Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Cavs became contenders, Hornets might improve unless the Jazz match, Bulls might leap forward if they get Melo, Pacers are still good, and the Wizards.... might bring last years team back? I'm not feeling inspired, which is the norm for a "good enough" Grunfeld team. I can't help but feel that a better GM might have had the wizards in the running for Melo or Bosh.

Cavs became contenders, Hornets might improve unless the Jazz match, Bulls might leap forward if they get Melo, Pacers are still good, and the Wizards.... might bring last years team back? I'm not feeling inspired, which is the norm for a "good enough" Grunfeld team. I can't help but feel that a better GM might have had the wizards in the running for Melo or Bosh.

I don't have a problem. The postseason experience that Wall and Beal got this year was invaluable. Barring injury, both of them are just going to continue to get better. And then who knows what we got with Otto. I'm not going to be distraught until Durant resigns longterm with the Thunder.

I don't have a problem. The postseason experience that Wall and Beal got this year was invaluable. Barring injury, both of them are just going to continue to get better. And then who knows what we got with Otto. I'm not going to be distraught until Durant resigns longterm with the Thunder.

What money will they have to sign both Durant and Beal? Giving Gortat and Ariza long term deals when Wall is already maxed doesn't leave enough to offer Durant a max deal and still match offers for Beal, who I think is an RFA that same offseason. Nene expires and I think Webster's is not fully guaranteed but that falls well short of the cap space they'd need for what would likely be two max deals (one cheaper than the other).

Wizards are painting themselves into a corner and gambling that Wall/Beal are enough.

Just a little info for you guys:

I post on a Terps board and the reporters who cover the program talked to folks...and pretty much everyone believes that the Wiz hired Adkins with KD in mind.

Granted, Adkins is more than qualified in his own right but it's believed that KD was a factor in this move.

Just relaying what I heard.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

Yeah Braves, I am. I just wish that our organization had a desire to go after a big time player like Lebron to at least add excitement to our organization, instead of just settling for mediocre. I think we'll be good and I am proud of the team this year, it's just we always settle for bronze instead of going for gold.

Totally agree.....not sure how a persons fanhood could be questioned, all because they want their team to show some interest when the best player on the planet because available in FA and we don't even show the slightest bit of interest.

Just saying, if we don't plan on trying to be the BEST, whats the point of owning a team?.…..

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21

I hope Wizards make a hard push for Durant nxt yr. Adding KD to Wall, Beal, and Gortat would definitely put us in contention every year for the foreseeable future.

You and every other Wizards fan with a pulse. Adding Durant would be a dream. We would win at least one ring if he came here.

Shooting our wad on Melo or Bosh wouldn't have been the way to step forward IMO.

I'm really curious to see if Bosh is still an impact player next year. He'll have the chance to shine...

And Melo would have had way too much of an Adrian Dantley to Detroit feel for me. I think he'd have ruined the vibe of the locker room. Been a hired gun that doesn't get with the rest of the locker room and clashes with our established culture, and truth be told, isn't as good a player as our emerging leader in Wall.

There is only one big ticket FA move out there for the Wizards to make that could put us in that transcendent category of annual contention and it's Durant. Maybe Love, but I think he gets traded and never actually hits free agency.

We are basically going to have a one year window to win the East next season if we maintain this current group. The East is in total flux. Nobody else is going to have continuity except Chicago, Toronto, Charlotte, and Indy and we proved Chicago is simply not as good as we are without Rose. And something funky happened to Indy, and there were points in that playoffs series where they didn't look as talented as we were. Toronto and Charlotte do not frighten me in a postseason format.

All we need is for the team to get to the postseason healthy. We don't have to have home court advantage. We just need our top eight to be good to go and we can win the East.

If you make it to the Finals, there is like a 4 out of 5 chance of facing a team with important flaws. The only team you know with certainty we can't beat is San Antonio. But I like our chances against OKC, the Clippers, the Rockets, Golden State, and Portland. Basically everyone except SA, Dallas, and Memphis.

Admittedly, Ariza is a big part of our continuity and competitiveness. If you lose him, we're absolutely weakened next year.

