Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

You are all fooling yourselves if you think getting rid of the "knuckleheads" is going to make any difference.

This franchise is absolutely abysmal talent wise. It will stay just like this because of the culture they've developed.

Answer me this: who is the leader of this team?

It's not John Wall. I can tell you that at least.

This team is lacking in everything: leadership, coaching, front office, talent. You name it, they don't have it.

Adding Nene is such a typical fluff move.

Welcome to the NBA. All Stars win. Everyone else fails. Cleveland Cavaliers felt the same way until they got Lebron.

Other than the Detroit Bullets/Wizards Pistons championship, I don't know of any NBA teams winning championships without a top 5 player.

Welcome to the NBA. All Stars win. Everyone else fails. Cleveland Cavaliers felt the same way until they got Lebron.

Other than the Detroit Bullets/Wizards Pistons championship, I don't know of any NBA teams winning championships without a top 5 player.

**** the championship. This team isn't even worthy of being the 8th seed for a long time.

It's not hard being a middle of the pack NBA franchise. Somehow this team has convinced its fan base that bottoming out this badly is acceptable.

Losers make excuses. We went from Eddie Jordan, to Gilbert, to McGee and the cycle will go on and on. They'll find a scape goat to punt out of town but the real guy who needs the boot will continue to be employed.

Edited by No Excuses

**** the championship. This team isn't even worthy of being the 8th seed for a long time.

It's not hard being a middle of the pack NBA franchise. Somehow this team has convinced its fan base that bottoming out this badly is acceptable.

Know your history.

Abe dying.

Abe want championship and Abe want cash.

GM tries to build team to win now.

Team fails.

Leonsis takes over. Tells GM to dump salary and collect draft picks.

Team built to REBUILD moving forward.

The team was built for the owners desires.

Know your history.

Abe dying.

Abe want championship and Abe want cash.

GM tries to build team to win now.

Team fails.

Leonsis takes over. Tells GM to dump salary and collect draft picks.

Team built to REBUILD moving forward.

The team was built for the owners desires.

I am so sick of this excuse. Abe Pollin did not force Ernie Grunfeld to trade the fifth overall pick for Mike f'in Miller.

You know who else was traded for the fifth overall pick? Ray Allen. Our GM got us Mike Miller.

Crafty GM's get **** done. Ernie is the master of the safe but almost always stupid move.

Ted did not tell Ernie to build the most flawed roster in the history of this franchise either. Young's team generally lose anyways. Here's a concept: it's entirely OK to build a young team with varied skill sets instead of going out and getting the same type of player at every damn position. Ernie had a history of building soft teams so he's rebuilding this team by getting tough guys. Except these tough guys can't do crap on offense.

Edited by No Excuses

Yes you are right. But that is not an excuse for not being competitive. And also, Lebron is like the best player in the NBA, and has been arguably since he arrived in the NBA. Cant compare to him. We have had 2 seasons to surround Wall with talent and have not only dropped the ball. We got worse. We have spent 2 years of picks on players who do not know how to shoot the ball outside of 3 feet! Brought in only 1 player who has contributed, and gotten rid of a coach (soon to be 2 ). Next year the game plan will be different with a different coach, so im already ready for those excuses, when in reality its because this team has been built, managed, and culminated piss poorly.

This is the thing that irritates me the most. We completely destroyed his value. He was easily the 2nd most talented player on our team, and a very productive NBA center. Yet we treated him like complete garbage.

We simply don't know how to manage talent. It is why we are a third rate franchise.

Did he win the starting job in Denver? He might have I know the fans wanted him starting... And he outplayed Noah tonight.

I am so sick of this excuse. Abe Pollin did not force Ernie Grunfeld to trade the fifth overall pick for Mike f'in Miller.

You know who else was traded for the fifth overall pick? Ray Allen. Our GM got us Mike Miller.

Crafty GM's get **** done. Ernie is the master of the safe but almost always stupid move.

Ted did not tell Ernie to build the most flawed roster in the history of this franchise either. Young's team generally lose anyways. Here's a concept: it's entirely OK to build a young team with varied skill sets instead of going out and getting the same type of player at every damn position. Ernie had a history of building soft teams so he's rebuilding this team by getting tough guys. Except these tough guys can't do crap on offense.

Your right, Ted probably thought we wouldn't be the most flawed.

But he did tell him he preferred draft picks and a house cleaning.

No, you all are kidding yourselves if you think McGee was ever going to get better here. McGee brought his problems on himself with constant stupid and inconsistent play. The locker room situation was toxic and everyone, I mean EVERYONE who has seen the before and after and is approaching the situation with any sort of objectivity, understands the team chemistry is much, much better now.

