Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

What are you basing this on? I don't know what to tell you here because their chemistry is so obvious to me when I watch them. On paper, it doesn't seem like they'd work together. But just watch them for five minutes in a game. Watch their body language and the way they make plays for each other. They're just tight knit. They know each other and know how to play together.

Small sample size, but as a floor general when Jordan went down for a few games with an ankle injury, I thought John performed considerably better as floor general. I'll always maintain that Wall is best suited with a catch and shoot guard in the mold of something like Hamilton. Crawford doesn't compliment much unless his shot is falling. For that reason, I never want Crawford to start for this organization again, but I know he will because he's earned PT by default experience with Wall. I don't care how tight nit they are, they only perform if Crawford's shot is falling. Crawford also has poor man to man D if you ask me, at least Nick young was capable of that.

I also think Jordan is very popular in the locker room.

This isn't a popularity contest, this is all about production

Crawford isn't a selfish player. He dishes the ball well. His usage is high because he's also the primary playmaker most of the time he's on the floor, both facilitating and finishing. That's the role he's been asked to play.

This a problem in itself, because he can't handle the load. He makes too many mistakes and just can't be effective without the ball. I really don't see how anyone can consider this guy to be efficient. While his assist to TO ration is positive, for someone who handles the ball as much as he does he hasn't really shown any sign of improving in this department.

Completely different players, completely different situations. Crawford doesn't have John and the coaching staff publicly calling him out and isn't getting shut down for most of a season for being out of shape.

true but that doesn't excuse his abhorrent shooting, he should be getting an earful and riding the pine until he learns to play within his ability.

First off, Okafor will probably win the starting job outright if healthy. Seraphin showed well for himself but he's not a better player than Okafor in offense, defense, or rebounding. Seraphin is actually a weak rebounder, and that alone is probably reason to start Okafor ahead of him since Okafor is a very good rebounder.

Bull**** on two of these. I'll be the first to admit, I'm high on seraphin but he does have his faults. However, there is no way you can tell me Okafor is a better offensive player than him. Okafor's stats this past season do him disservice because he was injured so we can take a look at the previous year as a better gauge. They both had virtually the same PER, Seraphin with 15.8 and Okafor at 16.0 the season before last. Seraphin's per is probably higher once he was inserted into the starting lineup, his stats may be weighted down a bit from the first half of the season. Okafor's TS is a bit more .58 to .55 but I haven't really seen Okafor do much in terms of a back to the basket game. He finishes well, but I don't think he could be like...a 3rd option. I think 3rd option is reasonable for seraphin when he gets in his prime. He already exhibited a superior post game display this season. Rebounding absolutely goes to Okafor. I will not deny that. You have to examine though, with Seraphin on the floor, the team's rebounding went up compared to when we had Mcgee. DrTG rating gives okafor a 2 point edge to Seraphin 103 to 105, I'd like to see how that number compares with seraphin's post all star break figures. Seraphin surprisingly, per 36 is also a better shot blocker than Okafor. I'm not sure 3 rbs a game difference is warranted to start Okafor over seraphin. I'd like to have one veteran big man with the 2nd unit anyways.

Seraphin can not create offense for himself. He's a finisher. He needs space in the lane and someone to get him the ball in his spots so he can get that jump hook off. He's not an offensively diverse enough player to carry the scoring load by himself, even on the second line. He's not skilled enough yet to work his way to the hoop consistently from any spot with technique.

I think he has shown if we get him the ball down low with good position, he can go to work rather effectively. My only issue with him at this point is will he pass back out once defenses collapse down him. I don't see many teams doubling up on Okafor as he really isn't a low post threat. If seraphin grows as a passer it would make life easier for cutting guard.

You're completely overlooking Crawford's offensive creativity, which explains why you think he's no better than a d-leaguer. It's almost his entire source of value. And it's an extremely valuable quality. It's what got Dion Waiters drafted 4th overall. Crawford is a highly skilled scorer and he can also run point. Those are not for nothing.

