Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Just a look at how Beal compares to some other notable rookies.

[color="black"]
Pk	Tm	Player	College					G	MP	PTS	TRB	AST	FG%	3P%	FT%	MP	PTS	TRB	AST	WS	WS/48
2	CHA	Michael Kidd-Gilchrist	University of Kentucky	32	880	346	205	56	.491	.333	.763	27.5	10.8	6.4	1.8	1.7	.092
3	WAS	Bradley Beal	University of Florida		31	969	406	113	82	.367	.323	.819	31.3	13.1	3.6	2.6	0.8	.039
4	CLE	Dion Waiters	Syracuse University		28	865	400	73	90	.371	.315	.768	30.9	14.3	2.6	3.2	0.1	.008
6	POR	Damian Lillard	Weber State University		34	1294	620	116	221	.420	.354	.853	38.1	18.2	3.4	6.5	2.5	.092
7	GSW	Harrison Barnes	University of North Carolina	33	834	301	139	48	.423	.338	.693	25.3	9.1	4.2	1.5	1.2	.072[/color]

Beal has been a different player since the new year began. His past 5 games are VERY encouraging, not just from a statistical standpoint, but from an aggressiveness standpoint as well. We're not seeing the same 19 year old who was down on himself if things weren't going his way. We're now seeing an extremely confident player. I hope he can sustain this new-found style. THIS is the guy we expected when he was drafted #3 overall. With Wall back in the fold potentially on Saturday, we'll hopefully get a glimpse of what this team can be with two good backcourt players.

Last night was no fluke. This team played inspired basketball on both ends of the floor and proved that they can be competitive. I was mostly encouraged by the defensive effort as the hands were extremely active.

Anyways, the game last night was good distraction from the RG3 hurricane. Let's keep it going!

*Still an advocate for bringing in Boogie.

I'm a Beal man. I loved the pick. I'm feeling a little vindicated by this stretch but I want to see him keep it up.

I still want to bring in Boogie too. Wall and Beal would be off the table in the deal. If we could do it without giving up Nene too, that would be amazing. You'd have the potential for something really special with those four.

If you can't get a deal done, I'm for spending the draft pick on Shabazz or a big and I think that could fill a need.

One thing last night demonstrated though was that this team plays best with an 8 or 9 man rotation. We need to start trading away some of the excess pieces to consolidate the backups into just a few, high quality guys. We can role with journeymen like Price as our bench warmers. By the end of this year we need to determine which ones of Ves, Booker, Seraphin, Singleton, and Crawford are worth rolling with long term. None of them are starters ideally.

What I'd do is try to work in a ten man rotation for next season:

1 - Wall

2 - Beal

3 - Martell

4 - X

5 - Nene

6th man creative scorer - Crawford

Backup C - Oak

Scoring big - Seraphin

Space & rim defender - Vesely

Backup PG - Temple

benchwarmer 1 - Cartier

benchwarmer 2 - X

That's your roster defined by roles. To me that means we should be looking to deal Booker, Ariza, and Singleton. Then you start looking to upgrade the individual pieces here and there but new players you bring in should be able to fit into the same roles as the guys you're upgrading. You can't have a disorganized collection of talent without clearly defined roles all over again. Guys have to know what their job is and what their expectations for minutes should be.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 10:06 AM ----------

Anthony Bennett is averaging 19 & 9 on 56% FG % as a freshman.

He's only 6'7 but he's got a 7'1 wingspan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0oekBTHJOL4#!

He's a bit short, a tweener forward, has no back to basket game and is a terrible defender. But this kid is a very special offensive player. He and Shabazz are the cream of the class offensively. He's got power, speed, length, hands, and explosiveness. Great shooting touch. He can shoot and he's got excellent handles. He's got a brilliant face up game for a 19 year old PF. Productive rebounder.

It's an easy comparison, but he really is like Larry Johnson athletically but with handles. He's going to be a 20 PPG scorer in the NBA but he's also going to be a sieve on defense. He's a lot of fun to watch. I'm intrigued.

Bennett is kind of an opposite end of the spectrum from Nerlens. He's as bad defensively as Nerlens is offensively. And he's as good offensively as Nerlens is defensively.

He's got NBA ready bulk and power but subpar length. Nerlens has stellar length but subpar bulk and power.

Right now I think you still rank Nerlens over Bennett because his upside is better. He'll develop some offensive skills he can go to whereas I think Bennett is always going to be a ****ty defender--not fast enough to defend wings like Melo, LeBron, Durant, Harden, etc. Not tall and cognizant enough to defend PFs. Nerlens doesn't have anything remotely resembling Bennett's scoring instincts but he's got a much better motor and he's a higher IQ player.

But it's going to take a lot longer to see the return on investment with Nerlens then it will with Bennett. Bennett is going to be scoring points and showing signs as a rookie.

