Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

If Durant does leave OKC to come here, I would want him to win a championship with them first. Unless of course they're playing the Wizards in the Finals.

From his comments, it sounds like if he wins a championship in OKC then he feels like they're going to win more and he won't leave. 

I want Durant to fail as much as possible in OKC, that will HOPEFULLY lead to a lot of criticism and vitriol, which will make his decision to bolt and come to DC that much easier. 

I can see that happening. The OKC media already insulted him during the playoffs last year. 

From another board regarding KD

There are always signs that a player gives when he is close to leaving a team.

1. Non committal to the present team when asked about their future team choices
2. Glowing review of another city
3. When asked why he did not use an early opt out clause in the current contract, his answer was" I didn't know." (He would have if he were wiser)
4. Last but not least and pay close attention to this because this is important.
When the player is asked about possibly joining another team, they say wonderful things about the other team or city and ends their sentence with "But I am happy in (fill in the name of the city) right now. The right now portion is important.

Now take it from me because I am from Cleveland and I watched LeBron do this song and dance for well over a year back in 09 until he finally left in 2010. I've seen this whole thing before, and I'm telling you, KD is gone as soon as his contract is up.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news. Just brace yourself because it's coming.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Some of y'all are setting yourself up for major letdowns if he doesn't come here to play. Why would a superstar give away any leverage when talking about the future? He may come here or he may be making sure OKC management keeps working on their roster. Personally, I hope he wins a championship in OKC cause I want the guy to succeed. There isn't a lock that if he wins one in OKC that he stays there.

If OKC loses Durant, then just how bad is their ownership?

This looks like another offseason where they didn't go after any decent vet role players because they were afraid to hit the luxury tax.

They went hard after Pau Gasol and they will be better this year than last year.

Some of y'all are setting yourself up for major letdowns if he doesn't come here to play. Why would a superstar give away any leverage when talking about the future? He may come here or he may be making sure OKC management keeps working on their roster. Personally, I hope he wins a championship in OKC cause I want the guy to succeed. There isn't a lock that if he wins one in OKC that he stays there.

We're not setting ourselves up for a letdown at all.

If KD decides to stay in OKC, well that's fine.

We'll still have boat loads of money to spend in 2016 regardless.

The main thing is it looks like we're a viable option for KD and that's all you can ask for.

We're not setting ourselves up for a letdown at all.

If KD decides to stay in OKC, well that's fine.

We'll still have boat loads of money to spend in 2016 regardless.

The main thing is it looks like we're a viable option for KD and that's all you can ask for.

Maybe not you, but some already think it's a done deal.

Basically, he knows we want him and we're going to keep our cap open for him. He'll have #1 priority over any other free agent. He will have complete control over his own fate. So it'll basically be up to how he feels that summer. If he's done with OKC, then he can come here and be happy. If he's happy in OKC, he can stay there and no hard feelings. We could spend our cap money on Al Horford or something.

A lot of things can go wrong between now and his contract expiring. OKC could always decide they'd rather trade him instead of getting nothing in return as well. I'd say the odds of a KD, Wall, and Beal trio are slim.

Edited by Destino

A lot of things can go wrong between now and his contract expiring. OKC could always decide they'd rather trade him instead of getting nothing in return as well. I'd say the odds of a KD, Wall, and Beal trio are slim.

Because they might trade him?

Not buying that at all

OKC is all in the next two years.

It's championship or bust.

He wouldn't be the first player to leave but want his former team to get something. Plus wouldn't a sign and trade allow him to get a 5th year? Then again there is no telling what the new cba will bring. Point is that I doubt that the wizards are going to simply sign him as a free agent. That seems like the least likely outcome.

As noted in today’s story about Durant and George, those two and Davis are locks to start for this team. I’d guess that Rose looks really good (like 90/10) to start at point guard and Harden is the most likely starter (65/35) at the two. Curry is the other possible starter at either guard position.

Outside of those six, which were assumed locks before camp began, it’s really hard to say that anybody else is definitely on the roster. Colangelo told Sam Amick of USA Today that it would be hard to carry more than two “pure points.” In the same quote, Colangelo says that Rose, Irving and Wall are points.

(Though we saw Curry on the floor without one of the other point guards for the first time on Wednesday, he’s definitely more of a two than a one on this roster. Colangelo calls Lillard “a tweener.”)

Rose is in, so it sounds like one roster spot will come down to Irving and Wall. Wall is the better defender, the better passer and, seemingly, the better fit. But Irving brings better shooting and a history with Krzyzewski.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/

So basically, they'll take Curry and Rose and another PG between Wall and Irving. Irving will probably get the nod even though he's less deserving because he is a Duke guy.

Not going to be rooting for him if/when he makes the team over Wall.

Not that it means anything necessarily......

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11288628/kevin-durant-oklahoma-city-thunder-talks-marketing-popularity

Kevin Durant: 'Just being myself'

It's not all smooth sailing among Durant's sponsors, as his biggest deal is in limbo. After seven versions of his signature shoe, Durant's deal with Nike expires this week, and sources say Under Armour, based in his home state of Maryland, is preparing a robust offer

I don't think that means anything, under armour is trying to gain some ground in the basketball shoe market and KD would be a huge addition for them no matter where he plays. I think Steph Curry is signed with UA currently and he's certainly not coming to DC.

Click on the link for the rest

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/07/31/michael-wilbon-on-kevin-durant-if-the-wizards-come-to-get-him-hes-ready/

Michael Wilbon on Kevin Durant: ‘If the Wizards come to get him, he’s ready’

Michael Wilbon read Durant’s quote about Washington — that the city “is a part of me, it’s in my blood” — and then asked Jason Whitlock what he makes of that quote.

“I make of it that it’s two years off and we’re already talking about it, which somewhat annoys me, but I also make of it that Kevin Durant’s probably going home,” Whitlock said. “And we need to recognize something about this generation of young people: They like to represent their area codes. The 317, where I’m from. What is it, the 306 where LeBron’s from….”

“202 or 301, depending on whether KD is going to be in the nation’s capital or Maryland,” Wilbon continued. “Look, they’re laying the foundation, the Wizards are. They’ve done all the right things. They could have jumped in the Carmelo Anthony sweepstakes this summer; they didn’t. And Carmelo’s not from New York. He’s from Baltimore, which is a whole lot closer to Washington than New York. But they didn’t, because they’re trying to gather all their resources and clear out a big pile of money…when it comes time to offer Kevin Durant the money.