Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I mean, I guess I should be happy we got the win. Just a bit concerning how we never put them away. Overall not a terrible game from an execution standpoint, but Beal is sorely missed. I'd rather see Vesely getting Seraphin's minutes until he learns some self awareness. The best thing to come out of this was no Jordan Crawford in the 2nd half.

Watching the Jazz and Kings play in Utah. So many good young big men in this game. Derrick Favors has been brought along so slowly but it looks like the Jazz have done a great job developing him. Once he gets a full time role, he's going to be a really good big man. Versatile offensive skills with great defensive potential. Kanter even looks pretty solid in spot duty. Very skilled and more athletic than you'd think. Millsap is good. Big Al is good. On Sacramento you've got a lot less mature talent and the guards are super raw and have some trouble working the ball inside. But Cousins and TRob is a potentially dominant front court and Jason Thompson is pretty skilled.

Utah has a tough decision to make with bringing Jefferson and Millsap back. You've got to let one of them go IMO. Kanter and Favors are the future. They've got a ton of size and power up front, four different PF/Cs that could each be 20+ PER starters.

I would love to acquire one of the young bigs from this game.

I mean, I guess I should be happy we got the win. Just a bit concerning how we never put them away. Overall not a terrible game from an execution standpoint, but Beal is sorely missed. I'd rather see Vesely getting Seraphin's minutes until he learns some self awareness. The best thing to come out of this was no Jordan Crawford in the 2nd half.

I wonder how Grunfeld feels seeing the guy he zeroed in on months before the draft continually collecting DNP's. They can't use the "he'll be fine once Wall comes back" line anymore.

Seraphin's bball IQ is just so disappointing. Missing that steal as the ball rolled down the court beside him was pretty bad and it led to Clippers points that kept the game close.

I think we need to pick two of Crawford, Seraphin, Singleton, Vesely, and Booker and then move the other three. We're wasting them trying to develop all five at once.

If you could combine Vesely BB IQ and seraphin's body, you'd have a helluva young player. I'm glad singleton is out of the dog house, we have a lot of young players that get inconsistent minutes...I'd probably try to package Booker+JC for the best player we can get. Vesely, for all his faults at least doesn't pro-actively **** **** up out there, he's just a liability at times. I also think regular minutes for him would still allow us to groom some value out of him.

Vesely would be easier to develop if we had a big time scoring SF. Ves can't shoot and basically his only offensive value comes from running the floor in transition, setting picks, passing from the top of the key, and running cuts. Maybe some put backs on occasion. When he's on the floor, it's probably the case that we get no offense from our forwards. Martell and Ariza are marginal offensive players IMO. Not bad but not good enough to pick up the slack.

For Ves to get the kind of minutes he needs to develop, he'd have to bring some sort of special value outside of offense to the table. Defensively I suppose. But he's never going to get to be a good defender without playing a good amount of minutes. I don't see it being something you can learn without playing--and playing with a consistent group of guys around you.

I don't think we're going to be able to develop him. He's a project and we've already got 4 or 5 other projects. You would have to make a really concerted effort to develop him, give him a clear role, give him a set amount of minutes every night, give him a solid lineup he can join where he can build defensive chemistry with them. We're not going to do any of that.

I've seen Derrick Favors a couple of times this year and I've got to say, I'm impressed with the patient way the Jazz developed him. The resulting product looks really good. I think it would take an organization like that to actually develop Vesely. And Ves doesn't have the upside Favors does, so the incentive to take such care with him isn't there like it was for Favors.

Vesely would be easier to develop if we had a big time scoring SF. Ves can't shoot and basically his only offensive value comes from running the floor in transition, setting picks, passing from the top of the key, and running cuts. Maybe some put backs on occasion. When he's on the floor, it's probably the case that we get no offense from our forwards. Martell and Ariza are marginal offensive players IMO. Not bad but not good enough to pick up the slack.

For Ves to get the kind of minutes he needs to develop, he'd have to bring some sort of special value outside of offense to the table. Defensively I suppose. But he's never going to get to be a good defender without playing a good amount of minutes. I don't see it being something you can learn without playing--and playing with a consistent group of guys around you.

I don't think we're going to be able to develop him. He's a project and we've already got 4 or 5 other projects. You would have to make a really concerted effort to develop him, give him a clear role, give him a set amount of minutes every night, give him a solid lineup he can join where he can build defensive chemistry with them. We're not going to do any of that.

