Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I was switching channels last night and found the Hornets/Bobcats game. Halftime score was 37-35 Charlotte. With less than 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, it was 43-37 Charlotte. 6-2 in the 3rd. At one point Charlotte was 2-13 from the field and New Orleans was 1-16. I was so riveted watching it to see when someone would actually score a bucket. It was terrible.

The two teams combined to shoot 32% from the floor. In fact, according to Basketball-Reference.com, this game joins only 8 others where one team shot 34% or worse, and their opponent shot 30.3% or worse in the history of the NBA. So – yeah, one of the worst shooting performances ever.

http://www.hornets247.com/blog/2012/04/16/the-bobcats-out-lose-the-hornets/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+hornets247-blog+%28Hornets247.com+Blog%29

With the #2 pick, we can only drop to 5.

With #3, we can drop to 6.

I have a feeling we pick 3rd or 4th. I can see the Hornets getting the first pick and the Bobcats getting the 2nd. Some team almost always jumps up into the top 3. Has there been a lottery in the recent years where the worst 3 ended up top 3?

First tier: Anthony Davis.

Super Upside: Andre Drummond

Second tier: T-Rob, Beal, and MKG

Looks like picks 2-5 will get someone at about the same level. After that you have Barnes and Sullinger which I think have a lower ceiling.

Possible lineups with those picks:

Wall - Mack

Crawford - Beal

Martin - C. Singleton

Nene - Booker - J Singleton

Seraphin - Vesely

or

Wall - Mack

Crawford - Martin

C. Singleton - MKG

Seraphin - Vesely

or

Wall - Mack

Crawford - Martin

C. Singleton - Vesely

T Rob - J Singleton

Nene - Seraphin

or

Wall - Mack

Crawford - Martin

C. Singleton - Vesely

Seraphin - Drummond

Edited by Destino

Charlotte+New Orleans=2-27 from 3.

I laugh at people who try to discount Charlotte's suckiness. Worst. Team. EVER. No doubt in my mind.

Yeah. They are terrible. They really shouldn't even be called a pro franchise after the drafting of Sean May and Adam Morrison alone. That just screams stupid front office. At least Walker has some upside, but he is certainly closer to 5-10 than 6-1. Undersized with no weapons at all. Horrible team.

First tier: Anthony Davis.

Super Upside: Andre Drummond

Second tier: T-Rob, Beal, and MKG

Looks like picks 2-5 will get someone at about the same level. After that you have Barnes and Sullinger which I think have a lower ceiling.

Possible lineups with those picks:

Wall - Mack

Crawford - Beal

Martin - C. Singleton

Seraphin - Vesely

or

Wall - Mack

Crawford - Martin

C. Singleton - MKG

Seraphin - Vesely

or

Wall - Mack

Crawford - Martin

C. Singleton - Vesely

T Rob - J Singleton

Nene - Seraphin

or

Wall - Mack

Crawford - Martin

C. Singleton - Vesely

Seraphin - Drummond

I don't see how MKG wouldn't start over Singleton from the jump.

Hypothetically, if we get the #1 overall (and take Davis)...what does the line-up look like? Seraphin off the bench and Nene stays at the 5? Same scenario if we draft T-Rob?

I would work whoever drafted at PF/C into the lineup slowly.

There is no way you can bench Seraphin. Eventually the player would take over Nene's PF spot.

Nene can play as a hybrid 4/5 off the bench. If Vesely wasn't such a bad shooter, he would work well as a hybrid 3/4. But his complete lack of an offensive game reduces his role to the PF spot.

There is no way you can bench Seraphin. Eventually the player would take over Nene's PF spot.

Nene can play as a hybrid 4/5 off the bench. If Vesely wasn't such a bad shooter, he would work well as a hybrid 3/4. But his complete lack of an offensive game reduces his role to the PF spot.

I don't see anyone starting Seraphin over Nene if they are both on the roster. At that point someone becomes expendable.

Nene's contract will probably keep him off the bench.

Unless we get the top pick, I don't see us going the PF/C route because of Seraphin's emergence.

I'm thinking that Beal or MKG have to be the favorites to be our pick.

Nene's contract will probably keep him off the bench.

Unless we get the top pick, I don't see us going the PF/C route because of Seraphin's emergence.

I'm thinking that Beal or MKG have to be the favorites to be our pick.

I agree...if we don't land the #1, I think it's gotta be MKG or Beal. I'm not comfortable with Singleton starting and we desprately need a SG. Seraphin's emergence has been the one silver lining in a HORRIBLE season.

I agree...if we don't land the #1, I think it's gotta be MKG or Beal. I'm not comfortable with Singleton starting and we desprately need a SG. Seraphin's emergence has been the one silver lining in a HORRIBLE season.

Seraphin & Booker's improvement are about the only positives I can take from this season.

I'm not sure why they continue to force start Chris Singleton. Now that his jumper has cooled off, I'm struggling to find something he does right.

We'll be picking 4th, I'd put 1 grand on it.

Either way, we're guaranteed to get Davis, Robinson, MKG, Barnes, Beal or Drummond.