It was the first thing Stan Love mentioned in regards to the team. We've lost several close games against some pretty good teams that have come down to the wire--games that this team will eventually learn to close out. You don't go from horrible to winning just like that. You have to learn how to win first. The difference is now the team has actually started that learning process when before they were stuck in neutral and going nowhere.

GACOLB is right. If you don't see that then you don't get it.

---------- Post added March-27th-2012 at 12:01 AM ----------

Yes you are right. But that is not an excuse for not being competitive. And also' date=' Lebron is like the best player in the NBA, and has been arguably since he arrived in the NBA. Cant compare to him. We have had 2 seasons to surround Wall with talent and have not only dropped the ball. We got worse. We have spent 2 years of picks on players who do not know how to shoot the ball outside of 3 feet! Brought in only 1 player who has contributed, and gotten rid of a coach (soon to be 2 ). Next year the game plan will be different with a different coach, so im already ready for those excuses, when in reality its because this team has been built, managed, and culminated piss poorly.[/quote']

LeBron was not the best player in the NBA when he arrived. It took him several years to get as good as he is now offensively, and even longer to get as good as he is defensively. LeBron was a crap defender when he came into the league.

Are people watching the same team as I am? Yeah, we may not have won more games that we average on the year since the trade, but we're playing appreciatively better basketball.

5/8 teams we've played are playoff teams AND we've played 2 back to backs as well as a BACK TO BACK TO BACK stretch of games. All but two of which were competitive games.

Far be it to me to be an apologist for this team, but Christ. Yeah, they're not that talented. I said that the trade likely won't have a huge impact on our win/loss this season, but if you can't see we're playing a better brand of basketball in a ridiculous 10 day schedule than I don't know what to say.

Edited by MonkFan8

Did he win the starting job in Denver? He might have I know the fans wanted him starting... And he outplayed Noah tonight.

Yup he's starting for Denver now. And he played well again tonight.

There are things he does well on the court, and things that he does bad. Everyone, front office and fans, focused on the bad plays.

But every time Javale bailed out our pathetic perimeter defenders, or covered for the sorry ass, fat and lazy PF, it went unnoticed. He came into the season with a well develoepd hook shot but nobody cared. Nobody even bothered to appreciate that he came in great shape either.

Ernie needed a scapegoat, simple as that. Three years ago it was Eddie Jordan. Then it was Gilbert. Then it was Flip Saunders. Then it was McGee. I wonder who it will be next year.

I don't even care that they soured on Javale. But they destroyed his trade value completely.

Edited by No Excuses

Actually you can go from horrible to winning just like that. In the NFL, no you cant. But in basketball you can. A good step to avoid sucking year in and year out is to accumulate a team that is either a great scoring team, a great defending team, or a great balanced team. We have a decent defense with no offense, and no one on this roster save for *maybe* booker has any offensive upside to me.

---------- Post added March-27th-2012 at 12:19 AM ----------

But every time Javale bailed out our pathetic perimeter defenders, or covered for the sorry ass, fat and lazy PF, it went unnoticed. He came into the season with a well develoepd hook shot but nobody cared. Nobody even bothered to appreciate that he came in great shape either.

Ernie needed a scapegoat, simple as that. Three years ago it was Eddie Jordan. Then it was Gilbert. Then it was Flip Saunders. Then it was McGee. I wonder who it will be next year.

AMEN. How did no one else even notice this? He was the only guy who came into the season better than before. This includes street ball Wall. ( thank god he turned it around mid-season )

Actually you can go from horrible to winning just like that. In the NFL' date=' no you cant. But in basketball you can. A good step to avoid sucking year in and year out is to accumulate a team that is either a great scoring team, a great defending team, or a great balanced team. We have a decent defense with no offense, and no one on this roster save for *maybe* booker has any offensive upside to me.

---------- Post added March-27th-2012 at 12:19 AM ----------

AMEN. How did no one else even notice this? He was the only guy who came into the season better than before. This includes street ball Wall. ( thank god he turned it around mid-season )

Which teams have gone from horrible to winning? Name them.

I don't even care that they soured on Javale. But they destroyed his trade value completely.

Yeah, because he was so wrong about those moves :ols:

Gilbert finally gets off his couch this week and EJ is still coaching high school ball, right?

Javale and his bottom 5 on/off differential combined with his hilariously boneheaded plays did a fine job of killing his own value. He'll be a solid contributor on an up tempo team that plays 0 defense where he is the 4th option. That wasn't going to be the Wizards and certainly isn't worth the 14 mil he wants.

