Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

kevin seraphin ‏@kevin_seraphin 5m

Wow that was a crazy game . Selfie in the locker room ahahah #kslife http://instagram.com/p/k8hN9qjT0r/

I had the same reaction as Seraphin once the final buzzer sounded .lol

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/john-wall-blocks-kyle-lowry-end-first-overtime-video

Weak ****. lol

Edited by STBonecrusher21

Something just occured to me.

Do you guys remember the last Toronto game in which Wittman got tossed?

In that game we were getting killed by Toronto and then proceeded to go to a small line-up and almost stole the game.

Fast forward to tonight: Nene's out and we go small.

Basically, I believe playing a small line-up neutralizes (to a certain extent) the Raptors' quickness advantage.

Just an observation.

• Like 1

In that game we were getting killed by Toronto and then proceeded to go to a small line-up and almost stole the game.

Basically, I believe playing a small line-up neutralizes (to a certain extent) the Raptors' quickness advantage.

Just an observation.

Just an observation.

Makes them take the big out of the paint and go small too.  It was crucial.  Wall went off, drove a ton, and we got a TON of points at the rim tonight.

They had Amir Johnson at the 5 and Gortat went HAM and Johnson should have fouled out WAY before he actually did if the refs weren't home cooking the **** out of that game.

Gortat made Valanciunas his **** too.

Gortat was player of the game for me.  Just killed it.  Wall was a beast too but he made enough mistakes at bad times to keep Toronto in it.

Also, I made a vow that I'd learn the Polish national anthem if Gortat made his last FTs and we won it and that's what I'm going to do.  Polish Hammer has quickly become one of my favorite Wizards.  I love that guy.

• Like 1

And I've got to give respect to my man Singleton. I liked him and Leonard in that draft and its nice to see him getting some production out of his minutes. I mean between him and Miller our bench was looking respectable.

Also shot out to Temple for the key rebound and free throw that put the game away in the third overtime.

We've got to recognize our unheralded heroes.

• Like 3

What an exciting game. We were kinda hurt by Beal’s off night but Gortat and Wall really had fantastic games. Plus great game from Chris Singleton. Can’t say enough about Gortat. He really did the heavy lifting last night. Glad we finally beat those guys.

One more thing. I know Vasquez had a good game and made some timnely shots but it highlighted Buckhantz’s really annoying habit of overpraising opponents who went to Georgetown and University of Maryland.
It is O’Malley-like and really has to stop.

Great finish to February.

Next four games:

@ Philly on Saturday.

Home against Memphis Monday.

Home against Utah Wednesday.

@ Utah next Saturday.

Nice little 2 day break there after Utah.  Hopefully we get 3 out of 4 in this stretch, but I would love to see us win all 4 and keep the win streak alive.  We've got a legit shot at going 8-1 or 7-2 in the first half of March.  Now is our chance to really catch up in the standings and beef up our record.

Just an observation.

ohhh.png

I read WaPo on my way to work this morning and they said that:

In a desperate act in the final minutes of the teams’ previous meeting, the Wizards went small and discovered a way to finally match up with one of the Eastern Conference teams that has given them the most trouble. Coach Randy Wittman acknowledged that going with a smaller lineup was “something in our pocket that we have.”

With the Wizards missing Nene for the next six weeks with a sprained left knee ligament and Kevin Seraphin for the second game in a row with a sore right knee, Wittman went extreme with lineups that included 6-foot-9 forward Chris Singleton (13 points, nine rebounds) and Al Harrington both getting time at backup center.

“We went from big to medium to small to midget,” Wittman joked.

great observation

Edited by JoeWolf990
  • Like 1

Toronto went small too because Valanciunas was a train wreck.  They played Amir Johnson at C a ton.  Only reason they got away with that is because Nene was hurt.  Last night, being able to go big probably would have been ideal actually, but we didn't have the players to do it.  That's why the game was so high scoring IMO.

But going small is the playbook for nights where Valanciunas has it IMO.

That was a playoff atmosphere.  The refs let a ton of hard contact go.  Amir Johnson straight up leveled Andre Miller a couple times on screens.  And then Beal got mad and put him on his ass when Johnson tried to screen him.  No whistles, which I liked.  Beal was close to losing his cool a couple times actually when he didn't get calls on some of those jumpers that fell way short.

After seeing that game, I like our chances in a series against Toronto.  Toronto's biggest advantage over us (other than coaching) is their superior depth.  And yet they still had to run DeRozan and Lowry into the ground to try and keep up with our scoring.  Shorten those benches in the postseason.  I like our top end talent over theirs.

And, outside Valanciunas, Toronto is a small team.

Going small didn't kill us on the boards like it would most teams.  Singleton and Booker rebound very well.  I loved seeing Singleton play the way he did.  Just a lot of speed and size and grittiness.  I hope we see more of that guy.

Great finish to February.

Next four games:

@ Philly on Saturday.

Home against Memphis Monday.

Home against Utah Wednesday.

@ Utah next Saturday.

Nice little 2 day break there after Utah. Hopefully we get 3 out of 4 in this stretch, but I would love to see us win all 4 and keep the win streak alive. We've got a legit shot at going 8-1 or 7-2 in the first half of March. Now is our chance to really catch up in the standings and beef up our record.

We've already played @Utah and lost. We're @Milwaukee:

We need Beal to get his head out of his ***.  If the jumper isn't falling, start taking the ball hard to the hole.  Get to the line.  If this kid can figure out a way to score in other ways outside of jumpers, there is no way he should be averaging anything less than 20ppg.  Have to keep reminding myself that he's only 20.  LOL.

Refs were killing us last night and the early missed opportunities at the free-throw line made it tough to close the game out but WHAT A WIN. We sorely needed to beat Toronto.

One thing still irks me...

How many times will JW lose his handle on the ball in clutch situations? I know he's amazing and I should bite my tongue but it drives me crazy how often he turns it over in the lane late in games.

Beal has a lot of nights where he can't buy a shot, that's to be expected from a 2nd year player to some extent. The problem I had last night was that he wasn't dealing with the screen on defense well and they just kept easily victimizing him. Go over or under it but damn after the 10th time do something, anything, other than running directly into it and getting stuck there.