So... maybe the best play is to keep him on the most tradeable contract possible and then start looking to deal him the season after next. By that point, much of the East will probably have their crap together, specifically Cleveland. Porter will hopefully be better. And we'll be going into that summer hoping to court Durant.

Shooting our wad on Melo or Bosh wouldn't have been the way to step forward IMO.

I'm really curious to see if Bosh is still an impact player next year. He'll have the chance to shine...

And Melo would have had way too much of an Adrian Dantley to Detroit feel for me. I think he'd have ruined the vibe of the locker room. Been a hired gun that doesn't get with the rest of the locker room and clashes with our established culture, and truth be told, isn't as good a player as our emerging leader in Wall.

There is only one big ticket FA move out there for the Wizards to make that could put us in that transcendent category of annual contention and it's Durant. Maybe Love, but I think he gets traded and never actually hits free agency.

Agree with every single word of that entire post. Except the part about Love. He reminds me of Harden. I really don't think you can win it all with him as the premier guy. Maybe playing second fiddle to LeBron or something, sure. But not as IT.

Totally agree.....not sure how a persons fanhood could be questioned,

Yeah, I should probably apologize for that. His original post was pretty generic, similar to the bull**** you see from the haters (and trust me, I've been posting about the Wizards on here for damn near a decade now, I know them, their style, well), so I just assumed that's where he was coming from. You know what they say about someone who assumes? Yeah. I own it. My bad. Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.
  • Like 2

But how do we afford both?

I doubt Turd will be cheap if it comes to Beal and he has a small chance at Durant. I'm just worried we won't have the room for it. However small the chance we have to keep the possibility open. If not for Durant there are a whole lot of other players. For instance, I have a weird feeling that Demarcus Cousins will be on our team at some point in the future.

• Like 1

Agree with every single word of that entire post. Except the part about Love. He reminds me of Harden. I really don't think you can win it all with him as the premier guy. Maybe playing second fiddle to LeBron or something, sure. But not as IT.

Agreed. Love is a lousy leader IMO. I get the sense his teammates in Minny don't like him. You'd think a guy like him would be fun to play with, but he's way too quick to throw them under the bus. Also, when you're losing and struggling, it's hard to respect a guy who dumps on you while he himself isn't working on defense and is gunning for his numbers.

Losing Ariza is almost as important as keeping Wall/Beal, at this point.  If we wanna be serious about KD.

We don't necessarily have to lose Ariza this offseason to make it happen.

Making sure Ariza is on the most trade-able deal possible is important. But if Ariza keeps starting, he'll keep playing with Wall and so he should keep playing pretty well. If he's on 8 or 9 million per as either an expiring (3 year deal) or expiring in 2017, he should stay tradeable IMO.

It's a good sign we're sticking to that 9 million number. I'd prefer 8 million, that's what he's worth coming off last season, but there is some inflation going on this offseason. Anything over 9 has to be our walkaway point. And ideally, he'd only get three years.

But how do we afford both?

I don't really know.

Off the top of my head I'd guess:

1.) trade Ariza for an expiring,

2.) renounce Nene's cap hold,

3.) cut Webster.

That'd leave us only with Wall's 15.7, Marcin's ~12 million (hopefully we front loaded this contract...), and Otto's 5.9 million team option plus Beal's cap hold, whatever that may be.

Cap is likely to jump up by another 3 to 4 million next year. Then there will probably be another lockout. Then who knows... maybe the cap stays relatively flat, or maybe it continues jumping up by a couple million after that new national TV deal kicks in.

We're at 33.6 million in contracts plus I'm just going to get a 10 million dollar cap hold for Beal. With those numbers, and a projected cap of about 67 million,we'll have about 23 million in cap space. Factor in a few more holds for draft picks and such, but we should have enough to sign Durant to a max or near max deal outright. Then you probably match a max offer on Beal and you're a little over the cap but not close to the tax line. You've got the MLE to find a PF. And hopefully Otto and maybe someone like GRJr are good enough to give us a decent bench.

• Like 1