Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Boogie's last 5 games...averaging 19/14 and shooting 45% from the floor. Obviously, you'd want that FG% to be higher, but this dude is an absolute BEAST.

Outside of Wall/Beal, I'd be exploring EVERY option to bring him to DC. We need him here. Attitude and other "issues" be damned. I keep going back to what SM said earlier. There is absolutely NOTHING to lose by bringing him in.

Cousins is an absolute monster. These are the kinds of performances he's capable of on any night when the opponent doesn't have the size to contain him. He's eventually going to settle into a 20+ & 10+ big.

I don't know what it would take to get him. His ownership doesn't want to deal him. All I know is that if you get Cousins, a Nene/Cousins/Wall/Beal/Martell lineup with Crawford and Oak coming off the bench would actually be pretty damn good. With the potential to grow into something special.

I just can't see any scenario in which we get Cousins and still keep the trio of Wall/Nene/Beal.

The other assets, and I use that term loosely, on this team just are not strong enough, in any combination, to bring back a player like Cousins.

Edited by StillUnknown

I just can't see any scenario in which we get Cousins and still keep the trio of Wall/Nene/Beal.

The other assets, and I use that term loosely, on this team just are not strong enough, in any combination, to bring back a player like Cousins.

Sweeten the deal by flat out giving the Kings our 2013 1st round draft pick. UNPROTECTED. I think as long as the Wizards are willing to part with the pick, we'll have enough assets on the roster to get the deal done.

I would be upset if we gave up our (hard earned) draft pick this year plus assets, especially Crawford, for a guy that is hated on own team, routinely gets suspended, curses out his own coach, and is being questioned around the league about whether he can mature enough to contribute. They should be begging anyone to take him off their hands.

Oh wait, this is the wizards we are taking about. We are certain to lose on this trade.

Sweeten the deal by flat out giving the Kings our 2013 1st round draft pick. UNPROTECTED. I think as long as the Wizards are willing to part with the pick, we'll have enough assets on the roster to get the deal done.

Still don't think that gets it done. Cousins is still more valuable than any combo the Wizards could send + the big they would draft to replace him. Maybe an unprotected 2014 gets it done, but I wouldn't want to throw away any chance at Wiggins.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic we could get Cousins while keeping Nene & Beal. I just have a hard time believing the Kings couldn't find a better dance partner.

---------- Post added January-5th-2013 at 12:35 PM ----------

ixMW6Y0DIfToo.gif

this draft is weak. Muhammad? Len? Zeller? IDK. Trade the unprotected pick, and anyone on the team not named Beal or Wall. Nene and Cousins instantly contend as the best 4/5 in the East, and our core is set with Wall/Beal/Ariza/Nene/Cousins. That ain't that bad. By the time Cousins and Wall will need new contracts, Okafor and Ariza will be off the books and Nene will be in the last year of his deal. Can Wittman, get a real coach, who won't put up with Demarcus' ****. Demarcus would behave on a roster that should compete for a playoff spot and John Wall in his ear. That's how this team should go about it, but with Ernie at the controls, it's probably not going to happen.

---------- Post added January-5th-2013 at 03:28 PM ----------

I think you can trade the two firsts and bank on the fact that you won't be in the lottery in 2014 with that lineup, ala RG3

I think Cousins having such a strong preference for DC could play a role. I think it could scare other teams away from him TBH.

I think this is a situation where our best move is to come on strong to Sacramento, give them a good and fair offer so they don't feel the need to go searching for a bunch of other trade partners. Also give them something so they can save face and come away selling a bottom line positive to the fan base. Much like how the JaVale--Nene deal went down. We took on a risky, cumbersome contract and gave up a young big with talent, got back a better big and were able to sell a culture change.

They need something similar out of the deal. The most natural move would be to deal Nene and take a bad contract back to make the salaries work--they give up a troubled but talented young big that's undermining the coaches and management. They get back a big man whose (currently) better and benefit from the culture change we sought.

