Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Also, just saw on the crawl: "Andray Blatche likely done for the season (conditioning)". Lol. Seriously, does anyone remember another NBA player being out for the season because of conditioning?

At Wednesday's shootaround, Blatche told reporters: "I cut my hair. That's five pounds right there."

LOL

Questions: Are we better with Nene at starting center or PF? Seraphin could start at center or come off the bench limiting both his and Nene minutes.

If nene starts at PF are we better trading Booker and signing J Singleton as the back up PF? Alternatively keep both or let JS walk?

Who do we sign at back up center? (draft impacts this). If so who?

Do we keep Cartier Martin this time? We seem to lack ideal SF and SGs without him. Crawford is undersized, Vesely is over sized and can't shoot, Mason is gone, and Lewis will be traded.

Start Nene at PF and Seraphin at C next season. They'll rotate heavily so the lineups will be fluid.

A problem with that lineup is that neither Seraphin nor Nene are consistently good rebounders. Might make sense to start Vesely at SF to mitigate that and add some length to compensate for Seraphin.

I like to think that Stern will reward teams that don't just tank. I guess if the Bobcats "win" it we'll know that's not true.

LOL...I was JUST thinking the same thing this morning. We have the 2nd worst record in the league, but these guys for the most part are playing hard. I'm hoping that Stern at least gives us the #2 overall.

Nene can shoot and has good range plus he's played both PF and C throughout his career. Seraphin has his one spot that he's getting really comfortable in. I say let him keep doing his thing at center next season and worry about expanding his role as his skills and comfort level expand.

---------- Post added April-19th-2012 at 08:07 AM ----------

LOL...I was JUST thinking the same thing this morning. We have the 2nd worst record in the league, but these guys for the most part are playing hard. I'm hoping that Stern at least gives us the #2 overall.

I think if New Jersey or New Orleans wins the lottery, that'll lead to questions. New Orleans is a major conflict of interest because he's technically the shot caller for that franchise. New Jersey's pick is top three protected and they're losing DWill this summer so they'll be rudderless and unappealing right as they move to Brooklyn and try and cement their place in the most important market for the NBA. At the very least, I expect them to pick top 3 to keep that pick. Poor Portland if that happens.

Charlotte "deserves" the pick for the utter ****tiness they came to the table with this season. But I'd rather see the NBA just ****ing contract the thing than see them waste the career of Davis.

Anyway, I'd love to see us win the lotto but I can see Stern thinking "we threw them a bone with Wall, they're done."

I think there are three potential All Star types in this class in Davis, Drummond, and Gilchrist. I'd like to pick top 3 if possible, and we deserve it: we're **** and we play hard.

You know, when you stop and think about it, how messed up is it that there isn't a doubt in our minds that the lottery is rigged and has zero credibility whatsoever? You can't get rid of it because tanking is an atrocious slap in the face to the paying fans everywhere and a black eye for the sport. Who wants to pay to see a game against Charlotte? In any arena? But the incentive to not tank is also tainted when it's clear the thing is rigged. There have to be other ways to encourage teams not to tank.

Questions: Are we better with Nene at starting center or PF? Seraphin could start at center or come off the bench limiting both his and Nene minutes.

If nene starts at PF are we better trading Booker and signing J Singleton as the back up PF? Alternatively keep both or let JS walk?

Who do we sign at back up center? (draft impacts this). If so who?

Do we keep Cartier Martin this time? We seem to lack ideal SF and SGs without him. Crawford is undersized, Vesely is over sized and can't shoot, Mason is gone, and Lewis will be traded.

Didn't Nene (when he was in Denver) express his interest in playing the 4? If that's the case, I'd be fine with having Seraphin at the 5 and Nene at the 4 next season.

If Nene starts at the 4, we absolutely HAVE to retain Booker (good asset off the bench) and keep singleton around for vet leadership. Remember, Blatche played his best basketball of his career under Singleton's watch. Also, as brittle as Nene is, having depth at the 4 would be ideal.

As far as back up at the 5, what do you all think about a low risk/high reward signing of Greg Oden?

