Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

You can't put McAdoo and Duncan in the same sentence. Duncan left WF as one of the most polished bigs in the history of college hoops. Not to mention that as a Freshman, he was absolutely dominant. There is no comparison between the two. As a matter of fact, I don't even know where you came up with the "tim duncan school of bigs that know how to play." LOLOL. McAdoo has upside. I'll give you that. However, saying he's a better prospect over Barnes/Henson is a bit silly. FWIW, McAdoo is a top5 pick next year because of the drop off in talent between the 2012 class and the 2013 class. There's a reason why everyone thinks Moe Harkless would be a lock for the lottery next year, and is a fringe 1st rounder this year.

First off, I wasn't comparing McAdoo to Duncan directly. You're creating a straw man. I was saying he comes from a similar mold.

Duncan played all four years, something that will never happen again with a player of his caliber. His "most polished big in the history of college BB" will never change because of that. McAdoo is just a smooth player with a lot of Duncan in him. He's form over flash, has a similar low key personality, and a classic PF skill set.

Also, I'm not even sure a freshman Tim Duncan gets much burn on this UNC team. It's one of the most talented NCAA teams ever assembled. It could have four lottery picks and six first round picks this year if McAdoo, Marshall, and Hairston all declare.

Mark my words, if guys like McAdoo and Zeller go back to school, the top of next year's class will be better and more successful than this year's. This class has two upper echelon prospects, then a big dropoff yet wide depth of very good, but not great prospects.

Give McAdoo and Zeller a year to fill out and get burn, then they're probably better, more complete prospects than MKG and Davis. That's not even accounting for Shabazz Muhammad and Nerlens Noel, where there is very little dropoff from Davis to Noel and there is basically no one in this class like Muhammad. This year you'll probably see someone like Jared Sullinger go in the top five.

You're straight up wrong about McAdoo, Barnes, and Henson. My sister is from Chapel Hill and her boyfriend is an alum, UNC is the program I follow the closest and have the best pulse of aside from Richmond and VCU. I've been talking about and watching Barnes for two years just about, I feel like I've seen the full spectrum with him and figured out what he can do. Barnes is overrated, Henson is slightly underrated, and McAdoo is extremely underrated. McAdoo has most of Barnes's skills, better interior scoring skills, is a better ball handler, can play PF in the NBA, and is a much better athlete with a better body. He's a better long term prospect than Barnes is. I want to remember this issue and revisit it in a few years to see who ended up being the better prospect because I'm pretty confident it's going to be McAdoo.

---------- Post added March-28th-2012 at 09:43 PM ----------

Any thoughts on Jeremy Lamb?

Too much NY in him for my liking.

First off, I wasn't comparing McAdoo to Duncan directly. You're creating a straw man. I was saying he comes from a similar mold.

Duncan played all four years, something that will never happen again with a player of his caliber. His "most polished big in the history of college BB" will never change because of that. McAdoo is just a smooth player with a lot of Duncan in him. He's form over flash, has a similar low key personality, and a classic PF skill set.

Also, I'm not even sure a freshman Tim Duncan gets much burn on this UNC team. It's one of the most talented NCAA teams ever assembled. It could have four lottery picks and six first round picks this year if McAdoo, Marshall, and Hairston all declare.

Mark my words, if guys like McAdoo and Zeller go back to school, the top of next year's class will be better and more successful than this year's. This class has two upper echelon prospects, then a big dropoff yet wide depth of very good, but not great prospects.

Give McAdoo and Zeller a year to fill out and get burn, then they're probably better, more complete prospects than MKG and Davis. That's not even accounting for Shabazz Muhammad and Nerlens Noel, where there is very little dropoff from Davis to Noel and there is basically no one in this class like Muhammad. This year you'll probably see someone like Jared Sullinger go in the top five.

