Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Schools enforce year round conduct rules

MattFancy

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-10-11-school-discipline_N.htm?csp=34news&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+usatoday-NewsTopStories+%28News+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Students across the country are going on notice that drinking, smoking, using drugs or posting risqué photos on the Web on weekends and during the summer can get them sidelined from school activities during the school year.

Student athletes and those involved in other extracurricular activities in states including New Jersey, South Carolina and Indiana are signing codes of conduct that hold them accountable for their behavior regardless of whether school is in session.

Some parents say their districts are going too far.

"Schools are crossing the boundary of what they're authorized to do and crossing into the realm of the family — that's unconstitutional," says attorney Matt Wolf who is challenging the policy in Haddonfield, N.J., where he represents a teenager who lost extracurricular privileges because of an underage drinking charge.

Haddonfield's attorney, Joe Betley, says the district is well within its right to establish rules for participating in extracurricular activities.

"We can demand higher standards in leadership positions and from those wearing the uniforms of Haddonfield," Betley says.

Good. They need to be taught that actions carry consequences. When they get jobs, they won't get fired for posting drunk pics of themselves in compromising positions that result in getting fired. Learn the lesson early.

Cue the, let the kids be kids crowd in 3, 2, 1 ....

IMO the schools have no legal authority to try and control what students do off school property or while in the care of school officials off school property. If this is challenged, and it will be, it will be thrown out.

I agree. You can control what happens on school property, but not off of it.

IMO the schools have no legal authority to try and control what students do off school property or while in the care of school officials off school property. If this is challenged, and it will be, it will be thrown out.
They are not controlling what all students do, just those that wish to participate in extra-curricular activity (i.e.sports). That is not a right. that is a privilege. And as such, the school has a right to restrict participants from participating in illegal activity.

They aren't controlling it. They give you an option: abide by these rules or you are not permitted to participate in optional extra-curricular activity.

Well I played sports in HS, I don't know many of the kids that weren't drinking and partying on the weekends. Its a fact of life in HS. If the parents don't have a problem with it, why should the school?

Well I played sports in HS, I don't know many of the kids that weren't drinking and partying on the weekends. Its a fact of life in HS. If the parents don't have a problem with it, why should the school?

Parent's don't know in half the cases, some might not even know the consequence, and the other may not have a problem, however - it's the chance you take. These kids know if they get caught they are off the team.

The only thing I dislike about this – is year round there are less checks. In season you can have teammates holding others accountable. Out of season you can’t have this. Some teammates hang out together in season, some don’t. There will be many more suspensions. Then you get into the suspensions that ‘somehow’ the schools ‘missed’ because it’s a star player, and they have to have their star quarterback play to get $ and their high school name out there.

Then you get into legal cases.

I see this ending up bad. Keep it to “in season”.

Because it is ILLEGAL??

How old were you when you had your first drink or smoke?

You of course do not have to answer that, however if the answer is "before it was legal" you're an absolute hypocrite.

If your answer is "after it was legal" or "never" you qualify as either a saint or a nerd. Possibly both.

You have never done anything illegal in your life? I hope you don't speed...

Drinking at someone's house under parental supervision is not a big deal.

And who knows, maybe in a couple of decades when the cops arrest you for letting a group of 16 year olds get drunk at your place they'll buy that line. But I doubt it. Just be sure to let your kids know from an early age that getting hammered at 13 is no different than daddy doing 65 in a 55. I don't know that the school has this power, but they're not getting expelled. They're being told that if you drink/smoke pot/do anything else illegal, then you can't play sports. Sure it'll cost a couple of kids scholarships no doubt, but hopefully that means those kids will learn that actions have consequences before the run over a pedestrian their freshman year at college because they were driving drunk after a big win.

My sophomore year of high school, a girl friends dad went away for the weekend and we invited some of the boys over from the prep school down the street. A couple pictures went up and some of the boys were reprimanded and given detention for being in pictures drinking beer.

Of course we all freaked out but nothing happened to us girls. Maybe it was because some of the boys were boarders at the school? I don't know. I just remember defiantly telling my parents that if the school tried to give me detention for drinking beer on the weekend, especially not at a school function (like homecoming or something) I would have been pissed. My parents told me I shouldn't be drinking anyway and then they grounded me from after school activities the week the boys had to serve detention :silly:

I feel like the schools have good intentions, but I also don't really think it's their responsibility to regulate the kids' lives when the kids are not in school. Leave it up to the parents or the authorities if the kids are doing illegal things and posting it online.

so you can't play volleyball if your are drunk during the fireworks?

So much for within 1000 feet signs.. going to have to change them to "conduct watched through web-cams".

on page 33 of the forms: if you turn off your webcam you can be suspended from after school activities.

Exactly. They have absolutely no legal authority to enforce anything off campus or if the students are not on school sponsored activities. What's more is that the following has absolutely no legal bearing in that a person by signing a paper does not and cannot sign away any legal rights they may have regardless of what the paper says.

Don't sign the rules of conduct if you can't follow through, IMO.

It's great for a school to have clear boundaries regarding what is and is not acceptable.

But not like this. Or at least, not in a public school. Private schools can do whatever they wish on this particular front, IMO.

The Constitution exists for a reason. If you want your kid to be educated in an environment where the nation's most important document holds less power, than send them to the Our Blessed Saint Eugene of Isolated Weirdness Full Gospel School on the other side of town. As a private institution it's free to subject affiliated minors to whatever overbearing after-hours witch hunts their parents allow.

Schools have been getting pretty ridiculous lately. When I was in high school I remember people who graduated only a few years before me dumbfounded at how strict schools had become. They have so many ridiculous rules nowadays, and I don't see the reasoning behind many of them.

Now my brother is in high school, and things are worse than ever. It's not just things like drinking and smoking, it's the little things that they complain about that really gets me.

Good. They need to be taught that actions carry consequences. When they get jobs, they won't get fired for posting drunk pics of themselves in compromising positions that result in getting fired. Learn the lesson early.....

It's not the school's responsibility to raise your kids. That's the parent's job.

Why is that always left out in these types of arguments?

Archived