Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I am so sick of ******* talking about the draft every November....

It never helps us...we have lottery picks every year and still suck and are irrelevant.

We are an absolute joke of a franchise...**** Grunfield....**** basketball Ted.

For about a 4 year stretch...we at least a pulse in the NBA. Now, we don't matter...we literally aren't ****.

That kills me...no one knows we exist. I am so tired of it....

Another year, another stupid ass trade.

By the time Feb rolls around, half the team will have been traded again and we'll end up with Eddy Curry and Sebastian Telfair.

I am so sick of ******* talking about the draft every November....

It never helps us...we have lottery picks every year and still suck and are irrelevant.

We are an absolute joke of a franchise...**** Grunfield....**** basketball Ted.

For about a 4 year stretch...we at least a pulse in the NBA. Now, we don't matter...we literally aren't ****.

That kills me...no one knows we exist. I am so tired of it....

Another year, another stupid ass trade.

By the time Feb rolls around, half the team will have been traded again and we'll end up with Eddy Curry and Sebastian Telfair.

iLoqKYmJ4DIyN.gif

This is a few months old, but it's a good read.

http://jayglassie.com/2012/04/24/the-last-straw/

That blame game is the most startling thing about this tenure. There are all the behind the scenes stories – how he came into an offseason meeting this year and declared they had to give Nick Young a full mid-level exception, to the bewilderment of his staff. How JaVale McGee came and asked him for a big man coach, and Grunfeld said he could have one if he paid for it himself. The many times Grunfeld went behind Eddie Jordan or Flip Saunders back when they tried to reign in Grunfeld’s pets Arenas and Blatche. The times you’d watch players ****ing around at practice despite lengthy losing streaks, and Grunfeld standing there ****ing around the same way.

But it’s the blaming. When they started losing, first he blamed Eddie Jordan. Then after one of the worst trades in draft day history, he blamed Abe Pollin and the “mandate we were under,” although I guess if you’re that desperate, the recently deceased is a nice person to blame for your failures. Then it was Caron Butler, who rightly thrashed until he was traded away from this abomination of a franchise. Then Gilbert Arenas and the gun incident, which make no mistake, was fostered, aided, and abetted by years of coddling by Ernie Grunfeld himself. Flip Saunders got the finger pointed at him next, and now Andray Blatche is up. Moving these people out isn’t Grunfeld rebuilding the franchise, which is he somehow being given credit for. It’s rifling through more people to blame so he can keep his job with minimal effort.

"Sometimes you have to sacrifice something to win, or to invest in your future...I promised this team as soon as I was able to get better I'd play.I'm going to help my team. That does not mean I'm cured, no injury. My injury is still there but I have heart and like, pride.I trust this team. That's the reason I played.

~ Nene"

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/11/22/3680158/nene-post-game-presser

You see.. This is EXACTLY why i thought Nene was playing. EG was forcing him to play to save his own ass. Damnit i hate this guy. He is rivaling Vinnie. How many people's careers does he need to ruin before he gets the axe? Of course we have seen this type of thing happen before. It ends badly.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

Neither EG or Wittman are going anywhere anytime soon. Ted's most recent blog says just that:

http://www.tedstake.com/

A Tough OT Loss

Posted on November 23, 2012

We didn’t do many little things to deserve the win. We missed an open dunk in OT, we didn’t box out on a free throw miss and allowed a put back for two points, twice! We missed one of two free throws at the end of regulation.

The little things add up from a win in regulation to a heartbreaking OT loss. There can be no excuses, we must bond as a franchise and execute better to dig ourselves out of the hole we have dug to start the season.

There are some positives to motivate the team. We are going to the basket now and drawing our fair share of foul shots. We are rebounding better and with Nene in the lineup. The spacing on the floor seemed to have opened and changed for the better.

We await John Wall’s return, and then the coach and staff will be able to settle on an eight or nine man rotation and settle in on a system. As noted early in the preseason, I didn’t think any team had changed up its lineup as much as we had. And with so many early season injuries, we do seem to be lacking that cohesion that turns close losses into wins.

Be that as it may, there are 72 games left this season. We have to really focus on Saturday’s game and then in a very straightforward manner, play quarter by quarter and game by game to gain a win and then gain some confidence and then literally start our season from scratch.

That was a very tough game to watch and the game-turning at the end on an official’s call as to time left in OT was quite hard to fathom. But we live in a binary world of sports, winners and losers, no in between.

He is in total denial about the state of this franchise and his general manager. It's going to be a long, long season.

Neither EG or Wittman are going anywhere anytime soon. Ted's most recent blog says just that:

http://www.tedstake.com/

He is in total denial about the state of this franchise and his general manager. It's going to be a long, long season.

Yeah. Does he not at all question why the team had to blow 9 games in a row to start while they floundered around trying to figure out a decent lineup and a system? To me, saying we've gone through more lineups than anyone else in the NBA begs some obvious freaking questions.

