Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/grantland-exclusive-the-jason-kidd-mess-has-a-144-million-pricetag/

The NBA expects nine teams will end up having lost money once luxury-tax distribution and revenue-sharing payments are finalized. The Nets, with that monster $144 million figure, are the biggest losers. Next in line? The Wizards, with projected losses of about $13 million. That’s right: The Nets lost $131 million more than any other NBA team last season. This is what happens when you pay $90 million in luxury tax for an aging roster and play in a market so large you are ineligible to receive any revenue-sharing help.

So I guess we'll wait a few more years before getting our own d-league team

I would say that there isn't an owner in the NFL less like Dan Rooney than Dan Snyder. I've no doubt that all of the other owners in the league except Jerruh dislike Snyder and look down on him as one of the worst.

I suspect Jerruh only fakes a liking for Snyder so he can continue to teach him the wrong way to do things. 

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/features/david_aldridge/06/30/morning-tip-free-agency-2014-carmelo-anthony-lebron-james-chris-bosh-2014-draft-recap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt3b

3. The Wizards should go after Chris Bosh

I write this knowing the Pipe Dreaminess of the endeavor. Unless Riles spits the bit and doesn't bring in the requisite talent needed to impress the SuperFriends to stick around, the likelihood is that Bosh will stick alongside James and Dwyane Wade.

In addition, the Wizards are locked in on re-signing center Marcin Gortat and forward Trevor Ariza, both key cogs to a Wizards resurgence and playoff berth last season -- and both reportedly coveted by Miami.

But Washington needs to think bigger.

A team's contending window is never open as long as fans think or hope. Every team is an ACL tear away from irrelevance. The Wizards have one of the league's top young backcourts (John Wall and Bradley Beal), but that isn't a guarantee of anything. These days, staying the same is falling behind.

Assuming James returns to Miami, the Heat will, in one form or another, still be contenders. Indiana struggled in the second half of the season, but still made the conference finals. Chicago will be significantly better only if Derrick Rose returns to form, much less if the Bulls add Anthony or another impact player. Atlanta has a lot of cap room to add a player, and the Hawks will get Al Horford back from injury. Cleveland, Boston and Milwaukee should all be improved.

The Wizards only have commitments to six players next season for around $41 million. But, they have two players, Gortat and Ariza, looking for big raises over the $7.7 million each made last season. The suggestion here: re-sign Gortat, who was well worth the 2014 first-round pick Washington had to give Phoenix for him, and is necessary big man insurance (given Nene's history of injuries).

One would think Gortat would ask for the $12 million average per year Minnesota's paying Nikola Pekovic. If so, the Wizards could structure the new contract for Gortat to start it at a lower number -- say, $10.5 million next season. That would increase Washington's 2015 commitment to around $51.6 million and give the Wizards roughly $11.6 million to spend under the cap.

The next play would have been to find a taker for forward Martell Webster, due $5.3 million next season. But that has been complicated by Webster's back surgery last Friday, likely to keep him out three to five months. Washington would certainly have to add a future first-rounder down the road to get someone to take Webster. A hard sell. But not impossible.

If the Wizards could pull that off, they'd get down to $46.3 million in commitments, including that new deal for Gortat. And that would give them enough room to offer Bosh the $15 million per season deal he reportedly is seeking. If they can't clear Webster, the Wiz could double back and try to re-sign Ariza.

Bosh would be the perfect four to play next to either Gortat or Nene, and give the Wizards a three-man big man rotation that would rival anyone's. Bosh had to be a floor spacer in Miami, adding 3-pointers to his arsenal, and that would continue to be part of his role in D.C. But Bosh would also be able to once again be the low-post scorer he was in Toronto, with both Nene and Gortat able to step out and make jumpers.

A Wall-Bosh screen and roll would be a nightmare for opposing defenses. Bosh's presence would open up the floor for either Wall or Beal, and he was easily Miami's best post defender the last couple of seasons. Last season, he trailed only James for the team lead in Defensive Win Shares.

If the Wizards were to somehow convince Bosh, it would cost them Ariza, who could certainly wind up with James in Miami. But Washington has to find out if last year's first-round pick, Otto Porter, can play. You don't take someone No. 3 overall to come off the bench. If Porter could hold his own, Washington would have a pretty dynamic starting five with Wall, Beal, Porter, Bosh and either Nene or Gortat, and the Wizards could spend lightly to re-sign Glen Rice, Jr., as Porter's backup.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

If it gets a Bosh here it could be worth it.

