Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Blatche actually has a pretty good basketball IQ. His passing is very good for a big man and you can tell he really understands Flip's system. His problem right now is his lack of conditioning. He's incredibly out of shape by not working out due to his foot injury.

McGee on the other hand has no excuse. I don't understand how someone who grew up in a basketball family can be such a dumb player.

It's going to be hard to listen to lavar & dukes discuss Wall's performance on my drive home this afternoon. They really know nothing about basketball and I turned off their show yesterday when they said KD made an instant impact (in comparison to Wall) when he was drafted. If they did their research they would know that the sonics won somethign like 20 games in KD's rookie year. I have ZERO issue w. Wall being named captian (Lavar & dukes did). I mean, why not? There's nothing but immaturity on the team, and Wall is cut from a different cloth. As he goes, so do the Wizards. You can tell that the other players feed off of him, and he says/does all the right things so far. Wow...what a treat to have him in DC.

Ovechkin: lived up to the hype

Strasburg: lived up to the hype (hopefully will be good when he returns)

Orakpo: absolute STEAL

Wall: sure seems to have lived up to the hype

Orakpo, God bless him, doesn't belong on that list.

It's going to be hard to listen to lavar & dukes discuss Wall's performance on my drive home this afternoon. They really know nothing about basketball and I turned off their show yesterday when they said KD made an instant impact (in comparison to Wall) when he was drafted. If they did their research they would know that the sonics won somethign like 20 games in KD's rookie year. I have ZERO issue w. Wall being named captian (Lavar & dukes did). I mean, why not? There's nothing but immaturity on the team, and Wall is cut from a different cloth. As he goes, so do the Wizards. You can tell that the other players feed off of him, and he says/does all the right things so far. Wow...what a treat to have him in DC.

It's not just Chad and Lavar, though they are certainly the main culprits. Listening to 106.7 last night while driving home from the game, Overtime with Bill Roland came on after Glenn Consor's postgame show. They spent the first 15 minutes ****ing about people being excited about John Wall. Then Chad Dukes called in and ****ed about the crowd. One of the most hyped crowds I've ever been around. The end was insane. You had casual fans who didn't know **** jumping up and down, screaming, high fiving each other. It was beautiful.

106.7 lives on negativity. It's controversy. It drives callers, it drives ratings. And it's disgustingly transparent.

Yeah not really sure why Chad was complaining about the crowd. Was he even at the game? The stadium was packed at around 75% but it was LOUD. Pretty much with five minutes left in the 4th till the end of overtime, everyone was on their feet.

I had a guy from Idaho sitting next to me. He knew nothing about basketball but he was into it and rooting for the Wiz. My girlfriend who could give two ****s about basketball was having a really good time late in the game. Chad Dukes is a boob.

Edited by No Excuses

Yeah not really sure why Chad was complaining about the crowd. Was he even at the game? The stadium was packed at around 75% but it was LOUD. Pretty much with five minutes left in the 4th till the end of overtime, everyone was on their feet.

Him and Lavar were at the Green Turtle before the game during their show. I assume he stayed for the game.

And yeah, we didn't sit down for a good 30 minutes at the end. Martin's 3 pointer to send it into overtime was ridiculous.

I still can't believe they won.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Him and Lavar were at the Green Turtle before the game during their show. I assume he stayed for the game.

And yeah, we didn't sit down for a good 30 minutes at the end. Martin's 3 pointer to send it into overtime was ridiculous.

The only thing I found lame about the game was the constant use of the Dallas star. I know it elicits a lot of hatred but we can do better than using another sports rivalry to get our crowd going.

The only thing I found lame about the game was the constant use of the Dallas star. I know it elicits a lot of hatred but we can do better than using another sports rivalry to get our crowd going.

I could not agree more. That **** was pissing me off all night. I was thinking about writing Ted an email about it. I think it puts the Wiz in second-class status to the Skins. We gotta be our own team with our own rivalries. Personally I'd like to see them throw a picture of Lebron up there.

The 3D intro was lame too.

It was incredible. Absolutely incredible. That 3-pointer... just ridiculous.

I could not agree more. That **** was pissing me off all night. I was thinking about writing Ted an email about it. I think it puts the Wiz in second-class status to the Skins. We gotta be our own team with our own rivalries. Personally I'd like to see them throw a picture of Lebron up there.

The 3D intro was lame too.

Haha I actually wrote an email to Ted this morning about that. It definitely makes us look like a second class team without a tradition of our own. I mean we surely are lacking in that department but I'd rather not use anything than borrow another teams identity.

All's well in Wizard land. Status quo here we come.

I know this is a day or two late but I meant to say something before. Can you please elaborate on this? I'm not understanding what you mean or where you're coming from.

Haha I actually wrote an email to Ted this morning about that. It definitely makes us look like a second class team without a tradition of our own. I mean we surely are lacking in that department but I'd rather not use anything than borrow another teams identity.

I'm gonna write him as soon as I get home from work tonight. What do you think about putting Lebron's ugly mug up there? I realize that ideally we wouldn't have to show anything to get the crowd hyped, but we're not at that point yet. Lebron's been a longtime rival and even moreso now that he's in the same division.

I know they've used other images before (the Duke logo, I think the Pens logo).

Oh, for opposing team intros they have a negative comment. For Elton Brand it was "went to Duke." :ols:

Oh, and Chris Cooley was there (along with, I'm guessing, Christy. Chris=:pimp: )

And just for the hell of it:

Chris-Cooleys-wife-Christy02.jpg

They shouldn't use any logo that doesn't have anything to do with the Wiz. No Cowboys star, no Pens logo, no Duke logo. Wizards/NBA only. The "facts" they did for the opposing players during introductions are funny though. I think they've done that for awhile now. I know I've seen it before.