Newsflash Ted, good organizations don't use the regular season as a crash course to get that **** figured out. The people you put in charge suck. They couldn't pick a lineup because your coach isn't bright enough and creative enough to roll with the punches and your GM gave saddled him with an awful roster dynamic giving him awful vets to play so that Randy would have to take all of those punches in the first place.

Not having Wall and Nene is not an excuse when Dallas won games without their best players and Orlando has won games with crap players.

I don't expect Ted to really say that Grunfeld or Wittman are failing. He can't undercut his people until he's either already fired them or has decided to do so. He's been consistent in saying that he's expecting things to be different with Wall and Nene on the floor.

Anyone got espn insider? I think they are talking about Beal being a disappointment. I don't have access though.

I don't expect Ted to really say that Grunfeld or Wittman are failing. He can't undercut his people until he's either already fired them or has decided to do so. He's been consistent in saying that he's expecting things to be different with Wall and Nene on the floor.

Anyone got espn insider? I think they are talking about Beal being a disappointment. I don't have access though.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/Rookies-121123/nba-rookie-watch-early-disappointments

Beal leads all rookies in free throw percentage and is shooting a decent percentage from 3 ( .333). But those are about the only good things coming from the No. 3 overall pick thus far.

Measuring him against other rookies, however, can be a tricky thing. Imagine two guys rowing separate boats, both equal in their abilities. One guy is in a fast-moving stream, rowing his boat in the same direction as the current. Meanwhile, the other is rowing in a stream moving in the opposite direction of the rower. Who's the faster rower?

In other words, part of the reason Beal is struggling is because the Wizards, for reasons beyond their control and under their control, have been moving downward since day one this season. And while players such as LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Derrick Rose are so good that they can elevate a franchise almost on their own, Beal is not at their level.

Nonetheless, Beal is ultimately responsible for his game results, which include him taking four shots a game from 16 to 23 feet and making only 23 percent of them (long 2s are the lowest-percentage shots in the game). Many of these shots are coming off screens, which are difficult shots to make without being balanced on the release; Beal is working hard to get open but is not staying balanced on most of these shots.

His transition game is good, maybe even very good, where he can navigate the court and find open creases. But he's not having that same success in the halfcourt, appearing overwhelmed most of the time as he searches for open looks. The game is just too fast for him right now. It looks as though he thinks there are seven defenders on the court, especially when he's the primary ball handler in ball screen situations. He is not attacking angles properly and is making it easy for defenders to defend him and his teammates.

If John Wall, who is out with a knee injury, were playing next to Beal in the backcourt, things would surely get easier for Beal. It's a great thing to look forward to. Just as the game slows down for Beal, Wall should return, and that combination suggests Beal will have a big second half of the season.

Edited by Hersh

Dwayne Wade and Derrick Rose never elevated their franchises by themselves and neither were good immediately. What stupid ass examples. What about Dirk, KG, Melo, Dwight?

Usually it's a front court player that elevates his team to playoff status. CP3 is the only guard I can think of that has elevated his team without much help. Though David West was an All Star and Tyson Chandler was pretty good...

Beal has been struggling offensively though. He needs set plays run for him to make a difference or he needs a good PG to work with.

I don't think Beal can be expected to elevate the franchise in his first 10 games. He does however have to live up to his hype more than he has.

Edit: and now no NBA team has less than 3 wins other than the wizards. The wizards are now the worst team in the NBA by a comfortable margain.

Edited by Destino

We're 3 games up on the league for the most lotto balls 10 games into the season. What more can be said at this point? Only had one game we should have won so far in ten tries. We're terrible. The team has got to start winning some games soon.

Beal will never elevate a team to playoff status on his own. A 6'5 shooter will never do it. Ray Allen couldn't and Ray was obviously a lot better.

I wasn't impressed with Beal in that half. He did ok. Nene and Webster were efficient and that's made a real difference. The team has almost no scoring options and Beal still struggles to even really get shot attempts. He needs to be far more aggressive, the team is setting a lot of screens for him and he's doing very little with it.

Maybe he's better used as just a spot up shooter. When Wall gets back that's likely what Beal will be.

I wasn't impressed with Beal in that half. He did ok. Nene and Webster were efficient and that's made a real difference. The team has almost no scoring options and Beal still struggles to even really get shot attempts. He needs to be far more aggressive, the team is setting a lot of screens for him and he's doing very little with it.

Maybe he's better used as just a spot up shooter. When Wall gets back that's likely what Beal will be.

He drove to the basket twice and got 4 FTs out of it, on pace for 14, 8, and 8, and played nice defense. I can't complain. Nice first half. Idk about you, but I'm pulling for the kid.

Edited by SuperBash

Being active is great, but Beal better start hitting some of those shots when they're running plays for him and needs to figure out a way to at least get to the line when he's on the break.

He has NO sense of pacing when going one-on-one with a defender and just throws it up and hope it goes in. Bad start to the half for him and the team.