I've seen Derrick Favors a couple of times this year and I've got to say, I'm impressed with the patient way the Jazz developed him. The resulting product looks really good. I think it would take an organization like that to actually develop Vesely. And Ves doesn't have the upside Favors does, so the incentive to take such care with him isn't there like it was for Favors.

I don't see why the Wiz don't send him to the D-League to get playing time. Even though I view him as a bust, they might as well get him game time somewhere to maybe create some kind of trade value.

I don't see why the Wiz don't send him to the D-League to get playing time. Even though I view him as a bust, they might as well get him game time somewhere to maybe create some kind of trade value.

Seraphin had a clause in his contract that prevented him from going to the D-League, maybe Vesley has similar language in his deal.

Not sure why a team would give a rookie that kind of deal, especially if they know the player is raw.

Bledsoe has pretty much the same stats as Wall tonight, and also his team lost the game. He's not elite right now, but that's fine because he's 22 and has the tenacity to get better. Upset that Beal didn't play again, but how in the world do we let one guy grab 22 rebounds? Win or not, that another scoring threat need to be addressed on this team.

Solid win, wish I got to see it...

There is a big difference between scoring 17 points on 7-14 shooting (Bledsoe) and 13 points on 6-18 (Wall). Wall had 2 less turnovers though so he didnt get completely outplayed. Wall's is usually more efficient than he's been the last two games but he's still a long way from being a quality scoring threat.

He is an assist machine though. If the Wizards got two stars and Wall was the top 2nd level guy (like Ibaka on the thunder, or Rondo on the celtics) he'd be a damn good asset to have.

The Clippers without Paul and Griffin are basically the Wizards.

They're better than us even without Paul and Griffin and could beat us in a series. Their roster runs 9 or 10 deep with good players. They've got four or five other guys that would be our second or third best player. Caron, Crawford, Bledsoe, Jordan, Billups, and Hill would be some of our best players after Wall pretty much. They're probably the deepest team in the league.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I think we need to pick two of Crawford, Seraphin, Singleton, Vesely, and Booker and then move the other three. We're wasting them trying to develop all five at once.

Agreed,

Crawford and Booker are who they are and I don't think will not get any better, both are decent and deserving too be on a nba roster.

Vesley, Seraphin and Singleton pick 1 and try too develop him or just move the hell on totally, Seraphin chucks more than crawford he reminds me of Nick Young at the PF position. Theres no shot he will not take last night he took at least 2 shots a few steps from the 3 point line made one but still, His hook shots can look terrible at times, he doesn't pick up any fouls and on the defensive end he doesn't give his all. Reminds me of a bad big baby davis which out the skills and hustle. I don't think you keep Crawford and Seraphin. Just think last year we had Crawford, Nick Young and Seraphin :ols: all 3 haven't seen a shot they didn't like, then top that off with my boy Blatche and well what a terrible team. Crawford brings a few other things too the table he can facilitate well at times, I like him coming off the bench as instant offense.

Singleton and Vesley belongs in the D league they are either terrible or simply no where near ready. Singleton can maybe develope into a decent defensive player and a spot up 3 point shooter, Vesley I am not sure what his potential is, I am not a fan either one.

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

Orlando Magic win the first overall pick in the draft, select Nerlens Noel.

Bobcats get the second pick, select Shabazz Muhammad

Cleveland gets the third pick, select Cody Zeller

New Orleans gets the fourth pick, select Ben McLemore

Washington Wizards get the fifrth pick, screwed. They select Alex Len.

2014 NBA Draft:

With the first pick in the draft, the Seattle Supersonics select Andrew Wiggins

2014 NBA Draft:

you know thats exactly whats going to happen. we are cursed or the league is fixed. or both. That said i remember when the front office and Wes Unseld were in love w/ Jerry Stackhouse. everyone was convinced that he would be the next MJ. and the bullets had to "settle" for Rasheed Wallace and everyone was salty. Point is, there is no sure thing and players can be found through out the draft. we just need to bring in guys that can contribute and try to develop them. But i agree if we don't get a top 4 pick i'll be extremely disappointed.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 09:45 AM ----------

I must be a masochist. There is literally nothing entertaining about watching Eric Bledsoe take his former teammate and the #1 pick to school.

