Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

You don't make that trade if you are planning to blow up what you got.  That's another band-aid to help our PF depth.  I'll trade a second round pick to get the cloud over our head on whether we plan to let Ernie do another rebuild starting this season.  

I feel sadness.  I'm legitimately going to miss the GOAT.  He was a good teammate and a fun player.

This blinsided me.  I thought we would at least have this final year together.

Sam Dekker has a weird head.  Like a cartoon character.

Jason Smith handsome like Disney sidekick.

That said, Sam Dekker is actually pretty decent in a limited role.    And more importantly, he shaves several million off the tax bill.

I'm impressed with the haul Cleveland got for George Hill.  Is he still that good?

Wizards drop 3 million in salary by going from Smith to Dekker.  It's like five million real dollars saved because of the luxury tax.  So we basically sold a second round pick for 5 million.

I have a fear that, if we get back to .500, we're going to trade Mahinmi with our first round pick to dump salary and get rid of our luxury tax bill.

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wizards drop 3 million in salary by going from Smith to Dekker.  It's like five million real dollars saved because of the luxury tax.  So we basically sold a second round pick for 5 million. 

Actually I was wrong about this.  Saw Bobby Marks say that we dropped our luxury tax bill from 14 to 9 million.  Five million in luxury tax savings alone means we saved 7+ million in money.

Cold world we live in where we could put a 7 million dollar price tag on Jason Smith.

10 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm impressed with the haul Cleveland got for George Hill.  Is he still that good?

I have a fear that, if we get back to .500, we're going to trade Mahinmi with our first round pick to dump salary and get rid of our luxury tax bill.

One key thing is the Cavs took back 2 bad contracts and gave up a reasonable one in Hill.  Hill only has $1 million guarantee next year and so can easily be cut.  Deladonova and Henson combined are worth about $20 million and Smith is an expiring.  This has more to do with the offseason for Milwaukee than this year.

(So in other words, no George Hill is not that good.  Milwaukee made the move to put them in a position to make moves this summer.  Milwaukee was willing to give up on future potential players for flexibility in the free agent market this offseason.)

In terms of the Wizards, SI is reporting it is flip of the picks.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/12/07/nba-trade-grades-bucks-closer-title-contention-george-hill-acquisition-send-cavs-dellavedova-wizards

The Wizards get the Cavs 2021 pick and give up their 2022.  Which one will be the better pick at this time is hard to tell, but it certainly doesn't seem worth complaining about.  Deker has some uses and there is still a chance he'll get better.  I thought he'd be a better shooter coming out of college, but maybe something will click for him in DC.

9 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

The Wizards get the Cavs 2021 pick and give up their 2022.  Which one will be the better pick at this time is hard to tell, but it certainly doesn't seem worth complaining about.  Deker has some uses and there is still a chance he'll get better.  I thought he'd be a better shooter coming out of college, but maybe something will click for him in DC. 

I think he's hurt right now.  Not sure what the nature of his injury is, but if he actually turns into anything for us, we'll have come out ahead.  For us this move was primarily about about lowering our luxury tax bill.  Moving Jason Smith was low-hanging fruit.

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think he's hurt right now.  Not sure what the nature of his injury is, but if he actually turns into anything for us, we'll have come out ahead.  For us this move was primarily about about lowering our luxury tax bill.  Moving Jason Smith was low-hanging fruit.

Just a badly sprained ankle.

Yes, you are right.  Lower the tax bill, no real downside, and maybe some of an upside.

You know... when a bench unit hasn't scored but one point in 6 minutes of game time, a coach who isn't a complete dumb **** would make some line up changes and sub his star PG who excels at creating good shots back in.

Buck is so perplexed that we've missed so many shots without seeming to recognize that it's not so strange to miss 15 dog**** shots.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You know... when a bench unit hasn't scored but one point in 6 minutes of game time, a coach who isn't a complete dumb **** would make some line up changes and sub his star PG who excels at creating good shots back in.

Buck is so perplexed that we've missed so many shots without seeming to recognize that it's not so strange to miss 15 dog**** shots.

Brooks can’t be fired soon enough.