Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I find it funny that so many people believe that we could have traded for him cut and dry. I know for a fact this isn't true. The "Harden deal" wasn't as cut as dry as it was reported in the media and it wasn't the sure thing many of you extremeskiners seem to think.

We'll be just fine with Beal (who is ballin' as of late) and he has a rookie deal for the next four years, which is good for building this team.

I never got mad about it. Partly because I don't like Harden as much as most people do, although I like him more than I used to. He's on my fantasy team. Other part because I've always really liked Beal.

Beal is our guy. He's going to be really good for us. I'm not worried about what might have been with another player because I'm satisfied with the one we've got.

---------- Post added February-11th-2013 at 10:05 PM ----------

Nene has been awesome tonight. Dalembert is out, although I don't know that's necessarily good. He was a liability on defense trying to guard Nene with five fouls.

[/color]Nene has been awesome tonight. Dalembert is out, although I don't know that's necessarily good. He was a liability on defense trying to guard Nene with five fouls.

Nene has been Awesome the past couple weeks...he has an all around game. He's the best defender on this team; he scores; rebounding better lately; and he is probably the best big man passer in the game. I love this guy.

good list...here is mine...

1) Shabazz

2) McLemore

3) Noel

4) Bennett

5) Zeller

6) Porter

7) McCollum

8) Plumlee

9) Austin

10) Carter-Williams

11) McAdoo

12) Pythress

13) Cauley-Stein

14) Len

I'd really like another scorer....whether it is a wing or a big. realistically (based on how we are playing and where we will likely draft) I really like Plumlee and McAdoo.....two guys I can see the Spurs drafting if they had the opportunity.

I'm a big fan of McAdoo too. Not a lot of people like him because he's not really elite at any one thing. But my counter to that is he's pretty good at almost everything so he can be a jack of all trades. I like that he can face up and drive from the forward spot, I like his turnaround fade away. I like how well he rebounds and I like how he boxes out so consistently. He's a versatile player and I think you're right, the Spurs would love to draft him.

I like Porter too. If we don't get a really high pick and get to draft one of the very top guys, I'm hoping we come away with a good forward like Porter or McAdoo. I think both have the versatility to play up at some 4 in the NBA. Particularly as they age and gain strength.

Jordan Crawford is now occupying Singleton's former role as Vesely's bench mate.

he needs to.....hopefully he will take notice how this team is winning. Crawford is definitely talented...if he plays within the team he can be a valuable asset (especially as a back up PG....which I think is the role he plays best) but we can't have any shot jackers coming in and ruining the chemistry we've built.

Wall might have turned the ball over too much, but overall I think he played pretty well. Beal was lights out and Nene had the best game out of everyone.

---------- Post added February-11th-2013 at 11:15 PM ----------

McLemore dropped 30 tonight and added 7 rebounds. If he finishes the season strong and has a good tournament, it would seem hard to picture him not being the #1 overall pick in the draft.

One of the things that's really stood out to me this year is how much better of a finisher he is now than he was his first two years. His ball-handling looks better. He's really got command of all these moves--eurostep and drop steps and behind the back dribbles and high cross over now. And his shooting touch at the rim has gotten crazy. He's making so many of those shots. He's truly deadly in transition. He's attacking the rim on the break without numbers and scoring against 1 on 2s and 3s like it's the easiest and most natural thing in the world for him. He just bullies and bamboozles his way to the rim. He's really starting to remind me of DWade.

OMG yes. That killed me about Wall more than his shooting, more than anything. I kept thinking, how the **** is he going to be a star if he can't finish around the rim? What good is all his speed if he can't make a layup and capitalize on it? I've definitely noticed improvement there. A ton of improvement. Thank God.

I think a big reason for that is hitting the gym and getting stronger. Now he can't force his way through contact and get his shot up and in.

Sucks that Wall and Nene were out early, otherwise we're probably going to the playoffs.

I feel that same way. It sucks to always think "next year will be our year".

---------- Post added February-12th-2013 at 07:40 AM ----------

Jordan Crawford is now occupying Singleton's former role as Vesely's bench mate.

I honestly think he works well within the flow of the offense. I really wish we could trade some of the players on this team because you don't get much experience at the bottom of the rotation getting no play. We could be in the market to upgrade our talent level now that we've emerged with a consistent 6/7 man rotation.

Edited by Thinking Skins

I feel that same way. It sucks to always think "next year will be our year".