With every passing game I become more and more convinced that Wall is not a player you build a team around.

think wall is young jason kidd. look at their numbers pretty damn close. Kidd struggled w/ turnovers and scoring early on. His jumper was just as bad if not worse then John Wall's. Both are killer in transition and natural PG's but cannot be a realiable option to score the basket. over the years Kidd developed a set shot and i have no doubt wall can too but i don't think he'll ever be a prolific scorer. hopefully we won't have to trade away wall and eventually get him back to win a championship like Dallas did. well if it means we get the next Dirk i guess i'd take that.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 09:46 AM ----------

I must be a masochist. There is literally nothing entertaining about watching Eric Bledsoe take his former teammate and the #1 pick to school.

With every passing game I become more and more convinced that Wall is not a player you build a team around.

I think wall is a young jason kidd. look at their numbers pretty damn close. Kidd struggled w/ turnovers and scoring early on. His jumper was just as bad if not worse then John Wall's. Both are killer in transition and natural PG's but cannot be a realiable option to score the basket. over the years Kidd developed a set shot and i have no doubt wall can too but i don't think he'll ever be a prolific scorer. hopefully we won't have to trade away wall and eventually get him back to win a championship like Dallas did. well if it means we get the next Dirk i guess i'd take that.

2014 NBA Draft:

Give me Otto Porter at 5....I honestly want nothing to do with Alex Len.

I wouldn't mind Alex Len. I'd prefer him over Noel, who I want no part of on this team. He won't be nearly as effective in the NBA and his offensive game is 4 years away. Len puts up more points, in less time, in a variety of ways, with less coaching and player talent around him. He's also got more of a natural centers build.

I'm done with players that are missing fundamental skills and size but ooh they can jump and run and stuff! No no no a thousand times no.

I honestly want nothing to do with Alex Len.

I second this and I'm not sure what people see in him that translates to anything but maybe a rotation player in the NBA. He doesn't seem to have the necessary quickness and that guys at the next level will go right around him.

I wouldn't mind Alex Len. I'd prefer him over Noel, who I want no part of on this team. He won't be nearly as effective in the NBA and his offensive game is 4 years away. Len puts up more points, in less time, in a variety of ways, with less coaching and player talent around him. He's also got more of a natural centers build.

I'm done with players that are missing fundamental skills and size but ooh they can jump and run and stuff! No no no a thousand times no.

Noel is a no brainer IMO. He's a worthy first overall pick and we'd be lucky to get him.

I second this and I'm not sure what people see in him that translates to anything but maybe a rotation player in the NBA. He doesn't seem to have the necessary quickness and that guys at the next level will go right around him.

He alters shots without jumping and often stays down on fakes. He has a lot of variety to his offensive game. He has great size. I think he's quick enough to play center which doesn't require tremendous speed. Speed at center only matters if the strength or outside shooting is there to prevent stronger player from negating it.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 11:24 AM ----------

Noel is a no brainer IMO. He's a worthy first overall pick and we'd be lucky to get him.

Defensive centers aren't players to build around. He's narrow, skinny, and has zero offensive game. I don't think he will ever have a good offensive game. Teams will fall in love with his athleticism but he's a project lacking ideal size.

Defensive centers aren't players to build around. He's narrow, skinny, and has zero offensive game. I don't think he will ever have a good offensive game. Teams will fall in love with his athleticism but he's a project lacking ideal size.

He does have an offensive game. Personally I think he's got as good a body as Len and I think he's stronger than Len is today. I think he's a good deal better than Len overall. Len is an extremely inconsistent player too.

I agree. I just have never been that impressed with him. I have seen a good amount of his games, probably not as many as some Terp fans, but quite a few. And I have seen him play really well, and I have seen him look overmatched. He definintely has the size, but I don't think there is anything else that overwhelms me enough to take him that high in the draft.

I've watched Noel wanting to like him and I don't see an offensive game. No back to the basket game. No face up game. No shooting. It's all built on being the best athlete on the floor and that doesn't translate. He's not as tall as Len, he's got a smaller frame, hes much lighter, and they might have the same wingspan. I do not agree that he's stronger where it counts, legs and base.

I don't think much of Nerlens game translates to the NBA and Lens game works better in the NBA. Neither is a franchise player though.

We need to trade the pick for a veteran wing ....preferably a big one who can play 2/3/4. We have too many young players on this team. I wish we still had Caron Butler...he would be a nice fit here.

What vet wing player would you trade our (supposed) top-5 pick for? Rudy gay wasn't worth it...and I'm not sure who else is (that's available). If we keep the pick, I'm all for Otto Porter. He'd be an amazing fit on the roster.