Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Well, good.  I'm really happy to hear that the team is standing firm on what they're willing to pay him.  I think Chandler Parsons is a much better player, but you'd have to think that Ariza believes that he's worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 12+ mil (seeing that CP got 15 on the offer sheet). 

Well, good.  I'm really happy to hear that the team is standing firm on what they're willing to pay him.  I think Chandler Parsons is a much better player, but you'd have to think that Ariza believes that he's worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 12+ mil (seeing that CP got 15 on the offer sheet).

God. That's a payday. Good for Parsons. But if I'm Morley, that'd be too much for me. That's a max deal for Parsons isn't it?

I like a Parsons/Dirk/Chandler front court though.

But I don't like Ray Felton as the PG for it.

I really want Ariza back. But I agree with not overspending. If they can get him at the 9M, awesome. If he goes elsewhere for more, then good for him.

His defense will be missed. Thankfully Wall had a huge jump in his defensive game last year. Hopefully that rubs off on other guys who could use a little more.

God. That's a payday. Good for Parsons. But if I'm Morley, that'd be too much for me. That's a max deal for Parsons isn't it?

I like a Parsons/Dirk/Chandler front court though.

But I don't like Ray Felton as the PG for it.

I think the going-rate for Parsons has pretty much priced us out of the Ariza sweepstakes.  I'm actually fine with that. 

• Like 2

They've posted the official signing of Gortat. I'm more and more ok with this deal. Yeah, you don't want it 5 years. But I think he's going to be a max effort guy the entire him. He plays well in his role with the guards. Considering his years players, he's got younger NBA body that most guys his age and position. Maybe it means little. But I'm really happy about this today.

We theoretically need 3 good seasons out of him. His fourth year may hurt us but fifth year won't be an issue as expiring contracts are not that difficult to trade.

I too am okay with the deal now. I think it's fair value for a good center and there is nothing better available.

Edited by No Excuses

I really, really hope the Wizards are basically forced into going with Porter this year. It would turn out to be a good mix of youth and veterans.

It's really amazing that the Wizards could have a good team next year despite having EG as the GM and he will claim credit despite not really having a plan. I mean, Wall and Beal were obvious draft picks on 95% of all mock drafts and what fans wanted. He trades a huge expiring deal for two players that help New Orleans clear cap space (can't even get a 1st round pick in return) and those players will have played 3 combined seasons here. Then an injury happened that forced a team in win or get fired mode to trade a first round pick in the deepest draft in years for a guy in the last year of his deal. (Does anyone think Gortat is a Wizard now if Okafur doesn't get hurt? I don't and yet he loves it here) The back up point guard he brings in is so bad that he is forced to trade a complete bust of a #6 draft pick for an aging vet to play 10-15 minutes per game. His other young players/draft picks are so bad they have to bring in 63 year old Drew Gooden to play big minutes at time. Oh, almost forgot bringing Nene over here for JaVale and while Nene is playing alright, is there anyone that wants Nene's contract on the books right now.

Basically, EG will have lucked his way into a potentially good team because his plan hasn't gone at all how he had hoped. I guess it is better to be lucky some times.

• Like 1

we have fans that just like making the playoffs.

I was going to comment on that as I see that in here alot.  Screw just making the playoffs.  I know some have said, "well it's better than what we've experience."  Bull****.  I want to compete for NBA titles.  I watched the Bullets compete for titles in the 70s and then watched them for many years in the 80s go 43-39, 38-44, 42-40, 41-41, 39-43, etc. etc. and bounced from the playoffs, all the while never getting an impact player in the draft because we didn't suck bad enough to win the lottery.

As a Capitals fan, I've witnessed the same thing recently.  Who in the name of Hey-zeus would want a bunch of one and dones or 2nd round exits?  I'd rather go 15-67 then to constantly be bounced out of the playoffs.  At least I knew where the team stood.  Winning between 38-46 games a years is loser talk.  I want 50+ wins and competing for O'Briens.  Thats the name of the game.

• Like 3

If Trevor leaves, then I want Otto pushed to start and then find a cheap backup. Another year of growth from the guards will hopefully take the pressure off of Otto who will basically be a rookie again with how Randy used him last year.

If you get a solid year from Wall/Beal/Gortat with Otto not being a liability and however many games you get out of Nene being productive. They are still a threat in the east. If the Heat fall apart. We'd be in contention for the division with that lineup.

We saved money by signing Wall to a max deal early. The cap jumped up a bunch. The first three years of John's max deal are cheaper than Chandler Parson's three years.

I thought max deals were percentages and as such, the cash amount adjusted upwards (and down) with any changes to the cap.

Edited by Destino

Please. I'm watching. Ryan said that's what the odds say. And Wilbon said that hasn't happened since they were the Bullets. I'm not a Wilbon fan. But he's simply saying that it's not something that's said in the NBA. It's true. We have to be there before anybody believes it.

Please. I'm watching. Ryan said that's what the odds say. And Wilbon said that hasn't happened since they were the Bullets. I'm not a Wilbon fan. But he's simply saying that it's not something that's said in the NBA. It's true. We have to be there before anybody believes it.

Eh, whether it's the Nats, the Wizards or the Skins, he never passes up a chance to take a shot at DC. Happens every single time. Literally.

What was Wilbon's reasoning?

Reasoning? What's that?

• Like 1

Bob Ryan on PTI just called us the favorites to win the East if LeBron bounces from the conference. And of course Wilbon immediately goes into hate mode.

I can't stand Wilbon. Nice guy, met him once at a fundraiser, but his complete pessimism for all DC sports and unrealistic expectations for Chicago sports is old and annoying.