Also, I think you have to keep Cartier Martin around for the time being....his shooting is an asset and it's something that this team really needs.

---------- Post added April-19th-2012 at 08:23 AM ----------

Nene can shoot and has good range plus he's played both PF and C throughout his career. Seraphin has his one spot that he's getting really comfortable in. I say let him keep doing his thing at center next season and worry about expanding his role as his skills and comfort level expand.

---------- Post added April-19th-2012 at 08:07 AM ----------

I think if New Jersey or New Orleans wins the lottery, that'll lead to questions. New Orleans is a major conflict of interest because he's technically the shot caller for that franchise. New Jersey's pick is top three protected and they're losing DWill this summer so they'll be rudderless and unappealing right as they move to Brooklyn and try and cement their place in the most important market for the NBA. At the very least, I expect them to pick top 3 to keep that pick. Poor Portland if that happens.

Charlotte "deserves" the pick for the utter ****tiness they came to the table with this season. But I'd rather see the NBA just ****ing contract the thing than see them waste the career of Davis.

Anyway, I'd love to see us win the lotto but I can see Stern thinking "we threw them a bone with Wall, they're done."

I think there are three potential All Star types in this class in Davis, Drummond, and Gilchrist. I'd like to pick top 3 if possible, and we deserve it: we're **** and we play hard.

You know, when you stop and think about it, how messed up is it that there isn't a doubt in our minds that the lottery is rigged and has zero credibility whatsoever? You can't get rid of it because tanking is an atrocious slap in the face to the paying fans everywhere and a black eye for the sport. Who wants to pay to see a game against Charlotte? In any arena? But the incentive to not tank is also tainted when it's clear the thing is rigged. There have to be other ways to encourage teams not to tank.

I know, right? I think it all started back w. Patrick Ewing draft back in the day...where the rumor was there was a frozen envelope that determined the #1 pick, which went to the Knicks. Like you said (and I agree), I don't want to see Anthony Davis waste away in Charlotte. That team is awful and has NO direction. The #1 overall pick isn't going to change things. On top of it all, and not surprisingly, people are questioning Michael Jordan's commitment to running that team. It's a mess. My gut feeling is that NO will get the #1 overall, and we'll get the #2, followed by Charlotte.

*Edit*

James Harden. That's all.

Edited by RonArtest15

Is there any better way to build a contender than the way the Spurs did it? Get a dominant big man then draft amazing complementary pieces.

Unfortunately, that's lot easier said then actually done. I mean Tim Duncan's are pretty rare. And being in a position to draft one is even rarer.

I'm torn on the lottery. On one hand, if your team legitimately sucks--like we do--then we should be getting whatever draft pick we deserve. How else will we improve? On the other hand, I see teams like Charlotte and I think, "why the **** should they be rewarded for tanking?" I mean I understand the logic behind it, it just sucks if your team really is THAT bad.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Unfortunately, that's lot easier said then actually done. I mean Tim Duncan's are pretty rare. And being in a position to draft one is even rarer.

I'm torn on the lottery. On one hand, if your team legitimately sucks--like we do--then we should be getting whatever draft pick we deserve. How else will we improve? On the other hand, I see teams like Charlotte and I think, "why the **** should they be rewarded for tanking?" I mean I understand the logic behind it, it just sucks if your team really is THAT bad.

The only conflict I have with the lottery is that it exists at all. Worst team should get the first pick, period.

We are 3 games away from New Orleans' win total with 4 games to go.

If we **** this up with winning down the stretch, I'll be so pissed.

It could happen.We play Cleveland, Charlotte, & Miami twice. It wouldn't shock me if Miami rested the big 3 each game.

We could win all 4, get shafted by Stern, and Ted will extend Ernie based on meaningless positive momentum to end the season........and the curse will live on.

Edited by StillUnknown

The only conflict I have with the lottery is that it exists at all. Worst team should get the first pick, period.

Too many games in the season and ticket prices are too high for that to be fair IMO. It works in football because the season because the games are rare and there is always more at stake each game. People are happy to get tickets to a Redskins game late in the year even if we suck that year because it's an event.

