Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I was watching a clip of Westbrook saying he finally is healthy. He may have been exaggerating to justify his bad play, but I have no doubt he was banged up. It would be odd for him to fall off a cliff completely. I still think he is a pretty overrated player, but he has proven beyond a doubt in his career that he is a dangerous scorer. You would think him and Beal alone could lead the team to some wins (more than they have to this point). Having other guys back healthy helps too obviously. 

Still a really bad team though 😖

Wild end. Good that comes out of this is Westbrook looking more healthy IF Ted acknowledges reality and is willing to move him and Beal. Either as part of a multi-team trade or in separate moves. Just don't bring back big long-term deal in return. Expiring contracts, young guys who want to see if they can develop, and pics. Nothing to weigh down the books for years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MonkFan8 said:

Can someone please get Rui a shooting coach? I've never seen a shot so flat in my life.

He hit the three when it counted, huge shot.

But there were times in that game where they weren't even guarding him, wiiiiiide open, and it was messing with is head. 

What's the logic to trade Beal?  

The NBA formula is easy.  Megastar or a couple of superstars or some combination.  With solid depth behind them...  solid depth as in stars or developing stars.  

Beal is not a megastar yet... Westbrook was a superstar.  The problem is the Wizards don't have any stars or developing stars behind them.  You should have at least 1 from 3 drafts worth.  Wizards are waiting for Troy Brown to take the leap and Rui as well... Bryant was a developing star. Not sure how to fix the defense....

I am not down to trade Beal for draft picks that we hope turn into megastar or superstars?  

• Thumb down 1

21 hours ago, Fergasun said:

What's the logic to trade Beal?  

The NBA formula is easy.  Megastar or a couple of superstars or some combination.  With solid depth behind them...  solid depth as in stars or developing stars.  

Beal is not a megastar yet... Westbrook was a superstar.  The problem is the Wizards don't have any stars or developing stars behind them.  You should have at least 1 from 3 drafts worth.  Wizards are waiting for Troy Brown to take the leap and Rui as well... Bryant was a developing star. Not sure how to fix the defense....

I am not down to trade Beal for draft picks that we hope turn into megastar or superstars?  

Well, when Beal leaves in after next season and the Wizards have maybe one playoff appearance to show from it, what then?

This team isn't any good. They played as well as they can offensively and the Nets still needed to totally **** the bed at the end for the Wiz to win. Beal is going to leave so as an organization, you have to get something for him. It's not like the Wiz are contenders and you ride it out with hopes of winning a championship. You add as much young talent as possible and you find a better coach. 

You can't fix the defense with these players. 

• Thumb up 1

Portland is struggling with injuries to McCollum, Nurkic, and Collins.  Second game of a back-to-back, which I have found doesn't affect teams as much as you would think, but still they might be tired after traveling from Milwaukee.  Wizards should have some confidence after that win against the Nets.  I think the Wiz might pull it out. 

2 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:
Masai Ujiri

I don't know why he would want to come to DC. It's a mess. Also, it's very on brand for the Wiz to have a rumor out there that shows the current GM is awful and might be gone. There is nothing honest about the Wizards organization. 

this has probably been discussed ad nauseam by you guys, but i dont come in here much. how in the world does scott brooks still have a job? i dont get at least trying some fresh blood with beal/russ. i can't remember a coach in any sport where its so obvious that they arent the right fit, but still hang on to their job for so long

• Like 2

8 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Portland is struggling with injuries to McCollum, Nurkic, and Collins.  Second game of a back-to-back, which I have found doesn't affect teams as much as you would think, but still they might be tired after traveling from Milwaukee.  Wizards should have some confidence after that win against the Nets.  I think the Wiz might pull it out. 

everyone gets healthy offensively against the Wiz.

3 hours ago, mammajamma said:

this has probably been discussed ad nauseam by you guys, but i dont come in here much. how in the world does scott brooks still have a job? i dont get at least trying some fresh blood with beal/russ. i can't remember a coach in any sport where its so obvious that they arent the right fit, but still hang on to their job for so long

Doesn't matter this season. Collectively they cannot play defense no matter who the coach is.

That Bertans extension was such a depressingly predictable mistake in the making.  16 million a year for someone who does literally nothing more than get you 4 made threes per game--when he is at his best.  And Tommy compounded that mistake by trading Wall.  It's almost as bad as the Mahinmi signing, and at least with that deal, it didn't double down on a fatal flaw of the roster construction by killing the chance to play defense.

Bertans should have been traded at last year's deadline, but this FO has zero instinct for adding value in team building assets.  And they have zero clue how to build a balanced roster.  We've swung entirely in the direction of offense and yet we still don't have a good three point shooting team.  This season is a disaster and leadership changes need to be made before a decision about Beal happens.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mammajamma said:

Wouldn't better defensive coaching help bad defense?

Maybe, but who has potential to be really good defensively in a starting lineup of Westbrook, Beal, Deni, Rui and Bryant? SF was the natural position to add 3&D guys and the Wiz elected to extend Bertans and add Deni. Not sure if Rui has the ability to be good defensively, but Bryant hasn't show it and Beal and Westbrook aren't gonna change. 

5 hours ago, Hersh said:

Maybe, but who has potential to be really good defensively in a starting lineup of Westbrook, Beal, Deni, Rui and Bryant? SF was the natural position to add 3&D guys and the Wiz elected to extend Bertans and add Deni. Not sure if Rui has the ability to be good defensively, but Bryant hasn't show it and Beal and Westbrook aren't gonna change. 

i hear ya, but on the other hand these are pro athletes. you have to be the best basketball players in the world to be in the NBA. you're telling me our entire team can't play 50% of what's required to be a good basketball player? it leans more to the coaching system to me. or just a TERRIBLE indictment of our GM and scouts that we can't find anybody that can play both ways