Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Different type of PG. He's in the Gilbert Arenas mold.

And like us, the Cavs future is just as bleak even with Irving. They need additional help.

Only a matter of time before Lebron has him down in Miami LOL. Seriously.

Or Lebron joins him back in Cleveland.

Doesn't matter. Watch him play. He has such a better grasp of the game than John.

Wall has barely improved since he's joined the league. He's pretty much the same exact player he was as a rookie.

Again, he's a different type of player.

Would you compare a SCORING point guard like Allen Iverson to more of a classic PG like Chris Paul?

This is beating a dead horse, but you can't find a worse situation for a PG to develop than here in DC. For the 1000th time, look at Deron Williams' struggles in New Jersey. And that team didn't have 1/10th the dysfunction that was going on here with the Wizards.

Looks like he caught a hip to the back of the head. You almost never see that because it wouldn't be easy to do even if you tried. Hope he's alright .

Word this morning is that he stayed in the hospital in Houston overnight but they're just calling it a concussion and that he'll fully recover shortly. Maybe just miss a game our two, if that.

Again, he's a different type of player.

Would you compare a SCORING point guard like Allen Iverson to more of a classic PG like Chris Paul?

This is beating a dead horse, but you can't find a worse situation for a PG to develop than here in DC. For the 1000th time, look at Deron Williams' struggles in New Jersey. And that team didn't have 1/10th the dysfunction that was going on here with the Wizards.

It's not asking much from John to slightly improve on his shooting each year or improving as a ball handler. That has nothing to do with his teammates.

Kyrie is simply a better basketball player than John. Just like Chris Paul is/was better than Allen Iverson.

Edited by No Excuses

PS: Ted's blog is 99% of the reason I've stopped watching this team.

I dislike Ernie, but I think I dislike Ted more now. Just STFU or admit you royally ****ed up the "rebuild". At least Snyder was a quiet little weasel. It's an insult on mine, and everyone else's intelligence when he posts the garbage that he does.

Edited by No Excuses

It's not asking much from John to slightly improve on his shooting each year or improving as a ball handler. That has nothing to do with his teammates.

Kyrie is simply a better basketball player than John. Just like Chris Paul is/was better than Allen Iverson.

Of course his shooting needs improvement, but his teammates are part of the reason why he hasn't taken his game to the next level. He's ALWAYS been a pass-first PG. I'm sure you've seen the missed assist tracker from last year, but those numbers were glaring. His teammates not finishing or having the INABILITY to finish is why he was trying to do too much and play outside of his game. Same deal from Deron Williams in New Jersey.

Since his return this season, we've gotten a small glimpse of the type of player he can be provided that 1) he's healthy and 2) his teammates are capable of playing with some semblance of a B-ball IQ. I've actually got zero doubt in my mind that Wall will be mentioned as a top-5 PG in the league in a short amount of time.

I like Irving's game...but those #'s a hollow if he's not getting W's. What he did last night was nothing short of amazing, but like Wall, he needs A LOT of help.

And like us, the Cavs future is just as bleak even with Irving. They need additional help.

Only a matter of time before Lebron has him down in Miami LOL. Seriously.

Actually the Cavs future isn't that bleak.

They'll have max money in the near future with the prospect of Lebron coming back.

Not to mention 2 first rd picks in the upcoming draft.

So what franchise would you rather be?

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

John Wall has gotten better each year and the improvement to his key numbers demonstrates this. But as RA15 said, Wall will only be able to get so much better until the franchise around him becomes stable.

Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, both elite players, top two at their position at one point if not the best at their position. Key Olympians. Absolutely franchise players in Utah and Orlando. They get traded to unstable and unsupportive team situations and now people are writing them off as their level of play has steeply declined.

Also in comparison to Kyrie, Kyrie is a far better scorer but John's a much better passer and defender than Kyrie. Kyrie is still one of the worst defensive players in the league. He can score 30 but give up 30 and the net gain isn't all that great. He's going to need help too. He needs Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters to be really good. Much better than they were projected to be.

Actually the Cavs future isn't that bleak.

They'll have max money in the near future with the prospect of Lebron coming back.

Not to mention 2 first rd picks in the upcoming draft.

So what franchise would you rather be?

If LeBron went back, them. But why would he do that? Why would he want to go back to not being good enough to win rings?

Ultimately, I think our ceiling is going to depend on what we can get out of this draft. If we get a difference maker like Noel or Zeller, I'd rather have our construction. I think Wall is going to eventually be better than Kyrie and I think Beal will always be better than Waiters. Probably a good deal better. I think we've got a two All Star construction right now and they've got a single All Star construction. But it depends on how this draft shakes out. If they get Nerlens and we have to settle for a low upside guy or pick a bust, then I would take them.