The problem is I don't really want to give up Nene. We can build something with him. And again, we lose the positive chemistry he brings to the roster, swapping him for a guy who can be a destabilizing element.

I wonder about the best timing for the deal. It might benefit us to wait until the offseason to try and deal for him. At that point our draft pick will be set and we'll get the expiring deals of Oak and Ariza to work with. Oak's 14 million is pretty attractive. Team's are going to be trying extra hard to get under the tax next year because of the new penalties kicking into effect that summer. Plus that's also the summer when a bunch of the stars his the open market or they have opt out clauses scheduled for that 2014 summer. The league is going to be changing a lot that offseason.

---------- Post added January-5th-2013 at 10:28 PM ----------

So, Kevin Love has a fractured hand.

http://i46.tinypic.com/1410e9z.png

Sweeten the deal by throwing in the Wizards 2013 1st round pick to the Kings. Would this get it done?

I think that deal makes a lot of sense for Minnesota. It makes them pretty powerful once Love and Rubio get back to full speed.

But I don't think it's enough incentive for Sacramento unless our pick is something like a first or second overall selection.

I also think it's a pretty steep price we end up paying. We're giving up the best player in the deal, losing our draft pick (looks like a top 3 lock right now), and picking up two bad contracts of almost 13 million for three more years.

If Cousins ends up being as good as his potential says he can, it'd be worth it. But if he doesn't, you've given up a lot that we could potentially build on and then made it a lot harder for new management to come in and press the reset button. One of the reasons the Wall era rebuild has taken so long to get underway is that it took us three entire years to dismantle the old team and get a fresh start. Hell you can consider the Oakariza contracts a residual effect of the Arenas deal since it's his cap money we swapped for them.

Beal had a nice dunk again.

---------- Post added January-6th-2013 at 07:41 PM ----------

Vesely getting some burn tonight. Got six points so far.

---------- Post added January-6th-2013 at 07:46 PM ----------

Miami is so much better than us. Their shot making ability is on a completely different level than ours and they are so much smarter defensively. We're actually not playing that bad but Miami is just easily going basket for basket with us.

---------- Post added January-6th-2013 at 07:50 PM ----------

Man we really need to do something about our rebounding. Miami is out-rebounding us and they're a bad rebounding team.

---------- Post added January-6th-2013 at 08:05 PM ----------

Getting schooled by the Heat's big four. Too much talent and experience.

Nene has been absentee this game. Though I haven't been following it as closely as usual. Heart's not in it after the Skins loss.

---------- Post added January-6th-2013 at 08:10 PM ----------

Well we totally fell apart here at the end. 21-0 run here at the end.

I always hate playing teams like the Heat and the Bulls and the Knicks. It's depressing to know there is nothing you can do against them. You look at our lineup stacked up next to theirs and you're just like, God... we are so far away.

Ray Allen is the fourth best player on their team and he would probably be the best player on our team. Mike Miller and Shane Battier are at the bottom of their 8 man rotations and they would probably be our second or third best players this year.

From the box score, it looked like everyone had a bad game

We were sort of treading water for most of the game up until the stretch run in the fourth when they put all the key starters back in. That rotation of LeBron, Wade, Allen, Bosh, and Miller is absolutely lethal. LeBron and Wade are such good defenders you can put anyone on the floor with them because they guard so many different positions.

We were wholly outclassed. It was pretty depressing to watch them go off on us like that. 21-0 to close out the game. We couldn't score a single point over the final six minutes.

We need to shake this tree. Some sort of change needs to be made. Ernie getting fired would be nice but not going to happen. A Cousins trade would suit me. Wall getting back and playing at a high level would at least be something.

Other than Wall getting back, nothing is going to happen. Do you read Ted's take? One of his recent posts was taking about all these efficiency stats when Nene plays and how important it is that guys are back at practice. He goes on to say that it's going to take time for the chemistry to develop, guys to get back in playing shape, etc. and than we will all see what kind of team we really have.

One of the worst things that could happen is that the Wiz play something like .400 basketball, which still is terrible, but will be used as the reason to do nothing and the new excuse will be that they just need an off season together.

