Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Oh, all-knowing Steve McQueen...please enlighten me as to what exactly I'm missing here? Thanks.
Yeah prove it. His numbers are so incredibly mediocre and he's doing this on the 2nd worst team in the NBA.

Good rotation player? I can only laugh at that. He's a bad starter on a terrible team. He wouldn't crack the rotation of any legitimate NBA team.

You're not watching games with his super awesome homer glasses. The one which make terrible starters on terrible teams all of a sudden " good at things".

Better to watch the games the way I do then not watch them at all like you Vishal. Apparently you're not watching if you think that about Vesely. Or don't know what you're looking at. Artest, you know basketball fairly well although I think you get knee jerk from time to time. Vishal, you don't. And you are a complete prisoner of the moment.

Vesely is easily the best all around defender on the team. The only ones I could see a case for are Nene and Singleton, but Nene isn't as versatile as Vesely and Singleton isn't as consistent.

Vesely switches well, traps well, knows when to help out, stays in front of perimeter players better thany everyone else except Singleton, protects the rim well, and plays the passing lanes better than everyone else on the team. He's a good, consistent, cognizant defender that does his job well and sticks out like a sore thumb on our team because no one else does. He's got the ability to become a terrific defender in time.

He's also a good rebounder. He has good hands, does a fair job boxing out, understands positioning, hustles, can put it back with a strong finish, and gets a lot of tip outs on the offensive end. Plain and simple, he knows how to play. There is a reason we made him untouchable. His potential and his level of play is much higher than the haters like you and Skin Em Alive in here give him credit for.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

There is a reason we made him untouchable. His potential and his level of play is much higher than the haters like you and Skin Em Alive in here give him credit for.

I still refuse to believe that fluff about Vesely being untouchable. There is nothing about his game or potential that qualifies for him that label.

Please explain to me then, how Luke Harangrody, signed of the D-League, ends up going 16/10 against your "good defender" Vesely.

The numbers speak for themselves. This team sucks with Vesely on the floor.

You can do all the wishy washy stuff you want, I'll stick with the facts. Jan Vesely, at the moment is a bad NBA player. Funny how the only time you use stats is when it accompanies your bull****. When it doesn't, just pull stuff out of your butt. Keep it up steve.

Edited by No Excuses

I am not a believer in players that can't shoot becoming good shooters. If that were easy we'd see it all the time but even bad free throw shooters tend to rarely improve to good. Bad to average? That is more likely. Vesely needs to get stronger and work on short range. His speed and length can make him effective near the basket. I didn't like him drafted for the SF spot and still don't.

Having said that he is a good rotation player and defender off the bench. You want more than a glue guy from the 6th overall pick but that's what we have so far.

He'll never be a creative offensive player not a good ISO scorer. I didn't mean to imply that he could.

But given work, most NBA players become effective spot up shooters that can hit open jumpers from a couple of spots on the floor set up for them by a good pass. I'd say the average NBA shooter can do that.

Aside from that, he'll get points from the pick and roll game and on hustle plays, which should be good enough from a PF.

Free throws are different from shooting from similar range in the offensive flow IMO. They're not subject to the same type of improvement for whatever reason. I think it's psychological. More problems with muscle memory on a long drawn out shot like a FT IMO whereas catching and shooting is one very rapid, automatic process.

---------- Post added April-15th-2012 at 02:26 PM ----------

I still refuse to believe that fluff about Vesely being untouchable. There is nothing about his game or potential that qualifies for him that label.

Believe it or not, that's what a couple NBA insiders said.

---------- Post added April-15th-2012 at 02:28 PM ----------

Please explain to me then, how Luke Harangrody, signed of the D-League, ends up going 16/10 against your "good defender" Vesely.

The numbers speak for themselves. This team sucks with Vesely on the floor.

