Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

err, not sure if you are serious. Crawford is one of the most inefficient chuckers in the league. He doesn't fit well next to wall, and he would probably destroy any chemistry we get going with the 2nd unit. I'd rather he just not play, and if by trading him I can get rid of Blatche, I'm all over it.

I disagree so much. Crawford was put in a position where he had to do too much last year. But he would be a really effective guy off the bench. We've been saying that since he got here. He provides help at the 1 and the 2, which is also nice. I really think that he had the same problem that Ariza had last year in that the team depended too much on him to spark the offense because there was nobody else. Hopefully the addition of Beal and the return of Martin and the growth of Seraphin and Vesely will mean that Crawford isn't relied on too much to do these things. But I'd be against getting rid of Crawford just to get rid of a guy we could just Amnesty and be done with it. I mean, really, what's the question here.

I honestly wouldn't mind just telling Blatche not to report and paying him the money. Its not like amnestying him will help "that" much in terms of cap space. We could just do him like we did last year.

---------- Post added July-13th-2012 at 08:09 AM ----------

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind seeing some competition come in for Mack's spot on the roster. I can't see why he'd be seen as such an important part of the future.

---------- Post added July-13th-2012 at 08:16 AM ----------

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind seeing some competition come in for Mack's spot on the roster. I can't see why he'd be seen as such an important part of the future.

err, not sure if you are serious. Crawford is one of the most inefficient chuckers in the league. He doesn't fit well next to wall, and he would probably destroy any chemistry we get going with the 2nd unit. I'd rather he just not play, and if by trading him I can get rid of Blatche, I'm all over it.

Crawford actually has palpably good chemistry with the rest of the team, John in particular.

I think it's clear the team enjoys playing with him. He's tough, wild, energetic, and personally likeable. The team respects him. I also think the team needs a creative, alpha scorer, especially to play with the second line. Crawford is cut from a similar cloth as Jamal Crawford. Creative and hyper aggressive with pretty good athleticism. He's got some skills, good handles, a sweet turnaround fade, capable of finding open teammates but really looks to score first. His percentages have been low, partly from shot selection, but also partly because he's the late shot clock shooter. The offense never really found a consistent flow until the very end of the season. As such, there were a lot of times where the team was like, "damn, 8 seconds left and the play has fallen apart, kick it to Crawford and see if he can create something."

Get rid of Crawford and this team entirely loses all ability to create offense outside of John Wall's dribble drives and Nene's mid range shotmaking. Nobody else can consistently get their own shot. That's an untenable situation.

Wall hired Dave Hopla to be his shooting coach for the summer. If you all remember, Hopla was the guy we hired in 07-08 to be the teams shooting coach.

He transformed Brendan Haywood into a 73% FT shooter. Brendan Haywood... :ols:

I'm excited about this.

Has this been posted yet? If not, it'll make you feel pretty excited...

Granted, I am not sure Vesely will be able to get that shot off against NBA quality defense with any regularity, but it looks a lot better than it did last year. Think he just needs a bit more elevation.

Best part of the video is Beal....just wait for it. I'm telling you, this kid is going to be something special.

Dirk Nowitzki in da hauuuussssssssssssss

McGee has a 5yr, 50mil offer on the table from the Nuggets

Actually that's not that bad.

That's about what he deserves IMO. Young, super long, super athletic seven footer with great hands who still has a high defensive upside and solid enough rebounding ability. Durable and clearly getting better each season too.

I was expecting him to be offered more. I think this is a smart deal for Denver. He makes a nice pair with Faried.

That team could use a star SG or SF in the worst way though.

Actually that's not that bad.

That's about what he deserves IMO. Young, super long, super athletic seven footer with great hands who still has a high defensive upside and solid enough rebounding ability. Durable and clearly getting better each season too.

I was expecting him to be offered more. I think this is a smart deal for Denver. He makes a nice pair with Faried.

That team could use a star SG or SF in the worst way though.

He hasn't signed it yet, he could still get a bigger offer from a another team.

I also expected him to get more simply based on the fact that owners and gm's have generally been nucking futs with contracts this offseason.

Watching that vid, Beal is ****ing legit. God that's a pretty stroke. It's the exact opposite of MKG.

He makes it look easy. His mechanics are perfect. I love watching him curl off screens and get his feet set. Dribble pull up is pretty smooth too.

Having him pair with Wall is about as excited as I can ever remember being with the NBA. We couldn't have created a more perfect SG to compliment Wall in a lab.

Also check out him getting into the paint and scoring against Kentucky. He hit them up for 20 in the SEC tournament. Good stuff.

---------- Post added July-13th-2012 at 11:42 AM ----------

Good at finishing at the rim, especially through contact. Has a few hesitation moves that work well for him. Has a pretty little tear drop. Outstanding catching and shooting.

I like that he plays so hard. That's probably my favorite thing about him.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Crawford actually has palpably good chemistry with the rest of the team, John in particular.