Tanking is a serious problem for the sport and kills fan interest league wide. Fans of good teams don't want to pay a premium to go see their team wipe the floor with some uncompetitive team that's given up and is playing for draft position.

The problem is that the lottery hasn't prevented tanking for lots of teams. How can it be prevented? The NBA needs to do more.

And the lottery needs more credibility.

****ing Wizards.

---------- Post added April-20th-2012 at 01:58 AM ----------

The good news is that our "team" is much better right now than it's record might indicate and would easily beat the team we fielded at the beginning of the season. I mean, Seraphin/Nene/Singleton would wipe the floor with McGee/Baltche/Lewis.

I agree with you. This team is better long term view than it's record.

Our record is horrible because we went young and young rarely wins.

But Seraphin, Booker, Crawford, Vesely, Mack. That's a 5-10 comprised of good players long term that few organizations can match in quality.

BUT, their quality hasn't translated into wins because:

1.) Young doesn't win in such a dynamic game. Savvy and experience almost always determine the outcome in the iffy situations that tend to separate wins from losses in NBA games.

2.) We're still lacking complete players at our 2-4 starting positions and the guys we have on the roster aren't likely to develop complete games.

I think a team can be very high quality with limited players starting in one or two spots. But we've got somewhat limited players starting in all spots.

Nene is our most skilled player but he's not a dynamic above the rim player and he is a mediocre rebounder for his position, plus he gets hurt for stretches every year.

John is our most dynamic player and has the best raw skillset at the position in the league but he's still more athlete than player at this point and hasn't demonstrated the ability to carry a team to wins on his back so far.

We need quality over quantity now. We very badly need one or two more dynamic starters that are either top notch all around players at the 2-4 positions or project to be top notch complete players at those positions (for draft picks). Or we need players at those positions who are so masterful in one or two areas that they cover up net roster defficiencies in those areas in which they excel.

For instance, Davis is so masterful at defense that he could almost single handedly transform us into a good defensive team. Rivers is so masterful at offense that he could immediately increase our scoring and give us a potent offensive weapon that would work against almost anyone.

OR, we could get someone like Drummond or MKG who project as special all around offensive and defensive players that could feature a complete skillset at their positions down the line. A guy like MKG could do wonders. He projects as a top notch defender of the 1-4 positions who can get to the rim, pass, and rebound. Drummond is a dominating physical force in the middle of the court who could shove around and stifle offensive bigs one day plus completely overpower and outclass them on the other, offensive end of the court.

So we're essentially locked into the 2nd worst record now with four games left. New Orleans going 7-3 over their last 10 games and the Wizards losing to the Cavs really helped out.

Bobcats 7-54 (.115)

Wizards 16-46 (.258)

Hornets 20-43 (.317)

Kings 20-42 (.323)

Cavaliers 20-41 (.328)

Raptors 22-41 (.349)

Warriors 22-39 (.361)

If the Wizards win the next four and the Hornets, Kinds, and Cavs lose every remaining game on the schedule there would be a 4 way tie in terms of record. In order for that to happen however the Wiz need to win all of these:

@Miami

Charlotte

@Cleveland

Miami

So we'd need to beat the Heat... twice. :ols:

Edited by Destino

Catching the Kings and Cavs is more likely than New Orleans that has gone 7-3. Personally I think the 2nd spot is sealed up with the next game. We aren't beating the Heat in Miami. Not while the Heat are a game back of Chicago and Lebron is trying to get that MVP award. Heat are not going to rest with home court advantage on the line.

Edit: Cavs won today. King and Hornets remain.

Edited by Destino

Catching the Kings and Cavs is more likely than New Orleans that has gone 7-3. Personally I think the 2nd spot is sealed up with the next game. We aren't beating the Heat in Miami. Not while the Heat are a game back of Chicago and Lebron is trying to get that MVP award. Heat are not going to rest with home court advantage on the line.

Edit: Cavs won today. King and Hornets remain.

Michael Lee

‏ @MrMichaelLee

Heat Coach Erik Spoelstra said "everybody is a game-time" decision vs. #wizards. LeBron James said he's cool if Spo gives him a rest.

They're under the impression they can beat us with the "D" lineup.