You're straight up wrong about McAdoo, Barnes, and Henson. My sister is from Chapel Hill and her boyfriend is an alum, UNC is the program I follow the closest and have the best pulse of aside from Richmond and VCU. I've been talking about and watching Barnes for two years just about, I feel like I've seen the full spectrum with him and figured out what he can do. Barnes is overrated, Henson is slightly underrated, and McAdoo is extremely underrated. McAdoo has most of Barnes's skills, better interior scoring skills, is a better ball handler, can play PF in the NBA, and is a much better athlete with a better body. He's a better long term prospect than Barnes is. I want to remember this issue and revisit it in a few years to see who ended up being the better prospect because I'm pretty confident it's going to be McAdoo.

---------- Post added March-28th-2012 at 09:43 PM ----------

Too much NY in him for my liking.

Dude, you're insane. LOL.

Duncan averaged close to a double-double to go with around 4bpg as a freshman...but somehow he wouldn't get burn on the current UNC team???? WHAT!!!????!!! I don't know how good your memory is of Tim Duncan at WF, especially as a frosh, but you're way off base. I seriously question how much you remember or watched of Duncan back in 93' seeing that you were probably 6/7 years old. This guy from the jump was one of the best defensive players to ever play college basketball. It was evident as a FRESHMAN.

McAdoo needs another year at UNC, and whatever team that takes him this year is going to have a major project on their hands. He's not someone who is going to step in and contribute right away. PLEASE re-visit this thread in a couple of years to compare how he's doing to the likes of both Barnes/Henson.

Duncan averaged close to a double-double to go with around 4bpg as a freshman...but somehow he wouldn't get burn on the current UNC team???? WHAT!!!????!!! I don't know how good your memory is of Tim Duncan at WF, especially as a frosh, but you're way off base. I seriously question how much you remember or watched of Duncan back in 93' seeing that you were probably 6/7 years old. This guy from the jump was one of the best defensive players to ever play college basketball. It was evident as a FRESHMAN.

By the time Duncan was ready to play pro ball he was a coach's dream, destined to win a title. I don't know how many players coming out right now can say that but I'm gonna have a stab.

Zero...point...zero.

McAdoo needs another year at UNC, and whatever team that takes him this year is going to have a major project on their hands. He's not someone who is going to step in and contribute right away. PLEASE re-visit this thread in a couple of years to compare how he's doing to the likes of both Barnes/Henson.

Once again, you're pretty much making a straw man here. You chose to focus on what was essentially a throwaway part of my post, the least important part, that was more a comment on how stacked this UNC team was than anything negative about Duncan himself (who was my favorite player growing up). Then you ignored the rest, which was about McAdoo.

Sig bet that if McAdoo ends up going back to school, he gets drafted higher than Barnes?

Separate bet that McAdoo ends up being the far better NBA player?

Once again, you're pretty much making a straw man here. You chose to focus on what was essentially a throwaway part of my post, the least important part, that was more a comment on how stacked this UNC team was than anything negative about Duncan himself (who was my favorite player growing up). Then you ignored the rest, which was about McAdoo.

Sig bet that if McAdoo ends up going back to school, he gets drafted higher than Barnes?

Separate bet that McAdoo ends up being the far better NBA player?

A throwaway, but you still felt inclined to include it in what you typed....I commented on something YOU said, but I'm the one making a strawman. OK. I don't think you realize how insane your comment was. It's fine and dandy that Duncan was your favorite player growing up, but I still question how much you saw him play while at WF. A man who made the 50th Anniversary All ACC-Team would somehow have a hard time cracking the lineup for the current tar heels team. LOL. Hilarious.

As far as your "bets," I couldn't give two turds about a sig bet.....if McAdoo goes higher than Barnes, you can tell me I was wrong. If McAdoo somehow has a better career than Barnes, you can also tell me that I was wrong. And I'll do the same for you.

If Tim Duncan couldn't play for this unc "all-star" team then how the hell did they lose. Robinson is better than all of the unc starting 5 and Robinson couldnt hold Timmy jock at wf. Your unc bias is like a skins bias to devin Thomas and da comb. By that I mean get real.

A throwaway, but you still felt inclined to include it in what you typed....I commented on something YOU said, but I'm the one making a strawman. OK. I don't think you realize how insane your comment was. It's fine and dandy that Duncan was your favorite player growing up, but I still question how much you saw him play while at WF. A man who made the 50th Anniversary All ACC-Team would somehow have a hard time cracking the lineup for the current tar heels team. LOL. Hilarious.