The guy makes great passes, I won't deny that. He also makes nearly an equivalent amount of mistakes. He isn't a highly skilled scorer. Blatche scored a **** ton when we traded the farm. He didn't do it efficiently though. While I give props to JC for exuding effort, he is demonstrating the same facade we had with Dray, nice numbers on BAD efficiency. That doesn't equate to a "skilled scorer," just simply, a scorer.

That's crazy, Crawford has already demonstrated he has the qualities of a valuable rotational player.

Do you think Jamal Crawford is a valuable rotational player? Jordan is cut from the same cloth. Similar numbers, extremely similar skill set, similar build and athleticism, similar ideal role.

jamal is a career 35% 3 point shooter at least. 2:1 in the assist to TO department. He also has a career TS of near 53%...Jamal's first few years showed he would be a good 3 point shooter, and had pretty efficient play making ability. I've seen Jordan go off for a few games, but you can't put him and Jamal in the same league yet, at least in terms of efficiency. The one similar thing is that they are both ****ty defenders.

The team needs offensive creativity and Crawford brings it. John is the only other highly creative offensive player. Beal is a rookie and was not noted for his handles or slashing/passing ability. None of the forwards can handle the ball. The bigs aren't high volume ISO scorers. Cartier Martin is a pure spot up shooter. Get rid of Crawford and this team has absolutely no creativity when John goes out. I think it'd be a terrible mistake to get rid of him just to get a redundant big or get rid of Blatche. That's what the amnesty clause is for.

I'd rather just amnesty blatche as well, but I doubt management will do that. if they do, sign someone like...Watson, anyone, just to take ball handling duties away from crawford in Mack. I seriously abhor our guard play outside of Wall and Beal.

Btw as to the game itself. I'm happy Jan learned how to shoot, and is a tad bit more aggressive...but he looked a littler slower than usual. Not slower than the average 4, but what gave him some advantages last season was his superior quickness... I hope our strength and conditioning coaches notice this. The J is looking great though.

Beal looked great in the 1st half. I think the entire squad kind of sulked in the 2nd half, so I'm not terribly concerned. You can tell ATL's defenses were focusing on him, so it was a good wake up call for him. Singleton....hmmm...garbage time stats :/ Verdict is still out on him IMO.

Mack has no business in the NBA. He got toasted today.

Btw as to the game itself. I'm happy Jan learned how to shoot, and is a tad bit more aggressive...but he looked a littler slower than usual. Not slower than the average 4, but what gave him some advantages last season was his superior quickness... I hope our strength and conditioning coaches notice this. The J is looking great though.

Beal looked great in the 1st half. I think the entire squad kind of sulked in the 2nd half, so I'm not terribly concerned. You can tell ATL's defenses were focusing on him, so it was a good wake up call for him. Singleton....hmmm...garbage time stats :/ Verdict is still out on him IMO.

Mack has no business in the NBA. He got toasted today.

I remember reading somewhere that the team plane got in later than they expected, the entire team looked dead in the 2nd half today.

I thought Vesely came out perfectly, knocked down his shots, and played with intensity...then he missed the dunks and his confidence went to hell. Oh well, he's young and learning. I liked what I saw though...definite improvement. His stroke is smooth. I can't believe they said he has the highest verticle on the team - that's madness.

As for Beal, I was expecting more from him...I thought he played like an average player. Jenkins was eating his lunch with the shots he was making over him. We shall see how he improves in the next game.

Tomas played very shaky when he first came in, especially with those back to back turnovers with his ****ty ball handling. He redeemed himself later with strong drives to the basket. I'm looking for him to be our backup PG next year in the mold of Rubio...he just needs more seasoning and to develop his shot.

Singleton....not impressed. Mack sucked. Shavlik Randolph should be cut immediately.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Sources-Houston-making-plays-for-Howard/-/1637132/15500010/-/vhw244/-/index.html

Sources: Houston making plays for Howard

Oklahoma City also making offers

The Houston Rockets are ready to make a trade for Dwight Howard, sources confirmed to Local 6 Sports Director David Pingalore.

NBA sources have confirmed to Pingalore on Thursday night that the Rockets will not only give picks and players, but "cash is the priority."

