Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Andray Blatche always talks a big game and says all the right things in interviews. He seems self aware and knows what he has to do moving forward... and then he doesn't do any of it. He self destructs. He will never get it turned around here. For his own sake he should hope he gets amnestied. He'll never change without a change of scenery.

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 02:55 PM ----------

These deals are making Blatche's contract look like good value...

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 03:04 PM ----------

Also, these terrible deals being doled out make me wonder if Blatche actually does have trade value. He's a 25 year old 6'11 scoring big with skills making around 7 to 8 million a year.

If his damn contract wasn't so long, I bet he'd actually bring value back in trade because that is a very cheap dollars amount for that type of player. But because the damn thing is so long, other GMs are probably too afraid to take a risk on him and his (lack of) motor to give anything up for him. They don't want to have to deal with him for the next three years if it doesn't work out.

See, my fear is that Ernie will fall in love with his pet project again and think that Blatche can help this team again. I really feel like Wittman got to Ernie and just said "get this guy away from my team" and that thought makes me love Randy more. That being said though, I do wonder if we're going to include Blatche in our rotation to try to showcase his talents at all (assuming we keep him), or if he's just gonna get paid to sit on the bench. When he's on he does give us another outside shot. I just don't trust that he'll ever be on consistently or reliably.

See, my fear is that Ernie will fall in love with his pet project again and think that Blatche can help this team again. I really feel like Wittman got to Ernie and just said "get this guy away from my team" and that thought makes me love Randy more. That being said though, I do wonder if we're going to include Blatche in our rotation to try to showcase his talents at all (assuming we keep him), or if he's just gonna get paid to sit on the bench. When he's on he does give us another outside shot. I just don't trust that he'll ever be on consistently or reliably.

Blatche can't get back on the court for us. I hope Wittman makes sure this doesn't happen. If he's going to ever redeem himself, it has to be for another team. We'll know our intentions after July 11th I suppose. I read somewhere that's the earliest we can amnesty him.

Blatche can't get back on the court for us. I hope Wittman makes sure this doesn't happen. If he's going to ever redeem himself, it has to be for another team. We'll know our intentions after July 11th I suppose. I read somewhere that's the earliest we can amnesty him.

July 11th is the earliest, and July 18th is the latest I think.

Ernie could make things easier my just announcing that we're going to amnesty the bum. I would prefer amnesty to a trade at this point, I can't see anyway we win a deal in which he's shipped.

Anyone think JaVale makes the Olympic team this summer?

Keep in mind Anthony Davis won't be in the picture because of a recent ankle sprain. And Dwight Howard and Chris Bosh aren't playing because of their injuries. Right now the only legit bigs on the team are Tyson Chandler, Kevin Love, and Blake Griffin. They've got to find another center IMO. Love and Griffin are PFs. Joakim Noah plays for the French team. Andrew Bynum, DeMarcus Cousins, Greg Monroe, and JaVale McGee are really the only other American options...

The NBA has a severe defficiency of quality American centers.

Okafor if healthy is starting on this team and playing 30mpg. I don't think some of you realize how good he is when healthy. He is our best defending big,best rebounding big can hit a mid range shot and knows how to play the spacing game.

I love Seraphins ability and possible upside if you go back thru this thread when everyone was bashing him I was the one to defend him. But he is'nt anywhere near Okafors all around game at this point. Seraphin and Booker will battle for scraps unless there is a injury.

Different deal. Joe Johnson is a much better player than either Ariza or Okafor. But his contract is horrible. How desperate the Hawks must have been to clear room. They got back only expiring contracts in return. It would have been nice to at least get a decent draft pick or young player like Marshon Brooks out of the deal.

That said, I think Marshon Brooks is pretty overrated. And this is coming from someone who actually liked him last year in college. I'd rather have Jordan Crawford than him... that's not saying too terribly much. He wouldn't have been a dealbreaker for me either.