---------- Post added February-3rd-2013 at 02:43 PM ----------

Cleveland's second first round pick is Miami's. Probably end up picking 30th. It's not a notable asset.

That's a ton of speculation and I think it gets pretty wild. I don't buy it. I don't buy that Kyrie will be the best PG in the league at any point, or that he alone would be enough to draw James away from a championship machine in Miami when the rest of Cleveland's roster sucks. I don't buy that James wants to leave Miami now, and I think he'll be even more entrenched in two years. If any of the big three are leaving Miami for financial reasons, it won't be him.

---------- Post added February-3rd-2013 at 02:54 PM ----------

My problem with Wall's defense is that the effort is not there consistently, he gets very lazy on defense enough times that it stands out.

I don't disagree. But when he gets locked in he's a difference maker. I think the consistency of his performance on D will go up as he matures. Mainly it'll go up when the team is winning and playing well as a unit and each possession matters.

LeBron's rise as a defender kind of followed the same arc. He was crap at first but flashed the playmaking ability then by the time he gets to Miami he's an amazing defender.

My problem with Wall's defense is that the effort is not there consistently, he gets very lazy on defense enough times that it stands out.

He was put on Jimmer and Temple was brought in off the bench to guard Isiah Thomas. Think that's entirely because Randy likes Temple? I don't. He's a bad defender 90% of the time that his coach doesn't trust in crunch time.

The bigger issue with Wall is that there are too many "if he could improve" areas to his game. Defense, half court offense, shooting, consistency, and at times attitude (he sulks). Sure he'd be better if surrounded in talent like Rondo has in Boston, but what good point guard wouldn't? Wall is good but he's got a lot of distance between him and great.

He certainly could improve but that possibility doesn't change today's reality.

Edited by Destino

He was put on Jimmer and Temple was brought in off the bench to guard Isiah Thomas. Think that's entirely because Randy likes Temple? I don't. He's a bad defender 90% of the time that his coach doesn't trust in crunch time.

John is not a bad defender 90% of the time and the reason Wittman put Temple on Thomas is because Temple is supposed to be a stopper. That's his specialty. You're misreading the situation, it was more about Temple than Wall and Randy made a mistake, just like he made a mistake leaving Wall on the bench too long. And even still, the call to put Temple in would have worked if Ariza or Nene or the interior big had defended the pick properly.

And even if it was a reflection on Wittman's trust in Wall like you claim, using that example as proof he's a bad crunch time defender is cherry picking the negative. John has actually won games in crunch time with spectacular defensive plays, including the weak side block in Denver.

I can't see any scenario in which Lebron goes to Cleveland. Not after the stupid rant their owner unleashed when he left. That bridge was burned pretty badly at that point and I haven't heard anything suggesting its been repaired. I'd love to see Kyrie and Lebron in the triangle offense so if he does go back maybe that happens. Then again I just love the triangle offense.

The big three are done after this year or next. There isn't a chance they stay together beyond next season. The lakers will be broken up too. People are just starting to realize that the luxury tax has giant razor sharp teeth.

COMPLETELY OT here but how in the hell does Byron Mullens--a center--have a 37% FG percentage? How is that even possible?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mulleby01.html

Sorry, was looking up Deron Williams and Dwight Howards stats this year which somehow lead me to the Bobcats and whether they're a worse team than us (yes, they are) which lead me to that. How is that even possible?

Deron Williams has always been overrated. Don't call going to Brooklyn a bad situation. And even if one could consider it a bad environment. It was Williams who created the poor environment.

---------- Post added February-3rd-2013 at 07:28 PM ----------

COMPLETELY OT here but how in the hell does Byron Mullens--a center--have a 37% FG percentage? How is that even possible?

He likes to take terrible mid ranged shots.

The Nets were terrible when they got Deron. They sill aren't that good, but they've come a looong way since. But the damage to the perception of Deron has been done. He's a franchise player though.

He was not overrated in Utah either. He was an elite player and arguably the second best PG in the league to CP3.

The Nets were terrible when they got Deron. They sill aren't that good, but they've come a looong way since. But the damage to the perception of Deron has been done. He's a franchise player though.

He was not overrated in Utah either. He was an elite player and arguably the second best PG in the league to CP3.

The damage to his perception was done when he chased off a legendary coach and ****ed and moaned his way to the Nets. The Nets have a pretty good roster and he's still not back to what he was prior to turning into a massive team cancer in Utah. Lopez, Wallace, and Johnson certainly isn't bad.

The lesson there is that John Wall would benefit from a head coach with an effective system. Sadly wasn't it Wall that gave Wittman the vote of confidence that resulted in him being extended here? The main difference is that Deron Williams can shoot and he's kind of a self important dbag.

Edited by Destino