As far as your "bets," I couldn't give two turds about a sig bet.....if McAdoo goes higher than Barnes, you can tell me I was wrong. If McAdoo somehow has a better career than Barnes, you can also tell me that I was wrong. And I'll do the same for you.

Straw man gets thrown around a lot here, often incorrectly.

But in your response to my McAdoo posts, you give a clear example of the tactic: attributing the weakest argument to the opposing side. In argumentation, the standardly held course is to attribute the strongest arguments to the opposing side in order to make a productive examination. It's par for the course at ES, I only know a few posters who don't really do it. Imperium for an example.

I never said McAdoo was an equal prospect to Tim Duncan and yet you assumed I did and railed against that rather than address any other claim in my post--creating a straw man to fight.

I was mostly joking when I said that TD wouldn't get much PT on UNC, using the statement as an illustration of how crazy it is that UNC could have six first round picks this year if they all declared, with four or five of them going in the lottery. You took it absolutely literally, created the straw man to fight, and pretty much ignored all of the rest of the post to hone in on one thing you felt like you could attack.

It's not a lot of fun to argue with someone who does this.

So I'm going to be petty if I'm right about McAdoo versus Barnes and bring it back up. Kind of like how I'm going to do about the Carmelo thing and the quality of NY's roster if it keeps working like it has recently ;).

---------- Post added March-29th-2012 at 10:14 AM ----------

If Tim Duncan couldn't play for this unc "all-star" team then how the hell did they lose. Robinson is better than all of the unc starting 5 and Robinson couldnt hold Timmy jock at wf. Your unc bias is like a skins bias to devin Thomas and da comb. By that I mean get real.

First off, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Also, I think it's pretty clear UNC's tourney run was doomed after Kendall Marshall went down.

Also, FWIW, I have fairly vivid memories of TD at Wake. I remember sitting on the floor at my grandfather's house and watching him play in the ACC championship game against Georgia Tech like it was yesterday. I remember going to basketball camp in the summer and being taught by one of the Wake assistants who worked with TD one on one. He taught us how to power dribble like TD, and how to do his sky hook. I remember feeling like crap after watching them lose to Stanford in the tourney, and how nasty Brevin Knight was back then.

Last night, McGee threw down a HUGE dunk while his team got smashed by their opponent (Raptors). That situation sounds all too familiar...

Actually his dunk put the Nuggets up 73-67 and came off of a steal:

Edited by Destino

Actually his dunk put the Nuggets up 73-67 and came off of a steal:

The idea of McGee getting a highlight reel play and his team losing by a good deal and not showing up in the 4th quarter is where I'm going with this. That 73-67 lead means nothing.

Straw man gets thrown around a lot here, often incorrectly.

But in your response to my McAdoo posts, you give a clear example of the tactic: attributing the weakest argument to the opposing side. In argumentation, the standardly held course is to attribute the strongest arguments to the opposing side in order to make a productive examination. It's par for the course at ES, I only know a few posters who don't really do it. Imperium for an example.

I never said McAdoo was an equal prospect to Tim Duncan and yet you assumed I did and railed against that rather than address any other claim in my post--creating a straw man to fight.

I was mostly joking when I said that TD wouldn't get much PT on UNC, using the statement as an illustration of how crazy it is that UNC could have six first round picks this year if they all declared, with four or five of them going in the lottery. You took it absolutely literally, created the straw man to fight, and pretty much ignored all of the rest of the post to hone in on one thing you felt like you could attack.

It's not a lot of fun to argue with someone who does this.

So I'm going to be petty if I'm right about McAdoo versus Barnes and bring it back up. Kind of like how I'm going to do about the Carmelo thing and the quality of NY's roster if it keeps working like it has recently ;).

---------- Post added March-29th-2012 at 10:14 AM ----------

First off, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Also, I think it's pretty clear UNC's tourney run was doomed after Kendall Marshall went down.

LOL @ you saying "mostly joking."