---------- Post added February-12th-2013 at 07:40 AM ----------

I honestly think he works well within the flow of the offense. I really wish we could trade some of the players on this team because you don't get much experience at the bottom of the rotation getting no play. We could be in the market to upgrade our talent level now that we've emerged with a consistent 6/7 man rotation.

The question is what sucker team out there would give up valuable assets for the trash that Crawford and Booker are. I am saying this politely but I have never been a Crawford fan. Booker was always a one trick pony...

Porter looks a bit like, move a bit like Tayshaun Prince.

I think there is a lot of similarity there. Though I think Prince is a better athlete. He used to be able to play above the rim and I think Porter is pretty grounded.

---------- Post added February-12th-2013 at 09:00 AM ----------

OMG yes. That killed me about Wall more than his shooting, more than anything. I kept thinking, how the **** is he going to be a star if he can't finish around the rim? What good is all his speed if he can't make a layup and capitalize on it? I've definitely noticed improvement there. A ton of improvement. Thank God.

I think a big reason for that is hitting the gym and getting stronger. Now he can't force his way through contact and get his shot up and in.

Yeah he's a big PG now. That's really what makes him so dangerous. Ridiculous speed + strength. He attacks multiple defenders off the dribble. I remember a sports science bit from around the time he was drafted that broke down his speed with the ball and Brenkus determined Wall was faster with the ball in his hands than CP3 and DWill were just sprinting flat out.

I know at one point (I think last season) he said he wanted to study Tony Parker and learn to play PG like him. I think he's learning how to finish like Tony P. Probably stealing his moves.

I know I'm not the only one who now EXPECTS the Wizards to win each night that they play, am I?

The objective of the point guard is the facilitate the offense and make everyone better. Well, the Wizards have improved offensively since his return and most importantly, they are ranked #1 in defense since he came back. It's a small sample size (17 games or so), but it speaks volumes as to the impact Wall has had on the Wizards. THAT is what you want out of your point guard. If that doesn't merit any consideration for him being top-10 in the NBA (when healthy), then I don't know what to tell you.

I couldn't be happier with his development and yes...he IS a franchise player. We're seeing his impact on the team right before our eyes. I hope some of the idiots in the DC media notice this as well.

Sucks that Wall and Nene were out early, otherwise we're probably going to the playoffs.

Yeah. This team today is better than a lot of playoff teams. Especially when we play at home. For all of us who thought we could be an 8 seed this year, this is the team we thought we were getting in the offseason.

At least they're playing well now. It gives me something to be proud about and hope for the future. I'll always cheer for them during the bad times. Now my heart is in it.

One silver lining is that our awful start means a team that is actually pretty decent is probably going to get a high draft pick they don't really deserve. If we use the thing well and get a good player out of it, we could really strengthen the team long term. Nene and Okafor are 30, they aren't going to be around for more than just the beginning of the Wall & Beal era. Hopefully we can get a third guy to be part of a big 3 down the road. I would love to get Noel or Zeller. Failing that, I'd love to get Porter or McAdoo or Bennett. A big man or some sort of forward that can score.

I know I'm not the only one who now EXPECTS the Wizards to win each night that they play, am I?

The objective of the point guard is the facilitate the offense and make everyone better. Well, the Wizards have improved offensively since his return and most importantly, they are ranked #1 in defense since he came back. It's a small sample size (17 games or so), but it speaks volumes as to the impact Wall has had on the Wizards. THAT is what you want out of your point guard. If that doesn't merit any consideration for him being top-10 in the NBA (when healthy), then I don't know what to tell you.

I couldn't be happier with his development and yes...he IS a franchise player. We're seeing his impact on the team right before our eyes. I hope some of the idiots in the DC media notice this as well.

I expect us to win every night. This team has great chemistry and plays the best defense I've ever seen from a Wizards/Bullets team. We lack a true #1 scoring option, but have gotten it done the past four games.

I think Wall is a franchise player and I also see improvement in his game, but he still isn't a top 10 point guard in the league....below are the top 10 in no specific order:

Chris Paul

Deron Williams

Derick Rose

Kyrie Irving

Jrue Holidy

Ty Lawson

Russell Westbrook

Tony Parker

Stephen Curry

Damion Lillard

by the end of the year....I expect Wall to pass Lillard, but as of right now (this season) Lillard has been better. The other guys are no brainers. I do expect Wall to pass Holiday, Lawson, and Curry next year. Maybe even Rose (if he doesn't rebound from the injury).