I think it's clear the team enjoys playing with him. He's tough, wild, energetic, and personally likeable. The team respects him. I also think the team needs a creative, alpha scorer, especially to play with the second line. Crawford is cut from a similar cloth as Jamal Crawford. Creative and hyper aggressive with pretty good athleticism. He's got some skills, good handles, a sweet turnaround fade, capable of finding open teammates but really looks to score first. His percentages have been low, partly from shot selection, but also partly because he's the late shot clock shooter. The offense never really found a consistent flow until the very end of the season. As such, there were a lot of times where the team was like, "damn, 8 seconds left and the play has fallen apart, kick it to Crawford and see if he can create something."

Get rid of Crawford and this team entirely loses all ability to create offense outside of John Wall's dribble drives and Nene's mid range shotmaking. Nobody else can consistently get their own shot. That's an untenable situation.

Absurd. John played better when he didn't have JC next to him. I can agree that he was put into a bad position in that he was asked to be THE guy but you have to wonder how teammates react when he heaves one up from 28 feet out with 15 seconds left on the clock. As many times he had to take a last second shot, he also shot himself out of rotation. I'd be ok with his ups and downs provided he was at least a streak shooter, but he isn't. He is terribly inefficient. His usage is far too high. People hate Blatche but they defend this guy? Insane.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/crawfjo02.html

The offense is no better with him on the floor then with any other D-leaguer. He shoots 40%...he has no business being in a rotation with that kind of production. Especially for a 2 guard. He has been this way for 2 years now...do we honestly expect the little light bulb in his head will turn on and turn him into a competent guard now? I also have an issue making him the alpha male on the 2nd team. If management is stupid enough to think Okafor should start over Seraphin we should expect a 2nd lineup of something like:

Mack

JC

Singleton

Booker/Jan

Seraphin

Seraphin has proven he can score efficiently against starters. I imagine with another summer under his belt and going against reserves it should only lead to more success for him. I have every belief in the world that Crawford will **** **** up. He is a turnover prone guard as well, I can only imagine how many times Seraphin will get fed up with JC's entry passes.

The point is, if you can get rid of both Blatche and JC while shedding long term cap space, you do it. I'd rather we sign a veteran guard to play along side Mack or get a veteran PG and let Roger Mason spot up for threes. Crawford has to make MASSIVE improvements to be a rotational player, because outside of his FT% there is nothing I can like about his game. Not to say he doesn't try, cause he does, it just just hasn't resulted in production.

Absurd. John played better when he didn't have JC next to him.
What are you basing this on? I don't know what to tell you here because their chemistry is so obvious to me when I watch them. On paper, it doesn't seem like they'd work together. But just watch them for five minutes in a game. Watch their body language and the way they make plays for each other. They're just tight knit. They know each other and know how to play together.

I also think Jordan is very popular in the locker room.

I can agree that he was put into a bad position in that he was asked to be THE guy but you have to wonder how teammates react when he heaves one up from 28 feet out with 15 seconds left on the clock. As many times he had to take a last second shot, he also shot himself out of rotation. I'd be ok with his ups and downs provided he was at least a streak shooter, but he isn't. He is terribly inefficient. His usage is far too high.
Crawford isn't a selfish player. He dishes the ball well. His usage is high because he's also the primary playmaker most of the time he's on the floor, both facilitating and finishing. That's the role he's been asked to play.
People hate Blatche but they defend this guy? Insane.
Completely different players, completely different situations. Crawford doesn't have John and the coaching staff publicly calling him out and isn't getting shut down for most of a season for being out of shape.
The offense is no better with him on the floor then with any other D-leaguer. He shoots 40%...he has no business being in a rotation with that kind of production. Especially for a 2 guard. He has been this way for 2 years now...do we honestly expect the little light bulb in his head will turn on and turn him into a competent guard now? I also have an issue making him the alpha male on the 2nd team. If management is stupid enough to think Okafor should start over Seraphin we should expect a 2nd lineup of something like:

Mack

JC

Singleton

Booker/Jan

Seraphin

Seraphin has proven he can score efficiently against starters. I imagine with another summer under his belt and going against reserves it should only lead to more success for him. I have every belief in the world that Crawford will **** **** up. He is a turnover prone guard as well, I can only imagine how many times Seraphin will get fed up with JC's entry passes.

First off, Okafor will probably win the starting job outright if healthy. Seraphin showed well for himself but he's not a better player than Okafor in offense, defense, or rebounding. Seraphin is actually a weak rebounder, and that alone is probably reason to start Okafor ahead of him since Okafor is a very good rebounder.

Seraphin can not create offense for himself. He's a finisher. He needs space in the lane and someone to get him the ball in his spots so he can get that jump hook off. He's not an offensively diverse enough player to carry the scoring load by himself, even on the second line. He's not skilled enough yet to work his way to the hoop consistently from any spot with technique.