Ferry takes over and blows up the Hawks. Smart move imo, they weren't going anywhere. I would say that is one more playoff spot open but if they fall out because of JJ being gone, Nets obviously move in with a Deron/JJ/Wallace/Lopez core. Hell maybe even D Howard instead of Lopez, I guess they still have the pieces around Lopez/G.Green(assuming he resigns)/Brooks/1st Rounder.

Edited by SuperBash

Joe Johnson + Deron Williams seems like a silly core to try and build around. If I'm Deron Williams, there is simply no way I choose that over playing with Dirk Nowitzki in Dallas.

Not the way I would build a core, but a playoff team in the East that wasn't last year for sure.

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 08:14 PM ----------

And I thought I read the JJ deal was contingent on Deron signing? Or was that a false rumor?

Ferry takes over and blows up the Hawks. Smart move imo, they weren't going anywhere. I would say that is one more playoff spot open but if they fall out because of JJ being gone, Nets obviously move in with a Deron/JJ/Wallace/Lopez core. Hell maybe even D Howard instead of Lopez, I guess they still have the pieces around Lopez/G.Green(assuming he resigns)/Brooks/1st Rounder.

They've privately said that a Dwight trade wasn't happening apparently. The Magic had no interest in dealing with them apparently. They moved on and made the Joe Johnson trade in a desperate attempt to try and keep Deron Williams in town.

I don't think it works unless money is a big factor for DWill.

If DWill stays, I think Brooklyn is into the playoffs. If he goes, they won't make it. I think Atlanta stays in, Joe Johnson wasn't the reason they were good. Horford and Josh Smith will keep them competitive even as they clear salary. I think Orlando drops out if Dwight misses a significant amount of time. I also think there'll be some unrest.

I think Indy, Chicago, Miami, and Boston are all locks. Knicks will make it. Three spots for flawed also rans like Orlando, Philly, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Toronto, Brooklyn, and us. Charlotte and Cleveland have no chance. And Detroit probably doesn't either.

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 08:20 PM ----------

Not the way I would build a core, but a playoff team in the East that wasn't last year for sure.

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 08:14 PM ----------

And I thought I read the JJ deal was contingent on Deron signing? Or was that a false rumor?

Nothing about that in the official story on ESPN. Just a handshake agreement over players. If I'm Atlanta, I wouldn't accept a deal with that kind of contingency.

Well the Nets just took on a horrible contract in an underacheiving Joe Johnson, so I expect the same bashers to bash the Nets frot office lol

They got a star player for an expiring deal. It's the opposite of what Grunfail did. Granted his contract is terrible but hey, at least he's a star. Plus the nets are going to overspend because they are under the bright lights and have to provide something. They can't move to Brooklyn with nothing but Wallace and Lopez.

I read on RealGm forums that we are looking into Hinrich and John Lucas III. I hope they bring Machado in for a workout.

We'll bring in a veteran PG, not another rookie. Mack is here for that role. John wants a veteran backup.

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 09:22 PM ----------

They got a star player for an expiring deal. It's the opposite of what Grunfail did. Granted his contract is terrible but hey, at least he's a star. Plus the nets are going to overspend because they are under the bright lights and have to provide something. They can't move to Brooklyn with nothing but Wallace and Lopez.

Yeah. They want to stay over the luxury tax to be able to use the MLE and the other exceptions too.

The thing about them is their owner won't blanch at luxury tax, which an be useful. But this deal took them out of the running for Dwight Howard next summer unless something crazy happens. Dwight is a UFA next summer, and he actually wanted to go to Brooklyn. He was probably more in play for him than ever at this point. Now the only way they can likely get him is by letting DWill walk and waiting a year.

The timing of this deal was bad. Dwill and Dwight was potentially in play. Now there is pretty much no way they can have both. It'll be Johnson and one or the other.

Nothing about that in the official story on ESPN. Just a handshake agreement over players. If I'm Atlanta, I wouldn't accept a deal with that kind of contingency.

EVERYTHING I've heard/read/seen indeed says that the deal is contingent on Williams resigning. And Atlanta doesn't really have a choice. That's the deal. Also heard that DWill suggested Johnson and "approved the trade" so I'm assuming it's a done deal.

Atlanta has also traded Marvin Williams to Utah. Didn't see the terms on that.