They could get Bosh here without it. Plus, I'd offer to go sign and trade and move Nene's contract if that had to be coupled with a first round pick in 2016 or 2017.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/the-wizards-have-to-sort-out-the-priorities-among-their-nine-free-agents/2014/06/29/e5868586-ffbb-11e3-8fd0-3a663dfa68ac_story.html

“I love the team here,” Gortat said in April. “We can have something special here for the next three, four, five years.”

Marcin the Martian gets it.

take a discount........so we know the love is real

• Like 3

If it gets a Bosh here it could be worth it.

There are some clear problems in DA's thinking.

- The East is still going to suck next year. Boston, Milwaukee, and Cleveland will not improve simply from their draft choices. They'll still suck next year and probably the year after. Derrick Rose has also missed two+ years, his return alone isn't likely to elevate Chicago. The Wizards don't have to add Bosh to gain ground in the East, much less hold ground.

- Gortat is not worth a Pekovic contract.

- Bosh is not worth 15 million annually.

- Expecting Bosh to ever be the low post scorer and rebounder that he was in 2008 in Toronto is unrealistic. I'm not convinced the perimeter oriented, weak rebounding, finesse player Bosh has become is simply because that's what Miami wanted. They could use rugged big man play, low post scoring, and rebounding more than most. I think it's because he's getting old and we've witnessed the beginning of his decline.

- Trading a future first just to dump Webster while letting Ariza walk is clearly foolish. And betting on Porter and GRJr to come in and fill that void next season is foolish.

- Bosh is not a credible stretch 4. He's added a three ball but he's not good at it. It's actually the lousiest part of his repertoire and his perimeter orientation now makes him a less valuable player than he used to be.

- Bosh is a mediocre defensive big at best.

- Nene at 13 million annually, Bosh at 15 million annually, and Gortat at 12 million annually is bad spending and does not produce clear roster balance. Nene and Gortat have passable 18 foot jumpers, not good ones. They're absolutely both low post scorers first and foremost. They wouldn't space the floor for Bosh to do work in the post. Bosh would certainly be the one to hang around the perimeter and shoot jump shots out of the group. And Gortat would still be our #1 PnR roll man. You all know Bosh would be a very expensive long 2 shooter for us. With mediocre defense and rebounding. Not worth the cost IMO. We can find true stretch 4s for way cheaper.

Dianna Marie Russini @NBCdianna ·

Deal between Marcin Gortat and Wizards expected to be complete in the next few hours. #Wizards #NBAfreeagency

Dianna Marie Russini @NBCdiannaTold Gortat is looking for fully guaranteed money. Sources say deal is getting close between the center and The Wizards. #NBAFreeAgency

Per sources The Wizards have offered Gortat a 5 year deal for the center to return. #wizards #NBAFreeAgency

Here's the latest per sources on Marcin Gortat. The center has offers from the Wizards and 1 other team. #Wizards #NbaFreeAgency

5 years? Isn't that in violation of point 8 of the 10 point plan?

8. Add veterans to the team via shorter term deals as free agents. Signing long-term, expensive deals for vets is very risky. We try to add vets to the mix for two year or three year deals. They fill in around our young core. They are very important for leadership, but they must complement the young core (NOT try to overtake them or be paid more than them). Identify and protect the core. Add veterans to complement them, not visa versa.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/2/26/772915/ted-leonsis-shares-his-ten

Perhaps he agreed to less per year in exchange for a longer deal? Please please please do not be do not be more than 5 years 50 million. The last year being only partially guaranteed or even a team option would be asking too much wouldn't it?

So when will they announce Ariza's 4 year 40 million dollar deal with the last two years being player options? You know it's coming.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 3

Maybe the 5th year can be an option.

Shoot, I thought 4 years was long, a 5th year makes me uneasy.

BUT, if they can get him to take less money annually by giving him five, I think that's probably the smart play.

The risks:

- He's 30. A contract taking him through 35 is going to be extremely hard to deal if things go South.

- It's going to be hard to keep cap flexibility open for the summer of 2016.

The upside:

- He doesn't have much mileage on him for a 30 year old.

- He's an excellent fit both on and off the court.

- If he works out, we'll have our center figured out for the first half of Wall & Beal's careers.

If it's a 5 year 50 million dollar deal, that sounds OK to me. I don't think he deserves Pekovic money because Pekovic is a little better--a legit 18 & 10 big man with a huge body.

I also wouldn't mind seeing them structure the deal so that the first two years are front loaded so it could match a decline from Gortat as he ages.