Tough call to make between them. Both are good.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 10:38 AM ----------

It strikes me that this is a make or break draft for us if we keep the pick.

We've got a chance to elevate ourselves with a key final piece if we nail the pick. If we blow it we'll potentially cap off the John Wall era at a late seed because Wall, Beal, Nene is probably never going to be good enough to contend with just those three. By the time Wall and Beal are fully mature, Nene will be too old.

So what do we do if we keep the pick? These scenarios are how it's playing out in my head right now:

- Go BPA and it's Shabazz. Best all around player and prospect. Great athlete. Greatest scoring tools and instincts (good shooter and slasher/finisher plus has post up offense with a nice hook). Looks like a crunch time go-to scorer. Clear NBA role and future. But he's not a super clean fit for us. He's ball dominant (though not a selfish player) and isn't a true SF. He's a Joe Johnson/James Harden tweener SG/SF. What we need is more of a true SF because our lineups would be a tad small running Wall + Beal + Shabazz. He also doesn't address our need for a big and for rebounding.

- Shabazz isn't available or we're not going BPA to try and get a big:

- Go Zeller for the classic scoring big. He's an elite low post scorer and a true big man. Upside is limited compared to some of the others because of his length and so-so athleticism. But he plays a valuable NBA position and has a pretty high floor. Poor man's LaMarcus Aldridge. Maybe a Brook Lopez type. Not necessarily a good fix to our rebounding problem. A starting PF/C though and an upgrade over Seraphin.

- Go Len for more upside than Zeller but he's got mcuh lesser scoring tools and frankly, has not been as good a player as Zeller at any point in their careers. True C though with potential for a solid all around game. He's valuable, there are not many true centers around any more and they are hard to get.

- Go Nerlens for the most upside and athleticism among the top bigs but the least offensive ability at this point. Questionable touch. No handles. No shooting ability. But far better athleticism than Len or Zeller, much more of a total skill set because of his elite IQ, hands, passing ability, and shot blocking ability. He's valuable, kind of a poor man's Anthony Davis

- Go Bennett for the scoring and offensive upside. Shorter, lowest potential as a pure big man. Low defensive potential. But his outstanding perimeter ability on offense makes him unique among the other front court guys. He's going to be a much better NBA scorer than all of them and he actually has a better wingspan than Zeller despite the fact Zeller is a 7 footer.

or we could go BPA and that pick could be Ben McLemore. This is my least favorite option even though McLemore is good. He's not really better than Beal though and he can't easily get on the floor with Beal and Wall. He's a pure SG.

Shabazz Muhammed or bust. Kidding, but I would probably go

1. Muhammed

2. Noel

3. Bennett

Assuming of course we end up with a top three pick. I can't wait until the 2014 draft though, that class is going to be crazy good with Wiggins,Parker, Randle the Harrison twins etc.

So most seem to be in agreement that Shabazz is our best option.

Makes sense to me. I think the best bet in the NBA draft is almost always going BPA. Shabazz was the BPA before the year began and he's having a good year. No reason for him not to remain the BPA up until draft day unless something awful comes out in the offseason, like medical or character or measurement related.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Take it for what it's worth

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/1/8/3851032/john-wall-injury-washington-wizards-ted-leonsis

Ted Leonsis hints at John Wall possibly returning from injury on Saturday

By Mike Prada on Jan 8, 11:57a

John Wall's return date from a stress injury has been a moving target for weeks now, but in yet another sign that it's coming soon, Washington Wizards owner Ted Leonsis blogged about his hope to have every injured player on the court for Saturday's game against the Atlanta Hawks. Here's the way he phrased it:

We now have a few days off in a scheduling rarity. We play next on Saturday night at home and it is possible but not quite certain, for the first time all season, that we could dress all of our players. I don't want to jinx it, but we are all hoping that is what we will see. Stay tuned. Thank you.

In addition, Truth About It overheard Wall telling an autograph seeker that he too was hoping for a Saturday return.

Obviously, you never know with injuries, but Saturday has always been the logical return date for Wall by my best guess. As Leonsis mentioned in his blog post, the Wizards have a rare break in the schedule before another home game. That gives them several days to practice to see how Wall's knee responds to increased activity.

Time will tell, though.

I've been on the Bennent and Shabazz train for a while now. Really good fits for the Wizards. If not that, Best Center available.

Yeah I'm thinking that's a good strategy except I'd expand best center available to best big man available. I wouldn't rule out the PF types like Zeller because I think that could be really valuable to us.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21516141/report-nba-player-questioned-for-alleged-sexual-assault-

CBS Philly is reporting police sources have confirmed a member of the Brooklyn Nets and his associates are being questioned about an alleged sexual assault that is said to have happened in a Philadelphia hotel early Tuesday. The Nets are in Philadelphia, where they will play the 76ers on Tuesday night.