Pingalore was told this was the team Howard is most likely to end up at. However, Pingalore also learned Oklahoma City is making a push for the Magic center. Pingalore was told that the Thunder are offering James Harden and Serge Ibaka.

Pingalore's sources believe Houston will be the final destination point, despite Oklahoma City's offer to the Magic.

I think Dwight is an idiot....he'll be an idiot of EPIC proportions if this trade goes through to the Thunder and he doesn't extend. A core of Dwight, Durant, and Westbrook will be playing in the finals year after year after year....

I'd take that trade if I'm Orlando. I'd also see if they'd throw in PJIII as well.

Thunder+ Howard is a frightening proposition for the entire NBA. All they would have to do is sign wing shooters and they'd be set for the most part. I still think Houston's deal is a better offer, because honestly, the money Ibaka might command may make him not worth retaining. While Harden might be max worthy, I'm not sure it would function as good of a rebuild for Orlando's part.

Edited by nuposse87

Orlando needs to pick a deal and run with it. Everyone is busy hating Howard and that's cool... But the truth is that they've known they need to make a trade since before the start of last season. Dwight could have not accepted the additional year and been gone by now. They are getting a lot of chances and behaving like they have the luxury of time.

With less teams interested every day offers wont get better. If they find nothing but draft picks and someone to dig them out of the cap hell they created, that's a heck of a lot better than where they'll be if he simply walks out of town.

Edited by Destino

Ummm... If I'm Orlando, I'm asking for Westbrook for Howard + extension... not Harden and Ibaka.

Give me Westbrook for Howard straight up and we'll call it a day.

Otherwise, I'm not making a super team with my own hands. I'm shipping him Houston instead.

But if OKC did offer Westbrook, I'd take it in a cocaine heartbeat.

And you know what, If I'm OKC and that's what Orlando wanted to make this happen, I'd absolutely do it.

---------- Post added July-13th-2012 at 11:36 PM ----------

I'm still not totally convinced Dwight will walk for nothing in UFA. Nobody has ever walked away from that 30 million before.

If I'm Orlando there is no way I trade Howard for Dwight and Harden. All that accomplishes is putting me in basketball purgatory for the two years of team control I get with those players without clearing my books at all.

That deal won't happen. It's a terrible deal for Orlando. Instead of being a high lotto team they're a 7th or 8th seed in the East. They can get that just by keeping Dwight and seeing if he really will walk as a UFA.

No, demand Westbrook. He's a true blue star you can build around. That's not a price I would hesitate to pay if I'm OKC. Durant is plenty enough perimeter scoring on his own. Find a Kendall Marshall like pure distributor to run the point and let Dwight do work.

Let's be honest, when is OKC going to beat Miami with Westbrook and Durant while Miami's core is still in it's prime? They won't. They're just not as good. But pair Dwight with Durant and they would absolutely murder Miami. They'd be a matchup nightmare for them. Miami has no answer whatsoever for Dwight and all Dwight needs to become truly unstoppable is a distributive PG and a big time perimeter player to work with and that's a transcendent team.

But if OKC did offer Westbrook, I'd take it in a cocaine heartbeat.

And you know what, If I'm OKC and that's what Orlando wanted to make this happen, I'd absolutely do it.

Yep. Ship off your healthy 24 year old already top 5 NBA point guard who's only getting better for a prima donna center with back issues and no guarantee he'll sign long term. Orlando fans would be thrilled with you as GM! lol

It's hard to judge a player like Vesely in summer league play. He's never been the guy to get the ball on offense and be asked to create a shot for himself.

He's the type of player who thrives playing off ball. If he's knocking down 15 ft. jumpshots, that helps others more than it helps him. All of a sudden he's a good pick n roll and pick n pop option. But in the end, his play is directly related to the quality of starters around him.

Edited by No Excuses

Yep. Ship off your healthy 24 year old already top 5 NBA point guard who's only getting better for a prima donna center with back issues and no guarantee he'll sign long term. Orlando fans would be thrilled with you as GM! lol

Check the previous post. I said it would have to be a sign and trade with Dwight signing his full extension. And for a trade to OKC, I think Dwight would do certainly do it. He already wants to sign the thing, he just wants a destination where he can contend.

