Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Dagger was being used by Buck when you were still in middle school. It has nothing to do with Maynor or OKC.

Yup. Dagger has been around since 2000/2001.

The Post, I think Steinberg probably, did a story about it's history a few years back. I'm about to bounce from work but maybe somebody here can find it and post it.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 08:27 PM ----------

Wall has never had good muscle definition. Still a freak athlete anyway.

I met Wall at the draft party back whenever that was. Six months ago? He looked NOTHING like that. If that pic is legit, he's gained probably 25 pounds. And it's not good weight either.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Even if all you do is upper-body, you wont be able to burn the necessary amount of fat needed to keep off a gut like you would if you also implemented cardio and lower-body exercises. I'm willing to give Wall a pass for his condition. He's been virtually inactive for the past 2-3 months.

That's completely false. There is cardio work that could be done without using your lower body. Swimming for one. Oh, and maybe he could be eating better.

I would still Flip Beal for Harden every time, but at least Beal is showing the makings of a quality player.

Yeah I don't know. Harden is playing a lot better now and the Rockets are winning now but I'm still not 100% on board with a Harden trade. I think it would have made us a lot better this year. But I'm not as sure about that long term. For one thing you're right, Beal does look good and seems like he's going to be a good player. I'm happy with him. But there are two other factors you have to speculate on when you weigh a Harden deal:

1.) Salary and cap flexibility.

2.) This year's draft pick.

If we had Harden and he played at this level for us. there is no way our we'd be 5-28. I'd speculate we'd probably be close to .500. Without Harden we're still in young team tank mode and the one positive you get out of that is a valuable draft pick.

It's not just Beal + Singleton you give up for Harden, it's those players + max contract slot + probable top 3 draft pick.

What if we can get a stud like Shabazz with that pick? Two or three years from now does Harden still trump Beal & Shabazz? Or more immediately, what if we use that draft pick to pick up Cousins. Does Harden then trump Beal & Cousins? I'm not sure he does.

It also strikes me that trading Beal is a much, much bigger price than Houston actually paid for Harden. Beal would eventually be their starting SG and he's got All Star upside, especially if he were playing in OKC where everyone gets an enormous amount of space to operate.

That's completely false. There is cardio work that could be done without using your lower body. Swimming for one. Oh, and maybe he could be eating better.

For an athlete like wall, doing all upper body and not focusing on cardio/lb exercises isn't going to keep a gut off. He was given strict instructions of what he could/couldn't do.

For an athlete like wall, doing all upper body and not focusing on cardio/lb exercises isn't going to keep a gut off. He was given strict instructions of what he could/couldn't do.

Again, that's simply not true. A modified diet and cardio work without involving his lower body is possible and should be expected. It's not like he just put on 5 lbs over a few months.

Again, that's simply not true. A modified diet and cardio work without involving his lower body is possible and should be expected. It's not like he just put on 5 lbs over a few months.

We're talking about two different things....

I'm saying that if he's not focusing on cardio (even while doing UB workouts) or LB exercises, he's going to pay for it.

You're saying a modified diet (which I agree) and cardio work involving his upper body is possible.

He could have done HIIT or something along those lines for his upper body, but from the reports given, he was told NOT to do anything. This is why I'm giving him a pass for his current condition.

We're talking about two different things....

I'm saying that if he's not focusing on cardio (even while doing UB workouts) or LB exercises, he's going to pay for it.

You're saying a modified diet (which I agree) and cardio work involving his upper body is possible.

He could have done HIIT or something along those lines for his upper body, but from the reports given, he was told NOT to do anything. This is why I'm giving him a pass for his current condition.

I'm not just blaming him, I'm blaming the organization. I'm not doubting your reports, but I don't understand why they had him doing absolutely nothing. I get no lower body work and if it was the off season it would be different, but if everyone was hoping for him to come back this season then putting extra weight on a bad knee doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

And your right, if he isn't focused on cardio, he will pay for it to some degree. I just think it was excessive weight gain from the looks of it.

Edited by Hersh

I'm not just blaming him, I'm blaming the organization. I'm not doubting your reports, but I don't understand why they had him doing absolutely nothing. I get no lower body work and if it was the off season it would be different, but if everyone was hoping for him to come back this season then putting extra weight on a bad knee doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

And your right, if he isn't focused on cardio, he will pay for it to some degree. I just think it was excessive weight gain from the looks of it.

I was thinking the same thing...it's really strange to me that the organization told him to stay inactive. Excessive weight gain is not good on the knees for anyone...especially for Wall.

Edited by RonArtest15

I wonder why the team didn't make him get a nutritionist/personal chef? Someone smart should be cooking his meals for him and holding him accountable while he rehabs. Do LeBron, Nash, Rose, Kobe, etc. cook their own meals and get to eat whatever they want?

