Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Like No Excuses said, glad that the team had Nene's back and came out and beat Chicago, never really letting them in it from start to finish.

If we beat Chicago, I'm liking a potential matchup with Atlanta in the second round.  They're a better team than their record.  But we'll have a size advantage over them and we can handle their guards and wings.  Millsap will be a tough cover for anyone, and Al Horford is always a handful.  Teague will also be scarier than Hinrich and Lou Williams is just as much a microwave as Augustin.  And Korver is better than Dunleavey.  But Atlanta doesn't play defense like Chicago, and they make mistakes.  We should be even with them or better talent-wise at every position except C.  And Gortat won't kill us.

Outside of Korver, they don't have really scary shooters.  Carroll can make shots but he's not as good as our shooters are.  Williams can make them too, but he's very streaky.  And Millsap has 3 ball range, but he's not an ideal option.  If he's taking threes, that's probably coming at the end of good defense.

Their coach is really good.  That'll be a challenge.  But so is Thibs, nothing we aren't dealing with already.

Defensively, Millsap, Horford, and Elton Brand are all pretty good.  Not elite like Gibson and Noah.  We should be able to get into the paint and score, but they won't make it easy for us.  The real advantage for us is that Teague, Williams, Mack, and Korver are all HORRIBLE defenders.  There is no way they're going to be able to guard Wall, Beal, Ariza, and Webster if they're clicking like they have been against Chicago.

On the boards, they're like us.  Each of their bigs are good on the defensive glass, none are particularly active on the offensive glass.  They're going to finish off their defense and limit us to one shot most of the time, but we should be able to do the same.  They're much less of a handful on the boards than the Bulls.

All in all, if we beat the Bulls and get Atlanta, our first round match up should be the harder one.

But honestly, the way the Pacers look... I think we might want them instead.  The only thing is you never know if the lightbulb will suddenly come on with them.

Wait I totally forgot Horford was hurt and Antic and Brand were the C rotation. IMO that totally swings the C matchup in our favor in a potential Wizards vs. Hawks second round matchup. Gortat should be an advantage over those two.

As long as our bigs can dominate on offense. Otherwise they'll force us to go small.

As long as our bigs can dominate on offense. Otherwise they'll force us to go small.

Hmm, that might not be a bad thing.  Wouldn't mind seeing small lineups and getting a Nene/Gortat rotation at C.  Hopefully keep our bigs fresher.

Booker is going to have to guard guys out in space.  Wall will have his work cut out with Teague.  Those two and Nene are going to get the toughest assignments.  Millsap is going to be a tough cover.  We don't really have a clean answer for him.  But he'd also have a lot of trouble guarding Nene. because of the size difference.

Thank God we didn't finish in 7th place.

Wait I totally forgot Horford was hurt and Antic and Brand were the C rotation.  IMO that totally swings the C matchup in our favor in a potential Wizards vs. Hawks second round matchup.  Gortat should be an advantage over those two.

I know it sounds crazy, but…the smart Vegas money would be on the Wizards against the Hawks.  We would actually be a prohibitive favorite in the conference Semis...

Indiana is such a cluster**** it's hard to get an accurate read on the Hawks from this series.

Agreed. No way to get a read on them.

Btw, anyone cares, got released from the hospital. Calling it chest Wall pain now. Got getta get more tests tomorrow. Whatever it is, **** is ****ing brutal. Never felt pain like this this before. Feels like someone is stabbing in between ribs and twisting the blade around. Scale 1-10, it's a 10. Especially if I cough, sneeze, burp, hiccup or just take a deep breath. Has me double overed. The information packet they gave me said it could last weeks. FMMFL

Wow, didn't you use to give us Wiz fans **** all the time? Regardless, I appreciate the recognition and praise. Thank you.

Also, sidenote, I always appreciate Steve's posts. There aren't many of us Wiz fans. So I always appreciate his dedication and passion. And he drops knowledge too

BTW dude, just saw this. Hope you are feeling better. I was wondering why I haven't been reading more stuff from you in here. Hope you are able to enjoy this Wiz run. Edited by Duckus

After reading how good a coach Thibs is I have to say so far he's been pleasantly unimpressive in a series.  He hasn't appeared to change anything to my uneducated eyes, surely something like the Bulls start Gibson tonight to stop us getting out to a big lead from the start has to happen this game? 

Whatever they do imo Nene back from suspension should be all we need to ensure we're playing with the intensity we need to close out a relatively (and surprisingly) easy series.  One guy I have to shout out is Miller.  He is such a difference maker, we can run the team for 48 minutes a game and it makes such a difference watching them now to before we got him.

The Wizards look like they're enjoying playing to packed high energy arenas, and I'm enjoying watching them match the energy on the floor.  They believe and are backing it up with 100% effort, and that's always been good enough for me :)

Edit:  Good to see GACOLB back, was hoping the lack of posts was due extended partying rather than being unwell.

Edited by Pedro

Since folks were concerned about the refereeing, I was curious if game assignments had been announced yet.  Did we get Joey Crawford again, or will his having been on the west coast last night mean he can't be involved?

Game                              Official 1    Official 2   Official 3               Alternate

Washington @ Chicago Ken Mauer Ed Malloy Bennett Salvatore Mark Lindsay

Edited by Popeman38

Can most certainly live with that trio of refs. Not awful(Joey Crawford esque) but not the best 

"2. Bennett Salvatore -- Always one of the worst, he took it to another level this season. If you see him on the court at the start of the game, get ready for about six technicals, two near-brawls and both coaches having to be restrained by their assistants at various times."

The Wizards are all but assured to make it to the Eastern Conference finals( I can't believe I just typed that), but what if they were actually able to defeat the Miami Heat?? 

Even if it was possible by both teams playing straight up, I don't see the league letting that happen. Lebron will be allowed to take six steps in the paint on a game-winning shot again. 

BTW, I'm hoping Brooklyn wins out and is playing Miami next round. I think they have a better shot of winning some games and forcing Miami to grind out their wins before playing us. 

Edited by Gamebreaker

The Wizards are all but assured to make it to the Eastern Conference finals( I can't believe I just typed that), but what if they were actually able to defeat the Miami Heat?? 

Even if it was possible by both teams playing straight up, I don't see the league letting that happen. Lebron will be allowed to take six steps in the paint on a game-winning shot again. 

We are a DC Sports franchise, we are not "all but assured" of anything

• Like 5