Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Drafting and free agency have to be disconnected, imo. Drafting should be purely BPA with the idea that no rookie can start until he can out play the veteran. The free agency side should be looking to field the best team without worrying about what rookie might be able to start. The team can't keep 4 guys and one learning on the job strategy going. Beal has been good but he's been crap at times as well because he's young, there is no getting around a learning curve... I'd rather have that kind of up and down experience from the guy NOT getting the most minutes at the spot going forward. Especially with big men that take so long to develop.

The team is good right now. If they keep the entire starting lineup for next season, I could understand the logic. The player I think they can most afford to move, and should, is Ariza. Okafor is suddenly an important piece and replacing double digit rebounding isn't as easy as it sounds. Vesely should be in the D league. Booker is a non factor, let him walk for all I care.

I agree. This is the approach NFL teams take--every NFL team goes into their offseason planning on making the playoffs.

In the NBA, I think you can go with rookies and forego FA at the beginning of a rebuild when they know they aren't making the postseason (and that they are actually better off getting a few consecutive high draft picks).

But we should be at the end of our rebuild now. We've gotten our high draft picks in place and they're developing. This year should be the final one. Now we need to be going for the playoffs. We need to be able to put a starting five out there with experience and we need a few key reserves that already have their roles figured out.

BUT, you also have to be smart in the way you approach FA and the Draft. You need to build a team and not just thoughtlessly collect talent. You don't go out and spend a bunch of FA dollars or a long term contract for a SF in FA and then draft a SF with a top lottery pick. You're wasting someone. And since you really need to be going BPA with really high lotto picks, I'd hold off on making ANY big FA acquisitions this summer. Not that we can afford to make any though.

Personally, I'd like to keep this basic core together for one more year to see what they can do together:

- Wall

- Beal

- Ariza

- Martell

- Nene

- Okafor

- Singleton

- Temple

And hopefully spend the draft pick on Zeller or Noel.

Not sure how I feel about Price as the backup PG. I like him but I think we could find an upgrade.

I would like for us to be able to deal Seraphin and Crawford for something good but we're not in a position to deal either of them right now. Ves and Booker I'm ambivalent about. I think they are easy contracts to stash and don't see a need to try and move them. But neither can shoot and I'm wanting us to get a true stretch 4. That's why I'm high on Singleton right now.

It wouldn't be a game without a foul on Ves

He gets a pass tonight :ols:

I'm glad Blatche is gone, but I don't hate him. If I were there, I don't think I would boo him or cheer when he missed shots. Not too loud anyway.

**** him

I can deal with players who suck, but work hard. Blatche was talented and just a lazy piece of ****. If I were there, I would be chanting with the rest of the crowd "Blatche You Suck"

Edited by StillUnknown

Wall is shooting too much... and I love it. This season is lost and I like that he's determined to be a better shooter. He's not taking too many terrible shots, he's just missing them, and I can live with that.

I agree. I want him to get into the habit of aggressively pulling up off the dribble and shooting that mid range shot. I want it to become second nature for him. Eventually he will get better at it and it will become a part of his arsenal.

People who get too frustrated with Wall's shooting need to keep in mind that Wall is 22 and in his third year. We've got a decade of him in front of us. Where he is when he's 26-27 and beyond is going to be so different from where he is today. If he develops good offensive habits and shooting habits now eventually he'll be a more complete player.

One of the things that's really stood out to me this year is how much better of a finisher he is now than he was his first two years. His ball-handling looks better. He's really got command of all these moves--eurostep and drop steps and behind the back dribbles and high cross over now. And his shooting touch at the rim has gotten crazy. He's making so many of those shots. He's truly deadly in transition. He's attacking the rim on the break without numbers and scoring against 1 on 2s and 3s like it's the easiest and most natural thing in the world for him. He just bullies and bamboozles his way to the rim. He's really starting to remind me of DWade.

Drafting and free agency have to be disconnected, imo. Drafting should be purely BPA with the idea that no rookie can start until he can out play the veteran. The free agency side should be looking to field the best team without worrying about what rookie might be able to start. The team can't keep 4 guys and one learning on the job strategy going. Beal has been good but he's been crap at times as well because he's young, there is no getting around a learning curve... I'd rather have that kind of up and down experience from the guy NOT getting the most minutes at the spot going forward. Especially with big men that take so long to develop.

The team is good right now. If they keep the entire starting lineup for next season, I could understand the logic. The player I think they can most afford to move, and should, is Ariza. Okafor is suddenly an important piece and replacing double digit rebounding isn't as easy as it sounds. Vesely should be in the D league. Booker is a non factor, let him walk for all I care.

I understand your post, not so much in reference to mine. I was addressing the topic of letting Webster walk then turn around and drafting a SF with our top pick. I understand the risk of other teams possibly bidding for his services, but unless someone offers him something crazy like a max contract, we should do what we need to keep him here.

I agree this is at least a .500 basketball team, and would be right now if it wasn't for that historically horrible start to the season due to injuries. I wouldn't mind not going after any free agents and just adding via the draft. We have some big contracts already, so unless we do some serious wheeling and dealing, I want our main offseason target to be Webster.