Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

brandon rush got 2 year 4 mil a year, with similar shooting numbers and efficiency. At that price, it seems like a steal for us. I'd look to offload Ariza if we could and give him a 3 year deal at 4-4.5 mil a year with a player option being the final year.

Oh and Melo's standing reach is 8'9.5 while LBJ's is 8'10. Shabazz's is 8'8. It'd be a problem against LBJ, but I think Shabazz has better hops then Melo. So again, he isn't at a terrible disadvantage for the 3 spot. LBJ and Melo are the only SFs in the league that are strong enough to check each other anyways.

btw, carmelo anthony has a 33.5 inch MAX VERT....that is awful. I had no clue he was THAT fat.

you have to remember....there is a new Cap and CBA...salaries are going to go down. I'm not paying a guy 4.5 million just to shoot 3 pointers. I like Webster a lot, but he is only exceptional at shooting 3s....average at best in every other category.

I would be stunned if Utah traded any of their youth. I think Jefferson and Millsap are both FAs after this season and they are going to have massive cap space to go along with moving Favors and Kanter into the starting roles. Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely we land any player in Free Agency worth much given the Wizards are maxed out next year.

I doubt the Jazz are going to let both of their best players walk for nothing.

They've got four bigs that are high end starting caliber players. Eventually they are going to have to move one of those bigs to turn him into a good perimeter player so they can balance out their roster. Jefferson and Millsap being expiring deals gives them so little trade value. Utah is better off keeping at least one for themselves and trading one of the rookie deals because those guys are valuable. What else are they going to spend their cap money on? Millsap and Jefferson are two of the best FAs on the market.

If we drafted Ben McLemore, I would offer him for Favors straight up. Maybe the same for Shabazz. And if I'm Utah, I probably take that deal and then extend Millsap and Jefferson. That team would be dangerous. Better than Memphis and probably just a little behind OKC and the Clippers. Just need a reliable PG.

I wouldn't make that deal for Kanter though. Kanter has less value than either Shabazz or McLemore IMO.

you have to remember....there is a new Cap and CBA...salaries are going to go down. I'm not paying a guy 4.5 million just to shoot 3 pointers. I like Webster a lot, but he is only exceptional at shooting 3s....average at best in every other category.

4-4.5 mil a year for a player who is average in most categories while being elite in 3 pt shooting seems pretty fair to me. He doesn't make stupid plays all too often. He's a stopgap, or an elite shooter off the bench. I mean he's better value at that sort of contract than the likes of Jeff Green.

4-4.5 mil a year for a player who is average in most categories while being elite in 3 pt shooting seems pretty fair to me. He doesn't make stupid plays all too often. He's a stopgap, or an elite shooter off the bench. I mean he's better value at that sort of contract than the likes of Jeff Green.

I think you are thinking in terms of the old CBA...like I said, the new CBA is reducing salaries.....smart mid market teams have no business offering 4.5 million a year to a guy who just shoots threes.

I think you are thinking in terms of the old CBA...like I said, the new CBA is reducing salaries.....smart mid market teams have no business offering 4.5 million a year to a guy who just shoots threes.

I agree. Look for the next guy like Martell who you can get for 1 or 2 million on a short term deal.

---------- Post added February-8th-2013 at 01:31 PM ----------

I like Jeff Green. He's better than Martell IMO. He can score inside and outside and play some 4.

Jeff Green is arguably one of the more asinine contracts in the NBA. In no way, shape or form, does he deserve the money he gets for his production and efficiency, not to mention his rather stupid concept of team defense. I am enthralled we didn't pay him and have not yet inquired about him.

As to Martell, I think some of you are missing how much more efficient he makes Wall. It is far easier to run an offense when you have THAT level of a shooter on your team. He isn't a bad defender, about average, he rebounds at 5 per 36, which isn't awful and better assist to TO ratio. I mean I would lowball him initially, like at 3 mil per year, and then see what bargaining got me, in no way do I think we should overpay him, but we shouldn't just expect to find two way 40% 3 point shooters easily.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenje02.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/webstma02.html

look at this season's per 36 for both players. Its laughable to think he gets that sort of money.

I love Martell....I just don't think his skillset warrants more than 10 million over 3 years. Being a mid market team that is right at the cap, we need to be very careful where we spend out money and how we spend it. Right now rebounding is the biggest need on this team...we need to use part or all of the midlevel exception and or the draft to fix this issue.

That P Diddy song with Biggie and Busta Rhymes they were playing at the end of the first quarter is on 2K13.

---------- Post added February-8th-2013 at 07:47 PM ----------

That John Wall kid is pretty fast.

---------- Post added February-8th-2013 at 07:48 PM ----------

Digging this line up. I like seeing Singleton get in there.

---------- Post added February-8th-2013 at 07:49 PM ----------

Gotta get the lid off the rim.

Our team defense is a real strength.

I wonder how much of that is Don Newman's influence.

---------- Post added February-8th-2013 at 08:03 PM ----------

This is fun, we rolling tonight.

Team defense has been exceptional in the 2nd quarter. Still missing some good looks on offense, but the defense is covering our tracks.

It would be a mistake to let Webster leave. He's young, he's scoring, we need that. I focus should be on center and power forward, not creating another hole in hopes of filling it with a better piece. This is the draft we're talking about, we have been wrong for years...

It would be a mistake to let Webster leave. He's young, he's scoring, we need that. I focus should be on center and power forward, not creating another hole in hopes of filling it with a better piece. This is the draft we're talking about, we have been wrong for years...

I think we'll do all we can to keep him, and he's mentioned how much he likes playing here so that may give us an edge. That said, if some dumb GM offers him crazy dollars, and there are quite a few dumb GM's, we may not be able to afford him.

Edited by StillUnknown

Drafting and free agency have to be disconnected, imo. Drafting should be purely BPA with the idea that no rookie can start until he can out play the veteran. The free agency side should be looking to field the best team without worrying about what rookie might be able to start. The team can't keep 4 guys and one learning on the job strategy going. Beal has been good but he's been crap at times as well because he's young, there is no getting around a learning curve... I'd rather have that kind of up and down experience from the guy NOT getting the most minutes at the spot going forward. Especially with big men that take so long to develop.

The team is good right now. If they keep the entire starting lineup for next season, I could understand the logic. The player I think they can most afford to move, and should, is Ariza. Okafor is suddenly an important piece and replacing double digit rebounding isn't as easy as it sounds. Vesely should be in the D league. Booker is a non factor, let him walk for all I care.

Edited by Destino