Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

We need more young stallions surrounding Wall Beal and Porter. Its basically those three and a bunch of AARP guys. Thats fine with last years slower pace but we're trying to play crazy fast and its just not working.

Need to go back to playing like last year with good D and just improve the half court offense.

If we had opened the year with the same starting lineup, I think we would have an increased win total by the end of the season just by virtue of Otto starting over Pierce. But, damage is done and there is no way the front office/coaching staff throws in the towel before digging thmselves into a deeper hole with trades. Alas, im content with disapointment. Its what it is to be a washington sports fan. But the fact that we almost suredly screwed our chances for Durant is the icing on the cake. (not that i thought he would come here anyways).

2. The fast paced offense drains Gortat extremely quickly. Halfway through the 1st, he is already winded and cant even deam of guarding the perimeter or rebounding with the same intensity. This kills the pick and roll game that Marcin brings to the table. With Nene being the only guy who can come in an replace him, we are completely screwed. What the hell are we going to do when this fast paced offense reults in Gortat getting injured...

Gortat is fine. He's always thrived in an uptempo system, it's what he was first successful with in Phoenix with Steve Nash. He runs the floor as well as any center in the league. I don't think conditioning has been an issue with him at all. He's just in one of his mental slumps right now. He'll play his way out of it eventually.

He's also a solid rim protector. Way better than a lot of the high volume shot blockers who get classified as rim protectors. Nene can't protect the rim for ****, but don't put Gortat in the same class as him.

This is kind of where we're at bench-wise:

Sessions - solid back up PG

Neal & Temple - very limited back up SGs. If Neal finds his three ball range, then he'll be a lot more useful. If Temple is ever playing, we're in bad shape.

Anderson - who knows?

Oubre - big project, but his energy helps us when he checks in. Too many nights, lack of energy has been a real issue. He should be playing.

Webster - done.

Dudley - Looks pretty bad now, but in like a month I think he'll be alright. Can't guard his position, can't rebound, and can't hit threes right now though. It's hurting us.

Nene - looks good about one in three games. Looks heinous in the other two. He's basically done too, and should be just a break glass in case of emergency big.

Hump - clearly isn't starting caliber, but we're having to start him because of how crappy our options are. He should be getting 15 MPG off the bench, not 25 MPG starting.

Gooden - he's done too. He might go on the odd hot streak from three and make us think he's more valuable than he is, but this is not a good option for playing a major bench role in our front court.

Blair - he's awful. Totally unsuited to our system and should only see the floor in mop up time.

So yeah... we've basically got two bench players who I see as being legitimately valuable right now, and one of them is starting. I hope Dudley gets there. I hope Oubre learns quickly and becomes a trustworthy option this season. And I hope Neal finds his three ball. All of those things would be super helpful. But there is no realistic hope with the front court options. A deal needs to be made ASAP.

It's crying over spilled milk, but this is where whiffing on ALL of our 2010 and 2011 draft picks sans Wall is really hurting us. If any of them stick, they're our affordable home grown bench talent. And whiffing on Martell's contract hurts. And then going bargain bin shopping to keep a max contract offer for KD on the table compounds the problem. If we had taken a Kenneth Faried or Nikola Mirotic instead of Chris Singleton, we'd have young legs capable of starting at PF. If we'd have spent for Patrick Patterson two summers ago, we'd have a young shooter at the four that can guard the position.

If I were Ernie I'd be offering Houston our first round pick for Terrence Jones right now.

• Like 1

Beal has crazy trade value. Floating him out there could crack open a bidding war...which is what we want.

This is an awful idea lol. We are literally 7 games into our season and you are actually thinking about trading away our second best player? Everyone needs to calm down a little. Yeah we look bad, but the NBA season is 82 games long and is full of up's and down's. We beat the Spurs a week ago for christ sake. 

• Like 4

If we sign three max deals the only influx of talent is ancient players looking for titles and late round draft picks. Ernie doesn't have the greatest record in those areas.

But if I'm being honest, my dislike for the man lasted so long that by now I'd find fault in what he chose to order for lunch. I am incapable of being objective here.

• Like 5

I think it's objective to see Ernie as a mediocre GM with questionable leadership and drafting skills based on his looooong track record. Before Wall, Michael Redd was the only All Star he'd drafted in his long career. And the accounts of Gungate show what a ****ing out of control clown show the team had become on his watch.

He's not terrible. During this rebuild, He turned our most valuable assets into premium pieces in Wall, Beal, and Porter. The actual difficulty of that achievement is a different debate. He's made a couple solid, cheap FA signings, like Paul Pierce and Kris Humphries if nothing long term.

And he's shown his real genius is knowing when to cut bait and make job saving trades after his **** ups. Pawning Arenas off on the Magic. Pawning JaVale off on Denver. Turning Shard into Okafor and Ariza. Turning Okafor into Gortat. Getting Andre Miller after ****ing up with Maynor, and then turning Miller into Sessions after Dre was done.

Let's be real, winning the John Wall lottery saved Ernie's ass. He would have been fired years ago otherwise. And lucking into Beal and Porter in addition probably ensures he's safe for the duration of the era. If he ends up picking fourth instead of third and comes away with Dion Waiters or Thomas Robinson instead of Beal, then he'd probably be fired too. He's not a good GM, and with a better GM, we'd be farther along.

I think the most frustrating part about the season is that Wall is a star and Otto and Beal are making the leap for which we've patiently waited... and the team looks like it's falling apart around them. Those three coming into their own was supposed to mean this team could win 50 games.

Russell Westbrook is a star, Wall has to be a notch below that.

I think collectively, the fanbase needs to make this team prove something first. This franchise hasn't won more than 46 games in almost 40 years. Anybody thinking this was a 50 win team was getting ahead of themselves. They need to show they can be more than better than average, because they were getting put into the "good" category prematurely.

I think collectively, the fanbase needs to make this team prove something first. This franchise hasn't won more than 46 games in almost 40 years. Anybody thinking this was a 50 win team was getting ahead of themselves. They need to show they can be more than better than average, because they were getting put into the "good" category prematurely.

I said that before this season and last season as well.  This team can flip a switch in the playoffs and play much better but they have never been able to maintain any semblance of consistent effort in the regular season.  That penchant to mentally check out from time to time continues to haunt them. 

That OKC game was boring because only one of the two teams on the floor looked like they wanted to win it, the other just looked like they wanted to get through it. 

Russell Westbrook is a star, Wall has to be a notch below that.

Westbrook is playing at an MVP level.  There are probably only 2 other players in the conversation with him this season (Curry and Lebron).  That doesn't mean Wall isn't a star, just that Westbrook is playing out of his mind right now. 

"It took me too many years to realize that for some GMs, their number-one job wasn't winning a championship, it's keeping their job" - Mark Cubin

Just read that in Rolling Stone. Thought it was a great quote, and made me think of someone....hmmmmmmm.

• Like 2