Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'd put money on us blowing the lead. The Sixers are a good team.

That said this has been another impressive performance against a playoff team. Really liking the way the team has already gelled defensively. The length EG put together, much as I rag on him, has really stood out recently.

I noticed that too, figured people wouldn't be too happy about it.

...and was it me or did he say "dagger" kinda early?

Nah that was pretty good timing! Great win. I'm all for the tank but you need to win a few here and there, especially since how hard we've been playing lately.

Most impressive is we're doing this with Wall struggling on offense (but dominating on D). Love it.

Hope Nene and Book are okay.

Booker won't be ok his injury has been downplayed but I've heard that its not something easily fixed. Plantar Fasciitus is what i heard and that can last a long time. Hopefully the wizards training staff has already started trying out orthotics and he isnt playing in the same shoes in which he got the injury. Smart move for the wiz is to shelf him for the rest of the season or cut his minutes back significantly at least. Symptoms can last a year.

Don't know what happened to nene but they said foot. That's the word you never want to hear when talking about a center. Damnit we deserve some luck I hope it's minor.

Edited by Destino

Nene also has Plantar Fasciitus. They say it's all about pain threshold but that's BS. This injury flares up and when it does you can barely walk on it. No decisive means of correcting it, like surgery for instance, exists to treat it. Ice/heat and rest are the most effective treatments. The training staff needs to take a look at their shoes before this gets worse. Symptoms can worsen and even with treatment can last a year.

Not going to put him out for weeks but between it a back spasms his availability will most likely be unpredictable. Either can flare up at literally any moment.

Booker won't be ok his injury has been downplayed but I've heard that its not something easily fixed. Plantar Fasciitus is what i heard and that can last a long time. Hopefully the wizards training staff has already started trying out orthotics and he isnt playing in the same shoes in which he got the injury. Smart move for the wiz is to shelf him for the rest of the season or cut his minutes back significantly at least. Symptoms can last a year.

Don't know what happened to nene but they said foot. That's the word you never want to hear when talking about a center. Damnit we deserve some luck I hope it's minor.

Yeah we could use some luck here. Losing both Nene and Book gives us no depth in the front court. I didn't see Nene's foot injury, was that the one where they stopped the clock and he had to run to the training room? He was getting beat up all night. I think I understand why he gets so banged up. He throws his body around wildly on offense in the paint and takes a lot of blows to his face in particular. It gets him to the FT line but I'd rather him stay healthy.

The silver lining with a Book injury is that Vesely and Seraphin are thriving with increased minutes and we'll get to see more of them now.

It's been a surprisingly pleasant feeling recently to see a Mack, Mason/Martin, Singleton, Vesely, and Seraphin lineup take the floor and actually feel pretty good about that lineup. Three rookies and four sophomore players are seeing the majority of our minutes and we're playing playoff teams close.

Seraphin's offensive range has been a very pleasant surprise.

Vesely's defensive ability is downright amazing for a rookie. His on ball defense was pretty good coming in and he was good playing the passing lanes from the get go. His team defense is fantastic as demonstrated in the last two games, he does a really good job switching and rotating to protect the rim. He's a cognizant player that anticipates offensive movement well. But what impressed me the most was that I thought he's shown real strides defending the post. He's playing stronger positional defense for one, and he's figuring out how to use his length to bother ball handlers when they post him up.

I'd argue that Vesely is the superior all around defender to Singleton at this stage and projects as a legit impact defender down the road as he gets stronger and more experienced (assuming the effort stays constant).

If Vesely can improve his rebounding rate, improve his FT shooting some, get stronger, continue improving his screens, and develop a few go to post moves that he can finish with either hand, he's going to be an extremely valuable PF. I think he can definitely do all of that in time. The FT shooting might never be good, but all of the other stuff should naturally progress. He'll never be a star because of his offensive limitations--lack of scoring instincts + poor shooting + lack of any sort of repertoire of skills outside of dunks. But he'll be a very good player that you can win with. I think I can start to see why management marked him as untouchable.

With Vesely showing well like this and Seraphin demonstrating his value as a rotational big that deserves lots of minutes, it makes me think PF isn't a priority for us in this draft. As a minimum, we'll need to trade Book to give an early PF pick a chance to see the floor.

I am not as high as you are on singleton. His defense was his strength and I can't say he's even a good defender right now. He needs to improve all aspects of his game to justify starting at SF. Vesely has been a surprise on defense, he commits a lot of dumb fouls but for a raw defender his potential is high. If he is able to get stronger he'll be a good glue guy, all hustle and effort, until he learn to shoot. Assuming he ever does.

I am not as high as you are on singleton. His defense was his strength and I can't say he's even a good defender right now. He needs to improve all aspects of his game to justify starting at SF. Vesely has been a surprise on defense, he commits a lot of dumb fouls but for a raw defender his potential is high. If he is able to get stronger he'll be a good glue guy, all hustle and effort, until he learn to shoot. Assuming he ever does.

Singleton confuses me. His spot up jumpshot is getting better, but lately he's been trying to go off the dribble which is not his game all. Ironically, as his jumpshot has improved, his defining characteristic of defense, has gotten worse.

---------- Post added March-31st-2012 at 06:33 PM ----------

For a guy who blocks everything, Unibrow does a great job at getting back in position when Kentucky doesn't recover the block.