acouple personal fouls if u need to. The only time I have ever seen peyton off his game is when he's getting hit and crying g to refs. It would also just further solidify our d as some bad mother ****ers too.

I would tell the players that if they get close enough to Manning to hit him. Take acouple personal fouls if u need to. The only time I have ever seen peyton off his game is when he's getting hit and crying g to refs. It would also just further solidify our d as some bad mother ****ers too.

Shoot... we will take those 15 yarders anytime you want to give them to us. If there is one thing that I have learned about P-Money... he is a tough SOB. Those 15 yarders just put us closer to the endzone.

We have been lucky so far, but if we continue to give up this many yards then expect a below .500 season.

I agree that we cannot continue to give up 410 yards a game and expect to go anywhere this year.

However, to be fair we've faced three top ten offenses this year (four in the top twelve), and held two of them to fewer yards than their season average. (Another one, Houston, got 100 extra yards in overtime.)

I'm not saying our defense is good, but I do think the yards-allowed ranking is a little deceptive.

Only one stat bears out your notion.

and yes, YPG is a flawed way to look at a defense. It's the only one they use, however, because no matter how you rank a defense you have flaws.

Scoring D,, doesn't factor in returned kicks against a team or turnover returns for TDs when they figure it all up. They just divde the total points by the games, doesn't matter how the points were scored. Hard to count a TD given up on a punt return against a defense, but they do.

Yards don't say much.

For example, this past weekend the Packers marched up and down between the 30s. They did not put points on the board.

Is that lucky? When we stop them 3 straight from the one yard line, no it isn't lucky, we hit them in the mouth.

Is it lucky when we catch their receiver and force him to fumble? Hell no it's not, but we did that too, and all the NFL counted towards our defensive rankings was that he got ten yards before we took the ball from him. But the bottom line is that we took the ball.

You say we're lucky in that game, I say we force luck. As in the Packers being a measly 15% on 3rd down. As in they gained only 17 first downs all day.

Their rushing yards are inflated by a 71 yard run, and on that "drive" they got their only TD.

Every other drive went pretty much nowhere.

It's not "bend but don't break" .. it's "so what if you throw it for 300 yards. You aren't putting it in the end zone. And furthermore, while you're cranking up stats but no points, we'll be busting up your players and sending them out of the game."

Think about that.. in each game (except dallas), key players from the other team, if not THE key players, get broken up. Andre Johnson, Mike Vick, Assante Samuel, Steven Jackson, Clay Matthews, Donald Lee, Jermichael Finely, Aaron Rodgers.. that's an A list if ever there was one, and they have all felt the wrath of this D. It's like the only ones they missed were Schaub (sacked five times) DeSean Jackson (totally taken out of the game,, oh and who is this Jeremy Maclin guy? Didn't see him all day), and Greg Jennings, who was also a non factor.

To better illustrate their accomplishment, the last time the Packers scored 13 or fewer was in 2007.

The last time the Packers scored fewer than 20 was last November. (in a win), in fact, over the last 3 years, they've only scored fewer than 20 five times. Beyond those five games, they average nearly 33 points per game, which is one hell of a potent offensive output. Match that with a top flight defense which they have, you see why they are picked by many to rep the NFC in the Super Bowl. And the Redskins held them to 13 points and sent half the team back to Wisconsin in an ambulance.

So say we're lucky. The fact is the only thing that backs you up on that is your own say-so.

~Bang

Skins should watch tape on the Jags from a few weeks ago and study up on what Greg Williams did to Peyton in the Super Bowl. Wouldnt hurt to turn on some Texans tape from week one, either.

Hopefully this game is kinda like what the Texans did to Indy in week one.

Well when you only factor in one stat and decide to base your entire premise on that single stat, then yes it IS BS.

YPG is a nice stat, but so are PPG and TO.

Wow, we got a lot of immature fans in here. Hoping that you cause injury to the other team, and bragging about the injuries you have caused, is just classless. When the hell did we turn into Eagles fans? When Eagles fans cheered Michael Irvin nearly breaking his neck, they were rightly criticized as a bunch of *******s. Hows this thread really much different?

I hope we beat our opponents at full strength, I hope for no injuries on either side, and i hope some of you grow up.

Archived