Police sources have confirmed that a member of the Brooklyn Nets basketball team and his associates are being questioned in connection with a sexual assault that allegedly happened inside a Philadelphia hotel.

According to sources, a 21-year-old female filed a complaint alleging that she was sexually assaulted inside the Four Seasons Hotel in Center City at about 4 a.m. Tuesday.

Nets general manager Billy King issued the following statement:

"We are aware of the ongoing police investigation regarding a member of the Brooklyn Nets. We will have no further comment until the investigation has concluded. All of our players are available for tonight's game."

Stefan Bondy

‏@NYDNInterNets

A source tells the Daily News the player who was questioned by police is Andray Blatche

I was watching the game last night wondering how we would blow it. Nice to see the coach draw up the last play for Beal and him come through in the clutch. And yes he was fouled.

Russell Westbrook is scary quick by the way.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 12:33 PM ----------

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21516141/report-nba-player-questioned-for-alleged-sexual-assault-

Stefan Bondy

‏@NYDNInterNets

A source tells the Daily News the player who was questioned by police is Andray Blatche

Oh ****! We told you about this guy NJ / Brooklyn!

I am sorry for everything I ever said negatively about Beal, about 2 weeks ago I realized that this kid is only 19 years old on a scrub wizards team with there star player hurt. His play over the past month has been getting better and better and his last few games dude has been a beast other than the Miami game.

Now that picture of Wall is pretty bad had that been Blatche everyone would have blew up. That's a super gutt, there is almost zero muscle definition, his knee is messed up not his upper body. He is at blame for sure but where the hell are the physical trainers for the Wizards? Wall has said in a interview about a week ago all he does is play video games, eat and sleep. This is during the season not in the off season so he should be with physical trainers eatting and working out.

I am sorry for everything I ever said negatively about Beal, about 2 weeks ago I realized that this kid is only 19 years old on a scrub wizards team with there star player hurt. His play over the past month has been getting better and better and his last few games dude has been a beast other than the Miami game.

Now that picture of Wall is pretty bad had that been Blatche everyone would have blew up. That's a super gutt, there is almost zero muscle definition, his knee is messed up not his upper body. He is at blame for sure but where the hell are the physical trainers for the Wizards? Wall has said in a interview about a week ago all he does is play video games, eat and sleep. This is during the season not in the off season so he should be with physical trainers eatting and working out.

Even if all you do is upper-body, you wont be able to burn the necessary amount of fat needed to keep off a gut like you would if you also implemented cardio and lower-body exercises. I'm willing to give Wall a pass for his condition. He's been virtually inactive for the past 2-3 months.

Wall has never had good muscle definition. Still a freak athlete anyway.

He's a beast no doubt but this is my problem with the organization not so much Wall, they allow these guys too do what ever they want and expect them too progress not only as basketball players but as men.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 02:11 PM ----------

Well damn

If this team start turning the corner...I doubt we'll have any chance at a top 3 pick. So...while I want to see them win more...I can't help but think "well so much for the tank."

Priority one ought to be someone like cousins. Playing with Wall and Nene ought to do well for his mental state. Okafor has actually been able to play himself into a serviceable player lately. With trade rumors picking up I imagine we may be able to dump him sooner than later. Not sure about Ariza though. We truely need a stretch 4 on this team though. Singleton could have been one but he's regressed pretty vulgarly.

If cousins does end up wanting out, and he sees WAS playing better and helps dictate a trade here, I think Seraphin+C. Singleton+1st round pick (top 7 protected) for Cousins and filler ought to be enough. I'll also assume in such a scenario we probably wouldn't have a bottom 7th pick so we won't be picking in this upcoming draft. If Crawford can make himself into some sort of useful asset (he has been playing at least average as of late) I'd see if maybe we can flip Crawford+Booker+lotto protected '14 pick for D. Williams+Backup PG of their choice

So potentially:

Wall/Luke/Tomas

Beal/Temple/FA 3pt shooter

Webster/2nd rounder/Ariza

Nene/D. Williams

Cousins/Nene/Vesely

Might have some money to sign a SF if I'm thinking this through right cause this is assuming we off load Okafor. I really wanted Brandon Rush this offseason...maybe GSW would sell low on him on draft day since he tore his ACL.

*I'm basically trying to build the "washington Grizzlies" here, superior low post play, with excellent defensive effort.

Edited by nuposse87

The term dagger is ironic because VCU's legend Maynor is on OKC. He hit a shot against Duke which was known as The Dagger because of the yell of IS THIS THE DAGGER?! I usually root for OKC on the side because of Maynor but I was happy to see the Wizards win. Clutch shot by Beal.

Dagger was being used by Buck when you were still in middle school. It has nothing to do with Maynor or OKC.