Lastly, anyone putting the Okafor/Ariza trade in the same boat as this Johnson trade for Brooklyn, either a) has no clue what Johnsons contract looks like, B) Hasn't watched Johnson much over the past couple of years c) doesn't realize that Brooklyn also threw in a #1 pick, d) has a full-blown case of EDS or e) some combination of those. Not even in the same ballpark. This Johnson deal is an absolute franchise killer for Brooklyn. Total panic move.

Man if the Hawks get Dwight and Paul next year...

Dwight

Horford

Maybe Josh Smith(idk his contract situation)

Chris Paul

Lebron

Wade

Bosh

That will be in our division. Pretty scary.

I also read that Ryan Anderson is visting the Kings. I'd love for him to sign a huge deal making it tough to sign Cousins later on. A core of Wall/Beal/Cousins/Seraphin/Ves would look great for the future. It would probably be tough to afford them all at that point or at least in the future but it would be very formidable. We'd just need to find a solid SF somewhere along the way. Haha, this is best case scenario, but fun to think about.

The Nets are stuck in mediocrity if they don't get Dwight. With Dwight that's a pretty nasty team.

Being the 6th-8th seed in the NBA while capped out financially is the worst thing that can happen to your team. I fear we are headed in that same direction unless the front office is changed.

Edited by No Excuses

If this deal goes through.. we are doomed. Nets/Bulls/Heat/Celtics are all going to be stacked. We need John Wall to go into allstar mode this season.

The Wiz should still be a team competing for a playoff spot. Assuming Indiana is still a playoff team, that leaves 3 spots between NY, Philly, Wizards, and maybe Milwaukee or Toronto??

Orlando and Atlanta will fall off significantly.

EVERYTHING I've heard/read/seen indeed says that the deal is contingent on Williams resigning. And Atlanta doesn't really have a choice. That's the deal. Also heard that DWill suggested Johnson and "approved the trade" so I'm assuming it's a done deal.

Atlanta has also traded Marvin Williams to Utah. Didn't see the terms on that.

Lastly, anyone putting the Okafor/Ariza trade in the same boat as this Johnson trade for Brooklyn, either a) has no clue what Johnsons contract looks like, B) Hasn't watched Johnson much over the past couple of years c) doesn't realize that Brooklyn also threw in a #1 pick, d) has a full-blown case of EDS or e) some combination of those. Not even in the same ballpark. This Johnson deal is an absolute franchise killer for Brooklyn. Total panic move.

ESPN.com reported Sunday that finalizing any deal with the Hawks was contingent upon Williams telling the Nets that he plans to re-sign with them July 11, which is the first day new NBA contracts can be signed. But sources close to the process said Monday that the Nets have changed their stance and are preparing to go through with the trade whether or not Williams commits to Brooklyn.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8124182/brooklyn-nets-land-joe-johnson-trade-atlanta-hawks-sources-say

Looks like this is a done deal.

You're underestimating Joe Johnson's quality. Last year he was hurt for long stretches and didn't perform at his usual level. Ball stopped too much with him when before he's been a quality source of ball movement.

When healthy, Johnson is the third best SG in the league and the second best in the East. He is a legit star player, Okafor and Ariza aren't neatly as good as him. Johnson is a creative ISO scorer that can provide crunch time offense. He has always been a high assists guy for a SG. He rebounds well. And he defends multiple positions at a high level.

But I feel like he's a bit ball dominant to be pairing with Deron. To me this move signifies Deron wants to be a more active scorer and have Johnson pick up the slack in his assist numbers. DWill could probably score 25+ PPG if he got to work off the ball more, he's a gifted sorer.

If the Nets got Dwight Howard though... he'd be the second or third offensive option and would just get easy bucket after easy bucket all damn day. Nobody could double him. If they got him and kept Kris Humphries, then by God, they'd be the best defensive and rebounding team by a mile. They'd be huge and powerful at every position. They'd just bully teams around and force you to be absolutely perfect with every possession. I think they'd unseat the Bulls and Heat at the top of the conference in time.