Obviously I have my preferences in this group (right now, MKG). But I think all of them could help us. I mean, if we end up with a chance at Davis or Robinson then I'd think that Seraphin/Booker/Crawfordwould become trade bait to help us get more talent at the 2 or 3. I wouldn't put the 4 as a MUST GET, but if we have a chance to get Davis or Robinson, I'm not going to just pass on it.

Wiz playing and this thread isn't even on the first page. Sad times. That's directed at the team, not you all.

Anyway, I'm not as adamant or committed as McQueen seems to be, but I do agree that Vesely is/will be a quality player. And I think some are selling AK47 short. He was a top 20 player at one point. Maybe even higher.

Wiz playing and this thread isn't even on the first page. Sad times. That's directed at the team, not you all.

Anyway, I'm not as adamant or committed as McQueen seems to be, but I do agree that Vesely is/will be a quality player. And I think some are selling AK47 short. He was a top 20 player at one point. Maybe even higher.

We're suiting up 4 or 5 10-day contract players, its hard to care at this point, although I still watch.

All I ask in these final games is that they not do anything to give Ernie life.

Edited by StillUnknown

I'm watching the Pens/Flyers game.... but they are at intermission, so I'm now watching the Wizards.

Gonna flip over to the O's game in a second tho. See a real winner. LOL. Feels strange saying that...but I'll enjoy it through the end of the week.

O's? Come on dude. Be a DC sports fan. Nats or bust.

Take Drummond if we don't get Davis or MKG. Booker played well before he got hurt. With him healthy next year, we've got three solid front court players plus Vesely and Singleton both play up. Vesely probably gets most of his minutes at PF next year. Having Booker, Seraphin, and Nene means you can take your time with Drummond and develop him properly. Nene will be done by the time Drummond is ready to go. Figure Seraphin eventually becomes the other long term starter, with Booker being the sixth man.

---------- Post added April-18th-2012 at 08:48 PM ----------

Apparently we don't believe in tanking. Look at the other high lotto teams and the way they perform down the stretch. It's disgraceful.

Grew up watching the O's...never jumped ship to the Nats and NEVER will.

William Franklin said the same thing. Who remembers him? We definitely remember his dad though. But this isn't the thread for this.

Anyway, Wiz up 88-81 end of the 3rd. Nene with a good quarter. Vesely 9 points, 10 boards and 3 assists. And Monta Ellis is killing us. On his way to dropping 40.

Also, just saw on the crawl: "Andray Blatche likely done for the season (conditioning)". Lol. Seriously, does anyone remember another NBA player being out for the season because of conditioning? I can't. I know Kemp and Baker and some others blew up and got fat, but I don't recall their teams shutting them down for it. Maybe I'm having a brain fart and am missing someone. If so, let me know.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Take Drummond if we don't get Davis or MKG. Booker played well before he got hurt. With him healthy next year, we've got three solid front court players plus Vesely and Singleton both play up. Vesely probably gets most of his minutes at PF next year. Having Booker, Seraphin, and Nene means you can take your time with Drummond and develop him properly. Nene will be done by the time Drummond is ready to go. Figure Seraphin eventually becomes the other long term starter, with Booker being the sixth man.

If we take Drummond, who is someone who won't contribute much in 2012-13, we'll be lucky to win 25 games next year. And it would be yet ANOTHER frustrating year for this "rebuild." Patience will be running thin. I'd rather draft a rookie like Davis, MKG, or Beal who can step in and start right away.

If we take Drummond, who is someone who won't contribute much in 2012-13, we'll be lucky to win 25 games next year. And it would be yet ANOTHER frustrating year for this "rebuild." Patience will be running thin. I'd rather draft a rookie like Davis, MKG, or Beal who can step in and start right away.

I'd rather draft Davis too, but I doubt we get the first pick. MKG is closer. I'd take him over Drummond because his upside is close enough to Drummond's to make that less of a consideration.

Beal's upside isn't that high. He doesn't really create his own offense and his stock relies on his ability to develop into a transition finisher and a perimeter defender IMO. He's a good athlete with a good NBA body, but without a ton of offensive creativity, he's going to need to become a brilliant defender in order to justify a high draft position. That's a risk and a projection, same as any rookie. Otherwise, what's the difference between him and the myriad other journeyman spot up shooters like Roger Mason or Cartier Martin? He's a brilliant rebounder, but that's pretty far down the list of things you're looking for in a pure 2 guard.

If we want an instant offensive contributor, we should draft Austin Rivers. He's a brilliant offensive player that could come in next season and lead our team in scoring, push Crawford to the bench, and take the scoring burden off of Wall plus draw double teams and get our post players a couple of easy buckets a game. But my problem with Rivers is that he looks like he's always going to be a pathetic defender, and we're already so poor defensively that I'm hesitant to add to the problem. But for scoring, Rivers is definitely the best in the class by a very wide margin.

If we want an all around package with limited upside, Harrison Barnes might even be a better option than Beal since he's taller and can play in the post a bit.

All in all, I think Drummond gets you the best potential option after Davis and MKG go. He's a freak of nature, like a bigger, more finesse version of Dwight when he was 19. He's got the ability to change a franchise and become just a dominant interior presence. He's one of the most physically gifted players to come out in a long time.