You can do all the wishy washy stuff you want, I'll stick with the facts. Jan Vesely, at the moment is a bad NBA player. Funny how the only time you use stats is when it accompanies your bull****. When it doesn't, just pull stuff out of your butt. Keep it up steve.

And you ONLY use numbers because you don't know what the hell you're talking about. You generally don't understand what you're seeing on the floor. And you have no sense of perspective.

Time to put you back on ignore.

And you ONLY use numbers because you don't know what the hell you're talking about. You generally don't understand what you're seeing on the floor. And you have no sense of perspective.

Time to put you back on ignore.

:ols:

Reality is a *****. Can't have numbers, records, stats back you up? Make up **** and accuse the other side of not knowing anything. With the way you talk about the players on this team and praise next to every damn move they make, you'd think we were on our way to the playoffs.

Edited by No Excuses

Believe it or not, that's what a couple NBA insiders said.

Then that just signifies Ernie has no clue what he's doing. Vesely at his best will be AK47 (although I don't think he reaches that level). AK47 at his best wasn't an untouchable commodity.

Edited by StillUnknown

I wanted to clarify, I don't see him as being untouchable either, I don't agree with making him untouchable.

I do believe we did it though, Mark Stein has always been a fairly measured and trustworthy source and I don't see why he would make it up.

And I think it illuminates his value some, certainly how the organization perceives his value.

If we did make him untouchable, I think there is something going on outside of games that we're not seeing. There's a lot we don't really know about him yet.

---------- Post added April-15th-2012 at 02:36 PM ----------

Then that just signifies Ernie has no clue what he's doing. Vesely at his best will be AK47. AK47 at his best wasn't an untouchable commodity.

I agree with you. And I actually hope you're right that we didn't seriously make him untouchable because that seems absurd. You can probably count the number of players out there today who are truly untouchable on your fingers.

But even if it's a figure of speech more than a reality, I do think it hints at something special in Vesely that fans aren't giving him credit for. I think he's going to be a good player and can certainly become a valuable player on a good team, either as a starting PF or a rotational forward.

By the way, for those who are interested in facts, instead of nonsense. Here is how Vesely measures, not just the league, but our own bad team.

In defensive rebounding rate, the following players did better than him:

McGee, Booker, Blatche (much better than Jan btw), Seraphin, Chris Singleton.

Offensive rebounding rate:

McGee, Booker, Seraphin

Total rebounding rate:

McGee, Booker, Seraphin, Blatche, Singleton

He has a PER of 9.75 (absolutely terrible). There are (were) nine players in our regular rotation who are better than him on just our own 14-46 team.

He has the highest turnover per possession rate on the entire team.

I'm going to go dig up more later. But compare him to just what is on our team; it's absolutely asinine to suggest he's better than the current players on this team at anything, or that he's good at something at the NBA level. And I'm absolutely not saying that he won't get better. But lets get real about what he is right now.

Edited by No Excuses

Based off how the draft ends up shaking out, we are going to have some very interesting options in free agency. I think it is pretty apparent we still need legitimate starters at SG, SF and PF.

If we get Anthony Davis or Thomas Robinson, I think we should be willing to fork over all our cap dollars for Eric Gordon, who we may be able to get due to his injury this season.

If we get Beal, Barnes or MKG, we should go after Ersan Ilyasova. Ersan is a perfect fit on this team and exactly what we need. Good rebounder, good 3 point shooter and solid defender who is known for hustle. If we get Ersan, we have a stacked frontcourt in:

PF: Ilyasova / Booker / Singleton

C: Nene / Seraphin /

I'd also think hard about giving away Booker as a sweetener to dump Blatche.

After we buyout Lewis, we may then have enough cap space to sign both Ilyasova/Gordon and a solution at SF in Gerald Green, who has been playing fantastic this season and looks like a new, much more mature player vs. his earlier years in the league. We could then go (in a likely scenario):

PG: Wall / Mack / Anthony Carter (min)

SG: Gordon / Crawford / Mason

SF: Green / C. Singleton / C. Martin

PF: T. Robinson / J. Singleton / Vesely

C: Nene / Seraphin / F. Ezeli (2nd rd pick)

Thats a complete team 1-5...could use a better bench but can continue to build on that.

