Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, Destino said:

You're confusing culture and winning.  Players play a role in culture but they don't establish it or define large portions of it.  If they did it would vanish each time they switched teams.  Maimi's culture is still strong, their roster isn't.  The Wizards culture was toxic even when they were playing well.  The Spurs culture is probably still very good, they're just struggling to put the pieces together.  Barring injury, they'll be fairly good by the end of the season. 

I don't think I really am.

I don't see how you can say the Spurs culture is good when their best player, a person they developed, and a legit MVP candidate just forced his way out of San Antonio.  He was one of CP's reported destinations and went to the Rockets instead.  Lack of effort has been a consistent complaint related to Whiteside.  Lebron left Miami with nothing.

If the Spurs and Miami have a good culture, then I guess I'm left asking what good is a good culture.  From my perspective, it look like you just picked some teams and decided they have good culture.

I think the Spurs had good culture that was mostly governed by the players I listed, and as they've gone that culture has been lost.  Now, as part of that, I think teams that have a good culture are mostly going to win.  Culture is installed by your players, but even mostly by your team's leaders, but leaders tend to be the best players.  It is the best players that have the power in the NBA and as part of that, at some level, they can dictate things to teammates.  So good players with good work ethics and that play to win (not to pad their stats or try to win, but don't understand how to win) whose attitudes trickle down to other players on the team end up resulting in good teams. 

The Spurs had a good culture because of Duncan's ability he was a leader on the team.  He then set an example and a standard of how to play and practice (made a good culture) for the other players to follow.

**EDIT**

I can't find it, but there was a story about how CP3 wanted to create an environment like what he experienced as a young player with NOP where the players all hung together and had fun together with the Rockets.  Where they were friends not just business partners.  That sort of thing comes from players too.

Edited by PeterMP

Well the thing about the Spurs and Heat are: there is accountability and real leadership. You think Riley/Spo or Bufford/Pop would allow some of the shenanigans that our guys have pulled? I know the Spurs had the issue with Leonard last year, but that was really just an extraordinary situation that only even had the chance of happening because of a freak injury.

39 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Well the thing about the Spurs and Heat are: there is accountability and real leadership. You think Riley/Spo or Bufford/Pop would allow some of the shenanigans that our guys have pulled? I know the Spurs had the issue with Leonard last year, but that was really just an extraordinary situation that only even had the chance of happening because of a freak injury.

Who was Leonard accountable to last year when the Spurs said he was healthy to play and he refused to play?  There are plenty of reports that the real problem was that Leonard didn't want to be in San Antonio because it was hurting his marketability.

That's worse than anything that anybody on the Wizards team has done.

Lebron dictated the Heat's number 1 pick in the draft to them, and left anyway.  When Lebron was there, him and Wade ran the Heat.

If you have premiere player and he's not buying in in the NBA, there's very little you can do.  If that off season before the injury issue the Spurs would management decided that Leonard wasn't buying in and was listening to people that didn't have the Spurs or winning as their top interest (e.g. people saying he under rated because San Antonio was too small of market), trading him and bringing back comparable on the court talent would have been impossible.

Nobody in the NBA is trading that kind of talent as there is a problem with it so you can't bring back equal talent unless there is a problem.  If John Wall has been doing things in practices, games, and in the locker room Ernie isn't happy with, for most of his career, Ernie really couldn't do much because he couldn't trade John Wall and bring back a comparable player.

As I've said, there have been issues with Whiteside's effort since he signed the max deal.  What have the Heat done to hold him accountable?

(And that's a case where they can't trade him because nobody wants that contract.)

Edited by PeterMP

@PeterMP telling us we misvalue our players and should trade them is telling us what we should do. I'm sorry, but cant stop rolling my eyes on your pronouncement of being right that we should've traded our best player 3 years ago, you dont sound like a fan of the team when you say stuff like that, maybe casual at best.

For clarification, you saying what Leonard did is worse then anyone on our current team or any Wizard the Ernie has brought here? 

Your arguement makes no sense saying it's the players that are making this environment toxic if Ernie picked the players. Until you get this you really should stop coming in here and writing research papers on how were all wrong. 

If anything I think your messing with an unwritten rule about sports message boards, same way I wouldnt do this in the Orioles thread as a Nats fan.  So should probably re-evaluate how you going about this (maybe wait until after our game, too).