Other than Wall getting back, nothing is going to happen. Do you read Ted's take? One of his recent posts was taking about all these efficiency stats when Nene plays and how important it is that guys are back at practice. He goes on to say that it's going to take time for the chemistry to develop, guys to get back in playing shape, etc. and than we will all see what kind of team we really have.

One of the worst things that could happen is that the Wiz play something like .400 basketball, which still is terrible, but will be used as the reason to do nothing and the new excuse will be that they just need an off season together.

I can't read Ted's Take. It's a waste of time. It's as insightful and reliable as reading Pravda would have been during the Stalin regime. Serves the same purpose.

But getting Wall back and showing improvement couldn't be the worst thing for us. We need him to start showing signs that we can build something worth a damn around him. The worst thing for us would be if he came back and was horrible and we've got no hope at all of anything positive on the horizon.

I've already accepted Ted won't fire Ernie this year and start restructuring the organization. My only realistic hope is that when Ernie's extension is up Ted will let him walk. My hope is that by that point, Wall will have shown he's an All Star caliber player and he and Beal will be at a stable enough point in their careers that we could drastically reorganize the team around them with a new front office.

I can't read Ted's Take. It's a waste of time. It's as insightful and reliable as reading Pravda would have been during the Stalin regime. Serves the same purpose.

But getting Wall back and showing improvement couldn't be the worst thing for us. We need him to start showing signs that we can build something worth a damn around him. The worst thing for us would be if he came back and was horrible and we've got no hope at all of anything positive on the horizon.

I've already accepted Ted won't fire Ernie this year and start restructuring the organization. My only realistic hope is that when Ernie's extension is up Ted will let him walk. My hope is that by that point, Wall will have shown he's an All Star caliber player and he and Beal will be at a stable enough point in their careers that we could drastically reorganize the team around them with a new front office.

That's the catch-22. If Wall is an all-star and Beal is playing well, Ernie keeps his job even if the team isn't really winning. Maybe we have a new coach...maybe.

That's the catch-22. If Wall is an all-star and Beal is playing well, Ernie keeps his job even if the team isn't really winning. Maybe we have a new coach...maybe.

Ernie only got a two year extension. Part of me still believes that was Ted's way of punting the issue of Ernie's incompetence to 2014 when a couple major things will happen:

1.) The landscape of the entire league is set to dramatically change. The FA class that summer is potentially ridiculous--even more ridiculous than 2010. And the new luxury tax penalties are set to kick in and a lot of teams are going to have to radically change their rosters and the way they do business to avoid the new tax. It's pretty crippling.

2.) The Wall/Beal era will hopefully be stable enough for them the weather a change as significant as a new GM and FO being installed. Making big changes at this point when Wall's career is in such a fragile place and Beal is just a rookie could completely stunt them. Hell a new GM could have come in here and immediately started trading everyone. I think Ted believes there is a worthwhile core to be had here. And as far as Wall and Beal, I still agree they are worth building around.

Everyone else could be dealt though. Ted probably still thinks Nene, Crawf, Booker, Ves, Singleton, and Seraphin are untouchable and that they're as much a part of the core as Wall and Beal. I think that's a big error in judgement and I'm thinking that will be settled by 2014 one way or another.

I don't know what to read into that. Wall is coming back?

Though there doesn't usually seem to be a rhyme or reason to these moves. Next bit of news we'll get is that Pargo or Livingston are back.

Price also isn't far from returning. Temple has outplayed Mack in just about every aspect, one of those would have to go before Wall & Price came back.

---------- Post added January-7th-2013 at 05:50 PM ----------

Price & Ariza are available off the bench tonight.

Damn the one game I go to this year, Nene and Crawford are out

At least the Thunder are real exciting to watch

Its never a bad thing watching a future all-time great in Durant in person.

---------- Post added January-7th-2013 at 06:47 PM ----------

CSN showed a video of Wall practicing without a shirt, conditioning will probably be a factor when he does return.

Edited by StillUnknown