Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

He's got a nice little mid range game.  Got some turnarounds, which he can get off against any guard, and he's got tear drops.

And he hits the dagger.  Long three off the dribble.  This kid is aggressive and confident.

Look at the form on his jumper when he doesn't hitch on the release.  Great balance, great elevation.  High release point.  That is the foundation for a knockdown shot.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

53 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I am starting to open up to Culver on the Wizards but he has to play the 3

I think you have to embrace positionless basketball.  Having a team full of 6-7 and 6-8 guys playing beside one true big who is a 6'10+ rim protector.

Culver fits into that style.  He can basically guard any perimeter position plus do some weak side helping into the paint like a more traditional 4.

If we were pegging him into a traditional position, I think he'd be a SF most likely.  Not a blazing first step, so more likely to get by other 3s off the dribble.  But he has shown a fairly well developed back to basket game.  His turnaround fades from the high post look good and he's got some low block scoring tools too.  So if he did get matched up on 2s, he could post them up and shoot over them.

I'm really curious about his height measurement.  If he's 6'8, then his draft stock is going to be really high.  Under those circumstances, he'd probably be a top five pick and draw Paul George comparisons.  I doubt that he'll be as good as George because he's not as vertically explosive.  But there are so many parallels between them, like the late rapid growth spurt that made them into NBA lottery picks after being afterthoughts as HS recruits, and being the biggest NBA talents in their college program's history.

I go back and forth on Culver.  I love the way he plays defense, and I love his potential.  6'7-6'8 ball handlers who have elite defensive potential and have his confidence and versatile skill set + have the foundation for a really great jumper are some of the most valuable players in the game. 

But I do not love the some of moments where he shows poor BBIQ and scoring instincts.  He can see the floor because he's so tall and there are times where he's patient and makes the clever read to skip the ball.  But you can definitely tell when he's decided he's not going to pass it and he will force the issue at the rim for crap shots.  We had a problem with this with Kelly Oubre.  I kept hoping he'd get smarter and more instinctive, but he never did.

But I will say this--Culver is a much better ball handler than Oubre, and he has a bigger toolbox than Oubre.  Oubre has absolutely no mid range game.  Culver is already a really good tear dropper and he can post up when the drive doesn't get by the defense.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Don't know if he's right but it wouldn't surprise me.

One thing I do know: Denver fans seem perplexed as to why Connelly would take this job.

if Grunfeld got 16 years, any form of competence is likely a lifetime position

Denver has drafted really well, especially considering they were never really in position for premium prospects.

Edited by StillUnknown

Feels wrong to leave a good job working for a top two seed with a good core built around a young superstar to come here.  But there are a million personal reasons people make decisions like this.  Could be from DC or have family in the area or have kids going to school in the area.  Or could be friends with someone else in the organization, etc.

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Feels wrong to leave a good job working for a top two seed with a good core built around a young superstar to come here.  But there are a million personal reasons people make decisions like this.  Could be from DC or have family in the area or have kids going to school in the area.  Or could be friends with someone else in the organization, etc.

Grew up in Baltimore, transferred to DC his junior year of college.

• Like 1

Crucial tank game tonight.  Lose out for Culver?

Right on cue, Beal take an awful looking fall where it looks like he concussed himself and broke a wrist... ****'s sake.

Next trip down he ends up in the stanchion.

We are straight up spitting in the face of the Gods.  Daring Les Boulez to smite us again.

Connelly would be a dream right? Baltimore native and was an intern with the Wizards in the 90s.  But would that be enough for him to leave a roster stacked with promise and future for the Wizards?  And Wiz would have to give up compensation right?