Before you accuse me of being an Ernie apologist, I'd love to see him fired. But saying he's scapegoating these boneheads is so out of touch with the reality of the situation it's amazing.

Edited by MonkFan8

Yeah, because he was so wrong about those moves :ols:

Gilbert finally gets off his couch this week and EJ is still coaching high school ball, right?

Javale and his bottom 5 on/off differential combined with his hilariously boneheaded plays did a fine job of killing his own value. He'll be a solid contributor on an up tempo team that plays 0 defense where he is the 4th option. That wasn't going to be the Wizards and certainly isn't worth the 14 mil he wants.

Before you accuse me of being an Ernie apologist, I'd love to see him fired. But saying he's scapegoating these boneheads is so out of touch with the reality of the situation it's amazing.

They were scapegoats because the real culprit kept his job and passed of the blame on others.

Also +/- is real laughable stat. Javale is a productive NBA center, who will play well in the NBA for his entire career. You are doing exactly what everyone else did; ignore the good and just focus on the bad. It's too bad some of you get fooled by the same short term roo-rah of this dumb GM.

Ernie will make a bad move. Fans will love it in the short term. Two years from now, you'll all realize once again that you got duped.

Edited by No Excuses

They were scapegoats because the real culprit kept his job and passed of the blame on others.
Ernie needs to be fired for the simple fact that he foolhardily thought you can build a team based on athletic ability potential and not brains. He seems to have finally understood that based on the past 2 drafts and trades, but too little too late. You call it scapegoating, I call it a much needed cleansing.
Also +/- is real laughable stat. Javale is a productive NBA center, who will play well in the NBA for his entire career. You are doing exactly what everyone else did; ignore the good and just focus on the bad. It's too bad some of you get fooled by the same short term roo-rah of this dumb GM.

Where did I say anything about +/-? You're right, it's an awful stat. I'm talking about on/off differential, which goes to your ridiculous point that somehow McGee has been victimized by his teammates. The team played significantly better (4th worst rating in the entire league) when he wasn't on the court.

Ernie will make a bad move. Fans will love it in the short term. Two years from now, you'll all realize once again that you got duped.
You post on here like you have some crystal ball.

Yup he's starting for Denver now. And he played well again tonight.

There are things he does well on the court, and things that he does bad. Everyone, front office and fans, focused on the bad plays.

I agree 100% with every word. When watching last nights game Knight got to the paint at will hell him and Stucky, even if they don't get the shot they pull the bigs out the middle or break down the defense and someone is left open. Saraphin let me tell you has been great on offense I thought he was worthless but he shows he has some game he doesn't have the off man defense that Javale has, Man too man hes better.

John Wall hasn't been shooting well but I like the command he has shown in the offense hes calling his own number hes calling others number and not just defering too Nick Young or Jordan every other play. Hes struggling with his shot now but its going too pay off in the future once he starts nailing some of these shots. This team needs a small forward BAD BAD BAD we need too go SF first round even though we drafted Vess and Singleton. We also need a PF because we are so undersized there but Booker has been pretty good.

I like Michael Kidd Gilcrist hes aggressive and a play maker I here he needs too to work on his shot which we need the most for the SF position but man hes a difference maker.

This is the thing that irritates me the most. We completely destroyed his value. He was easily the 2nd most talented player on our team, and a very productive NBA center. Yet we treated him like complete garbage.

We simply don't know how to manage talent. It is why we are a third rate franchise.

Dude, Javale was a national joke. Nobody did that to him but himself.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Dude, Javale was a national joke. Nobody did that to him but himself.

Your own coaching staff not having your back doesn't help either.

The level of criticism for bad play was definitely inconsistent. Javale isn't the only one making dumb plays on this team.

Why is it that so many people want to play the role of Javale McGee's mother and make excuses for him being an utter joke of a basketball player?

He is by no means a "productive NBA center" - he's so bad defensively and is a non-factor offensively (oh wow he scores somewhat okay on a team with no offensive options outside Wall, hurray!), and even though he played well against Noah and the Bulls, before that his team gave up 115 points to the Detroit Pistons.

Here's my thing with McGee and has always been my thing: If your parents are pro basketball players and you're 24 years old and STILL don't get it, why in the world would anyone thing he's EVER going to get it? He's not. He's an idiot. He's a bum. He's a joke. He will always be that. Lock of the century.

As for coaches not supporting him, I'm sure they saw that it was useless. Why waste time on him?

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.