Hard to tell from your post...but if it makes you sleep better at night knowing YOU were the only one who saw the "humor" in that, then so be it. I have a hard time believing that you were kidding at all. I think it's more naivety and your failure to at least admit that you were wrong.

here's your other quote:

He's probably got the most advanced offensive skills of any of the potential PFs in this class other than Sullinger. He's from the Tim Duncan school of bigs that just know how to play.

Of ALL players, you come up with Tim Duncan. This kid is as RAW as they come, but yet he's from the Tim Duncan school of bigs that know how to play. C'mon son.

and FWIW, I didn't ignore what you said, because I CLEARLY addressed your point about him being a lottery pick next year vs. 2012.

As far as Melo...you can puff your chest out all your want, but he's been garbage this entire season. NOW is the time for him to put the team on his back and try to get them from being a fringe playoff team. This pairing will never work and at their best they'll be no better than Atlanta at their peak. You can drink the Melo kool-aid all you want, but I'm sorry....they'll NEVER sniff the ECF with Melo/STAT on the roster and with Dolan at the helm.

Edited by RonArtest15

The idea of McGee getting a highlight reel play and his team losing by a good deal and not showing up in the 4th quarter is where I'm going with this. That 73-67 lead means nothing.

OK McGee gets a highlight when his team was ahead, on a damn good play. How does that have anything to do with the outcome of the game again?

Here is the recap from Denver Stiffs (The nuggets sbnation site):

That stretch in the third with just 1:46 left was an absolute killer for Denver. With Mozgov anchoring the middle and Harrington trying to once again play out of position at the power forward spot, the Nuggets failed to rebound as a team and gave up a 85-79 lead and just looked flat. That flat performance stuck with the team, even as new players were shuffled in and out of the lineup.

Karl's crunch-time squad of Lawson, Miller, Afflalo, Chandler, and Harrington had no idea how to attack the Raptors defense and went into straight jump-shooting mode ... outside of two Afflalo missed layups - one of which he has to learn to dunk to get the calls he wants

You are right though that does sound familiar. McGee on the bench while the team plays small ball apparently deciding to close the game as a bad jump shooting team. I definitely remember that watching the Wizards do that a few time. McGee played just 2:22 of the 4th quarter. Clearly he is to blame.

Edited by Destino

If Calderon gets position and gets the charging call, we're all laughing at McGee again. We've see that coast-to-coast drive from McGee entirely too much with NO success. I'll chalk his posterization of Calderon last night as a fluke more than anything.

What you're describing is the essence of sports. I like to say "It's only a mistake if you miss" and that's absolutely true and applies to essentially every sport. Call the same running play in a row and it works? Then you played "smash mouth football" and are complimented for "imposing your will" on the other team. If it fails? Then your offense is "too predictable" and the coaching staff gets shredded. In basketball it's the same thing, take a contested three point shot and it goes in, it's an "amazing shot". Miss that same shot and "he needs to pass the ball and stop taking bad shots".

If Calderon gets position and gets the charging call, we're all laughing at McGee again. We've see that coast-to-coast drive from McGee entirely too much with NO success. I'll chalk his posterization of Calderon last night as a fluke more than anything.

Pretty much. This is what McGee is good for, a few highlight reel plays, a few dumb mistakes, and grabbing some boards. Unless his intelligence somehow increases, that is all he will ever be. It's a nice career, but considering his talent, to me, it's not. I think he had a +/- of -6 last night or something. His interior defense is below average when I watch him play too. But, best of luck McGee! You weren't going to work with the Wizards, sorry bud, I'm sure you are happier in Denver anyhow.

What you're describing is the essence of sports. I like to say "It's only a mistake if you miss" and that's absolutely true and applies to essentially every sport. Call the same running play in a row and it works? Then you played "smash mouth football" and are complimented for "imposing your will" on the other team. If it fails? Then your offense is "too predictable" and the coaching staff gets shredded. In basketball it's the same thing, take a contested three point shot and it goes in, it's an "amazing shot". Miss that same shot and "he needs to pass the ball and stop taking bad shots".

I'll put it like this....

