Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Told you guys you were freaking out about the Miller thing. He just didn't get along with the Nuggets coach. He's a vet that is bringing a calm presence to the 2nd unit. He also gives Wall more of a rest.

It feels very Vinny Cerrato to me. The constant trading of future for right now. No one doubted that Miller was better than Temple or Maynor. The problem is young player and draft pick went out for a ancient backup point guard which we may not be able to afford to keep for longer than around 30 games. Think about that, ~30 games of bench play for Vesely and a draft pick.

It has worked out well immediately but we've got too many moves like that. If Gortat leaves after this season... This playoff run has been awfully expensive.

• Like 1

Main reason people were pissed was because of what a boondoggle the Eric Maynor situation ended up being. Gave him a 2 year contract with a player option on the first day and he didn't work out. Cut Kendall Marshall and he worked out in LA eventually. Also, people had already accepted Vesely was a bust, but it was a sad reminder of that botched draft.

It feels very Vinny Cerrato to me. The constant trading of future for right now. No one doubted that Miller was better than Temple or Maynor. The problem is young player and draft pick went out for a ancient backup point guard which we may not be able to afford to keep for longer than around 30 games. Think about that, ~30 games of bench play for Vesely and a draft pick.

It has worked out well immediately but we've got too many moves like that. If Gortat leaves after this season... This playoff run has been awfully expensive.

Main reason people were pissed was because of what a boondoggle the Eric Maynor situation ended up being. Gave him a 2 year contract with a player option on the first day and he didn't work out. Cut Kendall Marshall and he worked out in LA eventually. Also, people had already accepted Vesely was a bust, but it was a sad reminder of that botched draft.

Agree with you guys.  It was a terrible way of getting a decent backup PG in the first place.  I wish we could change what happened, but you can't.  If we had to do it again, of course, you don't sign Maynor, you wouldn't have to trade Vesely and wouldn't have to give up yet another pick.  It is what it is, but now we at least have someone behind Wall that is competant.

I know I am late, but whatever...

Man, John Wall was a beast last night. He went hard to the basket, and the J was falling.

Gortat was a machine too.

Matter of fact, I don't think I can complain about anybody yesterday. I mean, if I looked hard enough, I could find something, but for the most part, everybody played their part. Good sign with the absence of Nene and Seraphin(sp).

I don't mind getting rid of Vesely or Maynor because wasn't Vesely a FA anyway after this year? Its more upsetting that he made the Vesely pick and the Maynor signing.

• Like 1

Glen Rice jr back to the D league. Why not let Otto join him and let those two mesh together down there?

Still think the best thing for Otto is experience. So why not...

Washington Wizards (@WashWizards): Wizards re-assign Glen Rice to @iowaenergy http://t.co/Q19bIOAzzA(https://twitter.com/WashWizards/status/438791184392396801)

BulletsForever's reasoning for not doing that:

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/2/26/5450292/otto-porter-washington-wizards-d-league-iowa-energy

Who the hell knows... Patience is key, I guess.

Edited by STBonecrusher21

Wasn't one of our losses to Toronto the game where Wall had something like 4 steals and 20 points in just the 3rd quarter, but no one else showed up? And the most recent one, where Ariza, Beal, & Webster were ALL cold. I think Toronto is very fortunate to have 3 wins over us this year. They are again fortunate that we'll be without Nene. Hopefully our shooters come to play this time.

• Like 1

The first loss to Toronto Wall went off and nobody else really got involved.

For me, I like the games where Wall piles up assists more than the ones where he goes off with his scoring. The games where he's like 17 and 13. I feel like those are the games where he does the most to elevate the team. Getting everyone involved, elevates us on D too because it gets the whole team emotionally invested in the game.

I don't really want to see Wall go off and score a million points. I'd rather see him and Beal get the role players their share of the scoring and have five or six Wizards score in double figures.

Plenty of people wanted Nerlens instead without the benefit of hindsight.

I was torn between the two. On draft when our pick came up I was like, wow, what do we do? Didn't expect Nerlens to drop. But I was relieved when we picked Porter because it felt like the safer bet. Didn't see him redshirting this year at all. I didn't see us keeping Ariza.

We don't know if Nerlens can play yet either though.

While it's true that we don't know if Nerlens can play, having him in the fold to learn behind either Gortat/Nene (depending on where you put him) would be a real asset going forward.  Remember, his calling card is defense.  We had a great anchor last year in Okafor, and just having a presence in the paint who can alter shots etc. would be extremely beneficial. 

It's going to be real interesting to see which direction the team goes with their surplus of SFs. 

Not sure what's going to happen with Ariza, but IMO, this is as good as he'll ever get for us.  I think they're going to let him walk.

If thye re-sign him, you'd have to think that Porter will be the one to be traded. 

While it's true that we don't know if Nerlens can play, having him in the fold to learn behind either Gortat/Nene (depending on where you put him) would be a real asset going forward.  Remember, his calling card is defense.  We had a great anchor last year in Okafor, and just having a presence in the paint who can alter shots etc. would be extremely beneficial. 

It's going to be real interesting to see which direction the team goes with their surplus of SFs. 

Not sure what's going to happen with Ariza, but IMO, this is as good as he'll ever get for us.  I think they're going to let him walk.

If thye re-sign him, you'd have to think that Porter will be the one to be traded.

Yeah at this point, I'm thinking I'd rather have Nerlens than Porter. Both are complete question marks. But we need a young big and Nerlens had better upside.

I really thought Porter was the best two way player at the top of the draft though. This season has been a major disappointment for him. I'm just hoping we don't blow it with him moving forward. If he busts, that's going to set us back. I think Memphis is the only team that's blown multiple high lotto picks (Thabeet, Mayo) and still come out alright from that.

This summer we have to let Ariza walk. Ariza is going to cost some money. I'm thinking he gets a lot more than the MLE. If you keep him then we've got no money left and you might as well trade Porter immediately and that was a waste of a pick. You let Ariza walk, sign Gortat, and use what little money we've got left to sign a stretch 4.

Wasn't one of our losses to Toronto the game where Wall had something like 4 steals and 20 points in just the 3rd quarter, but no one else showed up? And the most recent one, where Ariza, Beal, & Webster were ALL cold. I think Toronto is very fortunate to have 3 wins over us this year. They are again fortunate that we'll be without Nene. Hopefully our shooters come to play this time.

I feel like a smaller lineup will help us against Toronto. In the last game against them, I felt like they were killing us with speed and execution. If it's even possible, I thought it was one of those really rare nights when Nene was hurting us.

Maybe we can simply run with them tonight and hope our shots fall. (Although that team does play hustle D.)