Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I don't think it's a matter of if they think Porter is the answer or not. They had fun playing ball together and this is why players aren't GMs. In theory a GM should be taking that emotion out of the championship equation.

I agree. We don't have a good GM though, we have a clown content to build a team that's just good enough to keep him employed.

• Like 4

The fact Ariza hasn't signed yet is GREAT news.

Or maybe it means his price tag is climbing. Hard to tell what's going to happen because the SF market won't become clear until LeBron and Melo sign their deals.

Then after them you have Deng, Parsons, and Hayward as the next tier of SFs.

Ariza is roughly in a tier with Paul Pierce, Evan Turner, and Shawn Marion. We'd certainly prefer him over any of those guys. Pierce is probably a little more desirable than Ariza to most teams because he'd probably sign a shorter deal and there is still offense left in him and he can shoot just as well as Ariza.

I think we'll have to wait for Deng, Parsons, and Hayward to sign their deals to get the market on Ariza sorted out.

But honestly, I don't know if I wait. If Ariza will sign for 8 million over three years, then great. If he wants a fourth year, eh...

Otherwise, I think I walk away and pursue Patrick Patterson. I can use the Ariza money to get both him and Sefalosha IMO, and we get two shooters and rotation players for less than the price of Ariza.

Anthony Morrow is someone else I'd look into.

And hell, why not Vince Carter if he's leaving Dallas? He'd be a great fit for a year or two.

We should have options outside Ariza if we're willing to explore them.

Ariza would be foolish to sign too quickly. He probably knows what the Wizards are willing to pay and there are a ton of teams with cap space with a rapidly shrinking number of players. If you are a player like Ariza and can get an extra $2 million plus an extra year somewhere else, you have to go for it. This is probably his last chance to make real money in the league.

• Like 2

Just throwing this out there, but what about looking into a trade for Anthony Bennett? Think the Cavs would deal him? What would they ask for?

With March here long term (for better or worse), we've really only got the PF spot left as a place needing a long term answer.

I throw out Bennett because two of the things he did well in college were finish PnRs and shoot threes. He has a little bit of a handle and a face up game too. But mainly I like him for his potential as a force playing downhill in PnRs. He has a strong body, low center of gravity, and he's aggressive about throwing his weight around. Have him play next to Gortat and learn to set the kinds of screens March does and you've got something very interesting. Especially if he translates his 3 ball to the NBA.

Obviously he looks like a bust of a #1 pick. Going #1 overall to Cleveland was the worst thing that could have ever happened to him. Might be early enough in his career to salvage him though.

If we traded for Bennett and let Ariza walk, our lineup would have two #1 overall picks and two #3 overall picks and the oldest one (by a couple of years) would be 23.

And no small forward at the start of the season. :)

A 5 year deal?! Whelp... Sorry porter you have no shot in dc.

What's worse:

1.) Signing Ariza to 5 years and having Porter be a bust because he can't get into the rotation?

2.) Signing Ariza to 5 years, Porter is a stud, pushes Ariza to the bench in year 2 and makes Ariza untradeable?

In many ways, the second one is actually worse because of the money. The draft pick used to select Porter is a sunk cost whether he works out or not. But we'd still have to pay Ariza a ton of money.

Ariza's play won't be the make or break for winning it all, but his potential contract might stop us getting someone who's play is.

I give it a 5% chance Durant leaves OKC and come here in two years.

I give it a 2% chance Love doesn't get traded and hits the open market next summer with an interest in coming here.

I give it a 50% chance DeMarcus Cousins finds his way here in four years at the end of his new extension.

These are the only three scenarios I can see a greater than 0% chance that an impact FA coming here and elevate us into contention.

I don't really believe we contend with or without Ariza TBH. If we do contend within the next four years, it's only happening because Wall, Beal, and probably Porter got really damn good.

There were many instances last season where ariza was hurt or Webster was hurt, and the other was playing terribly and Otto still didn't crack the lineup. Then when he did, he didn't look all that bad. It's not completely his fault he didn't play. Ariza was playing well in a contract year, and Webster just got a new one. He was never going to play unless they were both injured.

In this league if you don't play, you don't get better. Happened to wall, happened to beal. We gotta give Otto a chance. Ariza is not the make or break guy of this team. So why should we pay through the nose? There may be better prospects in the future with the money we don't spend on ariza.

• Like 1

What are the plans with Singleton right now? In the K. Leonard draft, the two guys I wanted with our picks were Leonard and Singleton because both played the SF and 3 & D type positions. Singleton seemed to be in Wittman's dog house last year, but it could have easily been that he was a part of the log-jam at the 3 position. I remember him getting a lot of time his rookie year and having mixed results that many complained about. If we let Ariza walk, then We still have Porter, Webster and Singleton at the 3.

I guess, Singleton may have moved into the stretch 4 position, but I'm not sure how we're seeing him right now. I was impressed with him when he got playing time last year, but that was even less than Seraphin so its hard to expect much from him. I know we didn't pick up his option, but is he even being considered to come back, and is he getting offers elsewhere?

If Ariza gets inked to anything longer than 3 you can pretty much call a Otto trade

I really don't think thats too bad a deal if we can get something for Otto, and love or hate Ernie, he's been pretty good at getting trade value. I'm liking both the OakAriza and the Gortat trades as of late. The only time I was upset with one of his recent trades was Crawford and with the PG who went to LA and balled out. But if this is the route we take, I'd have no problem with it, but I'd hope we can get some value in return (hopefully at the 4 or 5).

Singleton is a min contract end of the roster guy for us. He just doesn't have the offensive ability to crack the rotation on a good team.

I remember coming out Singleton being compared favorably to K. Leonard. I think the difference with their development is that Kawhi was allowed to grow through his mistakes and Singleton got buried on the bench after a mistake. I really would like to see what he can give us at the 3/4, especially if he can play D and get his confidence back.