Stuff like this is why we're second rate. Why other teams seem to get their players back from injury more quickly and small injuries linger forever for our guys and lead to conditioning problems for the entire year.

I wonder why the team didn't make him get a nutritionist/personal chef? Someone smart should be cooking his meals for him and holding him accountable while he rehabs. Do LeBron, Nash, Rose, Kobe, etc. cook their own meals and get to eat whatever they want?

Stuff like this is why we're second rate. Why other teams seem to get their players back from injury more quickly and small injuries linger forever for our guys and lead to conditioning problems for the entire year.

Same organization that wanted Javale to come out of pocket for a big man coach. Nothing surprises me anymore....

The whole organization, franchise team whatever you want too call it is a joke and its sad we have too root for this. People can say get another team but I was grown too like all the home teams and am super loyal too all of them, exception is college football when i was young I didn't like it until I watched Charlie Ward and Florida State then only tuned too college football because of them.

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

http://www.nicekicks.com/2013/01/reebok-to-no-longer-play-in-performance-basketball-arena/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

On the heels of John Wall practicing in adidas sneakers, we have confirmed with a source that Reebok will be refocusing their efforts, and will no longer produce Reebok brand basketball performance sneakers.

Underrated good news.

So JWall lost his shoes? His ugly ugly ugly shoes?

Also Blatche is in the news:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/net_foul_night_7gXiSIE1aIQzueXw8IdNSO

Way to make Brooklyn proud!

Nets forward Andray Blatche found himself embroiled in a scandal after a night out on the town in Philadelphia ended with a 21-year-old woman calling cops to his hotel suite early yesterday — saying she had been sexually assaulted by at least one of his pals.

Sources said the woman, a stripper at a Philly club where Blatche, 26, and a handful of friends were celebrating his contract being guaranteed through the end of the season, followed the group back to the Four Seasons hotel suite along with two other exotic dancers.

Edited by Destino

It's slipped under the radar because we suck so bad, but Oak has quietly had a good run of games lately. He's been rebounding a lot better. The past 11 games he's averaged 11 rebounds / game. If he keeps it up, he'll have become a very useful player for us.

Or a useful player for another team LOL. Hopefully.

Couldn't figure out what he was wearing in that blurry gut photo....Reebok is going all in w/ the crossfit right now...I wouldn't be surprised if they're on life-support in a matter of a few years. They've fallen off HARD.

You all remember John Wall having shin split issues (or whatever) his rookie year? And then Ted told me in an email that the issue was his shoes and that he was working with Reebok to get it fixed? (And then I posted that on here and Ted--who I guess reads message boards) wrote me back threatening to break up...I mean never talk to me again.)

I read today that John Wall looks really good in practice. Also saw that Reebok is not canning their basketball division and they wish John Wall the best of luck in the future. I would think that means Wall terminated his shoe deal. Glad he saw the light and didn't sacrifice his career wearing ****ty shoes!

I remember my first and only Bullets game. My family had a beach house in Ocean City, MD and for some reason when we were driving through Salisbury there was a mall, and there was a Boscov's and they were advertising something like a free t-shirt with the radio station we were listening to. I don't know if it was because I was begging, but for some reason my family stopped (we normally stop there to shop anyway) and my dad and I went to find out where they were.

So we get there like, "Do you have free t-shirts, we were listening in the car!" or something and the guy broadcasting was like, "No we are all out... but we do have these..." and in his pocket was two tickets to see the Bullets! How awesome is that for a 13 year old who loves his local teams (really, I feel like I religiously watched them through High School...). I checked pro basketball reference and it was definitately the 1993-1994 season... because Muresan was on the bench and near the end everyone was just cheering for him. Gugs and MacLean stick out to me.

Oh, and even though the Bullets were awful I consistently would just take them undefeated through the NBA Live Genesis series ('93 through '98). That was my payback to the NBA.... I'll never give up on my team. No matter how cheap the owners is, or how stupid the GM is, or how talentless the roster is because of said stupid GM's moves, or how injured the key players are because of stupid cheap owners cheapness.... they are, my team... and every time I see this thread I come in and read it... "oh, did the Wizards win... did something exciting happen...." even though it's been 10+ years since I lived in the DC proper area.... I don't mind talking or listening to the Lakers, sure its LA team, I understand (and even though the Clippers are winning they still talk mostly Lakers) I'll always represent the Wizards in those conversations.... because no matter how many times I get burned by the team, Wall is going to kick ass, Beal is going to win the 3 pt shooting contest, the shot chucker is going to win a couple of games for them (pick who I'm talking about), and there will always be next game, next draft, and next season... (and were I so inclined I could purchase the next generation of NBA video game and even at my advanced video game playing age figure out all the "cheese moves" to hit the computer with and run the tables..."

One more thing, Nationals are the Expos and I still love the Orioles!