You're completely overlooking Crawford's offensive creativity, which explains why you think he's no better than a d-leaguer. It's almost his entire source of value. And it's an extremely valuable quality. It's what got Dion Waiters drafted 4th overall. Crawford is a highly skilled scorer and he can also run point. Those are not for nothing.

The point is, if you can get rid of both Blatche and JC while shedding long term cap space, you do it. I'd rather we sign a veteran guard to play along side Mack or get a veteran PG and let Roger Mason spot up for threes. Crawford has to make MASSIVE improvements to be a rotational player, because outside of his FT% there is nothing I can like about his game. Not to say he doesn't try, cause he does, it just just hasn't resulted in production.

That's crazy, Crawford has already demonstrated he has the qualities of a valuable rotational player.

Do you think Jamal Crawford is a valuable rotational player? Jordan is cut from the same cloth. Similar numbers, extremely similar skill set, similar build and athleticism, similar ideal role.

The team needs offensive creativity and Crawford brings it. John is the only other highly creative offensive player. Beal is a rookie and was not noted for his handles or slashing/passing ability. None of the forwards can handle the ball. The bigs aren't high volume ISO scorers. Cartier Martin is a pure spot up shooter. Get rid of Crawford and this team has absolutely no creativity when John goes out. I think it'd be a terrible mistake to get rid of him just to get a redundant big or get rid of Blatche. That's what the amnesty clause is for.

Thats our Vesely :ols:

All jokes aside, I've done about 180 on that kid, I think he's really going to turn heads this season.

What's changed your mind? I'm glad other people are really warming up to him now. I too think he's going to impress people, similar to how Seraphin did last year. He's a worker with a high BBall IQ and great length and athleticism. He'll be a good player eventually.

I've always had a soft spot for Vesely and was probably way higher on him than most everyone not named GACOLB last season. I think it's because I knew a little of what to expect from him. Most people were probably expecting him to look like a #6 overall pick but I knew he was raw going in and that draft class was very weak. I knew you just weren't going to find #6 production from anybody that year. So you had to look to the future with Vesely and lower your expectations.

The thing that most people thought Vesely showed well as a rookie was his impressive BBall IQ. I didn't expect him to be such a smart player. He's so long and springy and he's got great hands and coordination plus pretty solid feet. Pair all that with his energy and his IQ and you've got the makings of an impact defensive forward on your hands if he can ever add some strength to his base.

Down the road, I think Vesely ends up as our man for covering those killer stretch 4s that are shredding up nets these days. It's really hard to find a player that can defend those types of opponents without being a mismatch. Fortunately, we've got Vesely and he is really ideal for this.

Offensively, I think Vesely will one day be our best roll man for John to run his pick and roll with because he's such a good finisher. He also gets to the line surprisingly well for such a skinny player.

Vesely will never be able to create his own buckets with any sort of regularity. But he does pass and add to offensive flow and if he could just improve to mediocre as a spot up shooter and free throw shooter, then he could be a useful offensive player.

What's changed your mind? I'm glad other people are really warming up to him now. I too think he's going to impress people, similar to how Seraphin did last year. He's a worker with a high BBall IQ and great length and athleticism. He'll be a good player eventually.

I've always had a soft spot for Vesely and was probably way higher on him than most everyone not named GACOLB last season. I think it's because I knew a little of what to expect from him. Most people were probably expecting him to look like a #6 overall pick but I knew he was raw going in and that draft class was very weak. I knew you just weren't going to find #6 production from anybody that year. So you had to look to the future with Vesely and lower your expectations.

The thing that most people thought Vesely showed well as a rookie was his impressive BBall IQ. I didn't expect him to be such a smart player. He's so long and springy and he's got great hands and coordination plus pretty solid feet. Pair all that with his energy and his IQ and you've got the makings of an impact defensive forward on your hands if he can ever add some strength to his base.

Down the road, I think Vesely ends up as our man for covering those killer stretch 4s that are shredding up nets these days. It's really hard to find a player that can defend those types of opponents without being a mismatch. Fortunately, we've got Vesely and he is really ideal for this.

Offensively, I think Vesely will one day be our best roll man for John to run his pick and roll with because he's such a good finisher. He also gets to the line surprisingly well for such a skinny player.

Vesely will never be able to create his own buckets with any sort of regularity. But he does pass and add to offensive flow and if he could just improve to mediocre as a spot up shooter and free throw shooter, then he could be a useful offensive player.

He already does the little things well, the IQ is there. Judging from different articles, he seems to have the work ethic to get better. If he learns to shoot, add some pounds, he can be a player.

The jumpshot is probably most important, if it gets consistent, we can really big and play him at the 3 for stretches.

Mack is gonna be out of the league in a few years. I hope we bring in a Vet PG this year.

Singleton might be with him.

Edited by StillUnknown