I don't necessarily expect to win but I expect to compete at the very least. I'm certainly not surprised by wins. I think we can match up with almost anyone in the league at home. And I think we can beat solid teams like Milwaukee on the road. We've actually got a lot of depth compared to many teams. Who'd have thought? Our big man combo is better than a lot of teams and our back court is going to be one of the best in the league one day. They can play at an elite level on any given night. We've got two nice role playing SFs in Ariza and Martell. Not everyone can say that. We've got a nice young scoring big man in development in Seraphin. We got a nice grab in Temple and Price, bargain barrel players who seem to be panning out.

But most of all, the team has come together and become greater than the sum of its parts. That's the best part. And I think that is a direct result of bringing in so many high character guys with great IQ and attitudes like Beal and Martell and Nene and Okafor. They "get it" and fit themselves into the grand scheme of the team.

Yeah I agree Wall is a franchise player. He's not as quick to develop as Derrick Rose (although it bears mentioning Rose got drafted onto basically a playoff team). But I think he will eventually have a similar impact on the franchise. His leadership and passion and playmaking ability just lifts a weight off everyone's shoulders and elevates the team.

I don't think he's even a top 20 player in the NBA right now though. Not yet. Eventually. He's still got areas of his game to grow into. His consistency on defense is one. He needs to get to a point where he can bring it every night. Second his shooting from the mid range area needs to become consistent for his offensive game to become complete. Third his game management needs to continue being honed and his turnovers consistently minimized.

He's making strides though. Getting progressively better, and he's only 22. The team is getting better around him too. Beal was such a good get. Wall is a transcendent talent too, his ceiling is massive once he gets it all figured out. He'll be such a two way weapon. His passing ability paired with his driving ability will basically make him un-guardable once he can shoot from range. It's the way LeBron is now.

I believe Wall is going to be a top 10 player by the time he's 25 or 26 and I think he and Beal both can go on to multiple All Star games. I think he's going to be markedly better than Kyrie Irving and Steph Curry too. I think those two are always going to suck at defense. Hopefully Wall will even be a little better than Westbrook since he's a lot better passer, but Westbrook is a really good scorer and two way player playing for a great team where he doesn't have to be the man.

I kind of see our defensive rise as being similar to the way the Bulls were built around Derrick Rose. Oak has come out of his shell and been an anchor in the middle like Noah is for Chicago. He's not as good as Noah, but he does have a solid mid range shot that Noah doesn't have. Nene is kind of a mix between the roles Noah and Boozer play. He can facilitate the offense from the post like Noah but also score efficiently from many different parts of the court like Boozer. He's probably a little bit better than Boozer is all told. We don't truly have a Luol Deng, but between Ariza and Martell, you kind of get his production by committee. Ariza is a good stopper like Deng and Martell can shoot the three ball like him. Truth be told, Beal is probably almost as good as Rip Hamilton right now, and he's going to get a lot better than him. Wall is not Derrick Rose, but he's probably the only player in the league that you can say could approach Rose's level eventually.

The Bulls have proven that a team that plays great defense and is very unselfish on offense where everyone looks to facilitate each other CAN be hugely successful even if it isn't loaded up with Superstars. One star PG can make it go. And who knows? Maybe Beal ends up being better than Noah and Deng and John gets a better second star to play with than Rose will ever get.

I think you can make legit arguments for many guys on your list...but I wouldn't have Wall behind Lillard or Ty Lawson. Wall has made this team competitive and not just good defensively...but ELITE. IMO, he's a top-10 PG right now...and next year (if healthy), he SHOULD be in the top-5.

to me the biggest improvement in walls game is his control and his tempo. last year he was 100 MPH all the time. now he dictates the pace of the game. He picks his spots and uses the change of tempo to his advantage. This is why he is finishing at the hoop. he is staying under control and getting to spots not by his speed but his ability to start and stop.

he definitley needs to improve his J and limit his turnovers but the fact that he still can have a huge impact on the game despite his short comings is extremely promising. Look at the list of 10 PG's above that are perceived to be better then wall right now, and ask yourself how many of them can get much better at what they do compared to wall.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Wall is cut from the same cloth as Jason Kidd. Consumate floor general that is elite in transition but will never be a big time scorer in the half court. That said if he's avg almost 15ppg w/o a jumper what will happend when he does develop one?