There is a reason we made him untouchable. His potential and his level of play is much higher than the haters like you and Skin Em Alive in here give him credit for.

Hey now, i may hate this current team, most of the players on it, the coaching philosophies, organizational moves, and general overall direction (or lack-there-of). But i have never said anything bad about vesely. No point in arguing over a guy who has zero ability to shoot the ball even after playing a few years in the European leagues where shooting is a premium. Theres too many other problems to talk about to single out just vesely.

Deron Williams:

Deron dishes on D.C.

Deron Williams has admittedly had a frustrating season with the Nets. But it’s nothing compared to what John Wall is going through in Washington, where the Wizards are 14-46. Williams has empathy for the young point guard.

"He’s a had a tough cast down there," Williams said, when asked about Wall by a Washington reporter after Saturday’s loss. "I don’t want to put anybody down, but he’s not playing with the smartest guys. That’s tough, man, that’s tough."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_sports/basketball/nets/147479175_Nets_notes__Deron_dishes_on_D_C_.html?page=all

Three things:

1) People around the league know how bad Wall has it here in DC.

2) We need a top-3 pick in the draft. Wizards HAVE to land Davis, MKG, Robinson, or Beal

3) Williams' comments speak to why this team CAN'T draft Drummond. Not because he's not a smart player....but he's much further away from contributing than the other guys that I mentioned above.

we should go after Ersan Ilyasova. Ersan is a perfect fit on this team and exactly what we need. Good rebounder, good 3 point shooter and solid defender who is known for hustle. If we get Ersan, we have a stacked frontcourt in:

That would be a good fit. Is he UFA or RFA?
I'd also think hard about giving away Booker as a sweetener to dump Blatche.

why would you give away Booker to get rid of Blatche when you could just amnesty Blatche and keep Booker?

Gerald Green, who has been playing fantastic this season and looks like a new, much more mature player vs. his earlier years in the league.

with the lack of talent on this team it made absolutely no sense that we didn't bring in Green this year. Too bad, he is looking like he will reach his potential...finally

The Wiz are -9 with Jan on the court and -8 with him on the bench. :)

http://basketballvalue.com/player.php?year=2011-2012&id=1008

I respect your basketball opinions McQueen. I'm glad Veseley got a nice double double yesterday but I'd have to say overall I'm disappointed with his play as a # 6 pick. He should spend his ENTIRE off season shooting jumpers.

Edited by Rocky21

Gerald Green looks like a more efficient Nick Young from the stats.

I'd really love to bring Brandon Rush in as wing depth this offseason. He is starting to put his game together, is athletic, and can shoot pretty well.

Edited by SuperBash

Am I the only one annoyed when Crawford screams "and-1" after every shot?

Lol, you noticed that too huh? I think it's kinda funny because he never--like NEVER--gets the call.

---------- Post added April-16th-2012 at 09:36 PM ----------

I'm not sure I've ever cared less about a Wiz game

---------- Post added April-16th-2012 at 09:38 PM ----------

Worst offensive foul call in the history of the NBA

Am I the only one annoyed when Crawford screams "and-1" after every shot?

---------- Post added April-16th-2012 at 09:32 PM ----------

For all his faults, Vesely is an advanced flopper.

Not watching the game, but is Crawford doing that to clown Boozer? That's Boozer's MO...yelling "And 1" after EVERY shot.

I'm not sure I've ever cared less about a Wiz game

I must agree with this.

---------- Post added April-16th-2012 at 09:42 PM ----------

Not watching the game, but is Crawford doing that to clown Boozer? That's Boozer's MO...yelling "And 1" after EVERY shot.

He's been doing it most of the season, for some reason, it's really bugged me the last month or so.