Andruw Bynum taking a 3 and making it...amazing and out of the norm. Andruw Bynum feeling himself after that 3 and taking another one? Not so amazing and the reason why he was on the bench.

Javale going coast to coast and dunking it...amazing and out of the norm. Javale going coast to coast and turning the ball over....not so amazing (and normal considering his past).

Yes, it's the essence of sports, but you have to consider WHO is involved in these plays. Bynum, lesson learned. Javale....well, we'll probably see him try going coast-to-coast again before the start of next week LOL.

I'll put it like this....

Andruw Bynum taking a 3 and making it...amazing and out of the norm. Andruw Bynum feeling himself after that 3 and taking another one? Not so amazing and the reason why he was on the bench.

Javale going coast to coast and dunking it...amazing and out of the norm. Javale going coast to coast and turning the ball over....not so amazing (and normal considering his past).

Yes, it's the essence of sports, but you have to consider WHO is involved in these plays. Bynum, lesson learned. Javale....well, we'll probably see him try going coast-to-coast again before the start of next week LOL.

Andrew Bynum attempting a three point shot really can't be compared to a center taking it to the rim against a guard. One is what you want your center to do the other is not. The only reason people wanted McGee not to do it is because he, as you noted was likely to turn it over. Last year he had no hook shot, this year he does. Successfully doing things a center should do is called, improvement.

Now if he got the ball off a rebound surrounded by people and then dribbled the length of the floor trying to weave through traffic I'd agree with you. He didn't and was out in front of everyone off a steal in the back court.

LOL @ you saying "mostly joking."

Hard to tell from your post...but if it makes you sleep better at night knowing YOU were the only one who saw the "humor" in that, then so be it. I have a hard time believing that you were kidding at all. I think it's more naivety and your failure to at least admit that you were wrong.

here's your other quote:

Man you are really hung up on that one passing TD comment aren't you? Touchy subject for you?

I've already said it was a throwaway comment designed to emphasize how good UNC's team was this year and yet you keep focusing on it. My guess is that you didn't want to focus on the portions specifically pertaining to McAdoo because you don't know what you're talking about with McAdoo and were trying to find the only portion of the post that you could really assail. Thus you created a distracting straw man argument and redirected the argument.

This was a waste of time. Go ahead and respond to this with more TD crap if you like. I promise I'll let you have the last word.

Of ALL players, you come up with Tim Duncan. This kid is as RAW as they come, but yet he's from the Tim Duncan school of bigs that know how to play. C'mon son.
I'm actually not the only one who has thought McAdoo comes accross like TD. Just found this from DX: http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1qXAG9K1c
In the post, McAdoo shows nimble footwork and an array of hook shots, step-throughs and turnaround jumpers, but he still needs to work on becoming a better (and more willing) finisher through contact. He rarely forces the issue and shows a high basketball IQ, which is particularly evident in his ability to find open teammates. His Tim Duncan-esqe demeanor and his willingness to fit into a team setting can at times be characterized as passive.

Have you ever actually seen McAdoo play? He's got offensive skills. Pretty much as many skills as either Henson or Barnes do. More offensive skills than TRob, PJIII, Davis, or any of the other top bigs in this class not named Cody or Tyler Zeller or Jared Sullinger.

and FWIW, I didn't ignore what you said, because I CLEARLY addressed your point about him being a lottery pick next year vs. 2012.
You gave one shaky reason for why you thought next year's class was going to be much weaker, a sort of transitive Moe Harkless argument, to which I responded in equally brief fashion, which you ignored BTW. That's not really making your case that McAdoo isn't a top talent deserving of going high in this year's class.
As far as Melo...you can puff your chest out all your want, but he's been garbage this entire season. NOW is the time for him to put the team on his back and try to get them from being a fringe playoff team. This pairing will never work and at their best they'll be no better than Atlanta at their peak. You can drink the Melo kool-aid all you want, but I'm sorry....they'll NEVER sniff the ECF with Melo/STAT on the roster and with Dolan at the helm.

8-2 since everyone jumped ship. 8-2 despite the fact that all four of their best players are injured and three of them have missed time during that span.

