Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The half court offense isn't going to improve until we get a perimeter player that can create and a coach that has an offense that isn't written in crayon. Ideally a SF upgrade would be perfect but this may be he worst year for it,

It'd be nice to get a creative SF but I'd settle for a 3 and D wing who actually hits his shots.

The level of shooting for the whole team seems to tank without Beal. He seems like the only guy who is going to truly be a good distance shooter on the team. Maybe Crawford but Crawford seems to only be able to shoot off the dribble.

We need other top notch shooters to keep the floor spaced out. The more you can put around Wall, the better. Best case scenario is not just getting a good shooting 3 but also a stretch 4 too IMO. Paul George & Kevin Love. That'd be a tremendous offense. How you get that, I have no idea, since you're right, there aren't any obvious top notch SFs in this class and probably no top stretch 4s. Maybe Isaiah Austin but I figured he was more of a 5 at his height. I don't know.

Otto Porter could fit the bill as a Nick Batum type 3 and D player but he's still pretty raw and might be more of a late lotto pick. McAdoo and Bennett aren't really the shooters I was looking for, plus they are tweeners and not pure SFs. Almost more of a face up PF. Tony Mitchell is a PF IMO. Poythress is also a tweener forward and not the kind of reliable distance shooter I want.

Shabazz is a tweener SG/SF who has the creative skills and the shooting ability I'd want but not the passing ability and not the ideal height for the position. McLemore is a SG at about 6'4, 200. He's also a finisher, not a creator.

It's looking like Otto Porter is our best bet at finding a pure SF that can shoot.

If we pick top four, I wouldn't want to take him in that range. I would take a big man or go BPA and just try and make it work with Shabazz or McLemore. Move Beal to SF and go small or deal McLemore for something good.

I would, however, consider trying to trade back into the first round if Otto Porter slipped into the late lottery. We really need to get SF sorted out.

I think every team needs a good amount of shooters. I'd say that unless a player is big and rebounds well there is no excuse not to be able to shoot at least decently well. Grunfeld's acceptance of players lacking basketball fundamentals is not a view I share. This team needs more than shooters however because Wall is not dominant (or very good) in a half court offense and this coach fails at X's and O's. They need an off the bounce offensive creator on the perimeter.

Wall is not a Bust. He's a starting PG in the NBA and that alone stops him from being a bust. He's not the dominant star he was thought to be, and frankly I doubt that he ever will be, so he may have failed to meet some of those expectations. He's way to good to be a bust though.

Chicago Bulls Rumors ‏@chicagobullsbot

Chicago Bulls have spoken to the Washington Wizards expressing interest in F Jan Vesely. (Source: Rumor Press)

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Vesely for Noah straight up. In fact I say we throw in Singleton just to be nice.

I was really hoping it would be Singleton or Booker that goes. The way the Ves runs the court and passes for a big had me holding out hope that he could turn into a solid player for us.

Don't get me wrong, he is incredibly raw and right now is either the worst or 2nd worst of those 3.. but I always thought if he bulked up a bit and got used to the position that he could be good.

Chicago Bulls Rumors ‏@chicagobullsbot

Chicago Bulls have spoken to the Washington Wizards expressing interest in F Jan Vesely. (Source: Rumor Press)

NOOOOOOOOOOO

I wonder if Teddy still believes in him.

Vesely for Noah straight up. In fact I say we throw in Singleton just to be nice.

Vesely & Wittman for Thibbs

Edited by StillUnknown

Vesely & Wittman for Thibbs

DEAL! In a heartbeat. And you all know how I like Vesely.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 04:14 PM ----------

Georgetown plays St Johns on CBS at 4pm....if anyone's interested in watching Otto Porter.

Thanks for the heads up, going to watch it now.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

Damn. I'm getting MIami--NC State instead of the G town game. Kansas Oklahoma St. is on though. Marcus Smart versus Ben McLemore. Smart is having a hell of a game. I'm getting it on MASN.

Not my boy. Please no.

I don't think this team has the coaches to teach or develop a player. Ask yourself who has grown and really shown. Who's better? To me, that's a bigger indictment than the X's and O's. I thinkwe have players willing to work, that we we've gotten rid of a lot of the knuckleheads, but I don't see growth at least not growth beyond what a player learns by simple on the court experience.

For that reason, unless we are going to go with a new staff a really raw, high potential guy like Vesely is all but useless on this roster... not just today, but going forward.

Wow, OSU is pretty good. They are putting it to Kansas pretty hard.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 04:30 PM ----------

McLemore just pulled two John Walls (chasedown blocks). He's struggling on offense though. Turning it over a bit and hasn't been able to get some good looks yet. Yet as I type that he just showed off a nasty spin move on a drive to the rim for a finger roll finish.

McLemore can get to the rim off the dribble on straight line drives. That spin move shows he has some ability to go off script and finish. But what I want to see is him change directions and change hands on his drives and prove he's improving his handle.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 04:32 PM ----------

Now he just splashed an open corner 3. He is automatic on open jumpers from the perimeter. I wish he was three inches taller. If he was 6'7 he'd be the first overall pick most likely. And he'd be exactly who we need.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 04:42 PM ----------

James McAdoo, 22 points and 10 rebounds on 8-12 shooting. Starting to come into his own.

Otto Porter doesn't seem to be able to jump very high. He's surprisingly effective but I keep waiting for him to jump for any reason and he doesn't. Has anyone seen him dunk? I'm sure he can but he doesn't seem to like it.

Edited by Destino

Same for McLemore and Withey if anyone is watching Kansas. Not McLemore's best shooting game today. He's gotten blocked at least twice that I've seen. But he's got two blocks of his own. Having a little trouble dealing with all the raw athleticism of OK St.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 05:13 PM ----------

What could Chicago realistically offer us for Vesely?

That'd be exactly the type of team that could actually develop him.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 05:17 PM ----------

Porter, 10 points on 4 shots. I love how under control his game is. He never really seems to make bad plays. Very patient.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 05:25 PM ----------

McLemore is heating up.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 05:52 PM ----------

Indiana v. Michigan tonight should be good.

Entertaining game and big win for OK St. They've got a good team. Good showing from Smart and McLemore. Smart is really good, a top ten pick for sure. Makes a huge impact all over the place. Kind of reminds me of a PG version of MKG and Crash Wallace in some ways.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 06:23 PM ----------

I pair of shoes and a couple of basketballs and they have deal. Vesely is nothing but a complete bust.

Maybe he's a bust. Maybe he isn't. Too early to make that call.

Noah has plantar fasciaiitis, i'd try to extract as much value as I could if we are going to deal Vesely.

Trading Vesely for other prospects makes no sense though. I'd consolidate half of our bench for quality bench players if at all possible. Seraphin+JC+Chris Singleton should net someone with a brain, at least that's my hope.

Edited by nuposse87

Maybe he's a bust. Maybe he isn't. Too early to make that call.

Really dude?? He was the number 6 pick in the draft two years ago, the team he is on is 11-34 terrible and he doesn't even play in games. It would be one thing if this was a playoff caliber team in meaningful games and he was a rotation player, but they aren't and he still doesn't play at all. It's not too early to call someone like that a bust.

It would be interesting to see just what we could get in return for Vesely. Can't imagine it would be anything of note.

My thoughts on Vesely is that even if he has some redeemable qualities, they will never be developed under this current regime. If you are a fan of Vesley the player, you might want to hope he gets traded so he has a chance at realizing some of his "upside".

On a sidenote, would anybody be shocked if Ted wrote "since a team is interested in Vesely, it proves he's worth keeping" in a future blog?

Edited by StillUnknown