Cooley and his wife had a fron row seat behind the basket. And Ted was sitting on the floor right next to the scorers table. Down from the Wiz bench a little. I saw him shake his head in disgust when Javale picked up his second foul.

The funniest thing was when they announced that Elliot from Elliot in the Morning was there. There were like two boo's and then complete silence. Nobody gave a ****. And they kept a live shot of him up on the big screen for a good 60 seconds. I know he felt dumb as hell.

As God as my witness, if I ever meet Colin Cowherd I'm going to hit him right in the nose.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/11/colin_cowherd_rants_on_john_wa.html#more

Colin Cowherd rants on John Wall

The thing about people like Colin Cowherd is this: they say dumb stuff so that gullible people will write down the dumb stuff they say, and then other people will react with possibly misspelled outrage, and then they'll get to see their name on web logs, chuckling with sinister satisfaction in their secret lairs. The only real antidote is to ignore them.

Usually I'm fairly good at this. I mean, I try. However, a reader advised me to listen to Cowherd's thoughts on John Wall's home opener, and I stupidly complied. And now Cowherd has lured me into typing up his thoughts, and within moments he'll be chuckling with sinister satisfaction in his secret lair.

So please, please forgive me.

Before I get started, four facts.

1) Amid a crush of media and fan requests, John Wall has mostly refrained from dancing since his arrival in Washington, certainly in any non-media setting. However, before Tuesday night's game, assistant coach Sam Cassell -- a man who owns three NBA championship rings -- urged Wall to do a dance for the home crowd, which he did. Enthusiastically.

2) In his first three NBA games, Rajon Rondo had 9 assists and 5 turnovers, for a ratio of 1.8-1. Through his first three NBA games, John Wall has 31 assists and 14 turnovers, for a ratio of 2.2-1.

3) After the game, Comcast SportsNet's Chris Miller grabbed Wall for a post-game interview and gushed like this: "One steal shy of a triple-double, what a night to open up this building young fella, welcome to the NBA!"

"Yeah, it was great, man, the one thing I want to really work on, though -- great win for the team -- but turnovers," Wall lamented. "I came back in and had nine or eight. That's too many turnovers for this team."

That was the very first thing he said after the game.

4) This is a video of Magic Johnson doing the John Wall Dance.

Ok, cover your eyes. Here's Colin.

"Much like I called out Greg Oden, I'm gonna call out John Wall....Before the game started, he spent 34 seconds doing the Dougie. That tells me all I need to know about J-Wow. Then he opened his mouth later and confirmed it: not a sharp guy. All about him. In that line last night, that 29-point line, when he was out of control, he had 8 turnovers. By the way, Rajon Rondo had 17 assists last night, 0 turnovers. Rajon's got rings, Wall will never have one.

"Folks, when you rob a bank, it's not just the act of it, it's that you sat down for weeks and planned it. That tells me you're an idiot. The act is just the final icing on the cake. The cake is you sat down for weeks and planned it. I always give people credit just for getting a job. If you interview with 300 people and get the job, you beat 300 people out for a job, you've got to have some skill-set.

"Oh, I'm gonna get a lot of callers -- Colin, he's just having fun. What he did last night, Rondo never would, Isiah never would, J. Kidd never would, Stockton never would, Nash never would, Magic never would. Point guard is like the quarterback. it's an IQ-judgment position. The great ones are not about themselves. They're about the others. Leadership is IQ, it's not skills.

"J Wow's 37-second Yo dawg look at me I'm the man [dance], and his wild, out-of-control style, everybody else is buying his stock, and it told me all I need to know. He's gonna end up on the Iverson, Francis, Starbury [side]: great stats, nine All-Star teams, never play with good smart players and an elite head coach. He's gonna drive people nuts.

"It's not robbing the bank, it's that you planned it. It's not just doing the Doggie (sic) for 35 seconds, it's that you really thought before the game, this is gonna be super cool and people will like me. The wrong people. You all, go read the John Wall box score. Everybody's fascinated. ESPN SportsCenter will probably do like 9 minutes on it. I'll take the Rondo box score: 3 boards, 9 points, 17 assists, 4 steals, no turnovers....

"You could see it before the game started. Magic would never consider doing that. It's just who he is. And you think he's gonna change now that they gave him $75 million? Oh yeah, I'm sure he's gonna life change now. It's not robbing the bank, partner; it's that you planned it. It's not just the act, it's that you thought about it and thought it was a great idea....

"My daughter's 10. Ten years old. She knows the difference between right and wrong. My daughter knows what Randy Moss did is wrong. She's 10. The haves get it early, the have-nots never do. Look at me, I'm great, I'm unbelievable.

"You go look, we have a Hall of Fame point guard right now, his name is Rondo. Go look at his numbers....The best distributor in the league, and all we'll pay attention to is John Wall. Rondo is your superstar point guard, but we will spend hours on John Wall. I'd take Rondo in a heartbeat....When I see Wall dropping 29, you know what Wall's thinking tonight? Man, that dance was good, I might get 39 tonight. Great. Nine (sic) turnovers and 29 points. Welcome to the back of the class, get behind the Celtics, the Lakers and the Heat.

When I hear people going off on **** like this, not just criticizing it but really going off on it and blowing it way out of proportion, I can't help but to think to myself that they're just not white enough for them. Wall isn't white enough for Cowherd. He isn't "proper" like Cowherd likes them.

Yeah I just took it there. And ftr, I'm a white guy.