You said the Knicks had to trade Melo and that it would never work with him because he was a selfish player. I said it would take time but that Melo was not a selfish player, and was in fact an extremely valuable player for any young PG because of his elite ability to pull up and shoot. Clearly they're finding a way to make it work and they're only going to get better as time goes by and they build chemistry.

Andrew Bynum attempting a three point shot really can't be compared to a center taking it to the rim against a guard. One is what you want your center to do the other is not. The only reason people wanted McGee not to do it is because he, as you noted was likely to turn it over. Last year he had no hook shot, this year he does. Successfully doing things a center should do is called, improvement.

Now if he got the ball off a rebound surrounded by people and then dribbled the length of the floor trying to weave through traffic I'd agree with you. He didn't and was out in front of everyone off a steal in the back court.

It's not just a center taking it to the rim...it's a center going COAST TO COAST. You know this.

This is Andrew Bynum's response after his benching:

"I guess, 'Don't take 3s' is the message, but I'm going to take another one and I'm going to take some more, so I just hope it's not the same result," Bynum said in Oakland. "Hopefully, I make it."

You ever saw McGee outright defy his coaches in the press?

Here's something interesting: big men have ego's and good teams know how to manage them.

Man you are really hung up on that one passing TD comment aren't you? Touchy subject for you?

I've already said it was a throwaway comment designed to emphasize how good UNC's team was this year and yet you keep focusing on it. My guess is that you didn't want to focus on the portions specifically pertaining to McAdoo because you don't know what you're talking about with McAdoo and were trying to find the only portion of the post that you could really assail. Thus you created a distracting straw man argument and redirected the argument.

This was a waste of time. Go ahead and respond to this with more TD crap if you like. I promise I'll let you have the last word.

I'm actually not the only one who has thought McAdoo comes accross like TD. Just found this from DX: http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1qXAG9K1c

Have you ever actually seen McAdoo play? He's got offensive skills. Pretty much as many skills as either Henson or Barnes do. More offensive skills than TRob, PJIII, Davis, or any of the other top bigs in this class not named Cody or Tyler Zeller or Jared Sullinger.

You gave one shaky reason for why you thought next year's class was going to be much weaker, a sort of transitive Moe Harkless argument, to which I responded in equally brief fashion, which you ignored BTW. That's not really making your case that McAdoo isn't a top talent deserving of going high in this year's class.

8-2 since everyone jumped ship. 8-2 despite the fact that all four of their best players are injured and three of them have missed time during that span.

You said the Knicks had to trade Melo and that it would never work with him because he was a selfish player. I said it would take time but that Melo was not a selfish player, and was in fact an extremely valuable player for any young PG because of his elite ability to pull up and shoot. Clearly they're finding a way to make it work and they're only going to get better as time goes by and they build chemistry.

1. A throwaway comment that YOU labeled a "joke" after you were called out on it. I'm calling a spade a spade.

2. Do you know what Tim Duncan demeanor means (based off of what DX said)? Has NOTHING to do with his skill-set. It means McAdoo is stoic. Had you said he had a demeanor like TD, I wouldn't have said anything about it. But you just had to say "from the tim duncan school of bigs that know how to play." Again, c'mon son.

3. The famous rebuttal if someone challenges your POV "have you actually seen so-and-so play." You're better than that, SM. I said McAdoo is raw and will be a project for whoever takes him THIS year. I also said he'd be better served going back to UNC to hone his game. I brought up harkless because there's a reason why he's considered a late 1st round pick this year, and a sure bet for the lottery next. It's the same reason why McAdoo is a fringe lottery player this year and would be a lock for the top-5 next.

4. And I stick by what i said about the Knicks. They'll NEVER reach the ECF or NBA Finals with a pairing of Melo/STAT. Not happening.

It's not just a center taking it to the rim...it's a center going COAST TO COAST. You know this.

off of a steal in the back court where he found himself one on one with a small guard. Again he didn't go coast to coast through traffic.

off of a steal in the back court where he found himself one on one with a small guard. Again he didn't go coast to coast through traffic.

Let's consider who we're talking about. LOL. What Javale did last night is his M.O. We've seen this before from him...only this time he had success.