Westbrook for Dwight plus extension is a win for OKC. They give up a great PG for the best big in the game. Neither have entered their primes yet. OKC gets the best player in a straight player for player swap.

Consequently, they also get their way to beat the Heat now. Miami is vulnerable to a player like Howard, and Howard transforms the OKC D.

---------- Post added July-14th-2012 at 11:07 AM ----------

It's hard to judge a player like Vesely in summer league play. He's never been the guy to get the ball on offense and be asked to create a shot for himself.

He's the type of player who thrives playing off ball. If he's knocking down 15 ft. jumpshots, that helps others more than it helps him. All of a sudden he's a good pick n roll and pick n pop option. But in the end, his play is directly related to the quality of starters around him.

Yeah. He'll always be one of the last options on offense. He just needs to finish his opportunities in transition, hit a few jumpers, and keep the ball moving.

Defensively though, he can be one of the difference makers for us if he gets stronger and keeps improving.

I'd like to see him rebound better. If he's got a future as our stretch 4, then he's got to rebound well.

I'm curious about how many minutes Vesely gets this year. There aren't minutes at the 4 and 5 spot with Nene, Booker, Okafor and Seraphin who are all better options than him. Okafor will backup Seraphin and Booker will back up Nene.

I'm guessing Jan gets minutes at the 3 spot this season. Which means Chris Singleton is out of the rotation. Hypothetically Vesely can replace Booker in the lineup, but Booker was a quality back up last year and was showing an improving outside jumper to go along with a good drive in game.

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/07/14/

Report: Howard will be traded to Lakers

This is not going to come as welcome news to Daryl Morey and the Houston Rockets, but there is a report out there today from an Orlando TV station that Dwight Howard is very close to being traded to the Los Angeles Lakers.

David Pingalore of WKMG-TV in Orlando uses some pretty strong language in his report.

“This past week has been nothing but multiple smoke screens concerning the Dwight Howard drama. According to Pingalore’s sources, this week is all about getting Dwight Howard to Los Angeles and on the Lakers roster. Sources close to the situation believe the “The Lakers will be the end game for the Magic center”.

It has long been known that the Lakers were on Howard’s B-list, and that B-list came into play midway through the week when the Brooklyn Nets abandoned their pursuit of Howard and chose to retain Brook Lopez with a max four-year contract with $60.8 million.

Howard reportedly has lucrative incentives in his deal with adidas if he finds a way to play in one of the nation’s two largest markets — New York or Los Angeles.

Interesting. A Howard for Bynum swap then? That's better than Ibaka and Harden for Orlando.

There are a couple questions I have about that move though. The Lakers still have 61 million + Steve Nash's contract on the books for next year. I assume they'll have to use the Bird exception to extend him, but that puts the Lakers cap number at almost 90 million with only 6 players under contract. They going to go with all vet minimums, rookies, and the MLE for the final six players? I doubt it.

First step would be getting rid of Pau Gasol's contract I suppose. That's 19 million, which might put them under enough to extend Howard on it's own. They could be forced to deal him off pretty cheap.

And looking back, **** our lives for dealing of Shard when Gasol might have been available for bottom dollar. Assuming this Howard trade goes through. Which would be a ridiculous assumption given how this Dwight drama has ping ponged around the past two years.

They could also amnesty Metta World Piece I suppose. I doubt he's got trade value.

Honestly though, it's Kobe's contract that is the problem. He's not going to be worth 30 million in 2013-2014. He's the Lakers's past, not it's future. He'd certainly have trade value but you can't trade him. You absolutely can't amnesty him either. They're in a funny position with him.

But honestly, if I'm the GM in LA and it was just about basketball reasons, I'd rather move forward with a Pau + Dwight front court for Nash and not a Kobe + Dwight core. Pau is younger, still has lots of good basketball in front of him most likely, and is 10 million cheaper plus he compliments Dwight and Nash rather than competes with them.